PDA

View Full Version : So, just how concerned should I be? (low oil after 6000kms)

OzPara
28-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi!

I came across this forum when I was searching the 'net for info about my Superb Elegance - lot's of useful info here and friendly helpful advice.

I've had my MY09 since September and have been really happy with it (after sorting out some "misunderstandings with the dealer"). Beautiful car, handles well, comfortable, and stylish (essential for my wife :) ). That is, until the other night when the oil warning light started coming on - pulled in to a service station and checked the dipstick to find the oil level was at the minimum level! Now, I know it had a full load when I took delivery (I checked), so now I'm a bit concerned about where all the oil is going? I haven't had a chance to check for leaks (nothing obvious on the driveway), and the car isn't driven hard - we get an avg consumption of 7.8 (another reason to be happy!). Of course, being Christmas, I can't get a hold of Skoda or the dealer, so I haven't driven the car since and will have to get Roadside Assist to come out.

Has anyone else had issues with the oil levels after such low kms? One reason I bought a Skoda was because of the lower TCO and longer service intervals - so I won't be too happy if I need to top up the oil every few thousand klicks!

Thanks,
Paul

dru
28-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Someone else will need to confirm, but I have read that the engines throughout the skoda range actually use quite a bit of oil in the running in period due to some low friction parts that are used, also people suggest to check your oil level everytime you fill the car with petrol. Apparently as the kms get higher, the oil consumption gets alot lower.

As I said, someone else will need to confirm for your model but thats what I have read previously on some skoda forums.

Transporter
28-12-2010, 12:36 PM
It's perfectly OK almost all VAG engines will use some oil during running in period. All you need to top up is probably 500ml-750ml. Do not overfill. The oil consumption should slow down after 15,000km

:)

brad
28-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Some oil consumption (up to 1 litre per 1000km, which would scare the life out of me) is normal during the first 30,000km. You really should be checking the level at least every 2nd fill up (1500-2000km) until you get a feel for how quickly the tide is going out. You can buy 504/507 oil at the popular auto stores (Supercheap, Autobarn, Auto1) - Shell Helix Ultra Plus is the most common. You can even top up with 502 (Castrol Edge 5w-30 is common & cheap).

To my surprise, my 1.8TSI didn't/doesn't use any oil but I think it was run-in under ideal conditions. If my wife was driving it in her daily traffic jam, it probably would have gone through oil like a mofo.

OzPara
28-12-2010, 08:42 PM
All sorted - thanks for the replies!

K1W1
28-12-2010, 09:19 PM
It's perfectly OK almost all VAG engines will use some oil during running in period.

It's not just a VAG thing it's a trait of European enegines generally in my experience. All our BMW's have used oil to a greater or lesser degree during their lives.

Transporter
28-12-2010, 09:24 PM
It's not just a VAG thing it's a trait of European enegines generally in my experience. All our BMW's have used oil to a greater or lesser degree during their lives.

To be more precise, where ever they use 5W30 or even lower viscosity oils in a brand new engines to pass the emission test.

Ozsko
28-12-2010, 09:51 PM
My Superb TDI has 9000 km on it and has never used any or at least any detectable amount on the dipstick, it has been driven hard and done lots of towing from day one so that may explain it. The rings need the turbo boost to bed in properly against the bores or so I have been told.

Ocy_RS_TDi_Kombi
29-12-2010, 07:10 AM
My Octavia RS TDi has 35+k on it now and bearly uses any oil. It's done nearly 10 trips from Melb to Mildura and back (roughly 1,100km return) and it's used for towing too. From day one I have driven it normally with no run inperiod. The only thing I do is not thrash it until the engine is warm as I know engines don't like this.

On the other hand we are driving my sister inlaws Merc C250 sedan at moment (1.8 turbo petrol) whilst there on holidays and it has 20k on it. It blows oil smoke on startup every 2 or 3 starts when cold (lots of smoke at times) and the oil light came on today. Have to take it to the dealer for a top up of oil cause they will be fixing the motor at the next service and they know it uses oil.

Just shows it doesn't matter what car you buy some will have problems and others won't.

Cheers

CanberravRS
30-12-2010, 08:55 PM
Have to say, the 3.6lt V6 in my Superb has not used a drop yet.. at nearly 4000klms already... and nothing. Saying that though all my previous Euro cars, 1983 323 BMW Alpina, 1993 BMW 325 E36, 2003 Mini Cooper S and the late 2007 Octavia vRS all used about 750ml between services. My jeep never used a drop, but dripped it, and every one of the 10 or so Subaru's I rallied or owned leaked oil like a colander draining lettuce.

Every engine made will use some oil, its impossible for them not to over the servicing period.. If your using 1lt or more per 5000k without leaks is the time to worry! under that.. its par for the course.

Ozsko
31-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Every engine made will use some oil

And usually replaced with fuel dilution so the level appears not to change. That is why if you take a car driven in traffic for its daily use out into the bush and give it a good long trip the oil appears to get used very fast. The motor gets hot and stays hot long enough to vaporise the fuel in the oil. How many times have you heard someone say it only uses oil on a long trip? My car never sees traffic, only once in a fortnight maybe, does long trips everyday on country roads and yet the oil level has not moved by reading the dipstick, a crude way of keeping track of it but it is effective. I am surprised the Skoda oil level cannot be checked on the dash like other European cars.