PDA

View Full Version : AJL & AEB engine differences & BT ECU software Qs

cylinderhead
28-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Hi everyone,

I bought a 99 A4 1.8T GP edition and it came with a replacement engine at 60k km(don't have a clue HOW the owner threw a rod!) as well as an APR stage 1 chip. Now, I read elsewhere that the AJL is basically an AEB engine with aggressive ignition timing and higher boost. Is this correct? Jmac?:)

Guys from US mention its mechanically the same as the AEB but just wanna be safe than sorry.

Now on the big turbo part, Im saving some cash to get a big turbo kit from psiconcepts, its a TD05-20G hybrid turbo(still under R&D stage), which basically is a poor man's GTRS lol.

Apart from unitronic, which clearly advertised their tune on their website, any other options besides running standalone?

I have enquired eurodyne/chris tapp of their very programmable maestro 7 tuning suite but have yet to receive a reply.

Any ideas guys?

Golf Loon
29-12-2010, 11:43 PM
It has a higher rate output.
I thought the head had slight improvements on an AEB, but it could just be injectors and ecu.

Jmac
02-01-2011, 09:19 PM
Not an uncommon question to be asked, always has had a bit of mystery and always makes it "cool" when you get one over an AEB or an APU. Dont get me wrong the latter can be chipped off the charts. All of these engines have the same block so rods and stuff are all the same, there is minor differences with the Head on the AJL the ports are slightly larger, Turbo is a KO3s and the software map is of course different. Do some homework mate but man do it right and these engines have bags of balls!!!!!!!! Im stinging to get into my AGU, nice tuff internals too. Oh and yeah ill back up Loon the AJL is 132KW and the APU and AEB are 110kw
Cheers
Jmac

cylinderhead
08-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Ah, my bad. I knew the AJL and AEB's power output.

Jmac, the AJL has slightly bigger port than the AEB? That's a good start :D
I've rebuilt my own K03 but part number doesn't say it's the K03S as most people had thought so. Here's mine:-
http://184.72.239.143/mu/ca7c4bfd-85cd-bf25.jpg

This is the turbo kit i am saving up for btw:-

http://184.72.239.143/mu/ca7c4bfd-860b-091b.jpg

I became power addicted after a ride in my bro in law's stage 3+ A4 B6 1.8TQ. My car feels soo slow :(

As said, my biggest headache is software/tune. My ECU code is 558 DA and none of the VAG has come back to me for a solution. I've been suggested to use a unichip but I would still have a problem of not being able to run a bigger MAF which I think the unichip would not solve.

Someone proposed to me to buy off ECUs from US with codes that ends with 558N or 558T as they may plug in to my harness but I was told I need to get it recoded by Audi or something to be able to use it?

Cheers

Jmac
08-01-2011, 10:08 PM
I might have an answer for that mate, i do Superchips so like APR, Giac etc we only cater for "ecu file match tunes" and do stage upgrades but what your looking at will req something different as in a live " tuneable " tune so ill pm you with my thoughts,
Cheers
Jmac

cylinderhead
09-01-2011, 09:44 AM
I might have an answer for that mate, i do Superchips so like APR, Giac etc we only cater for "ecu file match tunes" and do stage upgrades but what your looking at will req something different as in a live " tuneable " tune so ill pm you with my thoughts,
Cheers
Jmac

Thanks for that mate. Been having headaches for the power upgrade for the ignition and fuel control for my car. Someone even asked me to sell my car for a B6 and at some point i was having doubts of going big turbo because of this.

Bloke from NZ is also assisting me on this as well as he successfully installed and tuned a haltech on an MTM Audi A4. Difference is it's a full standalone installation. I still want the Bosch ECU to handle A/C control etc.
Whats worries me with this is a bloke in Sydney piggyback'ed the Bosch ECU with a haltech PS1000 had trouble with idle and pulled out the whole ECU and ran standalone.

Another suggestion was to find a used ECU with GIAC P16 file, designed for GT2871R.

I think if I would be able to achieve that, it will be a good thing up for cable'ed VAG cars.

PeDiES
09-01-2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the reply guys.

Ah, my bad. I knew the AJL and AEB's power output.

Jmac, the AJL has slightly bigger port than the AEB? That's a good start :D
I've rebuilt my own K03 but part number doesn't say it's the K03S as most people had thought so. Here's mine:-

the "k03s" is just a name given to the slighty bigger k03 taken from a b6 s line, its not the official name just a given nickname.

also AEB motors have a 20mm gudgeon pin (AMU as well i think) instead of a 19mm

PeDiES
09-01-2011, 02:06 PM
p16 is a k04 file not designed for gt turbos, altough they make a file for those GIAC - Software Programs (http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=265)

altough hardware must be pretty specific

cylinderhead
09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
the "k03s" is just a name given to the slighty bigger k03 taken from a b6 s line, its not the official name just a given nickname.

also AEB motors have a 20mm gudgeon pin (AMU as well i think) instead of a 19mm

Yeah it's just a nickname given. Doubt anyone could remember the full part number of the upgraded "K03S". To my knowledge it has a K04 cold side, and retains the hot side.

Would be amazed if anyone could come up and confirm they have a "K03S" on their AJL.

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong but the only engine code I know with the 058 block would be the AEB and AJL. Being a noob with VAG stuff, I would assume all 058 based block have 20mm gudgeon pin. Only way to find out is when I strip my engine down for hardware upgrades.

cylinderhead
09-01-2011, 05:19 PM
p16 is a k04 file not designed for gt turbos, altough they make a file for those GIAC - Software Programs (http://www.giacusa.com/programs.php?mpid=265)

altough hardware must be pretty specific

I just plucked that P16 file info from the turbo kit maker from US ie psiconcepts. He just mentioned to me that GIAC makes
em and vaguely remembered it being the P16 file.