PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Yeti - Top Gear "Review"

bobski
24-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Pretty funny IMO. Especially the tattoos...:facepalm:

Part 1...
YouTube - Top Gear Skoda Yeti Test part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxn1TB523ZE)

Part 2...
YouTube - Top Gear Skoda Yeti Test part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqtEhOoNgPk)

Edit: Sorry - URLs have been taken down by the author. Perhaps someone who saw them can describe them via interpretive dance? (or you could wait til that top gear episode airs)

Edit 2: Found again (thanks Jake02).... http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-uk-season-16-episode-1_2192556.htm

sabloke
24-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Amazing car, the Yeti. Looks like it's a hit in UK since there's a 6 moths waiting list for it.

Transporter
24-01-2011, 09:02 PM
That's cool, especially like that helicopter landing on the Yeti's roof. :cool:
I'm sure it will be hit in OZ, if they advertise well.

CanberravRS
24-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Simply amazing and just adds to brand.. Well done Top Gear for actually doing a solid review, that is as funny as hell too.

bobski
24-01-2011, 09:26 PM
It seems that Skoda isn't mucking around and have a complete range of very competitive cars.

If there is a 6 month waiting list, you can see why its taking so long to get to the bottom of the world. I doubt we'd be far up the priority list.

sabloke
24-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Talking about brands, UK buyers voted Skoda #1 in the customer satisfaction survey while VW is #19. How can the gap between the two be so huge when they use the same engines, gear boxes and platforms?!

The Yeti makes much more sense that the Tiguan IMHO. A breath of fresh air compared to VWs take on the RAV :)

Jake02
24-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Makes me want one even more now! I saw in one today in Christchurch Skoda and it's still as cool as I remembered and in silver, it's got lots of character too. A car well done Skoda!

bobski
25-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Talking about brands, UK buyers voted Skoda #1 in the customer satisfaction survey while VW is #19. How can the gap between the two be so huge when they use the same engines, gear boxes and platforms?!

The Yeti makes much more sense that the Tiguan IMHO. A breath of fresh air compared to VWs take on the RAV :)

While it could be untrue, I read somewhere its because the Czechs like sticking it up the Germans, so they try to do a better job.

Agree with the Tiguan comment, but I think the Tiguan looks a bit nicer. Would be an interesting comparison!

K1W1
25-01-2011, 06:02 AM
Amazing car, the Yeti. Looks like it's a hit in UK since there's a 6 moths waiting list for it.

I don't believe that's correct. From what I've seen the wait is 12-16 weeks just like it is here. Obviously it will vary a little though.

Inego
25-01-2011, 07:33 AM
evo magazine (UK) fitted their Yeti with Dunlop Direzza tyres and took it around their test track - it did a better time than the Renault Clios. It will be interesting to see how it sells here, and whether stock is an issue....

Corey_R
25-01-2011, 07:51 AM
Was that really Sienna Miller? I mean, I know that she's been on the show before and all. Also, just how did they get her head in that glove box?

hehe, anyway, I thought it was a great review :)
When is the Yeti coming to Australia?

Red dust
25-01-2011, 08:22 AM
Could not watch the youtube clip since it was blocked.

sabloke
25-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Was that really Sienna Miller? I mean, I know that she's been on the show before and all. Also, just how did they get her head in that glove box?

Yes she was! It goes to show Clarkson can do anything he wants, pretty much :D

Brycem
25-01-2011, 01:42 PM
remember Kiwi that cars get to the UK much quicker from Czech Republic and that much of the delay here is transportation time.

The Yeti has been a great success in the UK and Skoda sold very well overall in 2010.

Click on the link below and then on the download report option to see who sold what in UK in 2010. Skoda sold 41,240 cars in UK in 2010. Up 10%.

SMMT - Detailed Article (http://www.smmt.co.uk/articles/article.cfm?articleid=22954)

spaz74
25-01-2011, 02:16 PM
Could not watch the youtube clip since it was blocked.

I got the same thing

bobski
25-01-2011, 02:20 PM
Sorry - looks like they've taken it down.

Ryan_R
25-01-2011, 02:58 PM
If you're the type of person to use, erm, streams of water, go grab it from www.finalgear.com

I watched it yesterday - was a good episode, and a good review. I was impressed at how fast it was on the circuit as well. Am I right in thinking it's slightly cheaper version of the Tiguan?

Jake02
25-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Link to the full episode (Yeti happens about 1/3 through):

Top Gear UK Season 16 Episode 1 - Car Videos on StreetFire (http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-gear-uk-season-16-episode-1_2192556.htm)

You're welcome :).

Transporter
25-01-2011, 03:18 PM
While it could be untrue, I read somewhere its because the Czechs like sticking it up the Germans, so they try to do a better job.

You've got it. And it is easy to figure out when you know about the demographics of the production line workers in Germany and in Czech republic. :)

More about VW and Czech influence. Who inspired who? Map of Volkswagen Beetle - The Full Wiki (http://maps.thefullwiki.org/Volkswagen_Beetle) just scroll it to "Conflict with Tatra" Just in case that you don't know what the Tatra is. It is the 2nd oldest car manufacturer in the world that is still making vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatra_97#Resemblance_to_KdF-Wagen_.2F_Volkswagen_Beetle

spellbound
25-01-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't believe that's correct. From what I've seen the wait is 12-16 weeks just like it is here. Obviously it will vary a little though.

I noticed on a UK forum a guy ordered an RS in oct , told early jan , blown out to march/april , same as our wait when you tailor make .

Skoda are brimming with orders for all markets , UK love their reliability as does germany .

sabloke
25-01-2011, 06:20 PM
People tend to forget that Skoda is manufacturing automobiles since 1905. I don't know many other manufacturers with so much heritage. Do you? So, I wouldn't call the Yeti a cheaper version of the Tiguan, just like I wouldn't look at the Octavia as a cheaper Golf. They're great cars in their own right, better value for money and according to the poms at least, better built too!

Ryan_R
25-01-2011, 06:46 PM
Fiar enough - was just asking. My guess was due to the fact that VW own Skoda and the interior seems to share a lot of VW parts (i.e. the Climatronic and RNS/RCD stood out to me in that film.

Question though - would you actually buy a car with that name? I'm not so sure I could. I would probably pay a bit more for the Tiguan to avoid the name 'Yeti' actually.

sabloke
25-01-2011, 06:49 PM
Ha ha, how exactly is a mix of tiger with the iguana better than a big furry man with huge feet? I'd go the other way, never buy a car that looks remotely like a Toyota! :)

Transporter
25-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Fiar enough - was just asking. My guess was due to the fact that VW own Skoda and the interior seems to share a lot of VW parts (i.e. the Climatronic and RNS/RCD stood out to me in that film.

Question though - would you actually buy a car with that name? I'm not so sure I could. I would probably pay a bit more for the Tiguan to avoid the name 'Yeti' actually.

I own Tiguan and I wouldn't have a problem to buy Yeti. ;)

K1W1
25-01-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't particularly like either the name or the shape but when it comes time to buy a new car I will be looking at one because I have decided to go back to that sort of vehicle. I'll probably be comparing it against whatever the Scout is at that stage.

Transporter
25-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Ha ha, how exactly is a mix of tiger with the iguana better than a big furry man with huge feet? I'd go the other way, never buy a car that looks remotely like a Toyota! :)

It doesn't look like Toyota at all. If anyone thinks that Tiguan looks like Toyota click here (http://www.opsmdirect.com.au/contactus.html). :)

K1W1
25-01-2011, 08:59 PM
If Skoda Australia don't have full page ads for the Yeti "coming soon contact your dealer" in major papers the day after that Top Gear episode goes to air on Ch 9 they really are crazy.

Jake02
25-01-2011, 09:17 PM

At least the name gives some sort of idea of the car's ability; WTF is a Tiguan anyway? Tiger + Iguana does not equal a good name IMO. And besides anyway, Yeti is smaller than Tiguan (yet the boot is bigger :) ). I for one, can't wait.

K1W1
25-01-2011, 09:21 PM
OT I know but where are Australian Tiguans assembled Germany, Russia, China or Vietnam?

bobski
25-01-2011, 09:26 PM
I don't have a problem with the name. Most car names are a bit funny when you think about them... Commodore, Corolla, Golf... Rank, Flower and Sport.... I suppose you have to give props to car makers who make them up from scratch.

K1W1
25-01-2011, 09:40 PM
I assume that you do know that Golfs were originally Rabbits in the USA. :)

Transporter
25-01-2011, 10:49 PM
OT I know but where are Australian Tiguans assembled Germany, Russia, China or Vietnam?

Germany. :)

Jarred
25-01-2011, 11:02 PM
reminds me of the review JC did of the renault clio and maybe the focus..? Same kind of silly presentation and comparisons, but somehow still manages to get the point across about the value etc of the car.

I think skodas are a good car, well built, solid engineering and great value! Pity about the poor brand recognition and poor resale.. (potentially)

brad
26-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Hell Yeah! I'd buy it just for the name alone.

brad
26-01-2011, 10:31 AM
poor resale.. (potentially)
resale so far is better than VW

bobski
26-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I assume that you do know that Golfs were originally Rabbits in the USA. :)

No, I didn't. In Australia, Golf is a game, and I doubt many people would know that Golf has something to do with a small furry animal. :) But you see the point....

On that point, can you think of any cars that have been named after Australian animals? The Holden Kookaburra?

brad
26-01-2011, 10:50 AM
On that point, can you think of any cars that have been named after Australian animals? The Holden Kookaburra?
Renault Kangoo??

spaz74
26-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Holden Jackaroo was a piece of crap in the late 80's!

triode12
26-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Actually the Golf was named after The Gulf Stream undersea current. The German spelling for 'Gulf' is 'Golf'.
This was in line with VW's naming convention of naming their cars after winds and currents. e.g. Scirroco, Bora, Vento, etc.
Somewhere along the line, the name Golf was associated with the game of Golf (pre-GTI).

The americans dubbed it the Rabbit as to differentiate it from the European spec Golf - a marketing thing.

PassatB6
26-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Actually the Golf was named after The Gulf Stream undersea current. The German spelling for 'Gulf' is 'Golf'.
This was in line with VW's naming convention of naming their cars after winds and currents. e.g. Scirroco, Bora, Vento, etc.
Somewhere along the line, the name Golf was associated with the game of Golf (pre-GTI).

The americans dubbed it the Rabbit as to differentiate it from the European spec Golf - a marketing thing.

Also Passat is a trade wind and the Polo was named after Marco Polo who opened up trade routes not after the sport. VW did make use of the sporting connection, though, with the Caddy.

BlackOctaviaRS
26-01-2011, 02:16 PM
I'd seriously consider trading in the Jetta half way through it's lease for a Yeti. What a brilliant car.

K1W1
26-01-2011, 02:36 PM

No. It was called a Rabbit originally to overcome legal issues with the American PGA who own the US copyright for the name Golf I assume. Once that was sorted they renamed them Golfs.

Jake02
26-01-2011, 03:37 PM
No. It was called a Rabbit originally to overcome legal issues with the American PGA who own the US copyright for the name Golf I assume. Once that was sorted they renamed them Golfs.

Yep, that's how I heard it too. The MkIV Golf was Golf and then, weirdly, the MkV Golf was Rabbit again. Now they're back to Golf with the MkVI Golf so maybe the next one will be Rabbit again, lol? But maybe we should stop talking about America?

triode12
27-01-2011, 04:56 AM

Interesting - the book Volkswagen Golf GTI by James Richardson makes no mention of this. Thanks!

Inego
27-01-2011, 07:24 AM
The wind story makes sense - but the original designers were clearly bilingual. Remember the standard golf ball gear knob?

Anyway, I hope the Yeti does as well here as in Europe. The Pommy motoring press (including performance mags like evo) have been raving about them all year.

Sharkie
27-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Built on the Tiguan platform, the Yeti is meant to be a slightly cheaper (and smaller) alternative.

For instance its top spec engine is the 1.8TSI whereas the Tiguans get the 2.0TSI (GTI engine) and where the Tiguans start with the 1.4TSI (internationally) the Yeti gets the 1.2TSI to start off with.

Its looks are very different, but most other tech details are the same otherwise. Good review and it looks like they solved the 1 problem that cost the Tiguan the Car of the Year title in Australia ..... the bootspace .....

Transporter
27-01-2011, 12:00 PM
...and full size spare tyre, most likely standard satnav and better approach and departure angles. ;)

K1W1
27-01-2011, 12:50 PM
...and full size spare tyre,

I doubt it in the real sense. When Skoda say full size on other cars what they mean is a wheel with the same rolling diameter on a steel rim. It's still speed and distance limited in terms of use as far as I know it's definitely not a wheel that can be bolted in in place of one of the four driving wheels and left there for 20,000km.
I don't see a lot of practical difference between Skodas full size spares and other peoples temporary spares. When I had a (very) slow leak in one of my tyres the other day I had the tyre shop repair it while I waited rather than put the spare on and drive around with it fitted.

K1W1
27-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Remember the standard golf ball gear knob?

The same one Audi used on the TT when it was first introduced? I think I drove some Siroccos in the US in the 1980's that had the same shape "stick shift" knob as well.

Ryan_R
27-01-2011, 01:08 PM
I don't suppose anyone's made a thread to yell at TG for destroying a Beetle?

sabloke
27-01-2011, 01:19 PM
The Beetle was destroyed in the name of "science", so why yell at poor TG presenters? Who knows, gravity might be the way of the future in car propulsion!!! :)

Ryan_R
27-01-2011, 01:21 PM
If it shuts Hammond up re. the Porsche 911 then well worth it I say, but this is a VW forum, and there must be a few Beetle owners around here. :)

Inego
27-01-2011, 02:33 PM
The same one Audi used on the TT when it was first introduced? I think I drove some Siroccos in the US in the 1980's that had the same shape "stick shift" knob as well.
I can't find a pick of the original TT knob, but Golfs right from the get-go had a dimpled black ball gear knob, just like a golf-ball

K1W1
27-01-2011, 03:01 PM
A friend of my had one of the first TT's in Vic. It had the same design knob but it was a brushed alloy finish.
He took me out to lunch to show off his new car and parked facing into the sun. When we came out of the restaurant and we got in the car to drive off he nearly burnt is hand on the gear change. That's why I remember it.

Edit: I think it was something like this one so it wasn't quite the same as the Golf one, just similar.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/725/1881/26810940018_large.jpg

Inego
27-01-2011, 03:24 PM
That knob is the only one I could find for the TT as well (interesting someone listening to the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack :) ) No, I meant this one....http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagames/NFS/speedhunters.com/Images/Jacco%20Willemsen/VW%20Month/MK1%20Yellow/DSC07810%20copy.jpg

K1W1
27-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I know which one you meant I just thought the TT one I saw was exactly the same only brushed alloy finish. Maybe it was or maybe it was just and alloy finish version of the picture I posted. Doesn't really matter I guess we have hijacked the thread enough.

Inego
27-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Yeti, Yeti, Yeti - just to get us back OT :)

BlackOctaviaRS
27-01-2011, 05:20 PM
Yeti, Yeti, Yeti - just to get us back OT :)

Yeti released by mid year, custom ordered one by December? Optimistic?