PDA

View Full Version : New in VW camp, need help

macdub
21-12-2010, 03:20 PM
Hello All,
I am a newbie in VW camp. I have never owned VW before. Just over a year ago I bought Dualis as I thought it was a very practical car. Well it is but now I am just bored of the mediocre driving performance. Previously I've owned 97 AUDI A4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, yaris (first car didn't have much money). I drive tested new polo 77tsi for a friend and I was just blown away by the ride and engine just so small. The DSG was awsome. I asked the question if 77kw would be like this what would be like in polo gti with 132kw. Now I dont want space, gadgets, luxury. I will compromise everything for better ride. We are young couple and I was thinking of getting 5dr polo gti as it falls below 35k. Having used big cars, it might be very impractical decision but I am very tempted. Its very well priced i think. I want to get rid off dualis now and get into gti. Also, I like candy white but none available and have to wait for a long time. There are few red ones available. And thinking of getting red just to get it early. Does the red hold resale value? have never owned red vehicle before.
Please suggest if I am on the right track. Any help is appreciated.

team_v
21-12-2010, 03:24 PM
Hello All,
I am a newbie in VW camp. I have never owned VW before. Just over a year ago I bought Dualis as I thought it was a very practical car. Well it is but now I am just bored of the mediocre driving performance. Previously I've owned 97 AUDI A4, Chrysler PT Cruiser, yaris (first car didn't have much money). So far, all the car decisions disappointed me big time. All cars had mediocre handling and no enjoyment while driving. I drive tested new polo 77tsi for a friend and I was just blown away by the ride and engine just so small. The DSG was awsome. I asked the question if 77kw would be like this what would be like in polo gti with 132kw. Now I am so frustrated that I dont want space, gadgets, luxury. I will compromise everything for better ride. We are young couple and I was thinking of getting 5dr polo gti as it falls below 35k. Having used big cars, it might be very impractical decision (may have kids in next 1-2 yrs) but I am very tempted. Its very well priced i think. I want to get rid off dualis now and get into gti. Also, I like candy white but none available and have to wait for a long time. There are few red ones available. And thinking of getting red just to get it early. Does the red hold resale value? have never owned red vehicle before.
Please suggest if I am on the right track. Will be loosing lot of money for breaking my lease on dualis but just dont want to get into it after looking at VW.
Any help is appreciated.

If you can stretch for a Polo GTI i would as you get a lot of equipment as standard.
If not go the 77TSI and APR is working on a remap to bump it up close to the 100kw mark i believe.

The polo is quite small so i would reccommend taking a family along to see if it will be suitable for your needs in the near future.

Let us know what you end up doing.

pologti18t
21-12-2010, 08:37 PM
If you can stretch for a Polo GTI i would as you get a lot of equipment as standard.
If not go the 77TSI and APR is working on a remap to bump it up close to the 100kw mark i believe.

The polo is quite small so i would reccommend taking a family along to see if it will be suitable for your needs in the near future.

Let us know what you end up doing.

The other point is that the GTIs boot is about 10cm shallower than the 1.2TSI. It makes the boot quite small actually.

Ralfi
21-12-2010, 09:51 PM
The other point is that the GTIs boot is about 10cm shallower than the 1.2TSI. It makes the boot quite small actually.

& it's smaller than the current GTI, by a fair amount as well. Considering they have a space saving spare in the new model, I would've thought the boot was going to be at least equal size.....having the battery in the back took care of that theory...

Puffy
21-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a young family also and contemplating the GTi. Even though not to be the primary family car it would be nice if the boot was at least big enough to fit the pram on the odd occasion.

You may really miss that coming from a dualis.

macdub
22-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah I compared the specs and boot is smaller compared to normal polo. I am really confused. Would you guys suggest buying used gold 118TSI? That will get me bigger car at the same price but will loose the GTI tag which I am desperate to own and drive. One can't have everything I guess :(

team_v
22-12-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah I compared the specs and boot is smaller compared to normal polo. I am really confused. Would you guys suggest buying used gold 118TSI? That will get me bigger car at the same price but will loose the GTI tag which I am desperate to own and drive. One can't have everything I guess :(

I wouldn't go a 118 as they had the engine problem recall.
Maybe go a 90tsi?