PDA

View Full Version : New scirocco...would you buy a jap import?

Tigger
01-01-2011, 08:52 AM
What is the general thought about buying a Jap second hand import low kms scirocco from a private import compliance place?
Would they be as dodgy as the whole second hand skyline importer scene?

How would we check the vehicle history? Do you think VW australia would be able to scan vin numbers etc, or service history?

Bizi
01-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Sciroccos have approval for RAWS workshop ADR compliance of 'used' cars and to my knowledge workshops are bringing in NZ market cars.
TSIs are currently approved and by now Rs might also be approved.

That's the story with the two on eBay via the Sydney dealer; are you thinking of genuine private import cars which avoid the RAWS rules?
Is there a big saving that way?

The workshop at Artarmon has someone managing their RAWS approval and I've been told repeatedly that this particular workshop had done a deal with VWA for their cars to have a 2yr factory warranty.

I seriously doubt VWA would do that for grey market cars from Japan, but if the car was NZ sourced you might find it easier to get all the NZ check info. It could be better than an opaque JP history and anyway the RAWS cars are only 'used' in the sense of being sold and driven out of the dealership!
Seems Carsales just has those two cars from the RAWS attached dealer (an import dealer at Lidcombe, from memory):
VOLKSWAGEN SCIROCCO Cars For Sale - carsales.com.au - carsales.com.au (http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/results.aspx?N=1216+1246+1247+1252+1282+4294962746 +4294878208&keywords=&tsrc=allcarhome&Nne=15)

Scuderia Imports / City Performance Centre is the place at Artarmon and you might find others, too.

Is this private import car already advertised?

Corey_R
01-01-2011, 10:34 AM
The R does have ADR approval.
There was one imported and modified by Scuderia Imports - home (http://www.scuderiaimports.com/) in this years MOTOR Magazine Hot Tuner Challenge. They're at Artarmon too - so that may have been who you were talking about....

Big Yellow
01-01-2011, 11:43 AM
that car didnt have adr approval or road registered at that time. but as bizi mentioned, that may have changed now.

Tigger
01-01-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the feedback.
I kinda agree that it would be wiser and safer to buy an NZ import through the more correct channels than the grey Jap imports...
I have had dealings with the guys that do skyline imports, and some of these are just plain dodgy. Its just that the price seems a bit better than the ones via NZ.

BUT...just noticed in the paper today even that VW aust is more inclined to bringing these in directly!!....

Hail22
05-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Mate don't worry about a Jap Import This is one in New Zealand, a lot faster to get ADR approved Volkswagen Scirocco R *WAS $62800 NOW* 2010 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Volkswagen/auction-339657750.htm) THOSE WHEELS ARE SEX!!!!

58k for an R Scirocco plus add the freight to get here and charges/taxes/duties your still getting a lot of car for your buck.

Nugs
05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
That looks like an awesome car, although the black kinda hides the curves of the Sirocco which differentiates it from Golfs.