PDA

View Full Version : Can the Rear Middle headrest come off completely?

sTeeDi
17-05-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi there,

Haven't had a chance to go to the dealership or call the Service Center (since they usually put me on hold for a long time).

I thought i'd ask here coz everyone seems to give a more informed (and prompt) answer.

I was gonna try to put the baby's car seat in the middle seat last night and found that I could not remove the middle rear headrest of my Golf 2007 2.0 TDI Comfortline. It will click up about 10cms but then I can't remove it entirely. (My Golf has leather interior...dont know if this matters) :?

Anyway, when I put the child anchor on the clip immediately behind the middle rear seat, it does not sit well because the headrest is in the way, now I don't think this is as safe as having the headset totally removed.

I can remove all the other seat headrests quite fine, it's just the middle one. So before I sit on hold with the Service Centre or the Dealership, I just want to know if anyone else has seen this. If not...well gonna have to listen to that groovy call waiting music. :rolleyes:

mikinoz
17-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Is it in the manual in the glovebox?

Sorry, not able to help any further.

brackie
18-05-2007, 07:16 AM
No, it's not adjustable or removable (except with a hacksaw :rolleyes:). Does you car have active head restraints?

sTeeDi
18-05-2007, 10:29 AM
Hi Brackie, somehow I knew you'd have the answer. :cool:

I'm not sure if it has active head restraints, gonna have to go and read the manual about that....I didn't even think about it

I can take off the two rear (left and right) headrests....maybe I just have to keep the bub's chair on the side. :rolleyes:

Goneincognito
18-05-2007, 01:28 PM
Ok, This is how I do it on my 07...

Get it to up as far as it can (which is not very far). If you look at the base of the thing you should see a tiny hole, this is the release for the headrest.

brackie
18-05-2007, 08:40 PM
Hope yours has the hole mate. Mine doesn't and my manual says "cannot be adjusted for height" ....which = "cannot be removed".

Disclaimer: It was so dark in my shed today (glorious rain :)) that I may have missed seeing the hole. But I doubt it ;)

Goneincognito
19-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Mine too says that it can't be removed... but it can. You can't adjust it but it should come out. The hole is on the plastic bit on the seat that the poles go into.. I believe it on the right one if you are sitting in the seat. It's a small hole so you may have missed it and it is a pain to get to when you find it.

datracer99
26-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Ok, This is how I do it on my 07...

Get it to up as far as it can (which is not very far). If you look at the base of the thing you should see a tiny hole, this is the release for the headrest.

Yep, mine is the same. The hole in the plastic bit is on the "inside" of the right hand post. It just needs a small screwdriver or piece of wire to push into the hole. At the same time push the adjuster button on the plastic bit on the left side post.

Mine has the same thing on all 3 headrests. Just that the middle one doesn't raise so far, so it's hard to see.

Mine is a 3 door, 07 spec.

I never take back seat passengers (too much weight slows me down :) ) and I'm a short-ass, so I have removed all 3 rear head rests, to improve rear visability.

mikinoz
26-05-2007, 10:04 PM
The centre head restraint on the rear bench cannot be adjusted for height.

It doe not say that you cannot remove it however!

:confused: