PDA

View Full Version : The Demand > Supply Challenge

Car25
14-01-2011, 12:30 PM
It's Friday afternoon and I feel like stirring things up a bit.

There seem to be a few threads where people have had bad experiences.

A lot of this relates to the simple fact that the demand for the Polo is greater than the supply.

Dealers can treat you badly and feel they can get away with it.

In Negotiation Skills 101, there's a concept called BATNA which is the Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement.

Too many of us walk into a dealer knowing just what we want and not having a fall back option.

If a dealer treats you badly or you're told that the wait time is 6 months, what car would you consider buying INSTEAD of the Polo?

JaneAusten
14-01-2011, 01:07 PM
May as well wait for the new Ford Fiesta ST that should be coming out mid year, it'll be heaps cheaper and with the mid year release still beat the Nov/Dec ETA on the GTI. Otherwise for a tiny bit more than the GTI you can get much more car with the XR5 turbo on its way out, great engine, bigger car and a stick shift.

IMO.

I say that but I already have a GTI lined up for end of this month, providing it's not under water because of the floods...

OilBurna
14-01-2011, 02:56 PM
2nd hand Mark 6 GTi?

pologti18t
14-01-2011, 03:08 PM
May as well wait for the new Ford Fiesta ST that should be coming out mid year, it'll be heaps cheaper and with the mid year release still beat the Nov/Dec ETA on the GTI. Otherwise for a tiny bit more than the GTI you can get much more car with the XR5 turbo on its way out, great engine, bigger car and a stick shift.

IMO.

I say that but I already have a GTI lined up for end of this month, providing it's not under water because of the floods...

"Heaps cheaper"... why do you say that? There is no indication it will be cheaper than a Polo GTI.

gavs
14-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Only thing I would consider over my Polo GTI in the VAG stable would be the Scirroco, can't justify 10k extra for a golf that's as fast as the polo and thirstier.

Outside VAG, would have to be the king of hatches, the Renault SPort RS250 Cup Trophee!! But that's pretty much $55k on the road compared to $35k!

Car25
14-01-2011, 03:58 PM
I used to own a Cooper S...it was a great car. I'd probably buy one again but it's just a little too tight in the back seat.

JaneAusten
14-01-2011, 06:50 PM
"Heaps cheaper"... why do you say that? There is no indication it will be cheaper than a Polo GTI.

Well the XR4 was almost a good 2k cheaper than the Polo GTI of the last generation.

pologti18t
14-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Well the XR4 was almost a good 2k cheaper than the Polo GTI of the last generation.

But the new one is turbo etc etc

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/2011_ford_fiesta_xr4_turbo_spy_photos_14-1.jpg
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/01/2011_ford_fiesta_xr4_turbo_spy_photos_01-1.jpg

pologti18t
14-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Outside VAG, would have to be the king of hatches, the Renault SPort RS250 Cup Trophee!! But that's pretty much $55k on the road compared to $35k!

46K if you take the base model

markis
15-01-2011, 12:17 AM
i like the look of that fiesta.

themmc
15-01-2011, 12:56 PM
So, I'm a slightly different demographic here, being, older, married and having two young kids. I'm replacing my Peugeot 206 GTI (3door) with a 77TSI Comfortline to gain more doors and a bit more safety. Whilst the boy racer in me still wants a GTI I can't really justify the extra $$ for it. If I was less patient and wanted a car quickly and for similar money ($25k) I'd probably go:

- second hand Golf, maybe new one if could get a good deal.
- new Mazda3
- new Peugeot 207 Sportium or Peugeot 308 (depending on the deal)

But, really REALLY want my 77TSI NOW NOW NOW NOW. Waiting is killing me.

Hail22
15-01-2011, 01:31 PM
So, I'm a slightly different demographic here, being, older, married and having two young kids. I'm replacing my Peugeot 206 GTI (3door) with a 77TSI Comfortline to gain more doors and a bit more safety. Whilst the boy racer in me still wants a GTI I can't really justify the extra $$ for it. If I was less patient and wanted a car quickly and for similar money ($25k) I'd probably go:

- second hand Golf, maybe new one if could get a good deal.
- new Mazda3
- new Peugeot 207 Sportium or Peugeot 308 (depending on the deal)

But, really REALLY want my 77TSI NOW NOW NOW NOW. Waiting is killing me.

Besides mate, give it just a bit of time get an APR Chip for $2.5k.

Today there is an increase in Safety Cameras, Mobile Speed Cameras, Highway Patrols we are an official nanny state and we all know personally with power comes lead foot in some people :P

Saw the new Clio the ther day and a PoG the clio...doesn't have a soul whereas the PoG had a tune (don't know the model but it was def the sports as it had twin exhaust front air dams, and air splitters behind the front wheels)

Brian916
15-01-2011, 05:54 PM
My turn! Woo.

Well, if I decided I didn't want to wait 4.5 mths for the GTi, I'd probably buy a Golf 118TSI with comfort and sports pack. Test drove one and it was just fantastic. Other option is to say bugger the Polo and just get a comfort pack on Golf GTi in manual...

But.. I loved the test drive in the polo with the flappy paddles (Thanks Mr Clarkson for such a descriptor). The coasting to the lights and 'flapping' down was just so much fun every time I did it - the engine revving to be at the correct speed for the lower gear made me grin and reminded me of riding the bike but without quite so much fun!

Not much else I'd like except the other VAG product that isn't available here - the Veyron. (I'm accepting donations to the 'get me to Europe with enough money for one' fund)

leasaunce
15-01-2011, 07:57 PM
i'm happy to wait, as long as they do their job properly. rushing the job would stuff up everything.

Car25
08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
I am an Apple tragic but a waning Volkswagen fan.

The difference between the two companies?

Apple has great product combined with a fantastic customer experience...seamless.

Volkswagen has terrific product but a woeful customer experience...the opposite of seamless.

Recently took delivery of a Polo:

I was not too fussy on colour so didn't have a particularly long wait but there are a huge number of disgruntled people out there who have been told they have to wait for some months and even then without a guaranteed delivery date. This is poor logistics management and messaging. Too much buck-passing and misinformation, between Volkswagen Australia, Volkswagen Head Office and individual dealers.

The Demand exceeds Supply challenge means that dealers can and do treat potential customers with disdain. They simply don't care. This was certainly my experience.

Huge mismatch between Options prices in Australia and those offshore...way beyond those explainable by taxes and shipping costs.

Daylight driving lights? Who thought Australians would want these? Is Big Brother dictating that these should be mandatory for all?

Bluetooth? I would have thought that this should be standard in this day and age. Why can't Volkswagen provide a simple integrated solution. The alternatives on offer through the dealer were either 'tacky' or outrageously expensive...and in addition were presented in a convoluted confusing way. When I opted for the after-market route, I was abused by the Service Manager at the dealer. The overall experience the antithesis of my dealings with Apple where I simply get a 'solution' with no fuss or bother..

In summary, good product without a positive customer experience = unlikely to recommend Volkswagen to others.