PDA

View Full Version : Rumour: Polo GT and GTD to join the range

pologti18t
20-01-2011, 09:57 AM
2011 Volkswagen Polo GT and GTD rumoured | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/99586/2011-volkswagen-polo-gt-and-gtd-rumoured/)

I wonder what price point they could position a Polo GT?

100kw 1.4TSI engine + 6 speed manual would a nice car. 23999+ ORC? :)

noone
20-01-2011, 10:35 AM
If they used the 2.0 TDI, I would be seriously interested in the new Polo, but they won't...

Tim
20-01-2011, 10:38 AM
Polo GTD. Now that would be a seriously cool car with the potential to run rings around the GTI if they gave it a decent engine.

philthy
20-01-2011, 10:56 AM
My bet is on 90kw 1.4 turbo only for the GT and hopped up 1.6 for the diesel

sssstew
20-01-2011, 01:15 PM
yes agreed here, shame they are only putting the 77TDI in it (rumor).

philthy
20-01-2011, 08:12 PM
yes agreed here, shame they are only putting the 77TDI in it (rumor).

Hmmm... 103 TDI would be much more fun. Oh well

Greg Roles
21-01-2011, 05:31 AM
The natural choice would be the 103.....THAT would be a baby monster!

JaneAusten
21-01-2011, 07:32 AM
Haha, diesels.

Buller_Scott
21-01-2011, 07:38 AM
unless you've got more than a v2 gti polo, i know of three polo tdi's that would spank you in the hills.

never been on a cruise with one, im guessing?

JaneAusten
21-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Thank God, no. Would probably need some form of noise protection. :-P

In all seriousness, I know the diesels have come a long way since say the MK IV Golf, driven a few myself. The 123d (BMW) in particular feels pretty zippy, but it's so much fun making fun of diesel powered cars, no?

Relax dude.

pologti18t
21-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I am wondering how a 1.9TDI (old tech) with mods could whip a Polo GTI 1.8T or 1.4TSFI with mods?

Already I have 155kw and 330Nm with a stage 1 APR tune on my Polo GTI. Can't see how any upgrades to the old 1.9TDI could produce a car that could "whip" that. 330Nm... looks like diesel torque to me and it boosts from diesel like RPMS :P

JaneAusten
21-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Let it slide brother. I think his keyword was "hills", which probably meant a farm property, with mud, and animals, and a trailer, and of course, a tractor :).

Just joking. But some people do like the momentary surge that is characteristic of diesel powered cars, this gives a great sensation of speed (acceleration, really). I am sure if you spend enough money on a diesel you can whip the majority of stock GTIs out there too (like properly, not just in a boat towing contest), and that's cool, let people be happy doing what they like doing, so long as nobody gets hurt. :)

Greg Roles
21-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Let the gassers have their fun Scotty, it still amazes me we oilers can even now be considered in the same sentence as petrol cars, only 3 years back I thought like Jane ( and let's face it, diesel's are for MEN anyhow : )

Tim
21-01-2011, 09:04 AM
I am wondering how a 1.9TDI (old tech) with mods could whip a Polo GTI 1.8T or 1.4TSFI with mods?

Already I have 155kw and 330Nm with a stage 1 APR tune on my Polo GTI. Can't see how any upgrades to the old 1.9TDI could produce a car that could "whip" that. 330Nm... looks like diesel torque to me and it boosts from diesel like RPMS :P

Put 2 passengers in each car and watch the whippage begin.

pologti18t
21-01-2011, 12:13 PM
Put 2 passengers in each car and watch the whippage begin.

In what way? I have diesel equalling torque (at low rpm as well), more power, a rev range twice a broad and less weight. How could I not win? LOL :)

Transporter
21-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Well, just driven RS Octavia with 147kW and 280Nm torque, through the hills with the twisties, and boy I could whip that Octy with our stock standard Golf TDI at any time. :)

Greg Roles
21-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Perhaps we should get back to the discussion of laggy turbos ?

pologti18t
21-01-2011, 03:00 PM
Perhaps we should get back to the discussion of laggy turbos ?

That isn't the topic as far as I am aware

Well, just driven RS Octavia with 147kW and 280Nm torque, through the hills with the twisties, and boy I could whip that Octy with our stock standard Golf TDI at any time

But we weren't talking about stock... were we ;)

noone
21-01-2011, 03:31 PM
Yeah, that'd be a heavy toy, shame modern cars weigh so much. One of my criteria when I bought the Polo was weight, I dont see why modern cars are so obese with all the modern materials.

Buller_Scott
21-01-2011, 03:41 PM
In what way? I have diesel equalling torque (at low rpm as well), more power, a rev range twice a broad and less weight. How could I not win? LOL :)

no offense, but your posts in this thread make it pretty damn obvious that you have never, ever been on vw cruise where tdi's were present.

there are more than a few people in victoria who can confirm the ability of a tdi polo in the twisties, who have actually BEEN to meet-ups and cruises (not simply looking at numbers on paper).

funny- in other threads, you've come off as knowledgeable when it comes to diesels, the way your posts read. like i said, unless you're running MORE than V2 with intake/filter, you'd get murdered on the comenarra parkway against a chipped pog tdi (and i'm not talking about MY car, either).

dont go on any cruises to confirm that, though.

anyway, back on topic- whilst the sound of a 103 TDI in a polo GTD sounds like a cracker, i dunno- the power would be there, but up over reefton spur, the nose-heaviness of the tdi can be apparent when sliding around corners, and in my opinion, i reckon it'd be better if VW played around with putting bigger turbos onto smaller diesel engines (e.g. like the way that guy with his saab 1.9tdi got 540nm after a tune, from a 1.9L engine!).

that being said- i cant really participate in these kind of discussions much from now on... yesterday, i drove a car that, it saddens me to say, took away my ability to look at any VW hatch as a ''hot hatch'' (i've tracked a mk6 gti, seen the R in action etc).

oh, and ben- i agree. funny how modern cars' interiors are the same as they always were, just that the doors are getting thicker and thicker, hence size/weight increases.

pologti18t
21-01-2011, 06:01 PM
there are more than a few people in victoria who can confirm the ability of a tdi polo in the twisties, who have actually BEEN to meet-ups and cruises (not simply looking at numbers on paper).

funny- in other threads, you've come off as knowledgeable when it comes to diesels, the way your posts read. like i said, unless you're running MORE than V2 with intake/filter, you'd get murdered on the comenarra parkway against a chipped pog tdi (and i'm not talking about MY car, either).

Keep on blathering about nothing.... You have not explained how I would be "murdered" by a Polo 1.9L TDI?
Especially on the Comenarra parkway that has a limit of 60km/h ;)

I have been on a cruise (once). And there were TDIs present. What's your point?
It's not called a "cruise" for nothing - lol

that being said- i cant really participate in these kind of discussions much from now on... yesterday, i drove a car that, it saddens me to say, took away my ability to look at any VW hatch as a ''hot hatch'' (i've tracked a mk6 gti, seen the R in action etc).

Is it a diesel?

Buller_Scott
21-01-2011, 07:34 PM
Keep on blathering about nothing.... You have not explained how I would be "murdered" by a Polo 1.9L TDI?
Especially on the Comenarra parkway that has a limit of 60km/h ;)

I have been on a cruise (once). And there were TDIs present. What's your point?
It's not called a "cruise" for nothing - lol

Is it a diesel?

blah. nevermind. this thread is becoming about you and me (your numbers versus what i, and quite a few people in the vic vw scene, know through actual experience).

anyway- the car that i drove yesterday- no, it wasnt a diesel. in fact, it's pretty much the opposite (engine wise) of what i'd valued in the engine bay of a hatch back, until now.

since driving it, every mk5/6 gti i saw on the road, had me thinking "you cannot possibly hope to compare".

hint:

http://www.freshpromotions.com.au/products/frog-stress-toy1.jpg

pologti18t
21-01-2011, 08:56 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Renault Clio RS or Megane RS 250. Both best hot hatches in their classes.

Buller_Scott
21-01-2011, 10:49 PM
the Clio. u.f.c.k.i.n.g. a.m.a.z.i.n.g. made the mk6 gti (what i remember driving it around sandown) seem heavy, wallowy, saggy, imprecise, and understeery. the comparison isnt an anal, nit-picking one... the clio clears the floor with the gti, and comfortably at that.

back OT - it'd be nice for SOME ONE to do a ''warm hatch'' diesel version for the polo's car class.

everyone seems to be going for the green factor, though (mini D, fiesta, new polo, etc etc).

pologti18t
24-01-2011, 07:36 PM
the Clio. u.f.c.k.i.n.g. a.m.a.z.i.n.g. made the mk6 gti (what i remember driving it around sandown) seem heavy, wallowy, saggy, imprecise, and understeery. the comparison isnt an anal, nit-picking one... the clio clears the floor with the gti, and comfortably at that.

back OT - it'd be nice for SOME ONE to do a ''warm hatch'' diesel version for the polo's car class.

everyone seems to be going for the green factor, though (mini D, fiesta, new polo, etc etc).

Mini will be releasing a "sports" Mini D soon with a power up engine.

MINI Cooper SD high-power diesel coming to Australia | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/99042/mini-cooper-sd-high-power-diesel-coming-to-australia/)

Skoda used to make the Fabia VRS diesel. It used the 130hp version of the 1.9TDI.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/skoda_fabia_92133900341076540-1.jpg

sabloke
24-01-2011, 08:00 PM
The SD Mini will be the best Diesel sporty hatch, hands down! It needs at least 120 kW for serious business though.