PDA

View Full Version : I want everything

maybe
13-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Hi lads. Drove a Sportsline 2.0 Tdi and was impressed with its grunt and style.Perhaps not so with the the slight understeer (the car was driven enthusiastically but not recklessly). I want to buy one of these but due to the many klms I will probably do the ride was a bit harsh.
So here's my dilemma.Am I being too fussy wanting a bit more handling with a softer ride or ......... Yes you can say it "Wake up to yourself mate you can't have both".
Cheers and thanks for all the the advice given in previous threads.
Maybe.

Transporter
13-05-2007, 09:45 AM
Hi lads. Drove a Sportsline 2.0 Tdi and was impressed with its grunt and style.Perhaps not so with the the slight understeer (the car was driven enthusiastically but not recklessly). I want to buy one of these but due to the many klms I will probably do the ride was a bit harsh.
So here's my dilemma.Am I being too fussy wanting a bit more handling with a softer ride or ......... Yes you can say it "Wake up to yourself mate you can't have both".
Cheers and thanks for all the the advice given in previous threads.
Maybe.

Here are my findings.

Before making final decision to by Golf V 2.0L TDi DSG in April/2007 I took for road test following cars:

MB B Class 180 CDi 7 speed CVT
It was quaiet, good handling, not as powerfull as Golf 2.0L TDi and at least $10,000 more, not sure would have better fuel economy and more expensive to insure.

Audi A3 2.0L TDi DSG
Same as Golf exept Noise level from that sport suspenssion and lower profile tyres, honestly uncomfortable since Adelaide roads are terrible. More expensive.

Peugeot 307 HDi 2.0L Auto Station Wagon.
Very noisy rear suspenssion.

Honda CRV 2007 Auto.
Drives and feel worst than model before.

To me Golf V was the best option available untill today.

REDMKVGTI
13-05-2007, 10:02 AM
I dont think there is really a better option out there if you want good styling, and the golf quality.

I think you'll also find that good handling and firmer ride go hand in hand.

Babee J
13-05-2007, 01:19 PM
The Golf TDI is definately the best option... Having test driven the TDI, I have to say my experience indicates that the ride is quite soft.

Then again, I drove 35,000kms in a lowered S15 with 19inch low profile tyres in one year so perhaps my opinion is a little slanted.

Good luck though! ;)

JP_Aircooled_TDi
13-05-2007, 05:55 PM
Perhaps you could go a 2TDi Comfortline and put on a nice set of 17s.

This way you could have the softer ride the Comfortline suspension gives, but not the flex and bend of the crappy 15 inch cheese cutters (not to mention the 17s will give you better grip through corners from a wider tyre).

Buy whatever car you like - just as long as it's a MkV 2TDi (not that I'm biased or anything :D )

Anyway, your choice. Just my 2c :)

maybe
13-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I think your on the right track JP, I'll go for a run in a Comfortline and feel the difference in ride and handling from the Sportsline. Ofcourse I don't expect the Comfortline to handle quite as well but if I was to get a Comfortline 2.0 TDI I,m sure with the right tyre,wheel,and tyre pressures I could get a great ride and handling as well.One can only hope to get a good price as well to make it that much more exciting.

brackie
14-05-2007, 06:39 AM
I think that the Comfortline will suit you. For a mainstream model it handles very, very well ;) Here in country Tassie I put it to the test on hairpin bends, hills, rough roads etc every day and it passes admirably.

gtimk5
14-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Possibly the only down thing about some of the Mk5s is the seats. Compared to the GTi they can be a little ordinary?
Cheers, Andrew :)