PDA

View Full Version : Proshaft Centre Bearing Failure

thevwbug
22-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys,

My Brother has a 2005 R5 Touareg with 150,000k he is away in Nambucca heads and it thinking that the Proshaft Centre Bearing has failed.

Has anyone experienced this ???
Is it a major job and expensive ???

I see some os forums that this does happen.

Thanks,

thevwbug
28-01-2011, 08:29 PM
FYI
Update the full drive shaft had to be replaced shipped from melbourne to coff harbour last monday didnt get there till thursday afternoon.
Had to get the car towed from Nambucca to Coffs.
this is no cheap job costing around $2700. VW did help out covering part of the cost of shaft and reduced labour.
anyway guys if you have a touareg with high milage and have noticed a a change in noise from transmision get it checked out or with next service ask for the bearing retainer to be checked.
i should mention the car had 110,000 kms with full dealer service history.

Ricardo1
22-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Hi,

I had heard the prop shatt bearing carriage is a known problem around the 150,000 mark but as I have done 105,000 and am heading to the Kimberley in June I better get this checked given your problems ta 110,000 Kms. Is it just the bearing that needs replacing if you get it before it breaks or the both the shaft and bearing? At $2,700 sounds like a lots of new parts were needed.

Cheers, Ricardo

Umai Naa!!
22-04-2011, 08:30 PM
You can't replace the bearing on it's own. It comes with a new shaft, which is quite pricey.

Labour-wise, they're pretty easy to do.

njg02
22-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Ricardo, lots of info at Center carrier bearing - Club Touareg Forums (http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/center-carrier-bearing-55349.html)

Jmac
12-05-2011, 08:36 PM
I have a new centre bearing if you can find anyone game to do it. No one up here is game. They can be reco,bearings are available , im sourcing my reco units frmon the states now, core charge on the unit till u send yours back. Try these guys - Vertex Auto. Nice guys to deal with
Cheers
Jmac

Jmac
02-07-2011, 10:07 PM
I have a new centre bearing if you can find anyone game to do it. No one up here is game. They can be reco,bearings are available , im sourcing my reco units frmon the states now, core charge on the unit till u send yours back. Try these guys - Vertex Auto. Nice guys to deal with
Cheers
Jmac
Used these guys now and were prompt, part perfect and all balanced. Top job
Jmac