PDA

View Full Version : Volkswagen's new TSI engine and new (7 spd) dual clutch gearbox

phaeton
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM
Market launch in the second half of 2007

Wolfsburg, 27 April 2007 - Volkswagen is continuing its drive train offensive. At the International Vienna Engine Symposium (26 - 27 April), Europe's largest car maker presented its new TSI petrol engine (90 kW / 122 PS) and the world's first seven-speed dual clutch gearbox (DSG) for the compact and mid-class. Both products are scheduled for market launch in the second half of the year.

TSI stands for maximum power coupled with minimum consumption by combining direct injection and turbo-charging with reduced engine capacity. The award-winning TSI engines with a power output of 103 kW and 125 kW are popular choices, for example for the Golf and Touran. The new 90 kW TSI will be the third option in the TSI engine line-up.

With 200 Newton metres of torque at 1,500 rpm, the torque of the current 1.4-liter turbo engine is almost 30 percent higher than the torque of the 1.6 FSI engine. The TSI has low-end torque gains of up to 66 percent. In spite of the improved performance and torque characteristics, consumption has been reduced by approximately six percent. Technically, the new TSI is based on its compressor counterparts with 103 and 125 kW. In contrast to twin-charged engines, the "small" 90 kW TSI uses just the turbo-charger for boost - an additional compressor is not required.

World's first seven-speed DSG gearbox for volume models

A further innovation is the seven-speed DSG gearbox. In contrast to the six-speed DSG gearbox, the clutches of the new gearbox do not run in an oil bath. This further improves efficiency. Volkswagen's six-speed DSG gearbox gave automatics sensationally low consumption figures. Thanks to this efficiency and sporty shifting characteristics, the DSG provoked a boom in the popularity of DSG gearboxes in the compact and mid-class. For example, the DSG is ordered in 25 percent of Tourans today. The new seven-speed DSG gearbox has added an attractive option to the Volkswagen range. It will be available for vehicles from the Polo to the Passat. The transferable maximum torque is equivalent to a maximum of 250 Newton metres.

The combination of the two new products results in excellent consumption figures and convenience, comfort and driving enjoyment. In the Golf, it has a fuel consumption of just 5.9 l/100 km. Both the seven-speed DSG gearbox and the 90 kW TSI show once again that Volkswagen makes highly innovative technology available to all drivers.

dilbert_rocks
03-05-2007, 07:20 PM
World's first seven-speed DSG gearbox for volume models

A further innovation is the seven-speed DSG gearbox. In contrast to the six-speed DSG gearbox, the clutches of the new gearbox do not run in an oil bath. This further improves efficiency. The transferable maximum torque is equivalent to a maximum of 250 Newton metres.

Interesting... the 6 speed DSG is matched with the TDI & V6 with 320Nm torque!

Pete Mk1
17-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Hi all,
Just a snipet of news for you all.Does anyone log on to www.germancarfans.com
I find some interesting articles at times,knew all about my VW Caddy long before it came to Australia.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/news.cfm/newsid/2070507.006/country/gcf/Volkswagen/new-vw-tsi-engine-and-7-speed-dsg

phaeton
17-05-2007, 05:25 PM
Hi Pete :D thanks for posting ;)

GoLfMan
17-05-2007, 07:35 PM
i dont get it, all the car manufactorers are going one upmanship with the amount of gears in their gearboxes... whens it going to stop?!
lexus has bought out an 8 speed... WHATS THE POINT
i know its for the endless quest for performance and efficiency but why not just develope the 6 speed DSG to a higher level, it aint perfect yet!

rayray086
17-05-2007, 08:56 PM
i dont get it, all the car manufactorers are going one upmanship with the amount of gears in their gearboxes... whens it going to stop?!
lexus has bought out an 8 speed... WHATS THE POINT
i know its for the endless quest for performance and efficiency but why not just develope the 6 speed DSG to a higher level, it aint perfect yet!

Haha mountain bike gearing j:

What are the benefits of more gears? I'd make a guess by saying lower fuel consumption and higher top speeds?

brackie
18-05-2007, 06:52 AM
I reckon they're trying to get as close to CVT as possible without the usually associated high fuel consumption and loss of efficiency. DAF used to produce belt-driven CVT cars and my Polaris 4WD ATV has a similar setup. Seamless transmission but lots of revs and petrol consumption.

Shade
29-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Follow the link to read more. Sounds impressive.

http://www.carpoint.com.au/car-review/2646992.aspx

Volvo Driver
30-05-2007, 07:33 PM
The TSI engine has been in eurpoe for a year, how come it's only being talked about now?

phaeton
30-05-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know why :D

To the Point: TSI Offensive

New TSI with 122 PS: Economical and Powerful

Economical: New TSI consumes six percent less fuel

Powerful: Maximum torque of 200 Nm in reserve at a low 1,500 rpm

Wolfsburg, 29 May 2007 - Maximum power with minimum fuel consumption – this characteristic has, within a very short period of time, made TSI four-cylinder engines a synonym for a new generation of economical and at the same time sporty Volkswagen engines. Performance specifications: 125 kW / 170 PS and 103 kW / 140 PS. The Golf, Golf Variant, Golf Plus, Jetta and Touran are powered by them. In 2006 and once again in 2007 they were awarded the coveted “Engine of the Year Award”. Now Volkswagen is presenting the third TSI; this one is 90 kW / 122 PS strong and will be introduced to the Golf lineup this year.

The new TSI will replace the 1.6 FSI with 85 kW / 115 PS in the mid-term. Decisive advantages of the new turbo engine: Besides being able to reduce fuel consumption by about six percent, the engine’s power and torque characteristics were also improved significantly. Due to its smaller displacement, vehicle taxes are also lower. Compared to the 1.6 FSI, maximum torque has now been increased by nearly 30 percent to 200 Newton-meter. And this power is already available at 1,500 rpm. In addition, 80 percent of the maximum torque is already available at speeds as low as 1,250 rpm. In the lower speed range the TSI even exhibits Newton-meter gains of up to 66 percent compared to its predecessor.

Another plus when it comes to economy: Since its maximum torque is available over a broad speed range from 1,500 to 3,500 rpm, conditions are ideal for combining the new TSI with longer and therefore fuel-saving gear ratios. That is why in the future Volkswagen is planning to pair it with the first transverse seven-speed dual clutch transmission in the world (DSG). Its debut will also be in 2007.

Key facts about the new engine at a glance:

-Utilized in models up to the Passat.

-90 kW / 122 PS power between 5,000 and 6,400 rpm.

-200 Nm maximum torque from 1,500 to 3,500 rpm.

-80 percent of maximum torque starting at 1,250 rpm

-Maximum torque 30 percent greater than in the 1.6 FSI.

-66 percent more torque at 1,500 rpm.

-Fuel consumption is about six percent lower.

-Specific torque of 144 Nm per liter.

-16V in-line four cylinder of the EA111 engine series.

-1,390 cm3 displacement.

-Cylinder spacing: 82 millimeters.

-Bore and stroke: 76.5 and 75.6 millimeters.

-Compression 10:1.

-Electronic gasoline direct injection.

-Electronic-map ignition with cylinder-selective anti-knock control.

-Advanced combustion process.

-New intake port without charge movement flaps.

-Turbocharger (max. 1.8 bar)

-220,000 rpm as maximum rpm of the turbocharger.

-Electrically-controlled divert-air valve for turbocharger.

-Water-cooled charge air in intake port.

-Fuel: Super unleaded (95 ROZ).

-Reduced friction losses.

-Total engine weight per DIN: 131 kilograms.

silverMK1
30-05-2007, 09:28 PM
cant wait to see wat ppl do with mods... i wonder how much power can be squeezed out of the 1.4... :D