PDA

View Full Version : False advsertising?

Jules
15-02-2011, 12:17 AM
I was told by the dealer today the Polo GTIs don't actually have static bend lighting (ie. when you turn the wheel or indicate, the foggy on the corresponding side lights up).

This is because the foglight unit has a single bulb. If you look carefully into the housing, there is a separate chamber on the outer edge of the unit which looks as though a bulb should go in there but mine's empty.

Funnily enough, the sport pack 77TSIs have them supplied with the bulb in there and it seems 77TSI owners with sport packs have functioning cornering lights.

Despite this, the brochure and even the owners manual states that it should be standard.

Has anyone with a Polo GTI actually noticed their static cornering lights working? :confused:

Frostee
15-02-2011, 06:04 AM
As far as I know the static cornerisng lights only come with the GTI when you order the Xenon lights option. I haven't taken delivery of mine yet so can't say for certain, however in looking at the brochure this would appear to be the case.

gavs
15-02-2011, 08:30 AM
I was under the impression on the GTI that the fogs themselves are just fogs and you need the Xenons as the option for the cornering light as the projector housing pivots sidways when you turn the wheel..... Don't know if there are any GTIs in the country yet that have the Xenon option though, I know of 1 arriving in April and 2 in June/July though ;)

Frostee
15-02-2011, 08:43 AM
Lol I know of another with similar timing :)

Jules
15-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Oh, ok then. My mistake. It was something the dealer told me would be standard but on close inspection of the brochure, it seems for GTIs with halogens and fogs, there are no cornering lights but the Sports pack does have them.

I don't think the GTIs with static cornering lights will have pivoting (side-side) projectors- rather there probably will be an extra bulb in the foglight housing similar to the Sport pack which lights up.

Koala007
16-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Are you kidding me?? I was wondering why my static cornering wasn't working, I just though it had to be enabled or something.
Mega disappointed now!
Wy would they leave it out of the GTi??

Gladiator
19-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah, mine as well. Tried getting the static cornering lights to turn on my 2011 Polo GTI. Couldn't get it to turn on. Going to have a better look in the morning see if a bulb is actually in there. :P Dealer also mentioned it had static cornering on delivery.

RoknRob
20-10-2011, 06:37 AM
I've got the xenons. Indeed, it is a light in the xenon housing that turns on to help you look around the corner, due to the direction of the reflectors, when you turn the steering wheel. It dims again, as you straighten up. A nice feature, and it works well. No pivoting lights within the housing.

apples
20-10-2011, 08:01 AM
Funnily enough, the sport pack 77TSIs have them supplied with the bulb in there and it seems 77TSI owners with sport packs have functioning cornering lights.

Mine has static cornering lights. I don't know if it's standard on TSI models or if I have it because I went with the sports pack.

Didn't even realise I had them until I turned into my driveway and the lights came on. It was one of those 'wow, how fanstastic' moments. It was early on and hadn't finished reading the manual at that stage.

Smacca
20-10-2011, 09:04 AM
Has anyone checked to see if the wiring harness exists for the additional lamp? Surely some bulbs, maybe sockets, and a little bit of coding will add cornering lights to a standard GTI...

Trepid4tion
20-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Thought i posted up these when i did the bulb swap out on mine, the spot where the cornering lamp would sit is nullified on ours (well i can speak for the 77tsi with sports pack anyway) and instead of using a dedicated lamp for the cornering it uses the fog light provided they are not on already, if the fogs are on they don't act as cornering lamps.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/10/IMG_0245-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_02421-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/08/IMG_02391-1.jpg

gavs
20-10-2011, 11:38 AM
If people are worried, you always head back to the dealership with press material from VGA regarding the vehicle specs and ask the question as to why it is not included. For non-Xenon equipped GTI's, they originally were the extra light in the foglight housing, this may have changed though with model year changes.

I can't check mine because I have the Xenons, but if someone with a GTI with the standard halogen lights could take a look, that would answer the question once and for all.

I'm sure there would be kits out there to retro fit this feature though if wanted, I just find it odd that they're using the foglight for the static cornering function when it points straight ahead. The reflector for the supplimentary lilght in the foglight housing as well as the xenon light quite clearly point sidways and the light will actually point sideways when they turn on.

RoknRob
20-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Don't know if there are any GTIs in the country yet that have the Xenon option though, I know of 1 arriving in April and 2 in June/July though ;)

I'm confused, gavs? Do you have the xenons or not? If you have them, you should be aware of at least 1 GTI in the country with them!

gavs
21-10-2011, 07:01 AM
Damn Rob, you really pulled that one out of the archives! The cars I was talking about when I posted that was mine, Frostee's and GTI JOE's! :)

Think I posted that back in february.....

RoknRob
21-10-2011, 02:08 PM
My bad, gavs...

I hadn't realized how old this thread was - first time I saw it was with Gladiator's post on the 19th...

Whoops!

:facepalm:

RoknRob
21-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Speaking of lights, does anyone at all find the unilateral reversing light useful? It is so small and dim to be practically worthless. Thank goodness I have a street lamp near my driveway. Wouldn't be able to see a thing without it.

And what about that "rear fog light"? A small, unilateral red light, right under the tail light?... and which can only be used when the (tail) lights are on... Surely I am missing something...