PDA

View Full Version : Question on Mirrors & Tyres

datracer99
21-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Just picked up my GTI - absolutlely loving it.
Picked it up on friday, when it was raining heaps in Sydney.

So much fun, even in the wet. Now I remember why I was prepared to wait 2 months for delivery, rather than buying an MPS.

I've been checking out lots of the tech threads on the site since I ordered the car - very helpful, as I know more about the cars, and what they do now than most of the guys at the dealership.

I was a bit surprised to see that the tyres aren't continentals. They are bridgestone RE050s. I thought all of the GTIs cam with continentals. Not that I'm complaining, the RE050s topped the Wheels tyre test this year, but I'm curious whether this is normal.

I'm also curious about the wing mirrors. On mine the drivers mirror is convex, and the passenger mirror is flat. This is backwards from any other right hand drive car I've been in. I would prefer a flat mirror on the drivers side.
Looks to me like I've got the LHD mirrors.

Before I harass the dealer, I'm wondering - what do others have - flat or convex drivers mirror?

drb999
21-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Just picked up my GTI - absolutlely loving it.
Picked it up on friday, when it was raining heaps in Sydney.

So much fun, even in the wet. Now I remember why I was prepared to wait 2 months for delivery, rather than buying an MPS.

I've been checking out lots of the tech threads on the site since I ordered the car - very helpful, as I know more about the cars, and what they do now than most of the guys at the dealership.

I was a bit surprised to see that the tyres aren't continentals. They are bridgestone RE050s. I thought all of the GTIs cam with continentals. Not that I'm complaining, the RE050s topped the Wheels tyre test this year, but I'm curious whether this is normal.

I'm also curious about the wing mirrors. On mine the drivers mirror is convex, and the passenger mirror is flat. This is backwards from any other right hand drive car I've been in. I would prefer a flat mirror on the drivers side.
Looks to me like I've got the LHD mirrors.

Before I harass the dealer, I'm wondering - what do others have - flat or convex drivers mirror?

I got the same on both counts, the tyres and the mirrors are exactly as you describe. However I've got a turbo Jetta and not a GTI. I know some of my friends with GTIs do have Continentals though.

Subie25L
21-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Got mine 07 spec in December.
It has the conti's and both mirrors are convex. The drivers side has a little more convex at the outer edge with a vertical dotted line indicating where it curves more.

datracer99
21-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Bummer. I was hoping mine was a mistake.

Does anyone know if flat drivers side mirrors are available anywhere?
I keep cutting other cars off cause I think they are further back than they actually are. n:
I hate having to turn my neck to see if cars are there, and like using the mirrors, just not convex one on the drivers side.

pinzvidz
21-05-2007, 05:44 PM
Hmmm... we have Dunlops (German made) on our 3 door GTI. Didn't know they were throwing on Bridestones as well. In the same boat with the mirrors, I think having the convex on the right is a great idea, works a treat.

briseos
21-05-2007, 07:15 PM
have MY05 2.0 TDi in Sportline Spec... got the beautiful Conti SportContact 2 tyres on the sportline 16"s and have not seen any Golf Vs of any type in Qld with anything but the broader convex on the left and progressive convex on the right - they are the best mirrors I have ever used once you get used to them!!

REDMKVGTI
21-05-2007, 09:52 PM
I've got the same as you on both accounts, love the mirrors and they tyres dont seem to shabby either.

Splashalot
21-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Interesting discussion - we test drove the GTI on Saturday with convex driver's external mirror, which I hated - couldn't judge the distance to following traffic at all.

Is there a flat mirror available?

Loved the GTI - can't praise it highly enough. But red or white......?! Decisions. ;)

SS

VWGTi
21-05-2007, 10:52 PM
Got the Conti's, but mirrors are both convexed - and the right hand side is a little more on the outer edge ...

Red or white GTI - i'd go the white... but personally love the shadow blue ;)

Subie25L
22-05-2007, 12:44 PM
broader convex on the left and progressive convex on the right - they are the best mirrors I have ever used once you get used to them!!

I agree - took a little to get used to them but now love them. Mine as a dotted line out near the edge, and from where i sit and how i have the mirrors adjusted, if the car is out past the dotted line then it is save to change lanes as long as they are not screaming up on the right.

DaveMack
22-05-2007, 03:49 PM
... is your 'blindspot' mirror - actually wish we had these on both sides as I've (twice now) visually 'lost' a vehicle coming up the inside lane ... luckily without a "CRUNCH!" to follow. :rolleyes:

Dave

anarchycamp
22-05-2007, 03:51 PM
From what i know, because the stock of Conti SC2's would have been drying up due to the release of SC3's they started using other options for tyres.

Still not a bad tyre though!!

trippyfoo
01-06-2007, 11:29 PM
Yeah, i was going to say that too .. most of the premium tyres are going to be pretty good.
Im curious to see what tyres are guna be shod on mine when it arrives.
But I'd be happy with the bridgestone, got a great write up in the recent tyre comparison test in Wheels mag.
Be interesting to see what rolling stocks arrive for all the cars in the next few months.

bbqrose
02-06-2007, 08:19 PM
well i have the goodyears eagle nct 5 tyres on all 4, but the spare tyre is the continental one on my 2.0 fsi comfortline