PDA

View Full Version : i found new rust :-(

GoLfMan
10-01-2006, 11:51 AM
i found some more rust in my car... in the front right wheel arch.. a big patch... OUCH :cry: :cry: :cry:

Golf Loon
10-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Under the Guard?
Have you checked the other side?
Do you know someone with a welder?

GoLfMan
10-01-2006, 07:43 PM
no rust on the other side.... thank god... its isolated. and also if you recall Loon that, that side wing also had a rust hole as the other one didnt, must be something to do with that side.
no i dont know anyone with a welder :( or the skills to fit and weld the steel :( and now its leaking radiator fluid aswell and i cant find where from. where will it end? :cry:

Rednut
10-01-2006, 11:21 PM
at the end of the leak i'd say..

GoLfMan
11-01-2006, 10:45 AM
lol yeh... i was thinkin instead of putting metal replacing the rust that im cutting out, get some fiberglass and get it shaped to fit. would this woork?

Golf Loon
11-01-2006, 03:17 PM
If its not structural, bog is ok. But welding is better. Or screw a sheet of metal over the hole, then fibreglss, then underbody sealer.

GoLfMan
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
yeh i getcha. but i was refering to phyberglass sheating... in leu of steel, its lighter and it wont rust again. can u picture the thing im talking bout looney?

Golf Loon
11-01-2006, 07:21 PM
Yeah I understand what you are saying, but its no good in a pillar, or chassis member or other structural part of the car. I have had a few Golfs that look ok and then you pull one bit of fibreglass and half the floor comes away :shock: Just make sure that you are getting rid of all the rust and not letting it breed underneath.

GoLfMan
11-01-2006, 10:27 PM
yes i will do all that. cheers looney. its not a pillar dont worry mate :) but yeh its undercover and i will cut away and fish oil. cheers again :)

silva1
24-01-2006, 06:53 PM
you should always treat rust with a good quality rust converter befoe doing any repair work, othe wise you are just wasting your time
ther are some really good car wash products available from 4 wheel drive places that are designed to prevent rust, I think that they are very alkaline in their nature( aswelL as other bits & peices) & therefor prevent oxidisation