PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Superb V6 Wagon Review

CanberravRS
10-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Found this Superb Review by 5TH Gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCXFSkfyGPM&feature=related

CanberravRS
12-01-2011, 09:26 AM
Well I've just clicked over 5000klms in the Superb, and would have to say it’s been a pleasure to do so. Over the summer months I usually do a lot of cycling events, kayaking, fishing, camping etc. But due to the ongoing horrid weather I have been limited to simply enjoying a drive and the scenery.
The Superb in the configuration I ordered in 05/10 and received in 11/10 has been an interesting experience to change to. But ill elaborate on that later.
Originally I ordered the full house, every option available. But after some viewing of certain options on other models, I dropped items not needed or annoying ones such as the panoramic roof, where i would always need to wear a cap/hat to block the glare driving during the day.
So what did I end up with?

Well it’s a wagon with more capabilities than pretty much any other car in its class on the road at the moment.
So in saying that I will break it down a little for those who are considering a Superb!

Interior:
This is one hell of a nice way to start any trip, from the moment you take a seat (doesnt matter which seat) you find that there is no cramped spots, in the back your feet dont get crushed by the driver/passenger moving either of the front seats as they are 1-2 feet away. The rear head rests are easily raised for taller people, who speaking of will have no troubles with leg room or head room.
Rear passenger comfort is simply amazing with masses of room, unless you’re really wide, where the seating width will prevent 3 burly blokes across the back. But ok I don't see this as an issue as the Superb is a luxury car and is set up for 2 full sized adults with their drinks etc being transported in tremendous safety and comfort.
Up front, well that’s where I can attest to the appointments level of the Superb. From the Multi Function Steering wheel through to the simple and elegant dash design, the driver is spoiled with simple and understandable dash buttons and switches. Unlike many modern cars that have 500 tiny buttons to do everything, the Superb has less buttons and switches, simple menu options to achieve access to more complicated settings etc.
The drivers position is centered perfectly with the wheel and pedals, the visibility for the driver is very good, due to the seemingly limitless adjustability of the seats/steering position.

Storage:
Each seat has a cup holder and bucket like area in the door for junk to collect in. The glovebox is a substantial one and there is centre console bucket as well. The only thing I can complain about is the annoying cup holders for the front, a standard water bottle wont fit, and well the area ended up being a wallet/phone holder. The 1Z vRS had great door holders for full size sports drinks bottles which I miss.
Ok, now down to the real storage capability, the boot is ENORMOUS!!! , with its tie down sliders, partitioning systems making smaller loads safe. If you lift the rear seat sqabs and roll them forward you can then lay the rear seats nearly 100% flat. In a previous post I have shown that a full 1.9 meter book case can fit in the back easily. The rear storage area is square with flat sides, easy to keep clean and then you find two large storage areas in behind flat doors. Now in the V6 the Left hand side has your Battery, so that’s pretty much a no go zone, but the Diesels have that space free for use and it’s a great spot for a picnic rug or stuff like that. On the right hand side there is another big storage area where you can fit a fire extinguisher/triangles/first aid kit etc.

Exterior:
From the day I saw the first pics of the Combi/Wagon, I decided to find out more, which eventually made me place and order. The exterior of the car is solid, like other Skoda’s the panels are thicker than Asian and Australian manufactures use, which means they hold up to a little bump in the car park exceedingly well. Added to this the overall design is functional and unique. Large wing mirrors with bi focal mirrors allow for a massive field of vision allowing you to see with ease into what is normally a blind spot.
Headlights, well the V6 comes standard with the Bi-xenon headlights with Adaptive Frontlight System (AFS) which I have to say means you don’t get left in the dark. The lighting for both low and high beams are wonderful. And the cornering lighting has made those early morning drives down the Clyde Mountain to the coast much safer.
The tailgate provides you access to such a cavern of space, adding to that is the fact that the tailgate is not heavy, has the auto close option and a low bumper line allowing easy lifts into the wagon space.

Road Presence:
My wagon with its colour/stance/wheels seems to attract a lot of gawks, people looking at it all the time trying to work out what it is. Those who have pulled me up in carparks and asked about the car have all been seriously impressed and it seems that the Superb’s name is growing.
Most VW drivers seem to look heavily at the car, and you get waves from a few of them too.

Driving and Performance:
This is an area where the Superb covers many areas, In the basic diesel models I tested the ride was compliant and direct, smooth but a little vague in the steering for my likings. Where the V6 seems to be more planted/surefooted and the rack seems a little faster.
The 4x4 Haldex system in the Superb V6 is super fast and not once has my car flashed the traction control light yet. “ I have pushed it to find out its boundaries” and well the combination of tyre/suspension/drive system and weight make the V6 a very solid and confidence inspiring drive.
Acceleration is something that the V6 has no lack of. I don’t believe the 191kw figure posted by Skoda, as the Superb in some tests done with 2 mates with R36’s has nearly line ball matched them in a straight line. ( only difference I can see is the DSG shift points and redline )
Brakes are phenomenal, on the V6 they fill the 18’ wheels on the front and the back are the size of the diesels front brakes. They are the same as the R36 and have the power to pull this wagon to a stop in a distance less than that of my previous vRS.
DSG, well this is the only area I’m not that impressed. It could simply be that the program used for the Superb V6 is designed more for Auto mode than the paddles, but it feels slow on the downshift and you need to plan a few fractions earlier than you may have with a manual. The only other bug is probably with the MFS wheel and the fact that if your going around an round a bout and want to kick down manually the downshifter is on the opposite side of the wheel and having the paddles follow the wheel is a DAFT idea for someone who likes to really drive a car.
In saying that though this vehicle was never designed to be a sports car, it’s a luxury wagon with some stonking performance and traction.

Economy:
Well I’ll keep this light as the figures aren’t flash compared with its diesel variants. Around town im averaging 480-520klms to my 60lts and 650-700 on the highway. But in saying that the V6 is much heavier due to its 4x4 driveline/brakes/suspension. Based on the fact it has the same driveline as the R36 its consumption is lower than a few mates who run them..

Towing:
I’ve recently had the pleasure of towing a skiboat to the coast and back as a mates XR6 Turbo (blew its turbo) and the Superb by all accounts of the XR6 turbo owner towed in a more stable fashion and with ease. It certainly didn’t have any issues at all and even of a wet slippery boat ramp which the XR would have been incapable.

Over all:
Well other than some minor frustration with DSG I find the Superb V6 Wagon to be the most impressive vehicle that I have owned.
I cannot praise it highly enough and think that anyone looking for a large family wagon or luxury wagon should consider it.

:cool:

theduckster
14-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Great review CanberravRS!

What fuel are you using in your Superb?

I would be interested to know whether you are using the 98 octane or the 95 octane fuel, just as I plan to use 98 octane in mine and wondering whether I can expect the same economy as you have stated.

CanberravRS
14-03-2011, 07:01 PM
98 is recommended and I have only ever used 1/2 tank of 95 due to not being able to get 98. I have no intention of running on 95 and my lease is structured for the cost of 98

And ill be due for my 10k update soon too.. well in a month or two.

theduckster
14-03-2011, 07:21 PM
Thank you for the info.

It will be interesting to see whether there will be any difference in fuel economy between the sedan/saloon and the wagon. I just can't wait to get my Superb and try out all the things you have mentioned. The list of things to try out is getting that long I don't know where to beginning. Maybe taking delivery of the car would be a good place to start lol. August is still a long long way off. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/akgif-1.jpg

CanberravRS
14-03-2011, 07:31 PM
Well yours will be 100kg lighter.. so it should be some fraction different, and a spot quicker.

theduckster
18-03-2011, 08:25 PM
I got my hands on a brochure published in Feb 2009 and one published in May 2010 for the Superb. The one from 2009 states that the recommended fuel is 98 RON and the one from 2010 states that the recommend fuel is 95 RON. I'm sure it looks better if the recommend fuel is only 95 RON and not 98 RON lol. I have ran my Subaru on nothing but 98 RON so I don't have a problem in making sure its 98 RON only for my Superb!

After checking out all your photos I have decided that I will get a set of Luxon's for my Superb as well! 9 spokes has got to be better then 7. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/whistlinggif-1.jpg

Jake02
18-03-2011, 08:59 PM
After checking out all your photos I have decided that I will get a set of Luxon's for my Superb as well! 9 spokes has got to be better then 7. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/whistlinggif-1.jpg

I personally prefer the Themistos (double-7) to the Luxons (double-9) despite being very similar in appearance, but I'd really like to see the Lunas (the big six-spoked ones) in the flesh - IMO, they give the Superb the most modern look.

CanberravRS
18-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Lucky we arent all your age Jake! LOL

Jake02
18-03-2011, 10:12 PM
Lucky we arent all your age Jake! LOL

So lucky indeed, and geeze, as a drawer the Lunas appeal more to me to I apologise profusely for not liking the Luxons :P.

theduckster
19-03-2011, 02:16 PM
So lucky indeed, and geeze, as a drawer the Lunas appeal more to me to I apologise profusely for not liking the Luxons :P.

The Lunas just look weird to me in the brochure. Plus I was quoted more for a set than the Luxons lol.

spaz74
19-03-2011, 03:12 PM
I looked at the luxons as well but got no support from the dealer other than to offer them to me at full price. But I am starting to think, purely for cleaning purposes, I am happy with the thermistos. As for the Lunas, I too am sorry, I really think they look ugly :monkeypiss:. They take the car from having a little bit of edge about it to being a grandpa's car real quick.

Jake02
19-03-2011, 04:12 PM
They take the car from having a little bit of edge about it to being a grandpa's car real quick.

Ironically that's what I think of the Luxons - definitely each to their own I guess.

theduckster
19-03-2011, 04:59 PM
We should be happy that Skoda at least offer a few different options in regards to wheels. Some that we like and others we can hate. I suppose there would plenty of aftermarket wheels that would be suitable as well, though I haven't taken the time to actually take a look.

In the end I will to get my Superb with the Thermisto's and have the option of getting a set of Luxon's from the dealer later on at a good agreed price. The Luna's might look better in black I'm thinking.

CanberravRS
19-03-2011, 07:01 PM

Hehehehe.. Wheels are definitely personal

theduckster
20-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Which wheels do you have on your Octavia RS, Jake02?

Jake02
20-03-2011, 08:09 PM
Which wheels do you have on your Octavia RS, Jake02?

The standard 18-inch Zenith wheels (you don't get options like you do on the Superb). They're a bitch to clean but they look okay.

CanberravRS
21-03-2011, 04:17 PM
The standard 18-inch Zenith wheels (you don't get options like you do on the Superb). They're a bitch to clean but they look okay.

Totally agree.. mind you the Luxons are just as hard to clean, but at least there are no dual layer areas like the Zeniths had.. Mind you its impossible to keep the car clean, if its not raining its bug central.

wfdTamar
27-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Economy:
...Around town im averaging 480-520klms to my 60lts and 650-700 on the highway. .....

So I'm working out your consumption as 11.5-12.5 litres/100 in town and 8.5-9.2 on the highway. Do you reckon that's right?

I'm considering a Skoda as the only new car I'll ever own (and want to get 20-30 years from it) and should get a 1.8 Octavia, but I'd like AWD so maybe a Scout. However I find a few things the Superb has over the Octavia quite attractive, like the better boot structure (the Octavia floor seems quite flimsy) plus extra goodies.

After the warranty period is over I'll be doing all my own servicing and work on the car and I'm wondering how much more squashed in the V6 is compared to the 4 cylinder engines?

Any idea if the service costs are higher for this engine? Does the Superb overall have higher service costs merely because it's the luxury (more expensive) car in the range?

A real shame you can't get AWD as an option on some of the lower down cars (like some early Octavia's). The diesel Superb would be good with it.

theduckster
27-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Engine room would be at a premium considering I have seen a photo of CanberravRS with the battery in the back and not in the engine bay. The picture below should give an idea how much room is actually in the engine bay.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/2009skodasuperbengine002-1.jpg

I have been meaning to find out how much the service costs are. Tomorrow during lunch I will ring the local dealer service department and ask. I will post the response tomorrow night.

CanberravRS
28-03-2011, 04:15 PM
So I'm working out your consumption as 11.5-12.5 litres/100 in town and 8.5-9.2 on the highway. Do you reckon that's right?

I'm considering a Skoda as the only new car I'll ever own (and want to get 20-30 years from it) and should get a 1.8 Octavia, but I'd like AWD so maybe a Scout. However I find a few things the Superb has over the Octavia quite attractive, like the better boot structure (the Octavia floor seems quite flimsy) plus extra goodies.

After the warranty period is over I'll be doing all my own servicing and work on the car and I'm wondering how much more squashed in the V6 is compared to the 4 cylinder engines?

Any idea if the service costs are higher for this engine? Does the Superb overall have higher service costs merely because it's the luxury (more expensive) car in the range?

A real shame you can't get AWD as an option on some of the lower down cars (like some early Octavia's). The diesel Superb would be good with it.

If you don't get to excitable and put your foot down you can get as low as 9 around town and 7 and on the highway. As for servicing.. Its all really dependent upon your skills. Take a look yourself. It all looks straight forward to me and not having a turbo is a benefit after warranty has expired.. But 30 years.. hmmm id be looking for a Manual gearbox for that.
The quotes I had are much the same as a 2.0lt turbo in my previous Octavia.

theduckster
03-04-2011, 05:14 PM
I was quoted $280 for the minor service and $460 for a major service (brake fluid not included) which seems to be around the prices quoted in the Octavia section for the Octavia.

My Superb went into production on Monday (28/3) woohoo :banana: , was told to expect week 15-16 so week 13 is a nice bonus. Looking more like a July delivery now!

CanberravRS
03-04-2011, 08:20 PM
My Superb went into production on Monday (28/3) woohoo :banana: , was told to expect week 15-16 so week 13 is a nice bonus. Looking more like a July delivery now!

Excellent news mate... Looking forward to seeing it. Ill be writing up my 10k review soon too..

theduckster
09-04-2011, 12:59 PM
Thanks CanberravRS

I'm trying not to get too excited. July/August just still seems to be long way off! I'm looking forward to your 10K review. Hopefully its nothing but good news and heaps of praise for what an awesome vehicle you choose to drive. I'm sure there will be downsides to it but I will happy to hear it's not many.

Parkesy
14-04-2011, 04:50 PM
Hi All,
Great to see some enthuiastic Skoda owners here!
Quite excited myself now as I ordered my Superb V6 Wagon back on 23rd March with an expected delivery of late July / early August (I hope). Haven't been given a build date as yet, but expecting it to be soon.
Full specs are:
MY11 Superb Elegance Wagon Amethyst Purple, Dark Trim, Kessy, Panoramic Sunroof, MDI Interface, False Floor, Power Tailgate, Bluetooth, 3 spoke steering wheel, Sports Suspension, Privacy Glass.

theduckster
14-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Congratulations on your purchase Parkesy!

I saw a Purple Superb Wagon a couple of weeks and the guy got Purple as he thought no one else would get Purple lol. The one was a 125 TDI and not a V6. Yours might be on the same ship as mine. I have an expected port eta of June 23 which would imply a similar delivery time frame as yours. Your build date should be soon if it hasn't already been started as the boat is leaving late April I have been told.

Parkesy
19-04-2011, 11:08 PM
Thanks Duckster,
The colour wasn't a huge priority, but it looked quite good on the brochure.:P

The dealer indicated a May production date when I put my deposit down, but haven't had confirmation yet. So could be on the ship after yours. Could be an August delivery then. So far away!!!!

General question to the forum then. How long after you placed your order did you receive your production date?

Likewise looking forward to CanberravRS 10K review.

jbviajero
20-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Thanks for posting the 5th gear review, really enjoyed it.
And also the early impressions review. I'd love a superb. I think they are the only car where I'd actually be interested in taking a back seat. I've had the experience once - it is fantastic back there.
Happy driving those with superbs and those waiting delivery.

jbviajero
20-04-2011, 01:19 PM
***oops*** Some how made two entries, very sorry.

theduckster
20-04-2011, 06:05 PM
Thanks Duckster,

The dealer indicated a May production date when I put my deposit down, but haven't had confirmation yet. So could be on the ship after yours. Could be an August delivery then. So far away!!!!

General question to the forum then. How long after you placed your order did you receive your production date?

At the moment the lead times for Superbs is 6-8 weeks. At most you should have a production date within two months of ordering your vehicle. The wagons at the moment tend to have a greater lead time than the sedans. I have a friend ordering a Silver 118 Octavia and the earliest production date she can get is August. My baby is built and is about to get loaded onto the ship!

spaz74
22-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Thanks Duckster,

I thought the same about the brochure and ordered purple. When one arrived at the dealers I went and looked on a typical Melbourne day. In the rain I didn't like the colour at all, whilst overcast it was ok and in the sun it looked really good. I changed my order because the degree of colour change was too great for my liking.