PDA

View Full Version : Bike rack without towbars (Strap/clipon type)

dave_r
20-12-2010, 10:21 AM
The missus has decided to take up riding and much to her annoyance hehe, her bike is too big to fit in the Polo, plus its fairly awkward. Roof racks won't work because she's short and the bike is heavy as fark.

I remember seeing cars with racks that were strapped to the back of hatches and found a few here (http://www.roofrackcentre.com.au/bike_acc.asp?Position2=2&Mount2=2) for example.

Has anyone ever used one of these things before? If it's a bad idea, I'll just get her a new smaller/ligher bike that will fit in the back!

shakespeare
20-12-2010, 02:10 PM
I had one that I fitted to my SP23 and MPS 6, both sedans and the downsides for me were:

- The clips that attach to the side of the boot lid (or hatch) can scratch the paint with movement over bumps etc (I tried putting some pads there but there's not alot of clearance between the boot lid and body)

- The boot cannot be opened with the bikes on, more a pain with the MPS as the back seat didn't fold, even then you need to plan your boot packing prior to attaching the bikes

- The load limit, with 2 adult bikes and 1 child bike I felt was too much and it forces the lower bar onto the bumper which caused more paint rubs

- It takes too long to strap it up and attach then add the bikes and they recommend additional strapping (not included) to secure it all just in case something slips!

I wouldn't do it again, but thats just me :)

dave_r
20-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Good points there mate. The rubbing issue was high on my list of concerns which is why I was looking for experience.
Given their cost, might just get her to try and sell the current bike or donate it to charity and I'll get her a new one.

gareth_oau
20-12-2010, 04:07 PM
The saris bones is a work of art (to complement your choice of vehicle) and supposedly the world's best/best selling bikerack

Bones 3-Bike (http://www.saris.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images.tpl&product_id=20&category_id=7&vmcchk=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=57)

William_Foster
20-12-2010, 08:26 PM
I have the same problem (With the bike rack). I totally agree with the previous comments regarding the strap models and the associated rubbing; I have also had roof racks on new cars and found them to have similar problems (Nevermind the cleaning issues. For the Polo I am going the towball and Thule towball mount bike rack; as this can be quickly put on and off without damaging the paint work; plus the new Thule ones have a lowering mechanism built in that allow you full access to the boot even with bikes mounted. It isn't the cheapest option but having tried a lot of options in the past I think it is the best available at the moment. [By the way I think the VW rack parts are simply rebadged Thule parts; not 100% sure].

dave_r
21-12-2010, 11:19 AM
The saris bones is a work of art (to complement your choice of vehicle) and supposedly the world's best/best selling bikerack
Correct me if I'm wrong but they seem to be for sedan/boots rather than hatches and don't list the Polo. Regardless, off the idea now. I was picturing the missus trying to fit it and I suspect a lot of damage would be done just in fitment/removal let along usage.

For the Polo I am going the towball and Thule towball mount bike rack;
Out of interest, what is this costing you and do you have a link to the specific product you're going to use on the thule website?

kaanage
21-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I think the bones is designed so that the hatch can be lifted with the bikes still attached

Edit - No it isn't

William_Foster
21-12-2010, 07:44 PM
I haven't purchased or spoken to the dealer about it yet, given that the car isn't arriving for a few more months. But from everything I have read on the web there should be no problem. Towballs are standard, and this is the lightweight compact version, so it should fit.

There are many different designs on the web, I like this one because you can lock the bikes in:
Thule EuroWay G2 921 - Thule - Thule Bike Racks - Rack Bike Towbar (http://www.thule.com/en/AU/Products/BikeCarriers/Towbar/Thule%20EuroWay%20G2%20921.aspx)

dave_r
21-12-2010, 08:39 PM
Oh ok no problems, was just curious to see what sort of cost was involved. I suspect the missus would prefer the towbar/rack option so she could do her bike and a friends if they wanted to go for a ride somewhere but it means more outlay!

kao7ik
21-12-2010, 08:52 PM
Ive used a strap on (allen) rack for my MKV Golf. If you are after a cheap option and only transporting bikes locally then i guess its fine, but the downsides are a mentioned above.
I didnt find it hard strapping, and it was fairly quick
Rubbing would be one of the major issues as it does say in the booklet to clean the surface before mounting.

William_Foster
21-12-2010, 09:20 PM
The internet tells me it will cost around $600; but I am sure with a bit of shopping around you could get it for cheaper than that. Compare that to lockable Thule roof rack mounted stands and it is quite reasonable [Not sure how much the towball option on the Polo is; but I was getting that anyway].

From experience purchasing Thule items from Repco or other places is much cheaper than purchasing the rebranded, or in some cases the exact same items from car dealerships.

dave_r
22-12-2010, 07:31 AM
New bike it is :)

seangti
22-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Torpedo7.com (NZ site) and wiggle.co.uk have some great prices on riding related accessories, bike racks for boot and roof mounting included (not the roof racks as such though).

kaanage
22-12-2010, 03:13 PM
For the Polo I am going the towball and Thule towball mount bike rack; as this can be quickly put on and off without damaging the paint work; plus the new Thule ones have a lowering mechanism built in that allow you full access to the boot even with bikes mounted.

Bear in mind that the cost of the tow bar for a Polo (or any Volkswagen for that matter) is rather high (re: ASTRONOMICAL).

Also, I wonder how usable the tilt function is in real life as you would have to tilt it a fair way to clear the hatch's swing path. I'd want a demo with real bikes loaded on one if that was an important feature to you.

I'm now wonding if that "Invisible Car Bra" stuff can be applied to the contact points for a strap on rack.

New bike it is :)

:lmfao:

dave_r
23-12-2010, 08:24 AM
Roof racks, towbars, paint protection film.... blahhhh all too hard.

I'm definitely taking the lazy route. New bike for her birthday = 2 birds with 1 stone aka I win.