PDA

View Full Version : Register of unhappy Polo purchasers awaiting delivery...

gavs
15-01-2011, 05:52 PM
To all of you who have ordered derivatives of the 6R Polo:

I'm sick of VW head office in Australia not helping us out. This is the 3rd new model that they have screwed up in relation to customer service and supply of vehicles and it's becoming an increasingly bigger problem as this is seemingly now effecting all models, not just the GTI.

I am going to draft a letter to them after being told that my car now has an eta of god-knows-when after a dealer elswhere wasn't willing to do swapsies for my car (fair enough I guess when they could sell it,which they did) asking why they are building random cars and sending them to dealers to go on their lot instead of building our cars,which we have ordered months ago.

I want a list of how many have ordered a car and been given a BS arrival date to approach them with,the more the better. Its not as if they aren't building the cars overseas, VW Australia just isn't obviously pushing hard enough to get them here to service our demands and when they get pushed b dealers,they crawl into their little cave up there in Sydney,waiting for all the questions to stop so they can crawl out.

So please,pass this on to people you know who have ordered polos and have a ridiculous wait ahead of them, the more people we have on board,the more influence we will hopefully have! So please,tick your relevan box,for youaelf and for anyone else you know of so I can get some figures. I am planning on sending the letter next friday.

Cheers,
Gavin

Brian916
15-01-2011, 06:00 PM
Note sure I fit the bill but....

I've ordered a Polo GTi in white, with comfort pack and the delivery is still 30 May. I guess that as a lease car it's getting some priority from VW Aus as they wouldn't want to piss off the lease providers.

barrenjoey owl
15-01-2011, 06:09 PM
To all of you who have ordered derivatives of the 6R Polo:

I'm sick of VW head office in Australia not helping us out. This is the 3rd new model that they have screwed up in relation to customer service and supply of vehicles and it's becoming an increasingly bigger problem as this is seemingly now effecting all models, not just the GTI.

I am going to draft a letter to them after being told that my car now has an eta of god-knows-when after a dealer elswhere wasn't willing to do swapsies for my car (fair enough I guess when they could sell it,which they did) asking why they are building random cars and sending them to dealers to go on their lot instead of building our cars,which we have ordered months ago.

I want a list of how many have ordered a car and been given a BS arrival date to approach them with,the more the better. Its not as if they aren't building the cars overseas, VW Australia just isn't obviously pushing hard enough to get them here to service our demands and when they get pushed b dealers,they crawl into their little cave up there in Sydney,waiting for all the questions to stop so they can crawl out.

So please,pass this on to people you know who have ordered polos and have a ridiculous wait ahead of them, the more people we have on board,the more influence we will hopefully have! So please,tick your relevan box,for youaelf and for anyone else you know of so I can get some figures. I am planning on sending the letter next friday.

Cheers,
Gavin

Waste of time. VWA would be keen to get supplies asap to grow marketshare. Complaining here will anount to nought.

tobyobi
15-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I obviously didn't order a Polo (I bought a Golf), but I waited a week and a half from order to delivery.

The trick: settle for what is available, if you don't want to wait. I would have preferred silver or black, but I got Candy White, as that was what could be sourced ASAP.

chorrylan
15-01-2011, 07:26 PM
I want a list of how many have ordered a car and been given a BS arrival date to approach them with

one would assume they know precisely how many cars are on order and for how long already so that list isn't going to infuence them much.

I'm astounded (and impressed) that people are willign and able to wait that long for a car. I liked the golf-r but couldn't face waiting around for it so picked a golf-gti in nearly the right specs that I could get in less than 2 weeks (got a sunroof I didn't want and had to get bluetooth fitted) and had a stage-1 reflash that almost (in my opinion) adds back as much fun-factor as the golf-r had.

leasaunce
15-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I ordered mine last week, ETA is August. GTI 3dr all optioned (they said the sunroof is what causing the long delay)

Frostee
15-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I ordered mine last week, ETA is August. GTI 3dr all optioned (they said the sunroof is what causing the long delay)

Is the ETA confirmed with a build date?

leasaunce
15-01-2011, 07:55 PM
Is the ETA confirmed with a build date?

no. all they said was, the build date might somewhere in March 2011. but they will confirmed with me with the ETA after february.

polodrivercom
15-01-2011, 09:32 PM
We've had lots of problems similar to this in the UK, especially with the GTI: EXCLUSIVE: Is this the first customer new Polo GTI in the UK? | Polo Driver (http://www.polodriver.com/polo-2009/exclusive-is-this-the-first-customer-new-polo-gti-in-the-uk/#comments)

Dealers are quoting months for delivery. Even VW UK only just got its press fleet demonstrators. Some owners have their cars now, but VW couldn't even get the options list decided. The panoramic sunroof was available at first, and now it's not, and the Bluetooth option is only available as a kit, and not as an integrated RCD 510 system as on Golf VI.

The South African factory strike at the end of last year didn't help either, delaying all builds of RHD models.

Rich

ChristopherJ
15-01-2011, 10:03 PM
I have a 77TSi on order from August last year, knew it would be a bit of a wait, originally december then I agreed to change it to jan 2011 as this would make it a 011 model instead of 010. Now with the floods that have affected QLD (now everybody else) our local VW Dealer went under and don't expect a call anytime soon to pick up my (hopefully) high and dry Polo. It has been a bit of a wait, but once the massive clean up happens, it will be all systems go.

gavs
16-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Waste of time. VWA would be keen to get supplies asap to grow marketshare. Complaining here will anount to nought.

Ok, so with all the pointless comments that hav been posted here, I'd like to reiterate what I originally wrote:

Please read the post you are quoting where I say"I will be sending a letter of to VWA head office" but you are right, complaining here amounts to nothing.

Tobyobi, yeah,we could all settle for what dealers have, but last time I checked,there are ing 4 Gtis in the whole country available so if 4 people got them,guess what,were all back in the same boat
Chorrylon, yeah you're right, they probably do know, but the last I hear from multiple dealers, they don't check seeing as each deer has been told different things by head office in regards to availability,delivery dates and what is causing the hold up.

Leasrance, I highly doubt that if you ordered the car last week,it's an august date as those of us who ordered back in early December and November have been told septerber-October!

GTI JOE
16-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I will support you gav, letters of complaint actually do work, especially with regard to large companies. VGA really need to grow some balls as their customers from Australia seem to be an after thought. As I have mentioned many times before, great cars, crappy customer service. With regard to some forum members indicating that their orders will be delivered by May, as the famous Aussie quote says " their dreamin". VGA have consistently said that there are NO build dates yet for 2011 until HQ Germany give them the go-ahead to submit orders. They have also said that they may be able to submit them in February, so, how can anyone know when their vehicle is going to be made let alone delivered...WTF?

pologti18t
16-01-2011, 04:23 PM
Best way to attack this is for everyone to cancel their order and demand their deposit refunded.

Ralfi
16-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Best way to attack this is for everyone to cancel their order and demand their deposit refunded.

If i'd ordered, I would.

Probably get it cheaper in 6 months time anyway..

Car25
16-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Really relevant topic raised by Gavin (and commented on by many others)...Ties in to 'The Demand > Supply Challenge' thread.

We have a CHOICE to purchase or not...and if we are given incorrect ETA's and treated poorly by dealers we can go elsewhere and purchase other cars.

I don't think writing to Volkswagen Australia (multiple times if necessary) can do any harm...The company has got arrogant on the back of their 'Car of the Year' wins...Long term it will hurt sales.

gavs
16-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Well in my office,everyone of the 21 of us are ca nuts and all are hanging out to see the gti when it finally gets here, but when I told them September as a date, they all shook their heads and all said "you would expect better from vw". If I could suddenly afford a Rs250 I would buy it in a heart beat and cancel my polo, but I can't afford that and I need a new car the size of the polo. The problem is,it really is a great car, as far as I am concerned, nothing else matches it, especially in it's price point.

Guys, get on facebook, twitter etc and sprea th word (I can't due to a crazy stalker that might find me again!:) ), I have a feeling I might be able to find the right people to get involved for a result. If we all keep sendin letters individually also, they might get so annoyed with us that they do something jus to shut us up, it works in every other form of business, why not with VWA? :)

barrenjoey owl
16-01-2011, 07:20 PM
Well in my office,everyone of the 21 of us are ca nuts and all are hanging out to see the gti when it finally gets here, but when I told them September as a date, they all shook their heads and all said "you would expect better from vw". If I could suddenly afford a Rs250 I would buy it in a heart beat and cancel my polo, but I can't afford that and I need a new car the size of the polo. The problem is,it really is a great car, as far as I am concerned, nothing else matches it, especially in it's price point.

Guys, get on facebook, twitter etc and sprea th word (I can't due to a crazy stalker that might find me again!:) ), I have a feeling I might be able to find the right people to get involved for a result. If we all keep sendin letters individually also, they might get so annoyed with us that they do something jus to shut us up, it works in every other form of business, why not with VWA? :)

It wont work because VWA are simply distributers for head Office. they call only sell what they receive. Its VW HO who control the supply.

I will try and explain simply for you.

VWA do a sales forecast based on many factors and place orders to VW HO. All of the other subsideries around the world do the same.

Depending on the volume and specification of each countries orders and the availabilty of parts and supplys, flexibilty of distribution resources cars are built and distributed to each country.

if you think that they make each car individually when an order is placed you're going to be disappointed.

manufacturing is a complex process that you and your 21 mates don't seem to understand and is hardly a reliable sort of strategic thought.

Facebook and twitter wont do anything!

Car25
16-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Acceptance of misinformation and poor service is a cop-out and simply not Australian. If we allow duck-shoving between VW HO, VW Australia, and dealers it will continue.

People can make a difference if they have the energy and creativity. You see evidence of this every day.

Give me a "Can do!" person over someone who says "Here are the 10 reasons why not" any day.

BR @ ON
17-01-2011, 05:53 AM
... Give me a "Can do!" person over someone who says "Here are the 10 reasons why not" any day.

It takes a bit more than some "Can do!" individuals to make cars, not to mention it is so sought after!

But you have to thank god, VW do not market like Apple. at least they give you a realistic Estimate Time.

I said that because I had quoted waiting of 2 months, and got it in 1.5

gavs
17-01-2011, 07:18 AM
It wont work because VWA are simply distributers for head Office. they call only sell what they receive. Its VW HO who control the supply.

VWA do a sales forecast based on many factors and place orders to VW HO. All of the other subsideries around the world do the same.

Depending on the volume and specification of each countries orders and the availabilty of parts and supplys, flexibilty of distribution resources cars are built and distributed to each country.

if you think that they make each car individually when an order is placed you're going to be disappointed.

manufacturing is a complex process that you and your 21 mates don't seem to understand and is hardly a reliable sort of strategic thought.

Facebook and twitter wont do anything!

You mention that VWA do a sales forcast. That is correct, but they have a flog doing it because they keep screwing it up!! World car of the year will only sell 30-35 vehicles per month around the country?! You have to be kidding me!!

Facebook and twitter won't do anything? Except alerting people who do not have access to this forum to what is going on. If facebook won't do anything, please explain how the nerd that started it is now one of the richest people in the world and companies use it to aid in the spread of information every day, i.e Amarok facebook page, Polo GTI facebook page....

Look, the more I read your posts barrenjoey owl, the more I start to think that you might be affiliated to VWA head office, either that or you are just a bitter person, so please stop posting negative feedback in this thread, all you are doing is inciting more negativity and we are getting plenty of that already from the useless turds who sit in their little VW offices in sydney with their thumb up their a**e!

Please stop posting in this thread unless you have something constructive to say that will help.

Car25
17-01-2011, 07:25 AM
Can we think of some specific actions we can take? I'm thinking here of brainstorming all ideas and then deciding which may actually make a difference. If we started with 10 ideas then implemented, say, 4...one may actually get through to those who actually matter.

noone
17-01-2011, 07:56 AM
World car of the year will only sell 30-35 vehicles per month around the country?! You have to be kidding me!!

Is that the actual VWA forecast or what we are allocated? Aust is pretty low on the priority list, we move very few units compared to other countries

dave_r
17-01-2011, 10:09 AM
Making VWA aware of your concerns can make a difference. Many of us voiced our issue directly to VWA when they announced early last year that the Golf R would be available in 5 door only. That decision was reversed and we all got our 3 doors. Might have been a stunt etc but we complained and they responded.

However they can't do much about delivery delays in a short space of time. Demand is increasing and they need to secure more stock from Germany. But doesn't seem to be exclusive to AU. Once the models go on sale in the USA, things will only get worse I suspect.

From memory I waited Apr/May to Sep for the Polo and May/June to Dec for the R. I said plenty of times that I'd vote with my feet and go elsewhere but the reality was, elsewhere meant accepting an inferior product I didn't really want.

So by all means write a letter but don't expect a result in the near future, it just isn't that easy.

gavs
17-01-2011, 11:49 AM
From memory I waited Apr/May to Sep for the Polo and May/June to Dec for the R. I said plenty of times that I'd vote with my feet and go elsewhere but the reality was, elsewhere meant accepting an inferior product I didn't really want.

Dave, you have hit the nail fair and square on the head. If I wanted a car that would fall apart and catch fire, while in the process of not being as good to drive, or as fast, as a Polo GTI, I would buy the Alfa MiTo sport model, Suzuki Swift sport is nowhere near the Polo in terms of performance of refinement, the Peugeot 207, my GF has one and the french are kidding when they say all their models are "sporting in their dynamic setup".

I want a Polo GTI, simple as that, but when the dealers aren't being helped by Head Office to make that happen, I am going to ask head office "Why not?", simple as that.

pologti18t
17-01-2011, 12:24 PM
You mention that VWA do a sales forcast. That is correct, but they have a flog doing it because they keep screwing it up!! World car of the year will only sell 30-35 vehicles per month around the country?! You have to be kidding me!!

How can they supply a "sales forecast" when then is no such thing as a standard spec Polo GTI?

They need to prune the options list and reduce the number of possible build combinations. Only then will VWA be able to take a gamble on what cars to forward order (without a direct customer order).

2 suggestions: Ditch the factory fit rcd510 upgrade (make it dealer fit). Make the comfortpack standard or ditch it.

dave_r
17-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I am going to ask head office "Why not?", simple as that.
Yep and fair enough. It's better than complaining on a forum where nothing could be done. But don't expect miracles when you do.

Car25
17-01-2011, 02:20 PM
The idea "They need to prune the options list and reduce the number of possible build combinations" makes a lot of sense if combined with more capacity to "do stuff" at the dealer end.

GTI JOE
17-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I have a slightly different tac. Rather than send a complaint about production numbers for POLO GTIs to VGA (who are inept), I went straight to "El Capitano", the CEO of the Volkswagen Group Mr Martin Winterkorn. He can be reached at martin.winterkorn@audi.de . The following is what I sent:

Dear Martin,

I am writing to you today to try to obtain an answer as to why there is such a delay in production of Polo GTIs for Australia. I have approached Volkswagen Australia and they have advised me that the delay is due to the Wolfsburg Headquarters in Germany not allowing them to submit their orders until certain production requirements are established. There are many unhappy customers here in Australia that find these extreme delays totally unacceptable, and I know of many who have cancelled their orders. I ordered my Polo GTI in early December 2010 and do not have a build date, let alone a delivery date. Would you be able to advise me on when production runs for Australia will be commencing? as Volkswagen Australia do not know and somehow think that estimated delivery dates will be around August-September 2011. I am certain you agree that this is a very long time to wait for a car. Any assistance or information would be greatly appreciated.

For your information, my order is still with Volkswagen Australia and has not changed status on their database. The Polo GTI is a great vehicle and I am very much looking forward to owning one, whenever it arrives, hopefully sooner than later.

Hope this gets the ball rolling, at least have a go:)

MYGTI'
17-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I have a slightly different tac. Rather than send a complaint about production numbers for POLO GTIs to VGA (who are inept), I went straight to "El Capitano", the CEO of the Volkswagen Group Mr Martin Winterkorn. He can be reached at martin.winterkorn@audi.de . The following is what I sent:

Dear Martin,

I am writing to you today to try to obtain an answer as to why there is such a delay in production of Polo GTIs for Australia. I have approached Volkswagen Australia and they have advised me that the delay is due to the Wolfsburg Headquarters in Germany not allowing them to submit their orders until certain production requirements are established. There are many unhappy customers here in Australia that find these extreme delays totally unacceptable, and I know of many who have cancelled their orders. I ordered my Polo GTI in early December 2010 and do not have a build date, let alone a delivery date. Would you be able to advise me on when production runs for Australia will be commencing? as Volkswagen Australia do not know and somehow think that estimated delivery dates will be around August-September 2011. I am certain you agree that this is a very long time to wait for a car. Any assistance or information would be greatly appreciated.

For your information, my order is still with Volkswagen Australia and has not changed status on their database. The Polo GTI is a great vehicle and I am very much looking forward to owning one, whenever it arrives, hopefully sooner than later.

Hope this gets the ball rolling, at least have a go:)

Good Work! Keep us updated.

gavs
18-01-2011, 07:16 AM
GTI Joe, that is a good method, if teh CEO gets inundated with complaint letters from "Ze far off southern land" who he personally earmarked as a major growth market for VW, including Commercial vehicles, we might get a decent answer...... Maybe.....

gavs
18-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Ok, a mini update:
Another prospective Polo owner has spoken to me about his (limited) success with getting answers from head office. From the logistics department who are responsible for vehicles coming in and being distributed to dealers etc, they have basically said "...we simply do not know when they are coming..." which, although it's not the answer we would all like to hear, at least the guy was upfront and not giving out the current crop of BS dates for arrivals.

What has also been highlighted is the underhanded tactics from some dealers, putting promised delivery dates onto sale contracts, knowing full well that the vehicles will not be ready, but this is then forcing the factory to send these cars as a priority, something VWA head office is now allerted to and is stopping.

pologti18t
18-01-2011, 11:55 AM
What has also been highlighted is the underhanded tactics from some dealers, putting promised delivery dates onto sale contracts, knowing full well that the vehicles will not be ready, but this is then forcing the factory to send these cars as a priority, something VWA head office is now allerted to and is stopping.

Buy the time any of you get your cars the 1.4TSFI engine will have been phased out :)

JaneAusten
18-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Buy the time any of you get your cars the 1.4TSFI engine will have been phased out :)

You are such a party pooper

gavs
18-01-2011, 03:47 PM

Low blow mate, very low blow..... ;)

Hail22
18-01-2011, 03:56 PM
HAHAHA and i was the one being bashed at on the first week i posted saying i have a feeling the 1.4 TSI motor will be replaced/stopped due to high costs in repairs and also major reliability issues.

Oh well its a collectors car now!

pologti18t
18-01-2011, 04:19 PM
HAHAHA and i was the one being bashed at on the first week i posted saying i have a feeling the 1.4 TSI motor will be replaced/stopped due to high costs in repairs and also major reliability issues.

Oh well its a collectors car now!

Now thats a low blow! The rumour is its being phased out on costs reasons.

Though when you think about it ... the sports equivalents from Ford/GM etc hhave/will have 1.6L turbo engines.
And the other rumour is that the S1 will have a 1.6l Turbo with upto 220hp. So it would be easier for VW to settle on a range of turbo only engines. 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6.

GTI JOE
18-01-2011, 08:02 PM
I agree with JaneAusten, except for dropping the word party:). There should be more "Sense and Sensibility" on this thread and less "Pride and Prejudice"

On the engine replacement, well, if delivery times are anything to go by, may happen in another 5 years. Hopefully my GTI will still have the twincharger.

Frostee
19-01-2011, 05:49 AM
I just called Melbourne Radio 3AW this morning for their "Grouse and Shouse" segment and went to air just after the 7.30am news where one of the stories was VW Polo winning Wheels Car of the Year"

I said that what was "shouse" was after ordeing the car on Dec 2nd paying a $1000 deposit and being told an ETA of April, I received a call last week advising that I MIGHT see it in July or August.

Nice to see a little balance in the Media Monitor Reports that Volkswagen Australia will be receiving today.

Transporter
19-01-2011, 07:16 AM
I just called Melbourne Radio 3AW this morning for their "Grouse and Shouse" segment and went to air just after the 7.30am news where one of the stories was VW Polo winning Wheels Car of the Year"

I said that what was "shouse" was after ordeing the car on Dec 2nd paying a $1000 deposit and being told an ETA of April, I received a call last week advising that I MIGHT see it in July or August.

Nice to see a little balance in the Media Monitor Reports that Volkswagen Australia will be receiving today.

LOL, that's just showing how in demand the Polo is. :facepalm:

gavs
19-01-2011, 08:44 AM
Be prepared all fellow Polo orderers, now we definately won't see our cars this year because VWA will give us all the finger and only bring in base models of everything because they have a new marketing wave to ride for sales!

Kane-St-Kane
19-01-2011, 10:13 AM
I cancelled my order on Friday because VGA told me I should 'take off options'. Exact words were 'If you didn't pick all the options then you'd get a car quicker'. FUFYI VGA - If you offer them, expect people to order them.

Now I'm on a desperate hunt for a fully optioned 77TSI DSG :frown:

pologti18t
19-01-2011, 11:53 AM
I cancelled my order on Friday because VGA told me I should 'take off options'. Exact words were 'If you didn't pick all the options then you'd get a car quicker'. FUFYI VGA - If you offer them, expect people to order them.

And so you REPEAT the mistake you made with the GTI?

blutopless2
19-01-2011, 01:16 PM
In my experience with VW i haven't really had a problem with the time taken for delivery.
Our new beetle cabrio took 6 months as they had none in the country in the colour and interior we wanted.
Our polo GTI (07) took 3 weeks as there was already one in sydney in the colour and specs we wanted.. just had to wait for the wheels to arrive.
Our Jetta (08) took about 6 months as they had to wait for one to be built in the colour and specs we wanted.
Our Tiguan (10) took about 4 months as they had to wait for one to built in the colour and specs we wanted.
In all cases we found the dealerships to be up front about the time it would take etc... they all kept in contact with us regarding delivery dates etc... not once did i have to ring them to ask for updates etc.. (and they were all bought from different dealers) and in all cases they were pretty accurate with the delivery times to within a few weeks... all of them arrived earlier than predicted.
I agree that in some cases the wait can be really long.. and i agree its annoying. I support the OP in his quest to find out if there is a problem here or OS.... as it does appear like we get a rough deal. Good luck with it.
as a side comment.....
When we bought the polo we knew the owner of the dealership and was talking with him about how he knows what to order for the showroom etc... he said it was really hard to get extra cars (and that was in 07) as 90-95% of the cars coming on the boats were for customers waiting. He stated that several dealerships were hassling VWA about not having stock etc and were requesting through VWA for an increase in ship arrivals to try and cope with demand.
dont know if anything happened out of this.......

GTI mk6
19-01-2011, 10:35 PM

More like if you didn't pick any options.....THEN you'd get your car quicker. :(
So, have you actually placed an order for the 77TSI?
Assuming you have due to wanting it fully optioned?
I have been told by 2 dealerships it's only the GTI that has no production date for at
least the first quarter of this year, also confirmed from VWA.
Will you be looking at an APR stage 1 to compensate for the drop in power?
Sorry to hear you cancelled, but good luck with getting a 77TSI with a more
favorable ETA

payno
19-01-2011, 11:55 PM
Been reading for a while and thought it was time I added my whinge too :(
Ordered a 5 door GTI on day 1 too and obviously have no idea when I will have it.
Dealer said maybe late July but I'm sure that's a guess.

Can anyone explain the whole delay thing to me? It's not like there's a waiting list and we just have to wait our turn. There are just literally none coming to Australia at the moment. People keep saying no production for the first quarter. What does this even mean? and why?

aljobar
20-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I finalised my order today for a 5-door GTI with most options. I was told by the dealer that he was hopeful for a late May delivery. What was more interesting was that he said that they hadn't started building customer cars yet, and that the dealer demo's were a once off batch done a few months ago. Has anyone heard anything similar?

pologti18t
20-01-2011, 08:05 AM
an anyone explain the whole delay thing to me? It's not like there's a waiting list and we just have to wait our turn. There are just literally none coming to Australia at the moment. People keep saying no production for the first quarter. What does this even mean? and why?

Easy... you ordered Xenons. None of the first batch of cars had xenons so you have to wait for a specific order. It would have been far easier to source a car WITHOUT xenons.

So far it seems the wait is for sunroof, xenons and suede trim.

The advice has been given more than once. If you want a GTI (or TSI) in a reasonable time frame then don't order it with options.

gavs
20-01-2011, 08:56 AM
I finalised my order today for a 5-door GTI with most options. I was told by the dealer that he was hopeful for a late May delivery. What was more interesting was that he said that they hadn't started building customer cars yet, and that the dealer demo's were a once off batch done a few months ago. Has anyone heard anything similar?

Ha ha, mate, if you read through all of the posts here, you won't be receiving your car before SEPTEMBER at the earliest! Sorry for the bad news mate, I'd be confronting your dealer and check your contract, if it has a promised date on it, it's a lie and your dealer has forced your car ahead of all of ours in the queue and believe me, this will become a very unpopular dealer if indeed they have!!!

aljobar
20-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Ha ha, mate, if you read through all of the posts here, you won't be receiving your car before SEPTEMBER at the earliest! Sorry for the bad news mate, I'd be confronting your dealer and check your contract, if it has a promised date on it, it's a lie and your dealer has forced your car ahead of all of ours in the queue and believe me, this will become a very unpopular dealer if indeed they have!!!

Yeah I know, but I'll keep deluding myself until I hear officially :P

GTI mk6
20-01-2011, 02:31 PM

sounds promisng for late May delivery now doesnt it? :rolleyes:
Good dealer tactic to get your order though.
Sounds contradictory to me, unless he knows of one coming.
Good luck

GraveDilute
20-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Hi guys, first post on here after lurking a while.
I pulled the trigger and ordered a Red 5dr Polo Gti yesterday. I wanted a comfort pack but wasn't willing to wait 7 months (min) for delivery so I compromised and figured that I can live without the small conveniences offered.

I should be getting my car late February.
Good luck to everyone waiting and I look forward to being able to contribute to the community.

gavs
20-01-2011, 03:36 PM
Ok, I've been speaking to my dealership almost every day this week and the sales manager has been able to finally get onto the area manager.

As far as the area manager is concerned, there is a production allocation list for dealerships due end January/early February which will give us an idea of what models and which individual cars will be able to be built for the July, August and September arrivals for the allocated number of cars for Australia.

Fingers crossed for July! BUT, this includes ALL VW MODELS over this period and all model varients of those models, so this can range from Passat CC to Polo Trendline etc.

GTI JOE
20-01-2011, 04:09 PM
Will wonders ever cease, thanks for the info gav.
On another miraculous event, I received a reply from the CEO of VW, although he has passed it onto his underlings. This is there reply:

Thank you for your correspondence addressed to our Chairman, Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, who has asked us as the responsible department of Customer Care to respond on his behalf.

We sincerely regret your dissatisfaction caused by the waiting time for the delivery of your Volkswagen Polo GTI.

In order to enable us to assess the production status and respectively delivery time of your vehicle, we have to check the six-digit commission or order number which is specified on your contract of purchase. For this reason we kindly ask you to provide us with a copy via e-mail of your sales contract.

We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours sincerely,
i.V. Michelina Lauriola Maenza Marcos Vieira

Volkswagen AG
38436 Wolfsburg
Tel +49 (0) 1805 865579*
Fax +49 (0) 1805 329865*
Mail to kundenbetreuung@volkswagen.de
Homepage Volkswagen Deutschland (http://www.volkswagen.de)

To which I replied and forwarded to the General Manager VGA Anka Koeckler:

Thank you for your response Michelina,

The main problem that I am encountering, as are many other people with regard to their orders of POLO GTIs, is that we have not been given any commission numbers or order numbers by Volkswagen Australia. They are insisting that they cannot process their orders until head office in Germany allows them to submit these orders. So, basically, Volkswagen Australia is unable to give production or delivery times for our Polo GTIs, they even suggest that the delay may be upto 10 months which is totally unsatisfactory, ridiculous and frustrating.

The details I can give you with regard to my vehicle is that I placed my order through my dealership called Hutchinson Motors in mid December 2010. The dealership is located in Mildura, Victoria, Australia. It was for a Polo GTI, Candy White, Three Door, Xenon Light Pack, Comfort Pack, Audio Pack. Volkswagen Australia have my order and it is confirmed on their database, however, they cannot process this order until they get the permission from head office Germany, therefore, no commission number or order number.

I beleive that the supply situation in Australia is pretty grim and this must be addressed immediately. I would like to know from you when my car will be produced and delivered. If the delay is going to be another 10 months as Volkswagen Australia seem to be indicating, then you may have lost a customer.

Well, lets see where this takes us...."to infinity and beyond"....well maybe just a July delivery would be nice:)

pologti18t
20-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I pulled the trigger and ordered a Red 5dr Polo Gti yesterday. I wanted a comfort pack but wasn't willing to wait 7 months (min) for delivery so I compromised and figured that I can live without the small conveniences offered.

I dont think you will miss the comfort pack... and personsally I think the satin finish knobs of the standard climatic a/c look classier than the LCD readout of the climatronic A/C. That said, the auto dimming mirror would be nice to have.

Ralfi
20-01-2011, 05:05 PM

I should be getting my car late February.
Good luck to everyone waiting and I look forward to being able to contribute to the community.
Welcome.
:)

Hope your dealer delivers on time! Good luck!
:)

JaneAusten
20-01-2011, 05:08 PM
GTI Joe, you are a legend.

gavs
21-01-2011, 07:13 AM
GTI Joe, just think, if you hadn't of cacelled your order at Bayford, we might not have gotten down this track and gotten to where we currently are!!

Wonder if I too will get a reply from them....

Frostee
21-01-2011, 10:41 AM
I shot them a note last night with all my order details and all my disappointment that I was never given any inkling of there being supply issues at the time of ordering and ordered on the understanding that ETA would be sometime around April. I couldn't resist mentioning our Consumer laws around Misleading and Deceptive Conduct. Probbably a long bow to pull but I figured what have I go to lose, because this whole representation regarding the release of the car and ordering discussions etc has mislead me.

I'll let you know if I hear back

Misleading & deceptive conduct (http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/815335)

themmc
21-01-2011, 02:10 PM
All interesting. I have the 6 digit number from the dealer, but still no build date for the car. Although the dealer has indicated wk9 of this year (which starts Feb 21st I guess) is when it's likely as they (the dealer) have a build slot then. At least the dealer has been regularly emailing me and telling me when the next update will be.

GTI JOE
21-01-2011, 05:37 PM
All interesting. I have the 6 digit number from the dealer, but still no build date for the car. Although the dealer has indicated wk9 of this year (which starts Feb 21st I guess) is when it's likely as they (the dealer) have a build slot then. At least the dealer has been regularly emailing me and telling me when the next update will be.

The main problem is with the GTIs, other Polos seem to be getting through.....fascinating captain:)

Hail22
21-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Joe when you get your GTI don't forget to think hard about a great number plate to go with it "Batler" "Digger" etc your eventual car deserves some fighting encouragement!

GTI JOE
22-01-2011, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys:)
I am starting to feel like that guy in the film "The Castle". If we all just bombard the VW Group with complaints then maybe our voices in Australia WILL be heard at VW HQ, that's where all the important boffins are in their ivory towers. If not, then their view is DGAS (Don't Give A ****). I guess, just in case, I should be working on a 'Plan B' if this delivery time goes to the end of 2011. This may entail looking at other brands of cars that can deliver, a second hand Mini John Cooper Works would be nice.

I will keep you posted with any late breaking news.

Buller_Scott
22-01-2011, 07:43 AM
there are ways to get their attention- i wont go into detail, but there are ways.

pm me if you'd like a potential alternative to the usual "repetitive phone calls, dealer visits, emails, and letters" route (moderators included).

Souljak
22-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Hi all, if it helps ...

My Golf GTI is on the boat now. Long story short it left Germany 24/12 and swung by South Africa 20/01 with the following stops:

FREMANTLE AUSTRALIA 31/01/2011
MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA 05/02/2011
PORT KEMBLA AUSTRALIA 07/02/2011
BRISBANE AUSTRALIA 09/02/2011

Point I wanted to make was I would assume new Polo stocks would have been picked up in SA and if your in the market for a new one in a particular spec you might find one that suits on the boat. I think you can have your dealer run a search of all unallocated stock. The boats name is Otello, voyage CO035-OTL.

Good luck, hope you get your cars soon

GTI JOE
22-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Wonder if the ship swung by Spain as well? that's where the Polo GTIs are being built. I believe SA builds the other Polos.

Souljak
22-01-2011, 08:01 PM
Wonder if the ship swung by Spain as well? that's where the Polo GTIs are being built. I believe SA builds the other Polos.

Sorry, no. I didn't know they were built there. Its gone Germany > UK > South Africa > Australia

Tank Engine
22-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I waited about 6 months in '06 for a Golf GTI.

VWA don't listen because they have no influence at galactic HQ. If you really, really want a pogo then wait.........

GTI JOE
23-01-2011, 07:48 AM
I waited about 6 months in '06 for a Golf GTI.

VWA don't listen because they have no influence at galactic HQ. If you really, really want a pogo then wait.........

I agree, as I have previously pointed out, but while we wait we try to change things. Gotta do something while passing the days, months;)

stucam
23-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Gav et al, I lusted after a Polo GTI but when ALL VIC dealers told me I'd have to wait 6-8 mths, I thought: stuff that. Having also weighed up the quality and stock option differences between the Polo and the Golf GTI, I thought I'd look into the Golf. I managed to find the car I wanted in an afternoon and have it delivered if a boat in 3-4 weeks. YES, it is a much more expensive car, but when I weighed it all up it was a no brainer. S

Souljak
23-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Gav et al, I lusted after a Polo GTI but when ALL VIC dealers told me I'd have to wait 6-8 mths, I thought: stuff that. Having also weighed up the quality and stock option differences between the Polo and the Golf GTI, I thought I'd look into the Golf. I managed to find the car I wanted in an afternoon and have it delivered if a boat in 3-4 weeks. YES, it is a much more expensive car, but when I weighed it all up it was a no brainer. S

Yeah, I kinda agree with this one too. I had an order for a Polo GTI but by the time you option it up and get it on the road your looking at mid to high 30's. So I went a base 3dr Golf GTI with manual and 18" detriots instead and stumped up the extra coin. Yeah, its more money but I know in the long run id be more happy.

What the Polo does have over the Golf though is size. While its not a big issue for me as im from the suburbs for city dwellers and drivers I can see why a Polo is more practical especially when their the same in 0-100

I dont doubt for a second though its all VWA's fault for slow deliveries. End of the day their a business and have numbers to meet and im sure they would love to get more stock and quicker to meet demand. This is just what happens sometimes

William_Foster
23-01-2011, 04:49 PM
On a positive note; does anyone think that the delays in ordering has something to do with why the VW's have good depreciation figures when compared to some rivals? Given that I am at nearing the end of my 6-7 month wait I am probably a little more positive at this stage than those that are just embarking on the long wait.

Frostee
23-01-2011, 06:18 PM
Maybe, but then again if you order a car in December 10 expecting to get it in April 10 and then are told you're going to get it in Aug/Sep 10 you've already got a 2011 car that's the best part of 12 months old as far as resale a few years down the track will view it.

gavs
24-01-2011, 03:52 PM
...told you're going to get it in Aug/Sep 10 you've already got a 2011 car that's the best part of 12 months old as far as resale a few years down the track will view it.

I'm not sure I follow. You get a car with a build date generally 8 weeks after it's built then it gets a compliance plate at the docks/pre delivery centre saying the compliance date. If I order a car in December 2010 then receive it in September after being built in June 2011, it doesn't get a build date of 12/2010, it gets a build date of 06/2011 and complianced 09/2011...

gavs
24-01-2011, 03:53 PM
On another note guys, has anyone heard the whispers of extra GTI builds happening this qtr...?

payno
24-01-2011, 07:53 PM
On another note guys, has anyone heard the whispers of extra GTI builds happening this qtr...?

Who whispered this to you!

Does this mean a lucky few may not actually have to wait until July?

poloboy
24-01-2011, 08:36 PM
I was lucky enough to get the chance to put a couple hundred km on a press GTI yesterday, that fix should hopefully help me survive the wait

Frostee
24-01-2011, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure I follow. You get a car with a build date generally 8 weeks after it's built then it gets a compliance plate at the docks/pre delivery centre saying the compliance date. If I order a car in December 2010 then receive it in September after being built in June 2011, it doesn't get a build date of 12/2010, it gets a build date of 06/2011 and complianced 09/2011...

Agreed. But isn't the model itself a year older?

GTI JOE
24-01-2011, 09:04 PM

Just confirming gavs earlier info. VGA should know by next week what is going to be built for Australia, fingers crossed mine will be on the first shipment....yeah right;). I managed to get a COMM number from my dealer, at least that is a start, I have forward this to customer care at VG Germany and cc Anka as well. And the queen said 'let them have GTIs' hope the rumour is true. Will keep you guys posted on further developments.

Hail22
25-01-2011, 07:41 AM
She has been one of the most useless Australian Vehicle CEO since the four CEOS of the bankrupt American Car companies.

Goodluck getting your allocation Joe! and everyone else!

gavs
25-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Agreed. But isn't the model itself a year older?

Not when all the vehicles being built from now on are considered MY 11.5, even if they were ordered last year. The only MY10 models (or MY 11, I'm not sure the exact designation) are the ones already here which are generally dealer cars etc.

Just confirming gavs earlier info. VGA should know by next week what is going to be built for Australia, fingers crossed mine will be on the first shipment....yeah right.

Ahhh, ok. I was told 2-3 weeks for full confirmation, either way, it looks like mine will be, or the second.... Or third... Aw who cares, all I know is that it will be here before July now:)

Souljak
25-01-2011, 07:37 PM
The Polo GTI goes on sale in NZ next month, lets hope they dont gobble up too many aussie allocations.

... you would think the Scirocco R would be enough for them though :facepalm:

GTI JOE
27-01-2011, 05:41 PM
Hi Folks,
This is the latest response from Germany HQ with regard to Polo GTI orders, not very helpful I'm afraid :(

Thank you for your further e-mail addressed to our Chairman Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, in which you provide us with the commission number of your order.

We like to assure you that we do our best to fulfil the wishes of our customers as quickly as possible and to deliver our vehicles on time. However, the great success of the new Volkswagen Polo in Australia, which also won the "Car of the Year" award last year, resulted in a very high demand of this model. Although we, of course, appreciate the great interest in our Polo, we have on the other hand exceeded production capacities, which lead to difficulties in keeping up with the production dates.

Orders for vehicles are collected by our importers and sent to us in bulk. Despite the commission number that your Volkswagen retailer has received from our importer, Volkswagen Group Australia, we have to inform you that, regrettably, it is yet not possible for us to determine the delivery date of your car.

We sincerely apologise that we are still not in a position to provide you with dependable information on your order. Our importer or your Volkswagen dealer will keep you updated on delivery status of your Polo GTI.

Yours sincerely,
i.V. Michelina Lauriola Maenza i.V. Knud Korthals

Volkswagen AG
38436 Wolfsburg
Tel +49 (0) 1805 865579*
Fax +49 (0) 1805 329865*

To which I replied:

Dear Michelina,

I appreciate your reply although I am extremely disappointed with your response. I fully understand your production difficulties, however, considering I do not have any experience in the car manufacturing industry, even I knew that the Polo GTI was going to be an extremely popular vehicle here in Australia, therefore your marketing/research department should of expected this and made the necessary adjustments to the allocations for Australia. I still cannot understand how the Volkswagen Group miscalculated so terribly and how you can launch a new car in Australia and expect customers to patiently wait for up to 10 months for delivery. You must address this problem very quickly as I fear that the Volkswagen Group will be alienating its clients and become a car company that cannot be distrusted in delivering vehicles in a reasonable time frame. This will cause people to look at other manufacturers, other brands which can deliver.

I also believe that your ordering system is very perplexing, bulk orders? This basically means that Australian orders can be sitting in the system for an indeterminate time which creates undetermined delivery times. Customers want to know when their vehicles are coming, not a "ball park" figure. I sincerely hope you can find a solution to this problem. I like Volkswagen vehicles very much, their performance and the quality of their build, but 10 months wait?, seriously not good enough.

Perhaps a solution is to build another Volkswagen plant here in Australia to service the Oceania and Asian sector, this would alleviate the stress on your other production facilities and help your future customers, but I am sure that you have considered this already, I hope so anyway.

So I guess the status quo....keep waitin and dreamin;)

I will wait for any confirmed-set in stone-final details as they come to hand. Hopefully end of next week.

barrenjoey owl
27-01-2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Folks,
This is the latest response from Germany HQ with regard to Polo GTI orders, not very helpful I'm afraid :(

Thank you for your further e-mail addressed to our Chairman Prof. Dr. Martin Winterkorn, in which you provide us with the commission number of your order.

We like to assure you that we do our best to fulfil the wishes of our customers as quickly as possible and to deliver our vehicles on time. However, the great success of the new Volkswagen Polo in Australia, which also won the "Car of the Year" award last year, resulted in a very high demand of this model. Although we, of course, appreciate the great interest in our Polo, we have on the other hand exceeded production capacities, which lead to difficulties in keeping up with the production dates.

Orders for vehicles are collected by our importers and sent to us in bulk. Despite the commission number that your Volkswagen retailer has received from our importer, Volkswagen Group Australia, we have to inform you that, regrettably, it is yet not possible for us to determine the delivery date of your car.

We sincerely apologise that we are still not in a position to provide you with dependable information on your order. Our importer or your Volkswagen dealer will keep you updated on delivery status of your Polo GTI.

Yours sincerely,
i.V. Michelina Lauriola Maenza i.V. Knud Korthals

Volkswagen AG
38436 Wolfsburg
Tel +49 (0) 1805 865579*
Fax +49 (0) 1805 329865*

To which I replied:

Dear Michelina,

I appreciate your reply although I am extremely disappointed with your response. I fully understand your production difficulties, however, considering I do not have any experience in the car manufacturing industry, even I knew that the Polo GTI was going to be an extremely popular vehicle here in Australia, therefore your marketing/research department should of expected this and made the necessary adjustments to the allocations for Australia. I still cannot understand how the Volkswagen Group miscalculated so terribly and how you can launch a new car in Australia and expect customers to patiently wait for up to 10 months for delivery. You must address this problem very quickly as I fear that the Volkswagen Group will be alienating its clients and become a car company that cannot be distrusted in delivering vehicles in a reasonable time frame. This will cause people to look at other manufacturers, other brands which can deliver.

I also believe that your ordering system is very perplexing, bulk orders? This basically means that Australian orders can be sitting in the system for an indeterminate time which creates undetermined delivery times. Customers want to know when their vehicles are coming, not a "ball park" figure. I sincerely hope you can find a solution to this problem. I like Volkswagen vehicles very much, their performance and the quality of their build, but 10 months wait?, seriously not good enough.

Perhaps a solution is to build another Volkswagen plant here in Australia to service the Oceania and Asian sector, this would alleviate the stress on your other production facilities and help your future customers, but I am sure that you have considered this already, I hope so anyway.

So I guess the status quo....keep waitin and dreamin;)

I will wait for any confirmed-set in stone-final details as they come to hand. Hopefully end of next week.

So now you know that VWA were telling the truth...........it's not a great result but you've heard it from the horses mouth.

Frostee
28-01-2011, 12:11 AM
I received a very similar reply, nothing new here;

Thank you for your e-mail and the letter, which you have addressed to Professor Dr. Martin Winterkorn, Chaiman of Board of
Management. As the responsible department for customer concerns, we have been requested to reply.

We appreciate your interest in our products and are glad that you have decided to purchase the new Volkswagen Polo at Camberwell
Volkswagen. Thank you for the confidence placed in our brand.

All the more, we really understand your disappointment and your frustration because of the delayed delivery of your car and
apologise for any inconvenience this is causing you.

We assure you that we do our best to fulfil the wishes of our customers as quickly as possible and to deliver our vehicles on
time. However, the great success of the new Volkswagen Polo in Australia, which also won the "Car of the Year" award last year,
resulted to a very high demand of this model. Although, we of course appreciate the great interest in our Polo, we have on the
other hand exceeded production capacities, which lead to difficulties in keeping up with the production dates.

As it is not possible for us to ascertain individual vehicle orders, which are sent to us in bulk, we have forwarded this
correspondence to our importer

VOLKSWAGEN Group Australia Ltd
The Lakes Business Park
6 Lord Street Botany NSW 2019
PO Box 2316
Strawberry Hills, NSW
Australia
E-mail: customerservice@volkswagen.com.au

and their Management, asking them to verify the delivery date of your car. The importer or your Volkswagen dealer will update
you on delivery status as soon as possible.

Thank you again for taking time to inform us about your dissatisfaction and to bring this matter to our attention.

Yours sincerely,
i.V. Michelina Lauriola Maenza i.V. Karin Gaedecke
guess the status quo....keep waitin and dreamin

So now you know that
Volkswagen AG
38436 Wolfsburg
Tel +49 (0) 1805 865579*
Fax +49 (0) 1805 329865*

GTI JOE
28-01-2011, 08:02 AM
So now you know that VWA were telling the truth...........it's not a great result but you've heard it from the horses mouth.

I never said that VGA was not telling the truth, the whole point of the exercise was to try to obtain a fairer deal in Australia and to send a message to VW HQ to increase their allocations to service their customers here and stop these lengthy delays in delivery. Why not build another factory?

gavs
28-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Ahhh, not quite. Aside from the fact that none of us who have contacted head office in Wolfsburg were told by VWA head office any of the information that VW HO gave us, I would say that comments like "....they said the sunroof is what causing the long delay..." or "If you didn't pick all the options then you'd get a car quicker" would show they had no idea about why they weren't getting cars. Persons higher in the food chain might have, but the customer-service hacks had no idea...

It also doesn't explain how suddenly those of us lucky enough have now been told there are "extra production slots" for our cars to be built when the factory apparently is already running at full capacity with no more room for cars, especially ones that are "bulk ordered" by VWA...

Oh, and on a side note barrenjoey owl,

I think "me and my 21 mates" might know something about manufacturing, especially automotive products, seeing as we are the team that create every new product from scratch for Australia's biggest and best 4x4 accessory manufacturer, maybe you have heard of us?

ARB 4x4 Accessories (http://www.arb.com.au/)

markwid
28-01-2011, 08:25 AM
Someone else posted this link in mk6 section. Might be of interest.

Volkswagen Shuts Down Wolfsburg | The Truth About Cars (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2011/01/volkswagen-shuts-down-wolfsburg/)

barrenjoey owl
28-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Ahhh, not quite. Aside from the fact that none of us who have contacted head office in Wolfsburg were told by VWA head office any of the information that VW HO gave us, I would say that comments like "....they said the sunroof is what causing the long delay..." or "If you didn't pick all the options then you'd get a car quicker" would show they had no idea about why they weren't getting cars. Persons higher in the food chain might have, but the customer-service hacks had no idea...

It also doesn't explain how suddenly those of us lucky enough have now been told there are "extra production slots" for our cars to be built when the factory apparently is already running at full capacity with no more room for cars, especially ones that are "bulk ordered" by VWA...

Oh, and on a side note barrenjoey owl,

I think "me and my 21 mates" might know something about manufacturing, especially automotive products, seeing as we are the team that create every new product from scratch for Australia's biggest and best 4x4 accessory manufacturer, maybe you have heard of us?

ARB 4x4 Accessories (http://www.arb.com.au/)

Your side note is noted and I'm agreat fan of the ARB product range.

However to compare ARB to VW Worldwide manufacturing is comparing apples and oranges.

You've been advised of the situation, you'll just have to live with it.

cheers

pologti18t
28-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I hope the squeaky wheels here aren't doing it in the hope of getting their wheels "oiled" before others in the queue ;)

gavs
28-01-2011, 01:23 PM
I hope the squeaky wheels here aren't doing it in the hope of getting their wheels "oiled" before others in the queue ;)

Well, mine was one of the first ones on order already, so I don't know about others but it seems through my research that it goes by date of the vehicle entered into the system by the dealer, then finalised as a finished vehicle when a customer's name is put to the car. So all the "squeeking" theoretically amounts to nothing:) But if someone gets their car before me from squeeking...... I'll go he!

Corey_R
28-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Hey guys.

I thought I'd pop in and share some of my experience.

I ordered a Golf R on the day it was released in Australia (June 12, last year). I then received it exactly 6 months and 1 day later (December 13th).

From day one the (very honest) sales guy explained to me that the "ETA" would be 6 months, but that this ETA is only based on their experience from recent orders of similar cars from the factory that my car would be coming from. i.e. they've ordered plenty of Golf GTI's over the past year and they guess how long it will take based on that. No body, not any dealer, not VGA, not even VW HQ can tell you when your car will arrive until a production slot is allocated. Even then, they can only give you an estimate as Volkswagen does not control the shipping companies, the shipping ports, the compliance companies, customs, quarantine, or the weather (yes, the weather can cause details).

The other thing is that it took almost 2 months before a production slot was allocated for my order.

Neither the 2 month wait for a production slot, nor the 6 month wait for the delivery was "news" or unexpected for me. I've been around these forums (as a silent observer for a year or so before joining up) for a few years, and so it was all expected.

The other point is that orders are not processed strictly on a first come first served basis. Whilst generally that is the case, think about the practicality. Car production is based on a "just in time" delivery of parts (i.e. parts come in as needed, there is not a big warehouse full of a months supply of parts next to the factory). So if you ordered a DSG Polo, and 3 weeks later someone ordered a Manual Polo, but then there is a shortage of DSG's, the manual orders well get brought forward to keep the production at full capacity. So you may end up receiving your car 3 weeks after that manual person (6 week longer wait). This exact situation happened with the Golf R last year.

If there wasn't a production problem?
4 months would be the "average" minimum wait for a car coming from Germany, even if production capacity was sufficient.. Yes, I know that the Polo GTI isn't made in Germany, but they appear to be put on a train and loaded to ship from Bremerhaven. The 4 months wait would be a few weeks for allocation, a few weeks for production, ~2 months for transport (this can vary by weeks depending on route and weather), and ~3 weeks for compliance/dealer delivery etc.

It's not an Australian problem. There is more than one problem as well.
The problem that Volkswagen have is that the world-wide demand is just out stripping production capacity. This is not an Australia only problem. Even the suppliers are having issues, which is why the Wolfsburg factory is being shut for a day etc. It's also why Volkswagen are investing 50 billion Euro with the majority going to expansion of production in Germany.

Whilst I understand peoples frustration, there is going to be much more pain involved before things get any better. As you can imagine, it's very difficult to spend 50 billion euro (~$70 billion Australia) in a day. Hell, it's it's only going to take $5 billion to rebuild QLD. That should put into perspective the scale of what needs to occur here.

What is an Australian specific problem (I think) is that some dealers are out-right lying to customers to make sales or "steal" sales from other dealers by putting "ETAs" on contracts which they know cannot be met. This isn't a new thing, but it's just made even worse by the current situation.

You have a choice, but you don't really!
In the end, what it comes down to is that the Volkswagen product right now is great. As you guys have said in your posts above, we all have a choice to go and purchase something else, but we won't, because nothing else is as good! It's not like we're some elite group of people here - many many people are realising this same fact too, and the problem is just getting worse.

My final words are this.
Get off this site for 6 months and come back later!
Don't take that the wrong way. It's for your benefit not mine!
It's the same advice that I gave all the "original Golf R crew", and they all ignored me then too! But seriously, when you're all sitting here discussing this topic for which there is no solution, you're just making yourselves and each other unhappy. The internet is terrible for that aspect. Too much information is bad. Ignorance is bliss! So get off the internet, go get another hobby for 6 months, and then come back to track your car's progress on the boat to Australia and start discussing the topics like "what accessories" you're going to buy and mods your going to do and roads your going to drive then!

All the Golf R crew who have received their cars have now put the 6 month wait into the very depths of their minds and have forgotten about it due to how awesome their cars are, and I'm sure it'll be the same for all you guys - but your could save yourself some agony anyway.

You'll be much happier if you take that advice.... but I doubt anyone will :D

markwid
28-01-2011, 03:22 PM
Well said Corey. :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

geeza
28-01-2011, 03:56 PM
exactly - just do the time or buy another car

barrenjoey owl
28-01-2011, 04:49 PM
Well said Corey. :icon_clap: :icon_clap: :icon_clap:

Can this thread be closed now?????

VW Convert
28-01-2011, 06:16 PM
As you can imagine, it's very difficult to spend 50 billion euro (~$70 billion Australia) in a day.

Bet my missus would give it a good shake! :-)

But seriously, what Corey is saying is right, demand planning on a global scale and the logistics involved are incredibly complex and are also carried out on a long term basis not week to week or month to month but year to year and decade to decade. Don't forget also that only 2 years ago we had the GFC (from which much of the world is still emerging) and at that time, production plans the world over went out the window. Car, bus and truck manufacturers and importers suddenly found themselves having to lease acres of land to store surplus vehicles to the extent that one major European manufacturer was very much on the brink of extinction when sales were less than 30% of forecast. Who could blame them for being conservative in production planning, it takes big balls to decide to invest 50 billion of shareholders money.

themmc
29-01-2011, 12:14 PM
More than four weeks since order and VW still haven't given a BUILD date.

dribs
29-01-2011, 01:20 PM

Probably won't get it until for another 1.5 months, thats provided if their efficient.

Similiarly, I ordered my Golf in September and didn't get a confirmed build date until second week December.

gavs
01-02-2011, 07:09 AM

Wait for a couple of weeks, the build allocations were due around the start of feb for each dealer so if yours is ok for 2nd qtr production, the dealership should let you know.

Corey, what you are saying is correct. We have sent off letters to head office in Germany and to VWA and we have finally gotten some answers after some rather hefty digging with no help from VWA until they were probed so deep they could feel us in their nostrils. The main purpose of this thread was for me -as the thread starter- to garner positive support from other watercooled members (with a few exceptions) in relation to finding out answers to 3 questions:

1) When will my car be built?
2) Why can't you give me an answer to the above question?
3) Why can't you push for more Australian deliveries?

Since sending letters and getting other parties involved, I have been able to obtain answers to all these questions, in some extent, yet I do not believe that the answers are in all cases, the truth. If production is currently at maximum capacity and Australia's orders maxed as well, how can they fit another 30 cars into a production line that, by definition, cannot take any more production?

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 07:25 AM
If production is currently at maximum capacity and Australia's orders maxed as well, how can they fit another 30 cars into a production line that, by definition, cannot take any more production?

You can't. It's called damage control. They're bumping other peoples orders in order to fulfil the people who seem to be causing, or capable of causing, the most stink...

pologti18t
01-02-2011, 11:47 AM
You can't. It's called damage control. They're bumping other peoples orders in order to fulfil the people who seem to be causing, or capable of causing, the most stink...

Squeaky wheel syndrome... Hopefully "their" cars arrive with missing options - lol

Highlander
01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Joe when you get your GTI don't forget to think hard about a great number plate to go with it "Batler" "Digger" etc your eventual car deserves some fighting encouragement!

Maybe "MARTIN" would be an appropriate plate or perhaps "WAITED"

and maybe remember that the option free cars are quicker, surely the prime reason for choosing a Polo GTI, Quicker to get one and quicker when you get one.

Just joking Joyce but our well optioned Golf MkVI TDI 103 was 14 weeks from order to delivery ordered first week after release in 2009.. and the car came the long way via USA and Panama... So they can do it if they wanted to.

aljobar
01-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Volkswagen to become world's biggest car manufacturer by 2018 - 4wheelsnews.com (http://www.4wheelsnews.com/volkswagen-to-become-worlds-biggest-car-manufacturer-by-2018/)

All I can think of whenever I am lied to by my dealer is this article. How can they expect to achieve their goal and expand as a company if they can't keep up with demand as it is?

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 06:13 PM
I guess this is why companies such as Audi closed/bought out all their franchised dealers and took it back under their ownership. It's very difficult to have 81 independent (or franchised) dealers and have enough control over all of them to ensure they're all top notch and honest!

nugget1312
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Just been told today by a salesman that the waiting list for a Polo GTI is now 12 months. Anyone heard anything similar?

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 07:12 PM
Just been told today by a salesman that the waiting list for a Polo GTI is now 12 months. Anyone heard anything similar?

Correct. The wait is now 12 months, and the entire 2011 allocation has already sold out.

nugget1312
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
I ordered mine two weeks ago. I hope it got in before that allocation ran out!

polojoegti
01-02-2011, 07:22 PM
Correct. The wait is now 12 months, and the entire 2011 allocation has already sold out.
Hey Guys,

I have been liaising with VW in both Australia and Germany regarding the delivery date for my Polo GTI. Firstly, I was told April delivery when i ordered it in November. Then it moved to June, then July and today I got a phone call from VW Australia advising it would be a September delivery.

Personally, I think waiting 10 months for a car is a joke! I can order a Ferrari and have a sooner delivery time! I'm presuming you all have been told similar times?

I'm now looking for a Golf GTI as i can't wait 10 months. If anyone knows anyoneselling an MY10 Golf GTI, let me know.

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Personally, I think waiting 10 months for a car is a joke! I can order a Ferrari and have a sooner delivery time!
Knowing a few associates who have ordered Ferrari's, the average they've waited is about 18 months. They've also usually needed to place a substantial deposit on the car before there have been any pictures, specifications, or even a name of the model, to be in the "waiting list". So whilst I understand your frustration, lets not exaggarate making claims which not only have no basis, but are of little relevance.

polojoegti
01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
Knowing a few associates who have ordered Ferrari's, the average they've waited is about 18 months. They've also usually needed to place a substantial deposit on the car before there have been any pictures, specifications, or even a name of the model, to be in the "waiting list". So whilst I understand your frustration, lets not exaggarate making claims which not only have no basis, but are of little relevance.

No offence, but if I want, I can go buy a ferrari right now from the floor, and I do know this as I'm within the industry. But that's besides the point. 10 month wait for a $35k car is unreasonable.

Corey_R
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
No offense, but if I want, I can go by a Polo GTI right now from the floor.

So what's your point?

(Well... there are Polo GTI's in the dealers, I'm not sure if they're for sale or not because I'm not interested in buying one - but they could be, the problem is people want things in the specs they want them in. Just like there are Golf R's for sale on the dealer floors. Dermot had 5 up on this site last week even!)

kane
01-02-2011, 08:51 PM
No offense, but if I want, I can go by a Polo GTI right now from the floor.

So what's your point?

(Well... there are Polo GTI's in the dealers, I'm not sure if they're for sale or not because I'm not interested in buying one - but they could be, the problem is people want things in the specs they want them in. Just like there are Golf R's for sale on the dealer floors. Dermot had 5 up on this site last week even!)

not sure if it has changed but a week or two ago i did some researching and they would not sell them? understandable i guess.

i am not buying one but i also think 10-12 months is way too long, may as well spend 6 months saving and buy a golf GTI?
or seriously consider offerings from other brands? i think it would be annoying if you were coming off lease etc and timing was important.

VW Convert
01-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Personally, I think waiting 10 months for a car is a joke!

Well you are in control of the situation are you not? If waiting 10 months doesn't suit, you should consider cancelling and buying something else.

I can order a Ferrari and have a sooner delivery time!

I doubt this is true except for any Ferrari floor stock that might be around, but most likely the same goes for the Polo GTI, there is probably floor stock around that could be delivered much sooner.

I would think that many other manufacturers are envious that VW have done such a good job with the Polo GTI that VW can't build them as quickly as they can sell them.

aljobar
02-02-2011, 10:14 AM
I just got off the phone to the dealer who is selling me my GTI. It will arrive in August, but I have bad news for those who haven't ordered yet. As has been made abundantly clear, the allocations for Australia have sold out, and anyone who places an order now is looking at a delivery time of late 2012. The person I spoke to had 3 contracts cancelled yesterday and has stopped taking orders. In short, if you haven't signed the contract, don't even think about it (just in case you were anyway)

Corey_R
02-02-2011, 10:37 AM
The allocations for Australia have sold out

Correct. They sold out sometime in January. So unfortunately some of the people who have already ordered may also miss out. HOWEVER, since other people will cancel even based on the news of an August wait, hopefully those that already ordered and are willing to wait will end up with an allocation this year.

I posted this yesterday, so I thought I'd make it blue this time to draw attention.
It's been confirmed by multiple customers and dealers.

pologti18t
02-02-2011, 10:47 AM
I just got off the phone to the dealer who is selling me my GTI. It will arrive in August, but I have bad news for those who haven't ordered yet. The allocations for Australia have sold out, and anyone who places an order now is looking at a delivery time of late 2012. The person I spoke to had 3 contracts cancelled yesterday and has stopped taking orders. In short, if you haven't signed the contract, don't even think about it (just in case you were anyway)

Late 2012? Oh please stop it. No company can say that. They may as well not have bothered releasing it if people have to wait 2 yrs for one. It's a bloody $27K shopping trolley!

pologti18t
02-02-2011, 10:49 AM
Correct. They sold out sometime in January. So unfortunately some of the people who have already ordered may also miss out. HOWEVER, since other people will cancel even based on the news of an August wait, hopefully those that already ordered and are willing to wait will end up with an allocation this year.

So what happens with the cancelled orders? Do the production slots for these cars dissappear? Do the cars get built to that spec which no other buyer may want? Or does VW change these slots back to base spec in the hope of being able to shift them easily?

Corey_R
02-02-2011, 10:55 AM
Well, the dealers are all calling their customers. So in the example of aljobar above, where the dealer MAY have been calling aljobar today to say "sorry, you've missed out on this years allocations", since the dealer had 3 cancelled orders yesterday, the dealer told aljobar that he has a delivery this year. I obviously don't know if that was the case in this SPECIFIC situation of aljobar or not. But that is an example of what is happening currently.

Not that we're talking about production slot allocation at this point, not locking in the specifications of the orders.

aljobar
02-02-2011, 10:56 AM
I wasn't told explicitly, but from what the guy was saying the first option is to "sell the contract" for want of a better term. I.e sell exactly the same car to a different person

nugget1312
02-02-2011, 11:11 AM
Just got off the phone to the salesman who sold me my GTI. He was unable to confirm if I will get mine this year as they just don't know. I am number 9 on the list for that dealership so I am not holding my breath. The decision now is do I shell out the extra bucks for a Golf GTI or wait for what could be over 12 months. Does anyone know what the total allocation of GTI's for this year to Australia was?

Corey_R
02-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Hey nugget1312. From my understanding of the situation, the dealers now do know their allocations for 2011. Thus, if you're getting a response of "I dont know, but you're number 9 on the list", I would interpret that as "Since you're 9th on the list and we're not getting that many cars, you've missed out a 2011 allocation atm. I just don't know how to break the bad news and don't want to upset you since I just had the last 3 people cry on the phone. So I'm delaying, and with any luck, a few others in places 1 to 8 will cancel your order so I will be able to call you back later and confirm that you're included in 2011 and save you the heart ache".

nugget1312
02-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Thanks Corey. Its sounding that way. I guess I should resign myself to not seeing it this year then.

gavs
02-02-2011, 12:07 PM
Squeaky wheel syndrome... Hopefully "their" cars arrive with missing options - lol

Look, I know people will probably feel this way about myself and GTI Joe for trying to help everyone, but I really don't appreciate comments like this. My car was in the system 3 weeks before I even walked into the dealership. Most of my liasing has been with the dealership and I only sent 2 emails, one to Martin Winterkorn (which I got a reply to) and one to customer service in VWA (who never replied). The reply came from VGA HO AFTER I had been contacted by my dealership.

So to all of you who are bitter about me trying to help ALL OF YOU:

Don't expect my help any further, you can all go and wait for cars to come up while being told lie after lie from VWA about BS arrival and build dates. Meanwhile, I will be enjoying the car that the dealership had ordered long before I even considered buying a new car (if indeed, that information about build slots was the truth!).

GTI Joe, thank you for all of your help on this and any others who have positively contributed. Corey, please close this thread.

Corey_R
02-02-2011, 12:42 PM
GTI Joe, thank you for all of your help on this and any others who have positively contributed. Corey, please close this thread.

Ok. I thought I would just quote two of my posts before closing this, so that those who are also affected by this can easily find the information.

Hey guys.

I thought I'd pop in and share some of my experience.

I ordered a Golf R on the day it was released in Australia (June 12, last year). I then received it exactly 6 months and 1 day later (December 13th).

From day one the (very honest) sales guy explained to me that the "ETA" would be 6 months, but that this ETA is only based on their experience from recent orders of similar cars from the factory that my car would be coming from. i.e. they've ordered plenty of Golf GTI's over the past year and they guess how long it will take based on that. No body, not any dealer, not VGA, not even VW HQ can tell you when your car will arrive until a production slot is allocated. Even then, they can only give you an estimate as Volkswagen does not control the shipping companies, the shipping ports, the compliance companies, customs, quarantine, or the weather (yes, the weather can cause details).

The other thing is that it took almost 2 months before a production slot was allocated for my order.

Neither the 2 month wait for a production slot, nor the 6 month wait for the delivery was "news" or unexpected for me. I've been around these forums (as a silent observer for a year or so before joining up) for a few years, and so it was all expected.

The other point is that orders are not processed strictly on a first come first served basis. Whilst generally that is the case, think about the practicality. Car production is based on a "just in time" delivery of parts (i.e. parts come in as needed, there is not a big warehouse full of a months supply of parts next to the factory). So if you ordered a DSG Polo, and 3 weeks later someone ordered a Manual Polo, but then there is a shortage of DSG's, the manual orders well get brought forward to keep the production at full capacity. So you may end up receiving your car 3 weeks after that manual person (6 week longer wait). This exact situation happened with the Golf R last year.

If there wasn't a production problem?
4 months would be the "average" minimum wait for a car coming from Germany, even if production capacity was sufficient.. Yes, I know that the Polo GTI isn't made in Germany, but they appear to be put on a train and loaded to ship from Bremerhaven. The 4 months wait would be a few weeks for allocation, a few weeks for production, ~2 months for transport (this can vary by weeks depending on route and weather), and ~3 weeks for compliance/dealer delivery etc.

It's not an Australian problem. There is more than one problem as well.
The problem that Volkswagen have is that the world-wide demand is just out stripping production capacity. This is not an Australia only problem. Even the suppliers are having issues, which is why the Wolfsburg factory is being shut for a day etc. It's also why Volkswagen are investing 50 billion Euro with the majority going to expansion of production in Germany.

Whilst I understand peoples frustration, there is going to be much more pain involved before things get any better. As you can imagine, it's very difficult to spend 50 billion euro (~$70 billion Australia) in a day. Hell, it's it's only going to take $5 billion to rebuild QLD. That should put into perspective the scale of what needs to occur here.

What is an Australian specific problem (I think) is that some dealers are out-right lying to customers to make sales or "steal" sales from other dealers by putting "ETAs" on contracts which they know cannot be met. This isn't a new thing, but it's just made even worse by the current situation.

You have a choice, but you don't really!
In the end, what it comes down to is that the Volkswagen product right now is great. As you guys have said in your posts above, we all have a choice to go and purchase something else, but we won't, because nothing else is as good! It's not like we're some elite group of people here - many many people are realising this same fact too, and the problem is just getting worse.

My final words are this.
Get off this site for 6 months and come back later!
Don't take that the wrong way. It's for your benefit not mine!
It's the same advice that I gave all the "original Golf R crew", and they all ignored me then too! But seriously, when you're all sitting here discussing this topic for which there is no solution, you're just making yourselves and each other unhappy. The internet is terrible for that aspect. Too much information is bad. Ignorance is bliss! So get off the internet, go get another hobby for 6 months, and then come back to track your car's progress on the boat to Australia and start discussing the topics like "what accessories" you're going to buy and mods your going to do and roads your going to drive then!

All the Golf R crew who have received their cars have now put the 6 month wait into the very depths of their minds and have forgotten about it due to how awesome their cars are, and I'm sure it'll be the same for all you guys - but your could save yourself some agony anyway.

You'll be much happier if you take that advice.... but I doubt anyone will :D

The allocations for Australia have sold out

I posted this yesterday, so I thought I'd make it blue this time to draw attention.
It's been confirmed by multiple customers and dealers.