PDA

View Full Version : Which engine for new Polo?

jfranek
29-01-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi guys,

Could you please give me pros and cons of these engines (both with DSG) -

1.4 63 kW
1.2 TSI 77 kW

Would the 63 kW be enough for this car ? - it's for my daughter just for city driving.
Is this engine an old technology?
On the other hand, could the non-turbo engine result in smoother operation with the DSG ?

Any feedback is appreciated

Joe

break
29-01-2011, 02:40 PM
There's certainly nothing wrong with the 1.4L motor, but the 1.2 TSI certainly feels a lot perkier thanks to the increased torque of the turbo setup.

For city driving, either will do the job well. In terms of servicing, you'll likely find the 1.4 is cheaper to look after due to the fact it hasn't got a turbo to maintain.

Diesel_vert
29-01-2011, 02:56 PM
Extracted from WhatCar UK:

There’s plenty of choice – seven engines and five trims – but we wouldn't bother with the three-cylinder 1.2 petrols because they’re underpowered and noisy. The 1.4 is more like it – smooth, cheap to run and reasonably affordable – while the 1.2 turbo is even easier to live with, if a bit pricey, and the GTI uses a turbocharged and supercharged 1.4.

Would the 63 kW be enough for this car ? - it's for my daughter just for city driving.

I suppose the biggest difference is the torque output (132 Nm vs. 175 Nm) and when it comes in (3800 rpm vs. 1500-3500 rpm) so like any naturally aspirated engine, you'd have to rev the 1.4 more, which also explains why it consumes more fuel than the 1.2 turbo. On the other hand initial throttle response of the 1.4 would be better. A test drive of both versions should determine if the 1.4 would be sufficient.

On the other hand, could the non-turbo engine result in smoother operation with the DSG?
Possibly, but again you'll only find out on a test drive comparison.

Also the 1.4 is only available here as a 3 door, if that matters.

JaneAusten
29-01-2011, 08:14 PM
This is pretty simple, the TSI is much better overall but it is more expensive. Go test drive and see if you think the difference is worth it. But personally I drove both of them in manual and I just find the TSI less frustrating to live with. Extra torque low down seriously helps.

jaedencook
29-01-2011, 09:58 PM
I just thought i'd add to the 1.2tsi, def test drive it before any decisions are made, although it has more torque and will get up and go, it has alot of turbo lag, adding to this almost no boost in 1st..
I've noticed boost in general with the turbo isnt at its full unless you ride the rev range through each gear, sometimes i swear i hear it dump the boost if im not being aggresive enough which can be disappointing.

As everyone has said, test drive them. It would be worth seeing what engine suites your driving style.

kaanage
29-01-2011, 11:51 PM
I've driven the 63kW 1.4 DSG as a courtesy car and for normal, unaggressive commuting, I think it has more than enough power and torque - in fact I was very surprised by how low the rpms were when it would shift when driving with light throttle. It was very refined and I was particularly impressed by how smooth the down shifts were when 'manually' shifting. The interior is certainly a lot more basic than the TSi but you can weigh up the cost difference with your daughter.

And my normal car is a 1.9 Polo TDi (9N3) so I know what torque is.

jfranek
30-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Thanks very much, everybody.
I just thought that the 1.4 might be something very out of date. Glad to hear that it is not.
My daughter will buy the car in Slovakia, the 1.4 DSG is available there in all trim levels. She will have to buy from dealer stock, the waiting time would otherwise be 5 months. They have both, the 1.4 DSG and the 1.2 TSI DSG in limited stock with various extras, all seem to be 4 doors. The TSI is 900 euro dearer and for a low mileage city driving it would take too long to get the money back.

Joe

polodrivercom
02-02-2011, 01:41 AM
Hi, we've tested both and would say the 1.4 DSG should be more than adequate for the town driving your daughter would be doing: PoloDriver.com first drives: new 2009 Volkswagen Polo range (http://www.issuu.com/polodriver/docs/polodriver_2009_new_polo_first_drive)

The TSI does have more of a turn of speed, does sound sportier, and offers a more spirited drive, but in all honesty might be be more than she needs: PoloDriver.com first drives: 2010 Volkswagen Polo SEL 1.2 TSI and BlueMotion 1.2 TDI (http://www.issuu.com/polodriver/docs/volkswagen_polo_tsi_bluemotion_drives)

Rich

Jasonpb
03-02-2011, 08:15 AM
own a 1.2 and test drove all three of the polo's, obviously went with the 1.2 as that was my preference. Not sure about the turbo lag, people really need to drive some cars with larger turbos to find out what turbo lag actually is.

BR @ ON
03-02-2011, 06:44 PM
I got the 1.4 NA, simply because it's the only one with 3 doors.
I am not going to pretend I want to carry more people in my Polo, and YES it is adequate in town driving and/or high speed interstate drive (which I do weekly)

If I want to carry more people on the regular, which I might in the future, would simply upgrade to the new face Tiguan, which my dealer said would come out this year... Since 3 door and 5 door are identical size, and no one will appreciate the "get-by" size at the back anyway...

ChristopherJ
06-02-2011, 01:04 AM
I just thought i'd add to the 1.2tsi, def test drive it before any decisions are made, although it has more torque and will get up and go, it has alot of turbo lag, adding to this almost no boost in 1st..
I've noticed boost in general with the turbo isnt at its full unless you ride the rev range through each gear, sometimes i swear i hear it dump the boost if im not being aggresive enough which can be disappointing.

As everyone has said, test drive them. It would be worth seeing what engine suites your driving style.

I have to say I agree about the slight lack of grunt in first, had my TSi 3weeks and hoping it picks up a little in the near future with more k's on the clock. My Brothers 2.0 Golf is easily more effortless then the Polo and even my old 94 626 seems to feel a little quicker especially when not driving hard, which I have to say I never do, makes me think I may have to change my driving style to suit a Turbo, time will tell.