PDA

View Full Version : Superb MDI - iPod Cable

rapidattack
11-01-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey,

Does the MDI iPod interface/cable come standard on an Elegance Wagon?

Thanks

Rapid

SKODA vRS147
11-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Just checked the brochure on the website and it states that it is an optional extra for the elegance.

rapidattack
11-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Bummer!

Thanks

monkeysrus
11-01-2011, 08:02 PM
ebay one

VW MDI IPOD CABLE SCIROCCO GOLF POLO SKODA LEAD media (eBay item 260719724866 end time 20-Jan-11 08:52:42 AEDST) : Vehicle Parts Accessories (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VW-MDI-IPOD-CABLE-SCIROCCO-GOLF-POLO-SKODA-LEAD-media-/260719724866?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb41b4942)

Inego
12-01-2011, 07:27 AM
It's a real annoyance - logic would suggest that the interface and cables be bundled so that annoyed new owners don't have to hassle to get the cables and start off their Skoda ownership on the wrong foot!!!!

dArK5HaD0w
12-01-2011, 09:06 AM
It's a real annoyance - logic would suggest that the interface and cables be bundled so that annoyed new owners don't have to hassle to get the cables and start off their Skoda ownership on the wrong foot!!!!

it is ridiculous eh!!
its like selling u a hifi system, but the speakers r optional!! WTF!?!?!

CanberravRS
12-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Not everyone owns an Ipoop. So they wont bundle unless its the most common phone on the market which it isn't.

Inego
12-01-2011, 01:14 PM
Not everyone owns an Ipoop. So they wont bundle unless its the most common phone on the market which it isn't. But they only bundle, if the dealers even tell you that there isn't a cable supplied. And at $90 to get one cable you want and two you don't need, it's BS. Or to have your new car delivered with the MDI option you specifically ordered and find that you can't connect whatever thing you have and you get angry. As I did. And then went and ordered the single cable I needed from ebay, when I prob wouldn't have questioned the price of the option, cables included, at around $320-350.

K1W1
12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
The only reason I use MDI is to charge my iPhone. As a way of connecting an iPod the 3.5mm outlet in the glove box is way better.

rapidattack
14-01-2011, 08:34 PM
OK so i picked it up today, with my MDI and ipooop cable....its cool.

Seems like they forgot to install my bluetooth (idiots!), however thats a different story.

Dont want to sound like a dope, but where or how do I jam a USB stick into this bad boy now?

K1W1
14-01-2011, 09:51 PM
Dont want to sound like a dope, but where or how do I jam a USB stick into this bad boy now?

You spend another $90 or thereabouts and buy the cable with the USB end on it rather than the iPod end. Seriously!

dArK5HaD0w
15-01-2011, 02:17 PM
OK so i picked it up today, with my MDI and ipooop cable....its cool.

mate....just get a SD card!!! why spend 90 odd bucks on a cable so u can connect it to the mdi, when an sd card will slot right in!?!?!
no need for a usb stick!
most computers/laptops come with a builtin sdcard reader. worst case, get urself an external usb sdcard reader for $20-30 bucks, and u have no excuse for being able to transfer files to/from pc/laptop and sdcard!!

in the end though, choice is urs.

K1W1
15-01-2011, 03:40 PM
mate....just get a SD card!!! why spend 90 odd bucks on a cable so u can connect it to the mdi, when an sd card will slot right in!?!?!

Yep I totally agree with that one but that wasn't the answer to the question. I use a 16GB SDHC card I brought ages ago for $40 or so.

dazag
18-01-2011, 11:16 PM
I got the MDI-USB cable off ebay in the end for $25 I think it was and a 16gb USB stick for $24 at Big W, beauty of the USB stick is it loads/responds quicker then most SD cards.

K1W1
19-01-2011, 06:10 AM
beauty of the USB stick is it loads/responds quicker then most SD cards.

Are you talking about in the Bolero or generally.
I'd be real surprised if a USB stick had a higher read/write rate than an SD card but the Boleros SD interface sucks so in the context of the sound system I could understand.

CanberravRS
19-01-2011, 07:37 AM
I'd be real surprised if a USB stick had a higher read/write rate than an SD card but the Boleros SD interface sucks so in the context of the sound system I could understand.

if you use a Class10 SD card, which are on special at the moment 32GB for $149 or 16Gb for $79 through various suppliers, they perform with little or no lag at all.
I started out using an older class 1 or 2 card that was a few years old and well it was slow and frustrating, so i tried my 16GB from my camera and woosh its a no lag situation, but its a brand new U1 UltraPro SD running up to 45MB/sec
I believe you can get Class6 SD cards that are larger up to 64GB but i guess it really depends how much music you want to carry and if you want any lag.

Most SD cards can be bought with USB converters if you dont have a SD slot on your pc/mac

K1W1
19-01-2011, 12:44 PM
if you use a Class10 SD card, which are on special at the moment 32GB for $149 or 16Gb for $79 through various suppliers, they perform with little or no lag at all.

The delay with SD cards in the Bolero is not the actual playing of the tracks but the indexing the HU does before play starts. I've got maybe 6 or 7Gb of data on a 16Gb card and it takes maybe 15-20 seconds before the music actually starts playing. Once the music starts it runs fine for hours if the car is driving for that period. From what I have read there is no real difference in the indexing time between the various class of cards (when they all have the same number of tracks). There are a couple of work arounds one in particular on Briskoda that orders the directory structure in a particular way to optimise the indexing but none are overly great.
I understand that there has been a firmware update on later model Boleros that fixes the issue but the firm apparently can't for some reason be applied to the older units which suggests either bloody mindedness on Skodas part or a hardware mod as well.

Ozsko
19-01-2011, 01:20 PM
the Boleros SD interface sucks so in the context of the sound system I could understand.

In your opinion.

K1W1
19-01-2011, 03:30 PM
Read my post above yours that is the context in which I used the words sucks. The initial indexing of SD cards on Boleros up until very recently at least has been slow and the source of widespread complaint so it's not only my opinion but also that of a great many users.
If the MDI/USB memory stick option works without the indexing issues of the SD slot then that would be a way better choice for many.

Ozsko
19-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Read my post above yours that is the context in which I used the words sucks.

Edit, my apologies I read the one above that. There is no reason to blame the ''interface" a trendy word these days. The problem is slow cards and no patience by the user. Change the card to a quicker one and there is not enough delay to worry about, it is primarily a card problem as I found out first hand. Mine takes about 5 seconds max to read and load, the first card took about 15 seconds at a guess.