PDA

View Full Version : Rear "spoiler" - Mounting Screws?

Wand Weaver
13-05-2007, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know how the "spoiler" over the rear windscreen is mounted?

I can't seem to locate any screws on the underside of the hatch or within the assembly of the "spoiler" itself, either.

I ask because I noticed recently that the left hand side seems a little more securely fastened than the right hand side. If I can, I'd like to tighten things up a little. The piece itself is still securely fastened as far as I can see - there's no danger of it falling off.

shaneth
13-05-2007, 05:24 PM
Not sure about this car but on my last one i had to pull apart the trim that surrounded the window on the inside and the screws where there. Sorry if this doesnt help.

Wand Weaver
13-05-2007, 05:45 PM
Nah, that's cool - I'm not sure if it isn't glue actually on second thoughts.

It'll just go as something for the dealer to 'look at' when the car goes in for service at the end of the year (unless it gets worse).

Gotta love those yearly servicing intervals :D

VEEDUB69
13-05-2007, 10:25 PM
Nah, that's cool - I'm not sure if it isn't glue actually on second thoughts.

It'll just go as something for the dealer to 'look at' when the car goes in for service at the end of the year (unless it gets worse).

Gotta love those yearly servicing intervals :D

You hit the nail on the head Wand Weaver, I believe most spoilers nowadays are actually glued on with super-strength soluble adhesive. Btw, only had my Polo a few weeks but I noticed the Dealership put next service sticker on at 7,500 klms as they recommend doing it to the Polo GTI (oil change etc.) but they said after the 15,000 that once a year is fine, what do you reckon? Trying to rip me off or worthwhile?

Guy_H
14-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Glued on.....

Wand Weaver
14-05-2007, 03:44 PM
Btw, only had my Polo a few weeks but I noticed the Dealership put next service sticker on at 7,500 klms as they recommend doing it to the Polo GTI (oil change etc.) but they said after the 15,000 that once a year is fine, what do you reckon? Trying to rip me off or worthwhile?

My dealership's got 15,000km written on the sticker, and the date's a year to the day from the date of purchase.

That being said - I'm monitoring my oil levels and condition pretty regularly, as well as the levels of the other fluids under the bonnet. If they start visibly deteriorating (especially if the oil starts going 'lumpy'), I'll send it in early. While it's true that you can't actually assess the condition of engine oil by looking at it - I prefer to err on the side of caution. Generally, with moderate use, oil only visibly starts going 'black and lumpy' at around 9-12 months anyway, longer than the 6 month servicing intervals of most manufacturers.

The most important thing, I believe - is to keep an eye on your oil level!

Timbo
14-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Oil and filters are about the cheapest part of vehicle maintenance, so I certainly favour every 7,500k

awestonvp
14-05-2007, 06:42 PM
I agree, I got my oil changed at 5000kms (chipped GTI, driven hard...), mechanic said oil he took out was a bit dark. I'd rather be on the safe side, especially the first oil change. Going to change it every 10,000 so next one will be dealer.

VEEDUB69
14-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Do youse reckon its legal to put on a 7,500 klms service sticker when its supposed to be 15,000? The manual does say if driven in harsh/dusty conditions, where I live in the outer west of melbourne it is quite dry n dusty. If I take it in at 15,000 are they gonna void my warranty or something? :mad:

robbo7444
05-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Has anyone managed to remove their std rear spoiler yet, can anyone confirm if its glued on??
I've decided it does actually look funny and would prefer if it wasnt there.
looks a little trickky tho...

searched couldnt find anything tho

mikepologti
05-03-2009, 06:26 PM
guy said it was glued on. not to brown nose , but if anyone was to know , it would be him.

Bubu
05-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Removing the spoiler dosent help with aerodynamics. The spoiler is there to prevent turbulence and low pressure air pockets.

Hatch back cars have always had a problem with this. Ever notice how the rear hatch manages to collect a lot of dust. Its not so bad on the Polo but I have had other hatch backs that collect even more.

You can see a bit in this photo where the air after the spoiler starts to get a bit turbulent. That gets worse if you remove the rear spoiler.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2009/03/windtunnel01-1.jpg

Joe Chu
05-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Guy is right, it's bloody glued on!! All VW's are glued on, have done plenty of high mount stop lights due to water ingress while in warranty. Have to cut it off not a nice job at all.

mikepologti
06-03-2009, 12:05 AM
wow , so the spoiler really does work on these cars. truth be told i thaught it would be for asthetics only.

leasaunce
06-03-2009, 11:04 PM
^need to take off the plastic covering of the trunk. and the spoiler is not glued on. IF its probably 3M double sided tape anyway...

shaneth
06-03-2009, 11:15 PM
^need to take off the plastic covering of the trunk. and the spoiler is not glued on. IF its probably 3M double sided tape anyway...

Have you actually taken one off yourself.

RoSonic
08-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Has anyone managed to remove their std rear spoiler yet, can anyone confirm if its glued on??
I've decided it does actually look funny and would prefer if it wasnt there.
looks a little trickky tho...

searched couldnt find anything tho

from the workshop manual:

Joe Chu
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
OK I have taken plenty of roof spoilers off when I was at VW, Its not always what they say in the manual. The adhesive tape is actually silkaflex, we refit with 3M double sided tape. Not one spoiler that I have removed was stuck on with tape. Done plenty of High mount stop lights for water ingress.