PDA

View Full Version : 1.4 TSI Engines to be discontinued

anthony
17-01-2011, 05:05 PM
I have just heard that VW are going to be phasing out the 1.4 tsi ENGINE,WHICH HAS BEEN FITTED LOCALLY IN MANY gOLF AND jETTA MODELS.

The reason is that it is too complicated,and expensive to produce.

It will be discontinued during the year worldwide.

barrenjoey owl
17-01-2011, 05:10 PM
I have just heard that VW are going to be phasing out the 1.4 tsi ENGINE,WHICH HAS BEEN FITTED LOCALLY IN MANY gOLF AND jETTA MODELS.

The reason is that it is too complicated,and expensive to produce.

It will be discontinued during the year worldwide.

hard to believe, sources?????????????????????

Capercat
17-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Just hope they don't skimp on the replacement engine.

Greg Roles
17-01-2011, 05:19 PM
Wow. If it's true, the twincharged TSI's just became a collectors item!

anthony
17-01-2011, 05:20 PM
hard to believe, sources?????????????????????

Car Advice | News | Reviews | Blog (http://www.caradvice.com.au)

caradvice.com.au

Today.

GoLfMan
17-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Wow. If it's true, the twincharged TSI's just became a collectors item!

not really :P Give me the diesel anyday

MYGTI'
17-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Just read this article indicating VW maybe phasing out the twin charger engine...:(

Volkswagen 1.4TSI twincharger to be phased out: report | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/99056/volkswagen-1-4tsi-twincharger-to-be-phased-out-report/)

barrenjoey owl
17-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Car Advice | News | Reviews | Blog (http://www.caradvice.com.au)

caradvice.com.au

Today.

"According to international reports"

This is hardly a reputable source of information.

phaeton
17-01-2011, 06:13 PM
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/254741/

MeeM
17-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Interesting. I wonder if anyone's dropped one of those into a Golf Mk1? :D

I wonder how the newer turbo engine will deal with boost at low revs ...

barrenjoey owl
17-01-2011, 06:45 PM
VW twincharger could be axed - Autocar.co.uk (http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/254741/)

seems to be the same "sources"

h100vw
17-01-2011, 06:52 PM
21st century G40/G60:facepalm:

leasaunce
17-01-2011, 11:25 PM
damn! and i just purchased a gti! can't wait to see their new engine though!

markis
18-01-2011, 12:16 AM
Hmm interesting. Anyone know what will replace it? And what do you guys think that this would mean for gti demand and prices? I'm guessing the current 6r gti would depreciate like a stone once the new engine is on the market.

pologti18t
18-01-2011, 07:07 AM
http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f128/1-4-tsi-twincharger-engine-phased-out-54117.html

Sharkie
18-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I'd bet on a 1.6TSI in low output and high output configs.

Many other manufacturers are having great success (good performance and consumption) with 1.6 turbo direct injected engines .... BMW/Renault/Mini, GM and even the Koreans are starting with it.

sabloke
18-01-2011, 08:16 AM
I always thought the twincharged engine was a bit over the top, way too complex and with too many things in it that could go wrong. If it was that good, why no other manufacturer used a similar solution? Makes you wonder what top shelf Polos and A1s will be using, doesn't it?

triode12
18-01-2011, 08:17 AM
I wonder what they will replace the engine in the new Polo GTI with...I'm hoping the old 1.8T engine of the previous Polo GTI. While they are at it, they should also replace the dry plate 7 spd DSG with the wet plate 6 spd DSG or a manual transmission.

pologti18t
18-01-2011, 08:52 AM
I wonder what they will replace the engine in the new Polo GTI with...I'm hoping the old 1.8T engine of the previous Polo GTI. While they are at it, they should also replace the dry plate 7 spd DSG with the wet plate 6 spd DSG or a manual transmission.

The old 20V 1.8T is D E A D....

That said, they could use the new 1.8T (shrunken Golf GTI engine) used in the Octavia and Audi A4

Engines don't seem to have a very long life anymore. It seemed only yesterday that BMW released the twin turbo 3L engine. Then within a few years it was essentually replaced with a single turbo model.

noone
18-01-2011, 08:57 AM

That said, they could use the new 1.8T (shrunken Golf GTI engine) used in the Octavia and Audi A4
Agreed, but prob does not come with the fuel efficiency

sabloke
18-01-2011, 08:58 AM
That's right, the 1.8 TSI is a pretty goon engine. I wish they'd use GTI's 2.0 turbocharged on the Polo... Imagine a 235 kW Polo after a visit to APR :D

cme2c
18-01-2011, 09:47 AM
The BMW single turbo 3.0l as well as such things as the Renault Megane RS250 use twin scroll turbochargers. This means the turbo spools up faster and let BMW drop the twin turbos and get a similar response. Despite the twincharged 1.4 being a cracker of an engine, if VW can get the same result cheaper, they will.

cme2c
18-01-2011, 09:50 AM
That's right, the 1.8 TSI is a pretty goon engine. I wish they'd use GTI's 2.0 turbocharged on the Polo... Imagine a 235 kW Polo after a visit to APR :D

Or drop an RS250 motor in your Clio........

sabloke
18-01-2011, 09:52 AM
Never! I love the 2.0 atmo to bits :) Last of its kind, for sure...

REXman
18-01-2011, 09:57 AM

Engines don't seem to have a very long life anymore. It seemed only yesterday that BMW released the twin turbo 3L engine. Then within a few years it was essentually replaced with a single turbo model.

Hey I believe the 335s had some reliability issues, and the single turbo version sorts out this dilema, even if it is a less powerful, (overall) engine.

REXman
18-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Never! I love the 2.0 atmo to bits :) Last of its kind, for sure...

It could definitely use the legs.. they have nothing in a straight line.

sabloke
18-01-2011, 10:01 AM
If you think sub 6.9 seconds to 100 km/h is nothing, well yeah. Torque is indeed nothing to write home about but then the car is lighter than a Golf GTI. Much lighter. And as far as engine reliability goes, this one is bullet proof.

break
18-01-2011, 03:12 PM
It could definitely use the legs.. they have nothing in a straight line.Barely slower to 100km/h than my GIAC'd Polo GTI (I've seen Polo's do down aroun 6.2/6.3 with chip alone, the Clio 172's did 6.6s during EVO magazines recent test of them). Not exactly 'fast', but perkier than you'd expect.

That said, you definitely notice the difference in power delivery (well, torque delivery) when caught in the wrong gear... but the Clio's were never really made for straight lines.

As for the topic, I'm finding it funny that people are suprised by the move. The effort to fit the supercharger as well is hardly worth the benefit, when going to slightly smaller twin scroll turbo will do the same job with less cost. Hell, even have VW work on commercially viable (at least at the low end of the marker) variable vain turbo's and we could see similar power delivery as well.

kaanage
18-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Shouldn't this thread more properly belong in the Mk6 Golf forum (where the merged thread came from) since there are vastly more 1.4 TSI Golfs than Polos??

And maybe the sheer number of engine failures (at least before the ECU update for the Golfs) has affected VW's thinking as well as the manufacturing costs.

RW1
19-01-2011, 01:26 AM
Hmm interesting. Anyone know what will replace it? And what do you guys think that this would mean for gti demand and prices? I'm guessing the current 6r gti would depreciate like a stone once the new engine is on the market.

I believe it may be the 1.8TSi 160PS (Turbo only) thats already being used in the Audi A3.

Reportedly in its factory form, to be good so far.

GTI JOE
23-01-2011, 08:30 AM
As I suspected......just another rumour. Check out this link, seems like the twincharger will be going on and on and on:)
2011 Audi A1 1.4 TFSI twin-charge for the UK | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/100150/2011-audi-a1-1-4-tfsi-twin-charge-for-the-uk/)

dopey
23-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Too complicated? Not really... And there have been no major issues with the engine relating to the fact it's twin charged either. This engine has won many awards and it's recognized internationally as being one of the best power plants on the market right now, why would VW want to discontinue it so soon? Vw/Audi/skoda are pumping out lots of new models lately with the engine - it ain't going anywhere.

Seems to me like a rumour made up to generate hits for a certain website. Don't feed the trolls.

brad
23-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Agreed, but prob does not come with the fuel efficiency

I average 6.8L/100 in my chubby 1500kg 1.8TSI/M6 Octavia (and it's capable of much lower than that). I'm sure a 1200kg DSG7 Polo could easily average in the low 6 area.

kaanage
25-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Too complicated? Not really... And there have been no major issues with the engine relating to the fact it's twin charged either.

Time will tell. The A1 application is basically the same as for the Polo Gti so it's not like a major engineering task they've undertaken for this.
But I wouldn't say all the Golf complete engine replacements and supercharger clutch squeal fixes (all under warranty) are not major. The warranty claims may have as much to do with the rumour as the production complexity.

Again, I think this topic should reside in the Golf Mk VI subforum since that is where the vast number of cars with this engine are situated.

poloboy
26-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I average 6.8L/100 in my chubby 1500kg 1.8TSI/M6 Octavia (and it's capable of much lower than that). I'm sure a 1200kg DSG7 Polo could easily average in the low 6 area.

I put a couple hundred aggressive km on a Polo GTI the other day, still managed to end up with an average of under 7, 6 should be quite achievable under normal driving conditions

Guy_H
07-02-2012, 11:28 AM
Lol, this is funny - remember 2009 when the rumors were spread about the cancelling of the 1.4 twincharge motor (on the back of > 1% failures of the 118tsi Golf engines)? here we are 2 1/2 years later, another million + twincharger motors delivered and another rumor surfaces (from the sounds of it - the same sources as the original).

I have a friend involved heavily in a big market that uses more 1.4 tsi motors in a day than what Australia delivers in 2 years, and from memory, the life plan in current form still has another 8 years to go.

Wait until you hear it from VW firstly would be my advice :)

With the hundreds of cars we tune each year, the biggest number of failures (of stock engines) by far has been the Audi 2.0TFSI as found in the Q5, A4, A6 etc. From the forums (check out ozAudi Australian Audi Car Enthusiast Forum (http://www.ozaudi.com)) there have been dozens & dozens of engines replaced. From my reckoning, they would outnumber the VW failures 5 to 1.

Finance_Analyst
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Lol, this is funny - remember 2009 when the rumors were spread about the cancelling of the 1.4 twincharge motor (on the back of > 1% failures of the 118tsi Golf engines)? here we are 2 1/2 years later, another million + twincharger motors delivered and another rumor surfaces (from the sounds of it - the same sources as the original).

I have a friend involved heavily in a big market that uses more 1.4 tsi motors in a day than what Australia delivers in 2 years, and from memory, the life plan in current form still has another 8 years to go.

Wait until you hear it from VW firstly would be my advice :)

With the hundreds of cars we tune each year, the biggest number of failures (of stock engines) by far has been the Audi 2.0TFSI as found in the Q5, A4, A6 etc. From the forums (check out ozAudi Australian Audi Car Enthusiast Forum (http://www.ozaudi.com)) there have been dozens & dozens of engines replaced. From my reckoning, they would outnumber the VW failures 5 to 1.

Interesting Guy. So the GTi motor (EA888 - essentially the Audi A5 motor) is immune to the very problems Audi suffer?

gavs
07-02-2012, 12:23 PM
Hey Guy,m can you just confirm that your Polo GTI STILL isn't drinking oil? Because the more tuners I speak to around the world, the same comments are coming out. That the stock factory engine map is average and none of the tuned cars aroeund seem to be having the oil consumption issues...

steveyoshi
28-03-2013, 10:44 PM
Hey Gavs.... Fabia RS, used 130ml of oil in 2000ks from 5500 to 7500kms.
Stage 1 APR.

Went from 400ml (approx) every 1000ks to that!