PDA

View Full Version : TSI exhaust mods

FJ Steve
29-12-2010, 12:42 PM
So...who's done what? Who's planning on doing anything?

For us...it's not about gaining more power (well, that's not #1 priority). Looking to get a bit of a 'note' from the 1.2L donk (via the exhaust). Air intake mods don't do it for me....want a better a sound from the back.

Thoughts?

swgn
29-12-2010, 05:36 PM
Haven't seen much available as yet.

Sprintsprint list one for the 77TSI on their site as "available soon"
http://www.supersprint.com/USP000vwpol29.asp

ABT have their center exhaust + rear apron set though I've yet to see any reviews of this, not sure if it's widely available. There's a short (French) review of a kitted ABT 6R on YouTube, search for "ABT Polo actiontuning.fr"

ozgti
29-12-2010, 10:16 PM
I deleted the rear box on the golf, and it doesn't sound any meatier, a bit raspier, but that's it. It has a woosh sound at WOT which I'm going to try to sort out. Probably straight pipes and a hotdog muffler.

Tibsy92
28-07-2011, 02:01 PM
If not too late/ you haven't done it yet... I've done it today, 2010 polo 1.2 dsg. 3inch pipe, no resonator and high flow muffler on the end. They couldn't put bigger cats as there's too many wires to change it from there which would've resulted in engine warning lights. instead started from just below and put the straight pipes with muffler and chrome tip. It goes a bit faster, but sounds a lot better in combination with the k&n air pod filter. Has a raspy sound between 1000-3500 rpms and 3500-6000 has quite a nice grunt due to the turbo.. Cost me $750.. If you live in nsw and they're near go see John At carline in mortdale on boundary road.

Carline - Store Locator (http://carline.com.au/store-locator.html?dlstate=NSW&dlsuburb=2223&SuburbText=Mortdale%2C+NSW%2C+2223&StoreLocator2Form=y&Search=Search)

Hail22
28-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Depends on your budget Steve....

PoloDave
29-07-2011, 02:42 AM
Check Ebay for a FOX front muffler, I am thinking of trying it myself.. only €152

JexL
29-07-2011, 11:49 PM
any videos to post?

Hail22
01-08-2011, 01:33 PM
This is not my car by any means but it's a video of the ABT Exhaust sound xD

Videos and pictures do no justice for the real deal! ‪Polo 6R Sound von Abt Endschald舂pfer (ESD) Sportauspuff 1.2 MPI‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX0IEEQVpxw)

dave_r
01-08-2011, 02:24 PM
How much did the ABT cost? probably cheaper to trade upto a GTI lol!

I haven't looked under ours but I'm guessing there has to be a centre muffler or something similar which any exhaust shop should be able to replace with a straight bit of pipe for more sound?

Hail22
01-08-2011, 03:03 PM
2k plus $195 however i got it cheaper as i got it during EOFYS.

JexL
01-08-2011, 09:08 PM
was that price just for the exhaust or also including the tune?

Hail22
01-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Just exhaust your looking at more for the tune and $35 an hour for labour when tuning.

Gusman
21-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Is anyone running (or ordered) the supersprint cat-back system? Seems to still be very limited off the shelf exhaust options for us 77tsi owners...

Buller_Scott
22-10-2011, 03:24 AM
hey guys :)

i really dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but exhaust mods on a turbo that's as small (even if it's HUGELY capable, as i will attest to in the 1.2 turbo donk) as the tsi's, is next to placebo.

i had a conversation with a fellow watercooler tonight at tim's factory (a regular gathering pot every friday night in melbourne - tim, a vw watercooled member, has a factory, and we meet there)..... there is SO much money you can spend on mods - and many of the intake / exhaust / engine bay mods look DAMN attractive - "spend $300 on our special filter and we'll up your horsepower by as much as 12%!!!!"

it's all horse shtie. even porsche turbos DON'T measure any real (>5hp) gain on the dyno with "cold air conical filters".

that pertains to intake, now, the exhaust:

dump pipe is something that i WONT do in my tdi because even though it sounds good on petrol turbos with bigger turbos bolted on, given the fact that the tsi has a tiny turbo, it might induce boost creep, which will potentially kill the turbo early.

free flowing cat will cost you x00 dollars, but will result in around <0.5hp more power.... oh, dont get me wrong, you'll feel a huge burst of power up your clacker when you stomp on the go pedal, but that will purely be because humankind isnt very good at admitting that they've just parted ways with valuable money, and received nothing in return...

cat back = ditto.

if you want aural pleasure, then it will have to be in the rear muffler - this is where people on here have spend big $$$ trying to get exhaust notes just right, growly but not droning etc etc...

i chopped the fcker off - after all, the turbo in your car is the world's most expensive muffler anyway.

lol... hope that.... helped?

Hail22
22-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Meh i got mine purely because i am aiming for Baby R status :P

GoLfMan
22-10-2011, 09:30 AM
I'd do a dump pipe and a hight flow cat. It WILL help, especially when mated up with a tune to take advantage of the extra airflow :)

Gusman
22-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Scott, I take your point, I'm certainly aware that ultimately the tiny turbo is the limiting factor, I guess I should have added that for now I'm just after something that doesn't cost a fortune and releases a sweet note, and if there is any hp benefit then that's a bonus :-) That said, I have been told a couple of times now that a dump pipe and high flow cat will get some sort of hp result, so I'd be interested to hear from any tsi owners that head down that path. Considering I'm booked in today with John at DNA for the stage 1 tune I figure that will take care of my power needs (and my budget) for a period of time anyway.

Hail, mission accomplished! It looks sweet.

FJ Steve
22-10-2011, 12:57 PM
hey guys :)

i really dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but exhaust mods on a turbo that's as small (even if it's HUGELY capable, as i will attest to in the 1.2 turbo donk) as the tsi's, is next to placebo.

i had a conversation with a fellow watercooler tonight at tim's factory (a regular gathering pot every friday night in melbourne - tim, a vw watercooled member, has a factory, and we meet there)..... there is SO much money you can spend on mods - and many of the intake / exhaust / engine bay mods look DAMN attractive - "spend $300 on our special filter and we'll up your horsepower by as much as 12%!!!!"

it's all horse shtie. even porsche turbos DON'T measure any real (>5hp) gain on the dyno with "cold air conical filters".

that pertains to intake, now, the exhaust:

dump pipe is something that i WONT do in my tdi because even though it sounds good on petrol turbos with bigger turbos bolted on, given the fact that the tsi has a tiny turbo, it might induce boost creep, which will potentially kill the turbo early.

free flowing cat will cost you x00 dollars, but will result in around <0.5hp more power.... oh, dont get me wrong, you'll feel a huge burst of power up your clacker when you stomp on the go pedal, but that will purely be because humankind isnt very good at admitting that they've just parted ways with valuable money, and received nothing in return...

cat back = ditto.

if you want aural pleasure, then it will have to be in the rear muffler - this is where people on here have spend big $$$ trying to get exhaust notes just right, growly but not droning etc etc...

i chopped the fcker off - after all, the turbo in your car is the world's most expensive muffler anyway.

lol... hope that.... helped?

Noted....but to go back to the start of the thread.....what I asked was:

So...who's done what? Who's planning on doing anything?

For us...it's not about gaining more power (well, that's not #1 priority). Looking to get a bit of a 'note' from the 1.2L donk (via the exhaust). Air intake mods don't do it for me....want a better a sound from the back.

Thoughts?

So. Now that we are back on track....has anyone made exhaust mods to provide a 'note'? If so...do you have any video/audio of what it sounds like now?

Hail22....does yours sound any different now with the BabyR 'zorst mods?

Hail22
22-10-2011, 09:55 PM
Noted....but to go back to the start of the thread.....what I asked was:

So. Now that we are back on track....has anyone made exhaust mods to provide a 'note'? If so...do you have any video/audio of what it sounds like now?

Hail22....does yours sound any different now with the BabyR 'zorst mods?

Most definitely, sounds like a blurrt o tron, as i run in the exhaust its a lot more in line with a GTI blurt with gear changes, i have been told by people the tone is full of bass similar to the Golf GTI when driving away.

So i shall tick that off as a very happy camper! :D

bigfoot
24-10-2011, 01:02 PM
Most definitely, sounds like a blurrt o tron, as i run in the exhaust its a lot more in line with a GTI blurt with gear changes

exactly what i'm after. now how about a sound clip and link to there you got the zorst??

:D

Hail22
24-10-2011, 03:46 PM
I don't have time to start my car up and do a walk through but here are two sound clips....zorsts i found on youtube as im pressed for time is here

Polo 6R Sound von Abt Endschald舂pfer (ESD) Sportauspuff 1.2 MPI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX0IEEQVpxw)

Polo 6R mit ABT sportauspuff - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ7N3lI2ss&feature=related)

FJ Steve
24-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I don't have time to start my car up and do a walk through but here are two sound clips....zorsts i found on youtube as im pressed for time is here

Polo 6R Sound von Abt Endschald舂pfer (ESD) Sportauspuff 1.2 MPI - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX0IEEQVpxw)

Polo 6R mit ABT sportauspuff - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ7N3lI2ss&feature=related)nice.......

bigfoot
25-10-2011, 07:43 AM

Polo 6R mit ABT sportauspuff - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ7N3lI2ss&feature=related)

neither of those are TSIs - does yours sound similar?

Hail22
25-10-2011, 08:23 AM
No idea, i'm the driver not the passenger, i never rev dump my car(s)

All i notice is the note change while inside the cockpit and the feedback i receive from family/friends that and the blurt o tron.

And they're TSI's ABT has stated this exhaust mod is for only TDI/TSI models.

"an einem 1.2 MPI 60 Ps montiert." = 1.2 TSI

bigfoot
26-10-2011, 07:58 AM
mmm blurt o tron :D

"an einem 1.2 MPI 60 Ps montiert." = 1.2 TSI

sorry but 1.2 MPI and 1.2 TSI are different engines...the MPI is a 3 cylinder and produces 60PS (horsepower) i.e. 44kw as opposed to the 77kw TSI (105hp).

so either ABT actually make an exhaust (probably muffler only?) for non turbo cars or the youtube clip has the wrong info attached

Hail22
26-10-2011, 12:32 PM
My car sounds meatier like i said before and has a distinct tone to it, your looking at quite a bit of coin in order to get this mod completed.

PoloDave
28-10-2011, 05:06 AM
agreed, I have the ABT exhaust installed before I even picked up the car at the dealer, added a K&N filter for extra sound in the high revs, sounds quite amazing for a little engine

I love the 1 to 2 shifts especially

bigfoot
28-10-2011, 08:46 AM
does it dsg blurt like this? :)

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fw atch%3Fv%3DDd2sDtA-Y0U&v=Dd2sDtA-Y0U&gl=AU)

bigfoot
02-11-2011, 03:19 PM
just came across this, sorry if it's been posted before

VW Polo TSI ABT Sportsline Exhaust System and Carbon Fibre Rear Diffuser (http://ramspeed.com.au/forum/showthread.php?567-VW-Polo-TSI-ABT-Sportsline-Exhaust-System-and-Carbon-Fibre-Rear-Diffuser)

JexL
02-11-2011, 06:03 PM
its been posted before and it is hails actual car haha

Hail22
02-11-2011, 06:42 PM
Lol that's my car xD hahaha

bigfoot
03-11-2011, 07:20 AM
looks tops!

Hail22
03-11-2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah hopefully it wont look all like that in the near future but at the moment i can't find a way to get the Polo R-line kit i'm possibly going to have to get many many many photos of the Polo R rally car including up close photos and have them sent off to manufacturers to replicate the work with full oem material used on current VW body work.

I must finish my Baby R project!

M4RK0
03-11-2011, 11:56 AM
That ABT looks mint!!

bigfoot
07-11-2011, 08:37 AM
i called a retailer on saturday re the ABT. The call went something like this:

Me: Hi, I'm calling to get a price on the ABT muffler and carbon "look" diffuser
Retailer: $2500...plus $600 labour
Me: LOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Trepid4tion
07-11-2011, 09:43 AM
in talks at the moment with someone with regards to a turbo back system for the 1.2tsi, pending money at the moment really and my most recent bought of the manual gearbox not going into gear (want to clear up my waranty issues before i get the system)... That and im stuck between choosing the Reiger rear bar, or the factory gti bar... or the R-Line rear....

Choices... Choices...

i called a retailer on saturday re the ABT. The call went something like this:

Me: Hi, I'm calling to get a price on the ABT muffler and carbon "look" diffuser
Retailer: $2500...plus $600 labour
Me: LOLLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Had a similar experience with VW about a price for the GTI Gauge Cluster... except it was more of a $1700

and my response was a Me: .... (insert tumble weed noise here).... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

bigfoot
07-11-2011, 11:25 AM
what sort of coin are you looking at for a full turbo-back system?

that ABT is just cat-back!

supersprint looks like much better value, assuming something can be done about the stupid 100mm chrome tip

Trepid4tion
07-11-2011, 01:34 PM
not 100% sure on the cost yet, but im expecting about the same as what it is for the ABT. Shall post up with some figures when i find out to see if there is any other intrest out there, basically giving them the criteria i want (nice note, ceramic coated, absolutely no drone, not fussed if there isnt power gain as its not my primary goal with it, more of a bonus), just missing having a note to the exhaust, friends of mine at TOCAU say they cant hear me pulling in at the meetups...

Might not know anything for a week or 2. In the mean time, got exams, rediculous workload at work and a mates new 2010 GTR to drool over...

As for the supersprint, there is a clip or 2 of the 1.2tsi with it on youtube, not a fan of the note... Be nice if i could get away with a similar growl to the WRC Polo... heheh backfire around every corner >>

Gusman
07-11-2011, 01:59 PM
There's definitely some interest, particularly for those of us in 'vegas, so let us know how it goes! Your criteria are a close match for mine.

bigfoot
07-11-2011, 02:58 PM
As for the supersprint, there is a clip or 2 of the 1.2tsi with it on youtube, not a fan of the note...

actually, that sounds pretty shyte esp that belgian one :(

bring on the WRC exhaust!

Hail22
07-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I got my Zaust during financial year, got it for a steal literally xD

gavs
14-11-2011, 11:07 AM
Food for thought for people, I will be looking at a centre-muffler delete today on the GTI, not sure what the setup and pipe diameters etc are like on the 1.2TSI but if I can release a bit more note out of the GTI by doing this, I might be able to provide some insight for others looking at doing this themselves....

Trepid4tion
14-11-2011, 11:20 AM
that'd be good mate, was having a look myself on teh weekend, didnt have any pipe to replace with though so i left it alone.

team_v
14-11-2011, 11:34 AM
Food for thought for people, I will be looking at a centre-muffler delete today on the GTI, not sure what the setup and pipe diameters etc are like on the 1.2TSI but if I can release a bit more note out of the GTI by doing this, I might be able to provide some insight for others looking at doing this themselves....

The resonator delete will net you more power but not much more exhaust note.

The rear muffler delete will net you more of a note but not much power gain.

I have the muffler delete on my tig and it's great, cheap as too.

gavs
14-11-2011, 12:00 PM
Yeah, would prefer to do the rear muffler delete (seemingly easier job) except for the damn twin pipes. They exit the muffler as 2 separate pipes, not 1 with 2 tips on it.

Will probably do both at some stage but at this stage, would like to see what the centre muffler would net first, that's pretty much just a straight pipe and an extra clamp:)

Gusman
24-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Ok, I need some help here. Prior to getting a customised tune, I've been looking for an off-the-shelf dump pipe to fit my 77TSI (been trawling the uk/euro tuner websites) and have so far come up empty. Has anyone stumbled across one? Option B is to go what I suspect will be the more expensive route and have one made by a reputable operation here in Brisbane. Has anyone gone down this road?

PoloDave
25-12-2011, 01:11 AM
your only option is to go custom. The 77TSI is not concidered a sports car so tuners wont put efford in developing parts for it..
I think it will be way to expensive to get it done in relation to the gains.. Labour, sport cat, etc

I also looked into this and one of the companies here charged me €650 to do it :S

Maybe theres not much exhaust gas to optimise in the first place

Gusman
25-12-2011, 12:52 PM
I suspected as much. I'll get some quotes once places open for business again in the New Year, if I can live with the cost I guess I will be the guinea pig in terms of seeing whether it is worthwhile for the 77TSI in conjunction with a custom tune. Someone's got to do it! And you can all point and laugh if the gains aren't worthwhile ;-)

bigfoot
13-02-2012, 03:46 PM
found this on youtoob. full custom

Polo 1.2 Tsi, 2" Downpipe & Custom Cat-back - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3WLrXq8GE&feature=youtu.be)

Hail22
13-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Polo 1.2 Tsi, 2" Downpipe & Custom Cat-back - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3WLrXq8GE&feature=youtu.be)

Hmmmm too ricey, but thats my own opinion.

I can't remember big, what was your budget again?

PoloDave
14-02-2012, 01:25 AM
for me it's like most tattoo's.. Very much like it, but don't want to have it in the long term

Hail22
14-02-2012, 06:27 AM
for me it's like most tattoo's.. Very much like it, but don't want to have it in the long term

We both have ABT exhaust kits, and i guarantee you we both keep staring at the back when your about to get into the car :P

Darlie
14-02-2012, 04:27 PM

Hey guys, that so happens to be my ride lol

What you see in the video was the exhaust kit completely without any resonators, DP > Piping > Muffler

It was hella loud, and I do agree, a little wee bit on the 'ricey' side, and it also didn't help that the phone I was using to record had terrible audio quality. But nevertheless, I slapped on a resonator yesterday and the car sounds alot more civilized with almost no cabin drone, I'll try to post a video up by tomorrow or something. (much softer DSG 'pop' now though :( )

Regarding performance gains, I had a mate with a stock TSi that was running the same setup as me (with the resonator) and he posted about 9-10WHP gain, 7 from the catless downpipe itself and the remaining few from the cat-back.

PoloDave
15-02-2012, 12:18 AM
We both have ABT exhaust kits, and i guarantee you we both keep staring at the back when your about to get into the car :P

lol so true! I keep staring at it! For some reason the exhaust pipes point downwards after lowering the car, maybe they are hitting something because of suspension travel but havent looked under the car yet (should it even be possible?).

Was referring to the sound though, still can't decide to remove the resonator. Keep changing my mind on a daily basis :rolleyes:

Buller_Scott
15-02-2012, 01:35 AM

What you see in the video was the exhaust kit completely without any resonators, DP > Piping > Muffler

It was hella loud, and I do agree, a little wee bit on the 'ricey' side, and it also didn't help that the phone I was using to record had terrible audio quality. But nevertheless, I slapped on a resonator yesterday and the car sounds alot more civilized with almost no cabin drone, I'll try to post a video up by tomorrow or something. (much softer DSG 'pop' now though :( )

Regarding performance gains, I had a mate with a stock TSi that was running the same setup as me (with the resonator) and he posted about 9-10WHP gain, 7 from the catless downpipe itself and the remaining few from the cat-back.

nice smooth take off :)

are those wheel horsepower gains with JUST the exhaust mods, and without having the car tuned? are those gains dyno confirmed?

because that's some seriously good gains for just a straight through - i wouldnt give a crap what the car sounded like, a 1.2T with those kind of gains, not yet tuned, is a friggin impressive improvement.

even if those gains are AFTER having being tuned, that's still mighty impressive.

Darlie
15-02-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks buddy :) Was just WOT on S mode.

And regarding the gains, personally I have yet to put my car on the dyno but even if I do, I wouldn't have any base figures to compare them to as I didn't do a dyno before I had my tuning & the exhaust kit :( silly me. However my mates car was basically a guinea pig for quite a reputable local custom exhaust workshop when they were developing a system for the 1.2 motor, and every single alteration made to the beta setup was accompanied by dyno runs (on a dynojet) by the workshop in order to study gains based on various setups tested, though I was not there for all the dyno runs through the entire process, I did manage to witness the final run. Base figure, 95whp, after(3 runs), 104-105whp.

I too was quite surprised when I first saw the figures, I reckon most of the gains comes from the removal of the cat which seemed pretty darn restrictive.

Hail22
15-02-2012, 07:29 AM
lol so true! I keep staring at it! For some reason the exhaust pipes point downwards after lowering the car, maybe they are hitting something because of suspension travel but havent looked under the car yet (should it even be possible?).

Was referring to the sound though, still can't decide to remove the resonator. Keep changing my mind on a daily basis :rolleyes:

Its a much of a muchness, you can try and see what happens, but first please speak to ABT about getting a manual for the kit so in case of a *beep up* you can reverse it with ease.

bigfoot
15-02-2012, 09:12 AM

nice one mate!

gavs
15-02-2012, 09:33 AM
The poms are removing cats and replacing with either high-flow or fake cats and are seeing considerable gains on the GTI especially coupled with a larger dump pipe and centre muffler deleted, change the figures above from Hp to Kw though!

Mighty resrictive system that seems to develop massive back-pressure into the engine. Coupled with massive heat issues, clearly restrictive intake design (ITG intake on stock motors sees increas of 7-9kw at the wheels alone) and poor engine mapping (according to many tuners), image if they did these cars right in the first place! But then there would be no aftermarket scene I guess :)

Darlie
15-02-2012, 02:09 PM

Based on what I experienced without the resonator, besides the obvious fact that it gets much noticeably louder, the exhaust note tends to be a little more 'hollow-ish' sounding, and a little higher pitched. Also the DSG 'pop' is significantly more audible without the resonator, however it is more of a crackling sounding 'pop' as opposed to a bassy sounding 'pop' (with the resonator). Do prepare for lots of cabin drone though!

It terms of feel, I could significantly notice the difference in air-flow between both resonated and non-resonated setups. I much prefer the non-resonated setup but too many complains about the noise :(

nice one mate!

Thanks man.. If i'm not feeling too knackered after work, I'll see about doing a short video on the current setup with the resonator. See what you guys think :) cheers!

Hail22
15-02-2012, 02:44 PM
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/02/2ziv38n-1.jpg

Fear the Polo R xD

Lucas_R
15-02-2012, 03:39 PM
^^ that looks really good. Well done.

Hail22
15-02-2012, 03:58 PM
^^ that looks really good. Well done.

Still not done xD placed an order for TUV approved Polo R rallying rear guard and front tyre guard, then 18' Talladegas (awaiting for analysis and crush test from the UK since it will be built in 5x100 rather than standard).

Yes Yes If anyone is interested when the car is complete i will spew out all the details/contacts.

R Badge ordered via VW with a mates Golf R Vin number (you need to have the VIN number of the car to get a certain part) ;)

Darlie
15-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Hail22: Am loving the center tail pipes and that sweet carbon-ish diffuser bit! You gotta give it up to ABT for having probably one of the most aesthetic pleasing looking exhaust kits around for the 6R.

I have always been uber curious about how the ABT exhaust sounds on the TSI, do you happen to have any videos/sound clips?

Hail22
15-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Hail22: Am loving the center tail pipes and that sweet carbon-ish diffuser bit! You gotta give it up to ABT for having probably one of the most aesthetic pleasing looking exhaust kits around for the 6R.

I have always been uber curious about how the ABT exhaust sounds on the TSI, do you happen to have any videos/sound clips?

No videos of my own, however i have links to some people who have linked it on the tube.

Polo 6R mit ABT sportauspuff - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ7N3lI2ss)

VW Polo 6R mit ABT Sportsline Endschalld舂pfer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S98AIApqXPc)

However off the line on the lights, she blurts like a bit*h xD

I will say it once and maybe again in the future the cost of this setup is definitely worth it! :)

THE_EGG
15-02-2012, 05:09 PM
No videos of my own, however i have links to some people who have linked it on the tube.

Polo 6R mit ABT sportauspuff - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFQ7N3lI2ss)

VW Polo 6R mit ABT Sportsline Endschalld舂pfer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S98AIApqXPc)

I will say it once and maybe again in the future the cost of this setup is definitely worth it! :)

I think the top link is of a 1.2 Three cylinder N/A engine not the 1.2 Four cylinder TSI engine. I do like the rear diffuser on your car though, very nice :) VW really should release a Polo R, hopefully with a manual version too!

Hail22
15-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Better for me if they don't release a Polo R xD

I will get one however if it comes in 2 years (new car every 3 years).

PoloDave
16-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Based on what I experienced without the resonator, besides the obvious fact that it gets much noticeably louder, the exhaust note tends to be a little more 'hollow-ish' sounding, and a little higher pitched. Also the DSG 'pop' is significantly more audible without the resonator, however it is more of a crackling sounding 'pop' as opposed to a bassy sounding 'pop' (with the resonator). Do prepare for lots of cabin drone though!

It terms of feel, I could significantly notice the difference in air-flow between both resonated and non-resonated setups. I much prefer the non-resonated setup but too many complains about the noise :(

Thnx for that clear response! I'm afraid it might get too loud though. Might look into a FOX resonator, as far as I know no one else sells them..

+1, especially when the exhaust is warmed up :)

iigx
16-02-2012, 01:41 AM
Better for me if they don't release a Polo R xD

I will get one however if it comes in 2 years (new car every 3 years).

Its funny you mention the new car every 3 years deal - because I've been doing it with Toyotas (Yaris, now Aurion) for the past 6 - this will be my first VW.

HOWEVER.

My experience so far is that I will have to chose what VW i subsequently want after only 2 years, since i will wait 12 months to receive what I order!

If I want to go for a Sirocco R, i think i will need to order one after being in my Polo GTI for only 18 months!

Hail22
16-02-2012, 10:08 AM
Its funny you mention the new car every 3 years deal - because I've been doing it with Toyotas (Yaris, now Aurion) for the past 6 - this will be my first VW.

HOWEVER.

My experience so far is that I will have to chose what VW i subsequently want after only 2 years, since i will wait 12 months to receive what I order!

If I want to go for a Sirocco R, i think i will need to order one after being in my Polo GTI for only 18 months!

Not really if you go for the pre launch sales you get the first car on the lot.

Most of the Scirocco owners ordered before the official sale date as there were cars already in production.

My advice is wait...Mk7 Golf is out this year (October/November) which means next year will be the GTI/R

Darlie
21-02-2012, 01:09 AM
Hey guys, didn't manage to do a take-off video of my exhaust set-up with the resonator as I have been pretty darn busy, but if anyone is interested, I did put it on the dyno today and had some short videos taken, once again don't mind the cell-phone quality of the videos,

4th gear pull,
VW Polo 1.2 Tsi DSG Dyno Run (4th Gear pull) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWPKLmGZMBs)

3rd gear pull,
VW Polo 1.2 Tsi DSG Dyno Run (3rd Gear pull) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06lC4lBRvw&context=C3a58425ADOEgsToPDskIBhGz697oqJCmiAZn-KGkU)

Cheers!

bigfoot
22-02-2012, 01:02 PM
i have blurt envy!

danntsi77
22-02-2012, 07:04 PM
god i love that blurt......exhaust sounds good :) i want one!!!!!!

VWplo
30-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, didn't manage to do a take-off video of my exhaust set-up with the resonator as I have been pretty darn busy, but if anyone is interested, I did put it on the dyno today and had some short videos taken, once again don't mind the cell-phone quality of the videos,

4th gear pull,
VW Polo 1.2 Tsi DSG Dyno Run (4th Gear pull) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWPKLmGZMBs)

3rd gear pull,
VW Polo 1.2 Tsi DSG Dyno Run (3rd Gear pull) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z06lC4lBRvw&context=C3a58425ADOEgsToPDskIBhGz697oqJCmiAZn-KGkU)

Cheers!

if you dont mind me asking, how much did the custom exhaust cost you all up? im thinking of getting a similar thing done up by ultimate performance exhausts here in Brisbane. sorry if someone has already ask. plus has anyone here used ultimate performance exhausts in brendale?

Vdubboys81
12-01-2013, 12:27 PM
If not too late/ you haven't done it yet... I've done it today, 2010 polo 1.2 dsg. 3inch pipe, no resonator and high flow muffler on the end. They couldn't put bigger cats as there's too many wires to change it from there which would've resulted in engine warning lights. instead started from just below and put the straight pipes with muffler and chrome tip. It goes a bit faster, but sounds a lot better in combination with the k&n air pod filter. Has a raspy sound between 1000-3500 rpms and 3500-6000 has quite a nice grunt due to the turbo.. Cost me $750.. If you live in nsw and they're near go see John At carline in mortdale on boundary road.

Carline - Store Locator (http://carline.com.au/store-locator.html?dlstate=NSW&dlsuburb=2223&SuburbText=Mortdale%2C+NSW%2C+2223&StoreLocator2Form=y&Search=Search)

Hi,

Just got a Polo 6R 77TSI and wanted a meatier sounding exhaust, but not loud all the time. How has yours been and held up? I'm in Campbelltown NSW, so wondering if John still there at Carline? Also what xenons did you use, trying to find some that won't light up the warning lamp on the dash. Any help would be great!
Thanks

BTJ
14-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Hey Vdubboy

I know John at Carline in mortdale and yes he is still there and I'm sure he will do a great job. I'm away for work at the moment but when I get home I will be taking my TSI down there for him to deal with.

If you want I can let you know what he does and you can check mine out. Might even do us a deal if both of us go down...

PoloDave
18-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Does anyone know the exhaust piping diameter for the 77tsi? I know the 1.6 tdi and na 1.4 and 90hp tsi are 45 mm but most aftermarket front silencers are 50mm and I want to keep the current Abt rear silencer.. So not willing to work with adapters only to reduce the diameter after the front silencer again..

Trepid4tion
18-01-2013, 11:14 AM
pretty sure its 1.75 inch (45mm) pipe, shall get a proper measurement tonight after work (will just check on the centre muffler)

PoloDave
18-01-2013, 11:37 AM
Thanks a lot :)

Vdubboys81
20-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Sorry mate been sick in hospital and just busy haven't been on here in a bit, but back on now. Yeah have you gone to see that guy John at Carline? If ya what did he say, maybe if we both go he'll hook us up with a good deal

Hey Vdubboy

I know John at Carline in mortdale and yes he is still there and I'm sure he will do a great job. I'm away for work at the moment but when I get home I will be taking my TSI down there for him to deal with.

If you want I can let you know what he does and you can check mine out. Might even do us a deal if both of us go down...

pontiff
25-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I am not one to revive old threads willy nilly, but this thread has some valuable information so i thought it pertinent..

Does anyone in Melbourne know of a good exhaust shop that can create a new exhaust for my 1.2tsi along with anyone who can suggest the best route to go down (size, configuration etc), as a custom one does seem to be the most cost effective method as 'off the shelf' examples seem to be few and far between? (let alone expensive).

I am not after any power gains or such like, just something that is 'aurally pleasing' which the standard one is not (having just upgraded to the boavista wheels, all i hear are the 17" tyres)

Likewise, I'm not looking for some dodgy back street exhaust shop to just start chopping out muffers, and welding in 'fart can' exhausts without any thought of science go into their decision, just something that is measured and quality.

If you've ever seen the german made Eisenmann exhausts, now those mufflers are beautifully made and tick all the boxes (but alas, golf only)

TIA,
Aaron

fastlane
25-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Hallam Performance Exhaust - Barney. Top bloke, good prices and damn expert. His bends and craftmanship are a work of art. He even does custom headers, just a gun.

pontiff
25-02-2013, 02:31 PM
Hallam Performance Exhaust - Barney. Top bloke, good prices and damn expert. His bends and craftmanship are a work of art. He even does custom headers, just a gun.

Great tip thanks for that. I work in Kilsyth now, but live in Pakenham, so hallam is not that much of a stretch to get to :)

fastlane
25-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Ahh you work near where I live! Performance Exhaust Ringwood near your work isn't too bad either, heard good reviews from them, but I can only tell you about Hallam as I had an entire custom system made for an older car. I just used Ringwood for resy delete.

MarcusAurelius
25-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Great tip thanks for that. I work in Kilsyth now, but live in Pakenham, so hallam is not that much of a stretch to get to :)

i can confirm that barney is a motherfkn jedi master when it comes to exhausts. id recommend him

fastlane
25-02-2013, 04:19 PM
i can confirm that barney is a motherfkn jedi master when it comes to exhausts. id recommend him

You went to him too?!?!?!

It is like this: "Barney I want BLAH BLAH"
You pay him and he hands you gold. He is that good LOL

gavs
25-02-2013, 06:04 PM
I too vouch for performance exhaust in ringwood, depending on what and how you want it will dictate price though.

GTI JOE
25-02-2013, 06:42 PM
If you are out West then Sports Exhaust | Muffler | Exhaust system Melbourne | (http://sportsexhaust.com.au/) are very good. They installed my Milltek Cat Back, and yes, I would recommend them.

pontiff
25-02-2013, 07:26 PM
If you are out West then Sports Exhaust | Muffler | Exhaust system Melbourne | (http://sportsexhaust.com.au/) are very good. They installed my Milltek Cat Back, and yes, I would recommend them.

Im in the south east so sounds like hallam is the place to go. Ill make sure i take a cape and a light sabre :)

VWplo
25-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I hate to call you out on this arron but......... Jedi don't wear capes haha :)

pontiff
25-02-2013, 08:55 PM
I hate to call you out on this arron but......... Jedi don't wear capes haha :)

That's ok... That's not how you spell my name :P. To all those Star Wars fans who will no doubt be pelting me with eggs (virtual or otherwise) I apologise. I'll just board my romulan bird of pray, and make like a tree and get out of here. I think I have trampled on enough Hollywood gold. Don't forget to tip your waiters

Hail22
25-02-2013, 09:12 PM
That's ok... That's not how you spell my name :P. To all those Star Wars fans who will no doubt be pelting me with eggs (virtual or otherwise) I apologise. I'll just board my romulan bird of pray, and make like a tree and get out of here. I think I have trampled on enough Hollywood gold. Don't forget to tip your waiters

Why hello Bantha fodder :P

Go to 0:59 :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uoP6nFgzSE

VWplo
26-02-2013, 02:30 PM
its them blast em!!! just to clarify. Darth Vader is not a jedi so he doesnt count :p

you got me there AARON

SAV84C
05-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Thread revival...

Has anyone tried putting a Gti exhaust on? I found one for cheap

PoloDave
05-04-2013, 12:26 PM
yes, it is done before

VW Polo 1.2 Tsi 105cv - GTI Exhaust - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4_zJ4CiNm4)

Nuggos
05-04-2013, 01:19 PM
sounds rather average, i rekon my trendline sounds better and its just got a rear muffler delete, who knows though maybe im wrong

MarcusAurelius
05-04-2013, 04:04 PM
sounds rather average, i rekon my trendline sounds better and its just got a rear muffler delete, who knows though maybe im wrong

post a vid man! im keen to hear a trendie with rear muffler delete

Nuggos
05-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Hmmm i dont really have anything with good recording quality, but ill give it shot over the weekend.

Defs doesnt sound as good as yours though, no turbo spool but nice farts and cracks

_Jacobm
22-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Just a bump! Been quoted $320 for a custom exhaust from a local exhaust shop in northern Brisbane, do a rear muff delete or get this custom exhaust? Please help :(

nomadx38
22-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Just a bump! Been quoted $320 for a custom exhaust from a local exhaust shop in northern Brisbane, do a rear muff delete or get this custom exhaust? Please help :(

Haha rear delete all the way mate!

Just not sure about the regulations in your state but here in Vic there is no set guide line for how many mufflers you have.

So long as it comes in under the sound limit guidelines and from what I can tell by the ADR guidelines website that limit is 74db(a) (the (a) means it's looking for sound in a certain band) you then have state laws which in Victoria states a custom exhaust can't increase the or effect emissions control or performance - that's about it.

I just like to point out from what I tested (on an iPhone - yes I know real technical) that a rear delete peeks at 92db at about 2000. What does this mean? well it can drone quite a bit in the take off and at 90/100km-h and that could create attention but touch wood so far I've been good. It's not over the top like most commodores / falcons but its somthing to keep in mind :)

_Jacobm
22-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Haha rear delete all the way mate!

Just not sure about the regulations in your state but here in Vic there is no set guide line for how many mufflers you have.

So long as it comes in under the sound limit guidelines and from what I can tell by the ADR guidelines website that limit is 74db(a) (the (a) means it's looking for sound in a certain band) you then have state laws which in Victoria states a custom exhaust can't increase the or effect emissions control or performance - that's about it.

I just like to point out from what I tested (on an iPhone - yes I know real technical) that a rear delete peeks at 92db at about 2000. What does this mean? well it can drone quite a bit in the take off and at 90/100km-h and that could create attention but touch wood so far I've been good. It's not over the top like most commodores / falcons but its somthing to keep in mind :)

Is it a nice sound man? Not too long inside the cabin? Not too worried about the noise limit, I don't think it'll be a problem!

nomadx38
22-11-2013, 09:10 PM
Is it a nice sound man? Not too long inside the cabin? Not too worried about the noise limit, I don't think it'll be a problem!

There are some clips in the "Aural and motion thread" showing the rear delete. Sounds much better in person though

_Jacobm
22-11-2013, 10:01 PM
There are some clips in the "Aural and motion thread" showing the rear delete. Sounds much better in person though

Sweet. Any idea of installation costs?

nomadx38
23-11-2013, 10:31 AM
Mine cost about 110$ (+$40 for a genuine VW bracket). Mine is a whole new pipe from the resonator back. I did it like this just incase I got a defect notice I could just bolt the old exhaust on, get the fault cleared and then haha make more noise again :).

If you want to do it the real cheep way in sure it would cost about $50 just to chop the muffler off an put in a 40cm pipe...

_Jacobm
23-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Mine cost about 110$ (+$40 for a genuine VW bracket). Mine is a whole new pipe from the resonator back. I did it like this just incase I got a defect notice I could just bolt the old exhaust on, get the fault cleared and then haha make more noise again :).

If you want to do it the real cheep way in sure it would cost about $50 just to chop the muffler off an put in a 40cm pipe...

Would much rather do it the proper way, price doesn't bother me too much. Where'd you get it done, local exhaust shop?

ray_polo
09-12-2013, 03:13 AM
CustomCode & Shark Performance does a stage 1 Remap for the 1.2TSI. I've gotten mine done from CustomCode - Acceleration vids here - Polo 6R 1.2 TSI DSG - Stage 1 Remap - 0 to 100 Acceleration - YouTube (http://youtu.be/EgN5HMe2Pv8)

New exhaust for 1.2TSI by Neuspeed - AUDI A1 VW POLO GTI(9N) / POLO(6R)専用ページ | フォルクスワーゲン・アウディ・ポルシェの専門プロショップ / イシカワエンジニアリング NEUSPEED日本総輸入元 (http://www.ishikawa-engineering.com/polo/) (scroll down all the way to the end of the page)
BUT the exhaust costs a BOMB! ~ AUD$1400

bigfoot
21-01-2014, 05:06 PM
Got the rear muff replaced with a small straight through one yesterday. After removing the stock one I did a quick lap around the block and while it was fun I think the novelty would wear off esp with the drone.

Now it is still pretty quiet but better tone and blurt...I reckon it sounds like a stock golf gti

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2014/01/20140120_124527-1.jpg