PDA

View Full Version : Corrado 1990 4 sale in New Zealand

aussieg60
10-01-2006, 03:37 PM
I thought I would post an ad from New Zealand as there seems to be Corrado's that may be imported to Oz if anybody is interested for a good price.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=44357933&key=208412

imported_brackie
10-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I thought I would post an ad from New Zealand as there seems to be Corrado's that may be imported to Oz if anybody is interested for a good price.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=44357933&key=208412
What do you mean "Corrado's that may be imported to Oz"?? Is there some sort of trade agreement with NZ that we don't know about? This car is a 1990 so it would have to jump through all of the ADR hoops (etc). Could turn out to be a very expensive 1990 car. As has been explained in other threads the fact that Corrados are on the SEVS list doesn't really mean a thing as there's no registered workshop over here to do the necessaries. Very frustrating!! :evil: (not having a go at you, Mate...It's just that this importing thing really get to me!)

Golf Loon
10-01-2006, 06:34 PM
And the other stich up is that it costs the same to import a car from NZ as it does from the UK :oops:

OEM G60
10-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Yeah, VW sold about 15 or so Corrado's in NZ, slightly different spec awell. Theres a guy on the UK Corrado forum who has one in NZ ........

But as Brackie said, you'd still have to own it for a year over there, then get compilance etc ...... mine wasn't all that cheap !!

syncro
10-01-2006, 06:59 PM
New Zealand=No Salt on roads.

Cheaper to buy it and leave it in NZ and just fly over every couple of months for a fang around the island :idea:

peter_j_g
10-01-2006, 10:04 PM
For the two Audis I have imported to Australia over the years on both occasions I had to prove that I was with and using the vehicles for the required period. Leaving a car in another country and returning to Australia and collecting it later doesn't count unfortunately...

aussieg60
11-01-2006, 06:30 PM
I guess you guys are not as interested and not serious about Rado's as I thought you may be. I wont post any more here.

OEM G60
11-01-2006, 07:02 PM
I think a lot of people here are very serious about Rados, most of them have already looked into what your idea was and have given up hope of getting one.
I've had plenty of PM's (and people on the strrees!!) from people wanting one and asking how i got mine over.

i'd already seen those ads so i reckon i'm more serious than you !! :lol:

Now hows that G60 motor coming along ??

imported_brackie
12-01-2006, 05:40 AM
I guess you guys are not as interested and not serious about Rado's as I thought you may be. I wont post any more here.
No, Keep posting items of interest. At the very least you stir up comment and debate and that's good! Anyway, we all get to drool over cars that the government just won't let us have!

What do you reckon it would take to have the legislation changed to allow enthusiasts like us to bring in cars that were never available in Oz? Any members got legal or political experience in this area?

Golf Loon
12-01-2006, 08:03 AM
If Corrados are on the SEVS list, what work would need to be done to them to get compliance? Surely they would exceed all Aussie ADRs.

G60JAY
13-01-2006, 09:34 AM
Don't give up on the corrado's. You never know, they might change the laws again.

Gold-mk1
14-01-2006, 03:10 AM
Ok, in simple terms ( for a very tired person whos been up for 20 hours ) what exactly is the problem with importing cars to Aus ?

In the Uk, as long as you can prove that it isn't stolen, and you pay the relevant taxes and duty, you can bring in what you like..

a '70's Ford Falcon XB GT sedan for example, never sold here. No problem to import.....actually...can anyone get me one !? :D

syncro
14-01-2006, 07:18 AM
Basically it is not allowed!
If it is allowed they make it hard for you!
Our cars have to comply with "Australian Design Rules" which is our standards and is different to your standards and everyone elses standards.

One difference is child restraints. Our cars have to have special Australia only child restraint mounting points as our children are a different shape to your children. Our 1990/91 Golf GTIs had a bar across the back suspension towers for this purpose.

Golf 2s pre '89 do not comply because of the wipers parking on the wrong side. Our Golf 1 doors are different and we have really gutless engines.

Golf Loon
14-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Golf 2s pre '89 do not comply because of the wipers parking on the wrong side. Our Golf 1 doors are different and we have really gutless engines.

Post 86 ones park on the correct side 8)

OEM G60
17-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Mine only needed the child seat anchor points to be made compliant to ADR's. And a bit of surface rust treatment underneath.
According to the guys who done it, it was the only Corrado in NSW so it had to go to a weighbridge and the dimensions were recorded.
Also at the RTA the Corrado didn't show up on their system, since registering mine its now on there.

The tricky part was valueing it for customs clearance GST. It cost me a bit but could of been worse if another valuer had delt with it.

It is a tough system though, i agree on one hand that you don't want loads of ****boxes brought into the country but then again with something like the Corrado only needing child seat anchors then i don't see why an Australian citezen or resident shouldn't be allowed.

We're only talking about a minority of people wanting to do this anyway so i think they should just be strict on whats allowed in, and maybe be made compliant overseas.
The government are making plenty of $$ out of imports anyway.

evorobin
17-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Your car was a personal import. Completely different set of ADR's for importing a car normally. It is a bit of a gamble as no one has brought one in without living overseas first!

OEM G60
17-01-2006, 06:57 PM
I know the ADR's are different, just don't see why you have to own a car overseas before being allowed to bring it in as a personal import.

If the car is safe and good enough for the roads then whats the problem ?

Gold-mk1
17-01-2006, 08:21 PM
One difference is child restraints. Our cars have to have special Australia only child restraint mounting points as our children are a different shape to your children. Our 1990/91 Golf GTIs had a bar across the back suspension towers for this purpose.

LMAO at the children....i always wondered why my 7 cousins looked a bit odd.. :D

Wipers don't park on the " correct " side ? WTF !?!?!? :?:

imported_brackie
18-01-2006, 05:33 AM
LMAO
What does this mean?

Wipers don't park on the " correct " side ? WTF !?!?!? :?:
Lots of official imports were like this. My old Audi is a good example. Didn't make much difference to visibilty! But back to child restraints....The ADR is a good thing.

syncro
18-01-2006, 06:23 AM
The child restraints on my private import Golf 2 was just a bolt through a tab of sheetmetal above the tail lights. And this was passed by an engineer!

The wipers on my '86 were disgusting until I changed it to GTI wipers.

How many people here still have the child restraints bar on their Golf 2?
How many people here know where the child restraints are on a Golf 1?

Golf Loon
18-01-2006, 06:57 AM
Lots of cars didn`t have the wipers swopped over.

Child restraints are the responsibility of the parent. I have put lots of bolts into cars for child seats, even into aussie cars.

syncro
18-01-2006, 07:43 AM
Lots of cars didn`t have the wipers swopped over.

VW couldn't get compliance without it.

Child restraints are the responsibility of the parent. I have put lots of bolts into cars for child seats, even into aussie cars.

That's illegal in Australia. You have a knowledge of mechanical things and a bit of reasoning sense. There are a lot of dipsticks out there! That is why you're not allowed to do it yourself and the instructions come with the car for good reason.

Golf Loon
18-01-2006, 07:54 AM
I reckon me puttting a solid plate under the metal and a bolt through it is a lot stronger than some of the flimsy mounting points I see. Its a precious cargo we are safeguarding.

As is anyone is ever gonna check a safety aspect of a car in Oz. Surely the police are all sitting on the freeway giving out tickets to those doing 121kph.

syncro
18-01-2006, 09:09 AM
I reckon me puttting a solid plate under the metal and a bolt through it is a lot stronger than some of the flimsy mounting points I see.

Yes, but you used common sense. A lot of idiots would just put it in with a self tapper! Have a look at some of the mods on your old Golfs done by previous owners.

As is anyone is ever gonna check a safety aspect of a car in Oz. Surely the police are all sitting on the freeway giving out tickets to those doing 121kph.

Very true until something happens.

All cars in NSW since about '76 are required to have child restraint mounting points including personal imports.

evorobin
18-01-2006, 09:18 AM
Yes but you can buy the anchor points for $12 from a merc garage. The point is that side intrusion bars that have to be passed by an engineer etc are gonna cost big dollars. Who knows what else has to be done....

syncro
18-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Yes but you can buy the anchor points for $12 from a merc garage. The point is that side intrusion bars that have to be passed by an engineer etc are gonna cost big dollars. Who knows what else has to be done....

Child restraint mounting points must be passed by an engineer. The mounting points are on all Australian cars since about '76.

Golf 1s are welded to the roof, Golf 2s have a bar between the rear suspension towers.

Golf Loon
18-01-2006, 11:07 AM
Have a look at some of the mods on your old Golfs done by previous owners.

Amen to that. I could write a book on shonky aussie "fixes"

syncro
18-01-2006, 11:43 AM
Have a look at some of the mods on your old Golfs done by previous owners.

Amen to that. I could write a book on shonky aussie "fixes"

If you think Golf owners are bad, have a look at some Kombis!
First thing that you do when you buy a Kombi is get the Black & Decker out :shock:

ausgolfer
01-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Having just read through this lot, would be good to fire it up again.

Ok I now understand getting a car registered will be a problem. Owing to Child restraint points and side intrusion bars etc. (by the way Syncro my personal import mk2 also has 3 high tensile bolts through the top of the tailgate aperture)

So getting it registered aside.
How difficult is it to get a vehicle into the country?? Even if one day you win the lottery and are able to get all the ADR's satisfied.

Also getting vehicles imported for racing purposes only etc? All the Jap importers I've been to usually have more than one car sitting around for racing purposes only and cannot be registered. Also I assume if you wanted to get a car imported under this blanket you could use it for parts. (I.e. get a syncro or rallye golf in for parts and convert your mk2 to 4wd)
I think there are a few syncro and rallye golfs floating around Asia. Surely I could ask a local Jap importer to check it out for me.

Jmac
26-08-2007, 09:37 PM
Im enjoying this thread i lie in bed awake for hours scheming of a way to get one over here from the UK. I served my apprenticeship on them and love em!! Im gonna get one one day hey. My fathers name is the same as mine and i have just came back from the uk from a holiday so to piece up my little jigsaw i have proof of being over there. A bit of this and that with reciepts and passport proof hehehe see what i mean cant stop thinkin about it.

GermanwithaVdub
27-08-2007, 03:52 PM
haha i reckon if anyone will pull it off it will be you... hopefully you're car doesnt get sent back once it gets here or even worse cubed... or even worse you sent back! i reckon that might be a goer... import a car for racing purposes and gut it and make a rallye out of a car already here? or maybe a vr6 rallye ;) ;) ;) ah im dreaming again

Jmac
27-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Hahaha thats gold mate!!! Great mind think alike

V8quattro
30-08-2007, 05:25 PM
That idea of getting a Corrado in from Japan is not a bad one... provided that you accept you'll never be able to legally register it. I don't know if one would be interesting enough to take to the track or rally with - or if you'd want to subject a nice car to that kind of treatment.

But if you really wanted a Corrado as a talking point in your garage or as you trailer it around, you could order one right now, no probs, and bring it in as a never to be registered race or rally car. You'll have it in your possession in less than 3 months, depending on shipping schedules ex-Japan.

I have seen some terrible used junk imported from o/seas and registered here, so can understand why DOTARS have taken the 'it's all too hard' angle and closed it down, but like you all I am disappointed they didn't persist with the 15-year rule. We could import 1992 models by now, if it had continued. It's that old adage, it only takes one to ruin it for everyone...

Go to the website below and register. It will be the worst thing you've ever done. You will see so many nice cars that have low kays and are dirt cheap but you will never own. Unless you're prepared to buy yourself a car trailer...
http://www.idirect.co.jp/

Jmac
30-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Om hearing ya buddy thanks for the feedback. But ill never give up mate even if i do use my father ( being he has the same name and all ) to come up with something before they all end up coca cola cans over there with the rust hey mate!! What a damn shame that would be. Just one more thing to consider, isnt it easier to import a vehicle if there is no such thing over here or ever was intended for our shores????? There is something about that isnt there??

OEM G60
30-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Is ypur father an Australian Citizen or Resident Jimmymac???

Jmac
30-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Im a citizen mate and my Dad is living in Scotland but we share the same name i know its a long shot. Ive had so many dubs man to have a very limited market now is hard but hey i love it here and wouldnt swap it for anything. Price you gotta pay i suppose.

bsting
01-09-2007, 12:09 PM
One of the best examples (if not the best) of a 16v rado in NZ is up for grabs, nothing to do to it except fill it with gas and go

Comes with the original 'Sebring' wheels too

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=116215941