PDA

View Full Version : 2500rpm rev limit for a TDI?

BlackSuperb
15-01-2011, 04:46 PM
I reved the engine with it in park and the max revs I could get was 2500rpm. Cool. Rev limited so idiots like me can't rev the crap out of it with no load on.

bobski
15-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Pretty common these days I think. I think the TSI DSG is around 3500rpm. Edit: it is 3900...

CanberravRS
15-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Until its under load you won't get full turbo boost, hence not revving high

Sent from my Windows 7 Phone using Board Express

pwcar
31-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Until its under load you won't get full turbo boost, hence not revving high

Does that really make any sense?
I'm sure the presence or non-presence of a turbocharger does not affect the ability of an engine to rev out of gear.
The limit must surely be an electronic one applied by the engime management computer.

K1W1
31-01-2011, 12:35 PM
The limit must surely be an electronic one applied by the engime management computer.

That makes sense to me. It could be some bureaucrats idea of a safety feature as well now that we all need to be continually protected from ourselves.

CanberravRS
31-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Majority of ECU's Petrol or Diesel have load settings, and in many cases you will never create the large amounts of exhaust gases needed to develop torque creating boost levels until you have some load which increases the duty cycle or length the injector is open.. Its why you put cars on Dyno's which mimicked the road, so that you create some load, allowing the increased fuel air mixtures with appropriate timing advances if needed.
ECU's these days generally prevent load boost when stationary, generally from what i have seen on the dyno over the last 4 cars i have owned, revving the car without load is a pretty lean affair and your hardly creating any boost.

That being said, cant say i've never examined a diesel map, but its likely that its much the same, minus spark.

Added to that, the comment that K1W1 just made is something that is highly likely, we do live in a nanny state.

blutopless2
01-02-2011, 08:30 AM
on my jetta when it is in park there is a light that comes up on the dash (looks like a foot positioned above a pedal). This is supposed to rev limit the engine to about 2500rpm whilst it is in Park.