PDA

View Full Version : Brake lights

gotrice
11-01-2006, 07:38 AM
So I have no brake lights on my 1978 MK1. I suspect that might be kind of illegal so I am trying to fix it up. Only thing is I cant find the brake light switch. Does anyone know where it is? (Yeah Pete, I know I should just call you but this is more fun! And you know I'll call you when I really really cant find it) :lol:

Tim

Golf Loon
11-01-2006, 07:41 AM
There are two pressure switches on the master cylinder. If one fails the lights still work, if both fail, or there is an electrical fault, they dont work at all. If they are working, It`ll be a loose earth in the boot. Have Fun!

aprr32
11-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah Tim I like to hear some of the responses too, might learn something.

sammk1
19-01-2006, 10:14 PM
i had the same problem a couple of months back, all i did was change the pressure switch on the servo and it was all sweet, if that doesnt work, it'll be an earth like loon said.
cheers sam

gotrice
20-01-2006, 07:33 AM
Gents, (and gals too of course but I havent see a gal on the forum to date so please forgive me for being a complete pig) I have changed the pressure switch on the master cyclinder (I only have one switch now as I have changed the master cyclinder for a combi one, they bolt straight on and are bigger, better, new and improved!!! or so I am told! Again thanks to Pete of CVWC) and as yet have not bothered to check to see if it fixed the problem, but I am sure that I will in the not too distant future. Then I will look at the whole earthing effort from VW.

Golf Loon
20-01-2006, 08:21 AM
Servos with tinted glass are useful for checking brake lights on your own :lol:

gotrice
20-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Th thing I love about a MK1 is that I can fold the seat down and just look at the lights to see if they are working! :D
So I had a look up the back and sure enough there is the earth wire floating about in space, hook him back up and transport for the Peoples Republic of Tim is back in action! Yay for me. Now all I need is an LSD.

Golf Loon
20-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Now all I need is an LSD.

The gearbox or the hallucnagenic? :shock:

I can hook you up, with the box anyway :lol:

gotrice
20-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Dont need a box coz I got one that works now, I just want an LSD to put in my current one. I keep hearing the word Quaif being thrown about....