PDA

View Full Version : Polo and Bluetooth

themmc
31-12-2010, 08:01 AM
(Sorry if this is the wrong area - it's a cross over between Polo specific and the Electronic section).

Hi,
Just wanted to check the bluetooth options on the Polo. I've just ordered a 77TSI and the dealer says that there are no factory bluetooth options. Really? I want something fairly simple - just be able to answer calls on an iphone. Don't care a lot about outgoing calls. (I wish that if there aren't options VW removes mention of options in the brochure - page 31 bottom right).

If there isn't a way of getting a proper system factory fitted, then what are the options?

MMC

Kane-St-Kane
31-12-2010, 08:23 AM
The dealer must be pretty stupid..... :facepalm:

The Bluetooth is a genuine VW accessory and is dealer fitted at a cost of around $700-$800. It integrated with the MFD and steering wheel controls.

Hope this helps.

themmc
31-12-2010, 08:49 AM
The dealer must be pretty stupid..... :facepalm:

The Bluetooth is a genuine VW accessory and is dealer fitted at a cost of around $700-$800. It integrated with the MFD and steering wheel controls.

Hope this helps.

Do you know the part number? (it's the dealer at Hawthorn Kane-St-Kane - closest to me).

Guest1306
31-12-2010, 10:09 AM
Factory Fitted Option and Dealer Fitted Accessory are two completly different things in the world of Volkswagen. I suggest you speak to your sales consultant again regarding the Volkswagen Dealer Fitted Accessory Bluetooth Kit. Part Number is 1K0051473.

Allegiance
31-12-2010, 10:15 AM
Get a Pioneer aftermarket unit like I did, it features full bluetooth with phonebook function on screen. Also, it functions a hell of a lot better in other areas too.

themmc
31-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Factory Fitted Option and Dealer Fitted Accessory are two completly different things in the world of Volkswagen. I suggest you speak to your sales consultant again regarding the Volkswagen Dealer Fitted Accessory Bluetooth Kit. Part Number is 1K0051473.

Thanks - maybe that's what he meant. We did the deal for the car quickly yesterday afternoon just after COB, so we've left some of these aspects later.

EDIT: Yes, dealer called to talk about delivery times (May/June :-( ) and that's the bit they'd install. Does the simple answers calls bits which is what I want.

deepdude
01-01-2011, 12:25 AM
I have the dealer fitted basic bluetooth on my new Polo GTI - simply answers calls via the steering wheel, plus enables "BT Audio" as an AUX option with the RCD310 stereo... which is a real nice way for me to play tunes wirelessly with my iPhone.

djnelson
01-01-2011, 03:10 AM
Get a Pioneer aftermarket unit like I did, it features full bluetooth with phonebook function on screen. Also, it functions a hell of a lot better in other areas too.

Exactly i got told $700 for bluetooth but im going to the us tomoro where i can get headunit with alot more features along with bluetooth for under $500.

Sharkie
01-01-2011, 08:00 AM
Cheap Bluetooth kit

I've found and installed a basic bluetooth kit in my Tiguan.

It integrates with the steering wheel controls so you can control volume, mute and answer/hang-up the phone from the buttons on the steering wheel.

Bear in mind that it is a basic kit and does not integrate with the MFD .... but then the price is VERY good. It is easy to install - plug and play ... with provisions below ...

You need this:

Parrot CK3000 Evo Bluetooth kit - $184

Parrot Bluetooth (http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/27/6/hands-free-car-kits-for-phones/parrot-ck3000-evo-bluetooth-car-kit?manufacturer_id=5)

and:

VW2Connect for CANBUS interface - $180

Connects 2 (http://www.thecarkitcompany.com.au/index.php/products/store/details/63/6/hands-free-car-kits-for-phones/connects2-vw-to-parrot-bluetooth?manufacturer_id=6)

All up $364 + shipping .... far cheaper than anything else ....

**NB** make sure you tell them which radio you have as the RCD310 and RCD510/RNS510s (ie colour and non colour screens) use different Canbus interfaces.

There is no reason it won't work in a new Polo and for that price, you'd be stupid to pay $700+ at a dealer for the basic kit with no extra features.

themmc
01-01-2011, 09:06 AM
There is no reason it won't work in a new Polo and for that price, you'd be stupid to pay $700+ at a dealer for the basic kit with no extra features.

Dealer was talking $600 or so. With a new car it just means that the dealer has supplied the whole thing and I can point to them for ANY fault.

stucam
06-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I have the dealer fitted basic bluetooth on my new Polo GTI - simply answers calls via the steering wheel, plus enables "BT Audio" as an AUX option with the RCD310 stereo... which is a real nice way for me to play tunes wirelessly with my iPhone.

Hi, I have been desperately trying to get some clear information out of VW sales dudes for about a month concerning BT connectivity on the 2011 Polo GTI.
Are you saying that the basic BT kit will answer (but not call) calls from the steering wheel, and that the head unit will stream audio via BT, or via a jack into the AUX input?
Where do I find comprehensive information about this? And what is that dealer unit they are offering that sits above the air vent?

Anyones help would be much appreciated. Cheers.

gvas
06-01-2011, 07:27 PM
I had a Fiscon bluetooth unit installed in my Polo a few weeks ago. It integrates well with my RCD510 and brings up address books, missed called, last called etc. More info here if you are interested: FISCON Bluetooth Handsfree (http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/main_volkswagen.php)
Didn't go through a VW dealer, just an auto electrical place where my work gets its bluetooth/car kits installed for their company cars. (They have a bit of experience with such units in VW's and were recommended to me).
It cost me $800 and works fantastically with the touch screen, sound is through the car speakers and the microphone is located in the little compartment near the rear-view mirror.
Only thing is its not connected to my steering wheel button yet, apparently I have to go to VW for them to update something. No bid deal for me, as I'm so used to the touch screen I don't even look at it when using it.

GTI mk6
06-01-2011, 07:45 PM
I had a Fiscon bluetooth unit installed in my Polo a few weeks ago. It integrates well with my RCD510 and brings up address books, missed called, last called etc. More info here if you are interested: FISCON Bluetooth Handsfree (http://fiscon-mobile.com/products/main_volkswagen.php)
Didn't go through a VW dealer, just an auto electrical place where my work gets its bluetooth/car kits installed for their company cars. (They have a bit of experience with such units in VW's and were recommended to me).
It cost me $800 and works fantastically with the touch screen, sound is through the car speakers and the microphone is located in the little compartment near the rear-view mirror.
Only thing is its not connected to my steering wheel button yet, apparently I have to go to VW for them to update something. No bid deal for me, as I'm so used to the touch screen I don't even look at it when using it.

Could you provide details of installer please - happy for PM also :-)

deepdude
08-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Hi, I have been desperately trying to get some clear information out of VW sales dudes for about a month concerning BT connectivity on the 2011 Polo GTI. Are you saying that the basic BT kit will answer (but not call) calls from the steering wheel, and that the head unit will stream audio via BT, or via a jack into the AUX input?

Yep, the basic VW dealer fitted kit for the new PoG will answer calls from the steering wheel. When the call comes through, if the stereo's on it'll mute the audio, you'll hear your phones ringtone, the head unit will say something like "PHONE" and you answer via the phone button on the steering wheel. You then hang-up via the same button. If the stereo was off, it doesn't matter... the call will still come through.

Regarding bluetooth streaming, yep, it streams wirelessly. You enable BT Audio in SETTINGS on your head unit, and when the car's on and your device is paired with the car, BT Audio comes up as a secondary option under AUX. Super simple, very tidy.

Where do I find comprehensive information about this? And what is that dealer unit they are offering that sits above the air vent?

I looked everywhere and had a real hard time finding specific info. There are a bunch of threads in the VW Car Audio and Electronics (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f78/) forum, not really PoG specific though. The dealer unit that sits above the dash is the VW Premium Bluetooth Kit... it costs a bundle more than the standard, and do you really want a junky piece of kit protuding from your dash? Yep, it'll do a bunch more stuff, like show all your contacts, say who's calling when the call comes in, maybe even send SMS... but I couldn't justify the costs against the finished product.

I must note, I only have the dealer fitted kit cause I got it thrown in free... otherwise I would have sourced my own gear and had someone else install it for a significantly cheaper cost.

Good luck!

stucam
11-01-2011, 03:41 PM
Thanks alot, Deepdude, for the comprehensive info. Am thinking of a Golf GTI 2011 instead of Polo, I know they are different classes, but I think the build quality and standard features of the Golf are swaying me in this direction. Price differential hurts though. Cheers, S

polojoegti
12-01-2011, 06:32 PM
hey guys,

Got finished dealing with the car salesperson I ordered my Polo GTI from, and i'm struggling with the whole bluetooth thing. They wanted me to pay $700 for a factory fitted bluetooth system which seemed not worth the money. I really need a bluetooth system, but want something that works with the upgraded audio headunit i ordered for the car. I searched on eBay and there seem to be overseas units which link with the head unit and are fully integrated. Can anyone recomend whether its worth buying theseproducts, or ifthere is a local person to speak to in Sydney

SmutsGTI
12-01-2011, 07:45 PM
The vw kit is way overpriced IMHO. I'm having the new motorola tk30 installed tomorrow. Allows 2 phones to pair at the same time and also has a charge dock, USB that supports 2.5pm HDD and also aux-in + a neat little OLED display that pulls playlists / track names , phonebook and supports streaming as well from iPhone etc. Bottom line $480 fitted. I played with one last week it's brilliant.

GTI mk6
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
The vw kit is way overpriced IMHO. I'm having the new motorola tk30 installed tomorrow. Allows 2 phones to pair at the same time and also has a charge dock, USB that supports 2.5pm HDD and also aux-in + a neat little OLED display that pulls playlists / track names , phonebook and supports streaming as well from iPhone etc. Bottom line $480 fitted. I played with one last week it's brilliant.
Would appreciate some feed back once installed.
Do you have an iPhone by any chance?
Cheers :-)

armthehomeless
13-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Regarding bluetooth streaming, yep, it streams wirelessly. You enable BT Audio in SETTINGS on your head unit, and when the car's on and your device is paired with the car, BT Audio comes up as a secondary option under AUX. Super simple, very tidy.

I am having issues with this. I have enabled the BT Audio in the head unit and it still will not stream. I stream audio on my phone to my motorcycle helmet...so I'm unsure as to why it won't work in the Polo. Really annoys me!

I was under the impression that you can't stream to the 310...

Car25
13-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Interesting thread and useful as I am to pick up Polo GTI within the next week.

At the moment, car has standard audio etc system (310?).

If I want integrated bluetooth (for phone) and full ipod controls (ie. not just an aux. input), am I better to get an aftermarket solution?

Willing to spend up to $1,500 or possibly a little more...if I can get user friendly sat nav included within this price even better.

Surely there must be one option which simply does everything well and does not cost the earth.

deepdude
16-01-2011, 10:38 AM
I am having issues with this. I have enabled the BT Audio in the head unit and it still will not stream. I stream audio on my phone to my motorcycle helmet...so I'm unsure as to why it won't work in the Polo. Really annoys me!

I was under the impression that you can't stream to the 310...

I can stream to the 310... I have the dealer fitted basic bluetooth, and the device I'm using is an iPhone.

Ensure your iPhone is paired and the car has started.

Under SETUP on the 310, ensure BLUETOOTH-AUDIO SOURCE is set to ON:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/6117/menusetupbtaudio.jpg

On your iPhone, play a tune and ensure the output is set to your car:

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/4660/ipodm.png

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/8955/ipodoutput.png

Under MEDIA on the 310, select BT-AUDIO:

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/1742/mediabtaudio.jpg

This works for me. Sometimes it's a bit fiddly and I'll have to press play/pause a few times on the iPhone or turn the 310 on/off again, but normally works fine.

Hope this helps.

Brian916
16-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Now that's useful info - I'm assuming it's the factory delivered unit in the car? Means I don't have to try to get an upgrade if it will work as it is.

deepdude
16-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Now that's useful info - I'm assuming it's the factory delivered unit in the car? Means I don't have to try to get an upgrade if it will work as it is.

Factory delivered unit (RCD-310), with dealer fitted basic bluetooth.

SmutsGTI
16-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Had the kit installed and couldn't be happier. Both me and the wife have an Iphone 4 and it hooks up flawlessly to both so if a call comes through on either phone it picks up no problems. Bluetooth streaming is superb and i also have the aux \ usb \ Iphone connection + charge as well. Voice quality is excellent and the control panel is intuitive and easy to use. The voice commands are are also brilliant. Well worth the spend and i have lifetime warranty on the install and 2 yrs on the kit.

armthehomeless
16-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks for that info. I might go try it again :)

JexL
20-01-2011, 08:32 PM
has anyone installed a dension gateway into their polo? was thinking of getting MDI installed but now i think i prefer the dension

Braddles
31-01-2011, 09:12 PM
I have the RCD510. Does anyone know if the Kufatec will work in conjunction with the MFD in the Polo?
I rang Steve Purcell today (got his details from another thread). He said, because the Polo doesn't have the phone controls on the right hand side of the steering wheel, I wouldn't be able to control the phone from the steering wheel nor would I get the MFD integration.
When I spoke to the The Car Kit Company they said it would be possible and that I might just need the steering controls to be coded.
Not sure who to believe...?

Car25
10-02-2011, 01:06 PM
has anyone installed a dension gateway into their polo? was thinking of getting MDI installed but now i think i prefer the dension

I have the Dension Gateway installed and it's been a bad experience. The well known company I bought it from assured me it would be Ok and they promised professional installation.

The result:

- The installer told me after the event that a Volkswagen dealer would have to program the car's computer to enable full functionality (including being able to use button on the steering wheel). When I contacted dealers they generally abused me for going the aftermarket route. Eventually I found one who promised to do the job at a cost and with a nearly two week wait for the job to be done.
- The Volkswagen dealer told me that their machine did not recognise the Dension and all they got were error messages. Then they proceeded to again tell me off for buying a non Volkswagen brand they had never heard of.
- I contacted Dension by email (no Australian telephone number)...it took 2 days for a response...they told me to insert a USB and 'extract' details for them to analyse...this process did not work...Then they told me to go back to the distributor
- So now, sometimes the system works and sometimes it doesn't...it just seems really fickle...and the steering wheel controls cannot work according to the Volkswagen dealer.

YellowLemon
26-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Hi! What is the part number or model for the "dealer fitted basic bluetooth" mentioned
by deepdude? It obviously works with the 310!

Is that the 9W7 aka 9ZB aka 7P6 035 730 ?

YellowLemon
10-04-2011, 02:24 PM
An update! For a mere ~$1370 and 2 hours work (only $500 more than the $700 "basic" dealer bluetooth at your VW dealer) you can get fantastic RNS510 navigation, DVD video player and OEM 9W7 bluetooth for your 6R Polo (2010-2011). See my thread here:

RNS510 and 9W7 Bluetooth in the new Polo 6R (2011) (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f128/rns510-9w7-bluetooth-new-polo-6r-57428.html)

DrDanyG
17-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Bluetooth for the Polo is not a factory option, it is a dealer fitted option only that costs $995 fully installed.

petho
17-04-2011, 10:29 PM
If you pay $995 you are paying too much. I paid $660. In the end it didn't do what I requested so I had it removed and refunded. Ended up getting the 9W7 system and fitted it myself. I couldn't be happier with how things turned out.

YellowLemon
18-04-2011, 09:43 AM
If you pay $995 you are paying too much. I paid $660. In the end it didn't do what I requested so I had it removed and refunded. Ended up getting the 9W7 system and fitted it myself.

Hehehe, for Polo it's a $600-$900 dealer fit option or $350 self-fit option from spanish ebay seller :banana: The 9w7 rocks! Also for the record the Polo DOES have factory bluetooth, it's option code 9ZA I believe? I saw it in the options system at the dealer. I may be wrong tho.

gavs
18-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Yeah, it is factory fit because it gets mounted into the floorpan under the RHS front seat.

sVWatt
18-04-2011, 05:01 PM
If you pay $995 you are paying too much. I paid $660. In the end it didn't do what I requested so I had it removed and refunded. Ended up getting the 9W7 system and fitted it myself. I couldn't be happier with how things turned out.

Hi petho I too paid 600 and it didn't do stereo Bluetooth - was that the same issue with you?

petho
18-04-2011, 09:30 PM
No they just failed to get Audio Streaming working at all. Tired to tell me it was a iphone 4 issue but failed to show me the system working with any phone. I tried about 8 different phones myself. Anyway the sales rep was great and sorted everything out. I had in writing that the bluetooth needed to work with the iphone 4 and was capable of Streaming.

Petho

lowlee
19-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Is the bluetooth factory fit only? My purchase happened so fast I forgot to mention that I wanted bluetooth. Can it be done as a dealer fit also?

My car just has the RCD310 so I don't think the group buy Gav is organising would work with that. Is that correct?

sVWatt
20-04-2011, 07:19 AM
No they just failed to get Audio Streaming working at all. Tired to tell me it was a iphone 4 issue but failed to show me the system working with any phone. I tried about 8 different phones myself. Anyway the sales rep was great and sorted everything out. I had in writing that the bluetooth needed to work with the iphone 4 and was capable of Streaming.

Petho

Similar. The good news is Fibredyne have just released their latest version which does audio streaming in stereo, and loves iPhones :)

Tigga1
08-07-2011, 10:57 AM
Dear All

am getting my Polo GTI with RCD310 and looking for BT to go with it.
Parrot seems cheap, but I note the 310 version is not compatible with RCD510. The reason for my question is that I have the RCD510 in other car and may transfer to GTI later on, so compatibility would be useful

From this thread it would appear the Kufatec Fiskon is a good unit and will work with both.
Are there any other options people would recommend?

PS I'm not tech-savvy and would not considere doing anything to the car myself (expcept maybe debadging and washing...(-:)

thanks in advance