PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Xenons with LED running lights - upgrade to non-xenon cars?

sVWatt
14-02-2011, 08:14 PM
OEM Bi-Xenon Headlights with LED. For VW Polo 6r 2009+ listed on eBay.

Roughly $1600 a pair. Is that good?

Recon we could get it down to $1400 with a couple of buyers...

...thoughts?

Corey_R
14-02-2011, 08:19 PM
Keep in mind, that if you wish for your car to still be road legal/road worthy, you'll also need to get the headlight washers, headlight motors, and all the sensors which need to be placed around the car (or whereever they go in the Polo GTI) to perform the auto-leveling functions (which is dynamic as the car is driving, hence the need for sensors).

Without the sensors/motors and washers, your car is illegal in Australia with Xenons.

Thus far in history, you cannot install Xenons cheaper aftermarket than from the factory. This may eventually change, but that's still the case at the Golf level at least...

JaneAusten
14-02-2011, 08:20 PM
I think the problem is making it legal, meaning all the other components need to be installed into the bumper. Like the self-leveling thingy and the washing thingy. :-)

Frostee
14-02-2011, 08:20 PM
As far as I know $1600 is list price when fitted as a option from the factory. You'd want much better than $1400 IMO

sVWatt
14-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Cricky
How come it 'needs' to be self leveling. I would have thought the angle / alignment was a legal requirement, and that was it.

What has headlight washers got to do with keeping Xenons legal ?

There goes my Monday happy dreams :(

JaneAusten
14-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Corey, thanks for ruining my one chance to sound smart on this forum. Happy motoring.

sVWatt
14-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Smart is keeping each other posted. I am learning heaps - cheers.

As far as I know $1600 is list price when fitted as a option from the factory. You'd want much better than $1400 IMO

So can I order with the dealer now and they can fir for me - all parts needed - or is it from the manufacturer only at that price ?

Corey_R
14-02-2011, 08:42 PM
Corey, thanks for ruining my one chance to sound smart on this forum. Happy motoring.
lol.. sorry!

Cricky
How come it 'needs' to be self leveling. I would have thought the angle / alignment was a legal requirement, and that was it.

What has headlight washers got to do with keeping Xenons legal ?

There goes my Monday happy dreams :(

Sorry!
Regular headlights are "reflective" lights. So the light basically shines backwards and sidewards to the "reflector" which then has multiple faces which reflects it forward over a wide spread.
Xenon headlights are projector lights. You have a lens which highly focuses and projects the light forward. If you have dirt on the plastic headlight cover in front of the lens, it can cause light refractions which can blind oncoming drivers. Hence the requirement for headlight washers.
Also, due to the light being very intense, and them being "projecting", there is a very distinct upper cut-off in the projection so that it doesn't go into oncoming drivers eyes. But this means when you go over bumps or humps etc that it needs to firstly lower the lights (to keep out of drivers eyes) and then raise the lights (so that you can see more than 2 metres ahead) etc.

The main reasons that these kits exist is that not all countries require washers or self-leveling. But in Australia, both are required by our ADRs.

Corey_R
14-02-2011, 08:44 PM
So can I order with the dealer now and they can fir for me - all parts needed - or is it from the manufacturer only at that price ?

Factory orders only unfortunately. I don't believe that most (any?) dealers would install them at all.... :(

sVWatt
14-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Just spoke with the UK ebayer and he says some programing and extra equip is necessary ... So it's a no go for sure.

Thanks for the enlightening insights...no pun

Corey_R
14-02-2011, 09:22 PM
I personally find it annoying that none of these guys ever offer "the full kit". If they did, MAYBE it'd then be possible to install by the "adventurous" forum members!

Jules
14-02-2011, 11:52 PM
If I had the option of having a car with Xenons for immediate delivery, I wouldn't have hesitated. Retrofitting is just too hard to keep it legal. Then again, that doesn't stop a lot of people doing it. I know a few owners with retrofitted xenons on their MkVs. Some would argue as long as it looks stock and you haven't gone for BMW-esque corona rings, you may escape scrutiny, especially if they're properly adjusted. The worst ones are cheap retrofitted xenon bulbs that are the wrong colour (>5000K) in reflector units that scatter light everywhere (there's a Corolla and a Civic that live near me with them- horrible).

I love the xenons on my Golf. Makes a massive difference driving in the country. Not having them on the Polo isn't too big a deal as the standard halogens don't throw a bad light.

Thanks for pointing out the ebay link though :) I know my friend who also has a Polo GTI is interested.

gavs
15-02-2011, 08:20 AM
To give people an idea of why levelers etc are required under the ADR, we consistantly see with lights (mainly aftermarket driving lights) up to a 400% increase in beam intensity and distance over halogens. Some of the HID / Xenon lights reach their fall-off at around 800m, halogen around 200-300m so if a beam of light travels that far from a Xenon (using reflector technology), a projector lense then focuses that light into a concentrated beam, not good for anyone travelling the other way!

Hence why after being in a few cars with HIDs and outback driving at night, I will from now on pay for the HID / Xenon option :)

Corey_R
15-02-2011, 08:25 AM
Yeah... the Golf R's Xenon lights are sensational! In fact, on country roads when you're driving around with the high beams on, if you come up to a "sharp" corner with lots of reflector signs (you know the big yellow and black, or white and black arrows), you have to TURN OFF the high beams because it BLINDS YOU! (the driver! lol). They're awesome :D

gavs
05-04-2011, 12:59 PM
This is a sticky in the Mk4 forum, but seeing as the conversation has started here, thought i'd put this here for all of those who just hang here:)

Australian Design Rule 13/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles

6.2.9. Other requirements

The requirements of paragraph 5.5.2. shall not apply to dipped-beam headlamps. Dipped-beam headlamps shall not swivel according to the angle of lock of steering. Dipped-beam headlamps with gas-discharge light sources shall only be permitted in conjunction with the installation of headlamp cleaning device(s) according to Regulation No. 45. In addition, with respect to vertical inclination, the provision of paragraph 6.2.6.2.2. shall not be applied when these headlamps are installed.
Paragraph 5.5.2 basically says that if a fitting won't work just by fitting a globe, it's not considered a light. (Ie optional driving lights that aren't fitted aren't lights etc).

And regarding 6.2.6.2.2...

6.2.6.2.2. However, devices which are adjusted manually, either continuously or non- continuously, shall be permitted, provided they have a stop positon at which the lamps can be returned to the initial inclination defined in paragraph 6.2.6.1.1. by means of the usual adjusting screws or similar means.
These manually adjustable devices must be operable from the driver's seat.
Continually adjustable devices must have reference makes indicating the loading conditions that require adjustment of the dipped-beam.
The number of positions on devices which are not continuously adjustable must be such as to ensure compliance with the range of values prescribed in paragraph 6.2.6.1.2. in all the loading conditions defined in Annex 5.
For these devices also, the loading conditions of Annex 5 that require adjustment of the dipped-beam shall be clearly marked near the control of the device (see Annex .

So according to 6.2.9, the part of clause 6.2.6.2.2 that states manual adjustment is permitted, is NOT permitted in the case of HID fitment, ie, manual adjustment isn't allowed. So that means you need to comply with the previous clause, which is shown below:

6.2.6.2.1. In the case where a headlamp levelling device is necessary to satisfy the requirements of paragraphs 6.2.6.1.1. and 6.2.6.1.2., the device shall be automatic.
Therefore, automatic self levelling is required. (the two paragraphs mentioned refer to the actual specifications for beam angle etc).

But what about ADR 45?, well that refers mainly to signal lamps, but it does outline the colour variations permitted for lighting. I haven't converted the numbers to easy to understand form, but basically, white has to be white, not blue, yellow or purple. Ie 10,000K HID's are illegal.

Australian Design Rule 45/01 – Lighting and Light Signalling Devices not Covered by ECE Regulations

45.2. GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

45.2.1. Lamps shall be so designed and constructed that in normal use, despite the vibrations to which they may then be subjected, they continue to function satisfactorily and retain the characteristics prescribed by this Rule.

45.2.2. The colour of the light emitted shall be within the limits of the co-ordinates prescribed in Clause 45.2.2.1 for the colour in question.

45.2.2.1. Colours of Lamps- Trichromatic Co-ordinates

Photometric blah blah stuff.... Just keep it white (ie under 6500K).

Then we get to the gas discharge specific ADR's.....

Australian Design Rule 75/00 - Headlamp Cleaners

6 GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

6.1 The headlamp cleaner shall be designed and constructed to clean those parts of the light-emitting surface of the headlamp which distribute the passing beam and the driving beam so that at least the cleaning effect specified in paragraph 7 below is achieved.

6.2 The headlamp cleaner shall be furthermore so designed that:

6.2.1 When parts of the headlamp cleaner in the rest position(s) are on the headlamps' illuminating surface, the photometric values of the headlamps, .... blah blah, not more than a 5% reduction in light output.....

6.2.1.1 Paragraph 6.2.1. is not applicable when the headlamp and the parts of the headlamp cleaner referred to in paragraph 6.2.1. form a complete assembly during the approval of the headland;

6.2.2 During operation, except in the rest position, the mechanical parts shall not cover more than:

6.2.2.1 20 % of the illuminating surface of a passing lamp,

6.2.2.2 10 % of the illuminating surface of a driving lamp with no high beam.

6.2.3 It is able to operate at all temperatures between -10 degrees C and +35 degrees C and to operate satisfactorily at speeds between 0 and 130 km/h (or the maximum speed of the vehicle if it is below 130 km/h); .......... the cleaner shall remain undamaged if exposed to a temperature of -35 degrees C and of +80 degrees C respectively for a period of one hour;

6.2.4 In normal use, in spite of the vibration to which it may be subjected, its satisfactory operation continues to be ensured;

6.2.5 It will not be functionally damaged due to water, ice or snow accumulating on it during normal operation of the vehicle, even if the cleaning liquid is frozen; a temporary failure due to freezing or deposit of snow shall not be considered as damage, provided that the device can be made to work again by simple means;

6.2.6 Elements which may come into contact with the cleaning fluid must be resistant against a mixture consisting of 50 % methyl alcohol, ethyl alcohol or isopropyl alcohol and 50 % water;

6.2.7 Its parts do not hinder the adjustment of the headlamps or the inserting or changing of filament lamps; if necessary, the cleaner or parts of it may be detachable, if they can be removed with simple tools.

6.3 Parts of the headlamp cleaner which, in the rest position(s) and/or during operation, form part of the external surface of the vehicle, shall meet the following requirements:
6.3.x. goes on to basically state that there are to be no no sharp or pointy parts, like bonnet scoops but scaled down..... Have a read for the details.

6.5 In case of approval of a vehicle the following requirements shall also be met:

6.5.1 Cleaning of all passing (high beam) headlamps shall be compulsory. If there are more than two driving headlamps, the cleaning of one pair of these headlamps shall be sufficient;

6.5.2 If the cleaner has a fluid container this may be combined with the fluid container for the windscreen washers and the rear window washer.......

ADR 77 states the following items of interest:

Australian Design Rule 77/00 - Gas Discharge Headlamps

6.1.1 Headlamps shall be so made that with suitable gas-discharge light source they give adequate illuminance without dazzle when emitting the passing beam, and good illumination when emitting the driving beam.

6.1.6 The trichromatic coordinates of the light of the beams emitted by headlamps using gas- discharge light sources must be in the following boundaries:

limit towards:
blue: x > 0.310
yellow: x < 0.500
green: y < 0.150 + 0.640x
green: y < 0.440
purple: y > 0.050 + 0.750x
red: y > 0.382

6.2.1 The passing beam must produce a sufficiently sharp "cut-off" to permit a satisfactory adjustment with it's aid. The "cut-off" must be a horizontal straight line on the side opposite to the direction of traffic for which the headlamp is intended: on the other side .....(it can't be too high or low)...... A cut-off extending above a combination of these lines shall in no circumstances be permitted.

6.2.2.1 .....in the case of headlamps designed to meet the requirements of left-hand traffic, the "cut-off" on the right-half of the screen is horizontal.....
So dazzle and light spill above the horizontal (slightly higher on the passenger side) is a no go.

(If anyone can convert those trichromatic coordinates to a more 'real world' figure, I love you long time....)

6.2.5 Only one gas-discharge light source is permitted for each passing beam headlamp.
So no doubling up of HID globes in your headlights. Levelling is taken care of in ADR 13 above. ('aint the labrynth of ADR's wonderful??)

And ADR 78 basically goes into the specifics of globe design, specifics on the arc discharge (shape, photometrics etc) but I wouldn't worry too much about that, as long as you dont have blue or purple HID's.

gavs
05-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Links Here:
Third Edition Australian Design Rules
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 - Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 45/01 - Lighting and Light Signalling Devices not Covered by ECE Regulations) 2006

HID Specifics:
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 75/00 - Headlamp Cleaners) 2006
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 77/00 - Gas Discharge Headlamps) 2006
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 78/00 - Gas Discharge Light Sources) 2006

broxigar1983
05-04-2011, 02:22 PM
fixed links

Links Here:
Third Edition Australian Design Rules (http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/motor/design/adr_online.aspx)
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 13/00 - Installation of Lighting and Light Signalling Devices on other than L-Group Vehicles) 2005 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/5412C617FF524130CA25733E000F5458?OpenDocument)
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 45/01 - Lighting and Light Signalling Devices not Covered by ECE Regulations) 2006 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrument1.nsf/0/A68C336753853B61CA257164001640A0?OpenDocument)

HID Specifics:
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 75/00 - Headlamp Cleaners) 2006 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/management.nsf/lookupindexpagesbyid/IP200615565?OpenDocument)
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 77/00 - Gas Discharge Headlamps) 2006 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/management.nsf/lookupindexpagesbyid/IP200615581?OpenDocument)
Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 78/00 - Gas Discharge Light Sources) 2006 (http://www.comlaw.gov.au/comlaw/management.nsf/lookupindexpagesbyid/IP200615889?OpenDocument)

gavs
05-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Ta:) ooops, not 10 characters.

19-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Ok so dont flame me as im abit of a noob and dont know much and ive got a quick questions,
So ive seen that you can pick up a pair of the Polos GTI xenon lens online for about a grand, and i know that the HID lights are illegal to install without washers and other parts, BUT if i solely wanted them for the LED lights could i install a pair of the GTI headlight casings with the GTI lights and use my factory light bulbs and still make it legal, im not after the blue or white headlights i solely want it for the led lights, or am i dreaming and this is sill highly illegal

Corey_R
19-04-2011, 02:30 PM
The Xenon lights are projection based.

The halogen lights are reflective based.
Even if the bulb fittings were the same (I don't know if they are or not), I can't imagine the light output of a halogen bulb is enough to work in a projection housing instead of a reflective housing. And either way, I think it's primarily the projection design which means you have a legal requirement to have washers and motors and leveling sensors etc, not the fact that the bulb is xenon. (Since there are non-projection Xenons such as from Mazda, Honda, even Subaru? which don't have washers/motors/leveling sensors etc)

pologti18t
19-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Even if the bulb fittings were the same (I don't know if they are or not), I can't imagine the light output of a halogen bulb is enough to work in a projection housing instead of a reflective housing. And either way, I think it's primarily the projection design which means you have a legal requirement to have washers and motors and leveling sensors etc, not the fact that the bulb is xenon. (Since there are non-projection Xenons such as from Mazda, Honda, even Subaru? which don't have washers/motors/leveling sensors etc)

All HID headlights for Australian delivered cars MUST have washers and self levelling.

You can see this on Lexus with HID. Several models use reflector based headlights with HID and they self levelling and headlight washers.

The bulbs for HID reflector designs and projector designs are different (S or R suffix??)
HID bulbs don't work in halogen projector or halogon reflector assembles simply because the focal point of the light for each light source is different.

Corey_R
19-04-2011, 03:03 PM
Yeah - maybe I'm confused.... maybe they have projection lights with halogen globes or something...

Either way, as you noted, the designs are different and therefore not suited to swapping.

brad
19-04-2011, 03:25 PM

not sure if this helps (or they are what the OP is talking about) but:
*my 1997 Gen2 liberty had projector lense foglamps with factory halogen globes.
*my 2007 Skoda Octavia has projector lowbeams with factory halogens.
*my wife's 2011 Mondeo has projector low beams that do the up/down/side/side dance and even have a fake blue tinge but are halogen bulbs (I realised when I was trying to find the headlamp washers).
*possibly/maybe her VE Calais had projectors with halogen bulbs

PS: I don't think the light output is anything to write home about

Corey_R
19-04-2011, 03:45 PM
Thanks brad. Yeah, these are examples of what I'm talking about. They "look" like HID headlights, but they're not because they don't have the required washers and are often on cars below the price that you'd expect genuine Xenon lights.

I would presume they use a different type of bulb compared to a reflector setup, as pologti18t mentioned, and whether those bulbs would fit into a Xenon HID projector setup... I doubt it though.

gavs
19-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Well, my old man's captiva has Projector lenses with Halogens, the old Supras and Soarers had them too so It just comes down to packaging.

For dipped beam use, Xenons need to be in projector lenses due to the ability to control the throw of light. I have never seen reflector used with HID on a Lexus, Mazda or Honda, all factory fitted HID systems use the projector lense, otherwise you end up with a giant light blob and blind the crap out of on-comming traffic.

I am willing to be proven wrong though.... :)

brad
19-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Thanks brad. Yeah, these are examples of what I'm talking about. They "look" like HID headlights, but they're not because they don't have the required washers and are often on cars below the price that you'd expect genuine Xenon lights.

I would presume they use a different type of bulb compared to a reflector setup, as pologti18t mentioned, and whether those bulbs would fit into a Xenon HID projector setup... I doubt it though.

Well, the bloody Mondeo should have Xenon bulbs as Ford have wasted plenty of money fitting other useless "technology".

The halogen bulb is the same construction/dimensions whether it be in a reflector or projector housing.

The xenon bulb differs from reflector to projector housing. I always thought the R type bulbs were dodgy bulbs sold to show-offs as the reflector housing scattered light too much but obviously I'm wrong.

It isn't a hard job to fit xenons into a halogen projector housing. I'm not sure about halogens into a xenon housing though & apart from the OPs reason (wanting the LEDs), can't see why you would.

Diesel_vert
19-04-2011, 04:42 PM
The rules state that if the bulb output exceeds 2000 lumen (e.g. OEM HID bulb = 3200 lumen), then you need washers and auto levellers.

I don't believe projector or reflective headlamps have anything to do with the above rule.

GTI JOE
19-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Well, my old man's captiva has Projector lenses with Halogens, the old Supras and Soarers had them too so It just comes down to packaging.

For dipped beam use, Xenons need to be in projector lenses due to the ability to control the throw of light. I have never seen reflector used with HID on a Lexus, Mazda or Honda, all factory fitted HID systems use the projector lense, otherwise you end up with a giant light blob and blind the crap out of on-comming traffic.

Believe me, there are cars with that configuration on the streets. Big ball of blue light, looks like high beams are on all the time. Hopefully they will attract Inspector Plod one of these days.

pologti18t
19-04-2011, 06:38 PM

The old model IS200/IS300 had reflector lenses when fitted with HID.

http://liveimages.redbook.com.au/redbook/car/spec/LEXU0103.jpg

Certain old E mercs had reflector lenses when fitted with HID

Mountainman
20-04-2011, 08:54 AM

My Forester XT comes standard with reflector lenses and xenon bulbs with washers and self levelling for low beam and reflector halogens for high beams. The low beam does not adjust to high beam when high beam is on like happens in cars that have separate high/low all halogens. The xenon reflector (and of course the bulb) is different from the reflector in the standard Forester but this is not obvious to an untrained eye. It sure is when the lights are turned on though. My sister's Lexus IS200 had the same set-up as my Forester as far as I could tell and there are other models mentioned above also.

gavs
04-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Just to add a bit more technical info for those who feel the urge to blind the rest of us on the road by buying cheap retro fit HIDs off ebay:
intellexual net · m k i v (http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html)

04-05-2011, 01:38 PM
Sorry guys but i just had a question, as i dont wanna be one of those people blinding road drivers but are the phillips globes and the daybreaker(i think thats what there called) globes legal to install in cars or are they the same deal as the cheapo ones, im getting my car in about a week and as its a TSI no option of xenons but id really love a whitish looking light rather than the normal yellow tinge

Corey_R
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
Hey Geoffiez89, I'm not a "headlight globe" fanatic so I've no idea if they're HID or Halogen globes you're talking about. If they are HID then they are illegal. It doesn't matter how good the brand or quality is.

If they are Halogen and what you're asking is are they are marked improvement over the stock halogen lights in your TSI, then I think you'll find this thread interesting:
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/headlight-drl-driving-park-light-bulb-replacement-37426.html (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/headlight-drl-driving-park-light-bulb-replacement-37426-5.html)

It's from the Golf MK6 forum, but halogen globes are halogen globes, and these guys have had their cars for longer to talk about this topic.
Have a read through it and look at people's suggestions, but I think that one of the most useful links is from Maverick and from his "My GTI" site:
Halogen | my-gti.com (http://www.my-gti.com/category/lighting/halogen-lighting)
The last 3 articles on that link will be of particular interest.

sugilun
17-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Hi all,

I'm planning to get a polo GTI with add ons. Due to limited funding I'm not able to get the xenon light at the start. I just want to know can I get the car first and then install the xenon later?

TOny

William_Foster
17-07-2011, 09:43 AM
Tony, do a search and read through a few of the posts on this topic; basically you could, but it would end up costing a fortune and you would have a great deal of trouble making it legal. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

sugilun
17-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Thx Wil, what u're saying is it will cost more than $1600 if I get it later?

broxigar1983
17-07-2011, 10:36 PM
Yes, the lights on their own are around $1600, then you need to add head light washers (+new bumper & paint) and the auto level sensors in the car, so it can cost you up to $3k. You are going to wait at least 6 to 12 months for your car, so save another month or two and get your car then with the xenon lights and thing you want in it.

gavs
18-07-2011, 08:35 AM
^^^^ What they said.

To give you a break down in AUD (Based of internation supply and costs, you would have to add shipping plus australian stealer markup):
Lights: $530 each (UK dealer price)
Auto leveling kit with sensors: $463 (Kufatek price)
Headlight Washers: $ no listed price
Headlight washer piping:$ no listed price
Bumper modified and resprayed: $450 approx
Globes: $45 each

Sorry dude:(

Corey_R
18-07-2011, 08:46 AM
sugilun, I've merged your two threads here. If you want Xenon, get them from factory. 1) It's cheaper. 2) It doesn't make your car illegal. As you can see from gavs post, not even the regulars can find the required headlight washing parts...

The dealers will also not do this work, again, due to the legalities and costs involved.

sugilun
18-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Thx Corey_R. I have never though about getting an aftermarket xenon headlights :) All I was asking is getting the factory one afterwards :)

Corey_R
18-07-2011, 07:56 PM
Sorry... to clarify, we're not talking aftermarket here. We're talking about just that, installing the factory ones afterwards. Either way is illegal. Unless you install all the ancillery systems that gavs mentioned, it's illegal. If you DO install all of them, then I doubt you'd even be able to do this PROPERLY for under $3000 that some people have hypothesised.

So the best advice you will find, is what someone mentioned. If you order them now, you'll still have 6 months before the car arrives to save up! Just option them now.... or just be happy to wait until your next car :)

Hail22
18-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Look it may not happen now, but i have heard whispers of some German aftermarket companies and an Chinese group who are modding the original halogen headlight unit to factor in the LEDs, naturally the head unit as it is now will be hard to fit the LEDs in it.

With all new cars like the MK VI GTI aftermarket lights will filter through usually after a year....it's all a roll of the dice really.

Corey_R
18-07-2011, 08:42 PM
Whether the ADR's would allow them to be legally installed or not is another thing...

Hail22
18-07-2011, 10:02 PM
Whether the ADR's would allow them to be legally installed or not is another thing...

Exactly that and you need to buy the units from the UK if from Europe as anywhere else the light is completely a different height/config (due to left hand drive).

Patience is a virtue, i am looking for 5x100 stud pattern VW reps...and i'm finding it hard but patience will pay off xD

gavs
19-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Exactly that and you need to buy the units from the UK if from Europe as anywhere else the light is completely a different height/config (due to left hand drive).

Patience is a virtue, i am looking for 5x100 stud pattern VW reps...and i'm finding it hard but patience will pay off xD

Beauty of the Xenons though is that all that changes is the code in the ECU which gives you either the LDH or RHD beam pattern, that's another issue, if you don't get the Xenons, do they actually have the software to control the auto leveling already in the ECU regardless? Otherwise, that's something else you would need.....

Hail22
19-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Honestly i love my lights as they are, only comment here to give information the only thing i would change is the colour which i would get in Diamond white which is the brightest yet also safe on other drivers eyes and 100% legal had them on my old Pulsar, fantastic for country driving in pitch black.

Hail22
21-07-2011, 08:07 AM
So i have some holiday leave accumilating and was wondering from all the gurus on this forum whether it may be possible removing the Bi-xenon unit (headlight and all internals relating to the globe itself) and replacing it with a Halogen (general headlight) unit/globe.

But first things first...is this possible, also guessing i will need to get an algorythm to fix the error if it decides to pop it's ugly head out on my dash.

So let the think tank begin!

Corey_R
21-07-2011, 08:45 AM
*scratches head, confused*

Xenon = HID

Not really sure what you want to do?!

pologti18t
21-07-2011, 09:17 AM
LOL. Will be in interesting project if you don't know that bi-xenon is HID.

Hail22
21-07-2011, 11:18 AM
Lol my bad, i want to change the globe to halogen/general headlight that the stock GTI gets/TSI...was meant to say that >.< it was early ok! and gti18t, your the only member i really do not like reading replies from as you seem like the resident forum troll.

reason behind it is to get the LED DRL's but obviously not going full conversion with washers etc etc

broxigar1983
21-07-2011, 11:32 AM
So you want to got from stock to Xenon? or Xenon to Stock? DIPS ON YOUR XENONS if you want to got to stock head lights, you can take my standard head lights...

JexL
21-07-2011, 11:42 AM
he wants to install the Xenon + LED housing but instead put in a halogen globe so that he doesnt need all the extra expensive stuff like washers and the self leveling etc etc. This way you get all the cosmetic benefits of the DRL and projectors but at a lower cost. i have also wondered about this in the past

broxigar1983
21-07-2011, 11:55 AM
he wants to install the Xenon + LED housing but instead put in a halogen globe so that he doesnt need all the extra expensive stuff like washers and the self leveling etc etc. This way you get all the cosmetic benefits of the DRL and projectors but at a lower cost. i have also wondered about this in the past

Ah, ok. If I'm not mistaken this has been discussed in one of the other threads, can't change housings as they are totally different and something else. I know this because I also wanted to get the DRLs with normal lights.

Corey_R
21-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Agreed. Even more bizare because Hail22 was the last to post in that thread!
Threads merged.

gavs
21-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Honestly, you will be better off installing the whole projector light assembly but to make it all work, damn. The looms to the lights are different, you will need to remove your foglight-placed static cornering lights because then you will be exceeding the regulated amount of forward facing lights, there will be a whole lot of cutting / splicing / soldering / heat-shrinking going on.... On top of that you will need to work out something with the levelling of the projector lense because your headlight beam isn't going to be as strong, then re-program the ecu....

To me it would be easier just to do the full Bi-Xenon conversion if it would work but again, the lighting looms are different

Don't get me wrong, it can be done but geez it's a lot of work and I know why you would want to do it but you will need to toss up if all the headaches are worth it.....

Corey_R
21-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Yeah... the cost to do this legally is not quite known yet, as no one has ever bothered once they realise what is required. I'd say that you'd need to at least budget $3000 plus labour if you can't do it all yourself. gavs mentioned in a previous post the things that you're going to need (may be more though, considering it hasn't been done and dealers won't do it).

Hail22
21-07-2011, 01:19 PM
Just like my ABT upgrade, it took over 6 months to even come to a decision i will research it further there has to be a way around it. However i won't lose sleep as i am just looking to get the bluemotion grill, change my current wheels/or paint them matte black and finally rear hatch spoiler the lights are merely an added bonus if it's easy to achieve so meh xD

So i think i may hit the web when i'm free to see if it's possible if it is i will share it, if you all like >.<

pologti18t
21-07-2011, 01:43 PM
it was early ok! and gti18t, your the only member i really do not like reading replies from as you seem like the resident forum troll.

My pleasure :)