PDA

View Full Version : How big the new polo compared to the mkv golf?

POW
12-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Hi guys
I'm looking to get a polo gti but not sure how spacious inside compare to the mkv golf?I don't expect it will be the same but may be just a bit smaller.what do you guys think?

Hoofee
12-01-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm not sure about the MkV golf, but I just test drove both the new Polo and new Golf. I ended up just buying the Polo because although the interior of the Golf is bigger we found that the Polo was just fine too and couldn't justify the additional cost. It's only a bit smaller and I know this may sound strange but for a small car it seemed quite large inside - maybe it was the build quality (over other brands) that made it feel more like a real car than a plastic bucket. We found that if the seats were in our normal driving position then there was still ample leg room for people in the back.

Neither my wife or I are tall or large people but if you fit that category then you might want to double-check them.

pologti18t
12-01-2011, 03:25 PM
It's noticeably small inside (width especially) than a Mk V Golf

Corey_R
12-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Hi guys
I'm looking to get a polo gti but not sure how spacious inside compare to the mkv golf?I don't expect it will be the same but may be just a bit smaller.what do you guys think?

The MK6 and MKV Golf are the same size. So they're both bigger than the new Polo - otherwise there would be no need for the Polo ;)

The new Polo is however about the same size as the Golf MKIV. I don't know this first hand, but it's what I've read in numerous reviews and articles on the webs.

gavs
12-01-2011, 03:44 PM
New polo is basically identical to my Mk4 golf inside, rear seat legroom is on par (if not better from the backrests being slightly more scalloped), front room is identical, the centre arm rest even looks identical!!

The only difference internally is the boot space, but once you lift the hatch to reveal the second lower part of the boot, it's not that much smaller, even with the battery mounted back there.

I really do laugh when people say that the polo is "too small, go buy a golf", especially seeing it's the same size as a 6yr old golf! :)

POW
12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure about the MkV golf, but I just test drove both the new Polo and new Golf. I ended up just buying the Polo because although the interior of the Golf is bigger we found that the Polo was just fine too and couldn't justify the additional cost. It's only a bit smaller and I know this may sound strange but for a small car it seemed quite large inside - maybe it was the build quality (over other brands) that made it feel more like a real car than a plastic bucket. We found that if the seats were in our normal driving position then there was still ample leg room for people in the back.

Neither my wife or I are tall or large people but if you fit that category then you might want to double-check them.

thanks for the info from all of you guys, so just wondering how much you paid for your polo and did you consider the GTI before you pick the sportpack?
thanks

Hail22
12-01-2011, 09:27 PM
We have a thread about how much everyone paid with what options TSI, Diesel and GTI Variants.

Hoofee
12-01-2011, 09:54 PM
Yeah there's a thread with lots of prices, best to check it out and make notes. Essentially what I did was I went through every post on that thread and made a list of what each person paid and what they got for it, that way I knew approximately what was possible. I used this for leverage when I was deal making and it probably saved me ~$1k. They started off at ~$27,100 with the Corporate Plus discount already taken out but loaded with the info from my research I was able to get that down to $26,000 (which is now $26,540 due to getting an Audio Pack so I can speed up my delivery - there was one already in the system).

I didn't go a GTi is because I didn't need it, my other car is a MY05 Subaru STi with only 44k on the clock. I also figured that I have the Polo with Sports Pack, Comfort Pack, Audio Pack and to get that with the GTi was probably over $5k more which I couldn't justify when I already have an STi. Another $5k beyond the price of a GTi and I could get a 117TSi Golf with similar packages to my Polo. I really just got my Polo for a runner to and from work (or my wife to or from work.. we haven't decided on who is going to drive it).

And what the hell is with the pattern on the GTi's seats? If I was Scottish I might be alright with it, or is there some historical reason for that?

gavs
13-01-2011, 07:17 AM
And what the hell is with the pattern on the GTi's seats? If I was Scottish I might be alright with it, or is there some historical reason for that?

Oooh, you might just start a **** storm mate! ;)

The "Jacky" interior trim id harking back to the very 1st MkI Golf GTI which came with the tartan seats, as did MkII I believe. When VW resurrected the GTI badge on the MkIV, it was seen as a disgrass to the GTi badge as it didn't show true GTi spirit.

As part of the "re-invigoration" of the MkV GTi, they used the "tarten-esque" trim on the seats as part of the whole "It is a real GTi" marketing speil, hence it has been carried over to all subsequent GTi models.

Hoofee
13-01-2011, 10:48 AM
lol, I don't mean to offend anyone but I think they're quite unattractive, I was expecting something much nicer when I looked in the window. Within seconds my first comment to my wife was "WTF is with the seats!". First impressions count and my wife was turned off too.

I'm sure all the guys with tartan shirts and pants will come out of the woodwork now. Lucky I didn't start a new thread on this topic or I might have been put in the naughty corner. :)

Hail22
13-01-2011, 11:29 AM
The 77TSI standard seats would do the GTI more justice than the Jacky.

gavs
13-01-2011, 03:20 PM
I'm sure all the guys with tartan shirts and pants will come out of the woodwork now. Lucky I didn't start a new thread on this topic or I might have been put in the naughty corner.

Ha ha, they will beat you with their golf clubs and canes!! :):) I like it, it's not quite tartan but it's one on the nicer retro stylings of late (2 door commodore, sorry, Camaro anyone;) )