PDA

View Full Version : 91 mk2 gti front end vibration??

cynanbrace
12-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Hello all hoping an old hand can help me out here? I've got a 91 mk2 gti and when i hit 40mph a low frequency vibration starts somewhere in the front end rising in pitch as the speed increases. I can feel the vibration through the pedals and the vibration is the same with the clutch in traveling at the aforementioned speed. Any thoughts would be much appreciated, thank you for your time.

Cy

anarchycamp
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
I recently bought my GTI of same year etc, noticed a similar thing, for me it was just the fact that the front bumper was loose and basically set everything else off as it started vibrating when hitting bumps or wind resistance, tightened a few things up and seems ok now.

Not sure if this is the same issue for you though.

joshyd-mk2gti
12-05-2007, 01:59 PM
engine mounts could be shot..?

antinora
12-05-2007, 03:28 PM
how expensive are the engine mounts to fix ?

syncro
12-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Sounds like tyres gone square.

cynanbrace
12-05-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey All,
engine mounts are all new so it won't be that....squared tyre?????I don't know what that one means????

it is i bit on the bald side though...

golfmeup
13-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Might be worn CV joints, when my CV joint went on one side I was getting some weird vibrations. Hard to tell without driving it.

Good luck, it shouldnt be too serious, nothing ever is on the MKII, they are such a tough little car.

h100vw
13-05-2007, 10:24 AM
I have had a few tyres go out of round even with loads of tread left. The steering wheel shakes all the time. It feels the same as when your discs have warped but you don't need to be on the brakes to feel it.

Could be that a balance weight has come off. You should also check the subframe mounting bolts are all done up.

Bad CV joints usually show up during full lock turns at parking speeds. Drive in circles on full lock an note if there's any clicking.

Engine mounts usually give out clunks when going on and off the power. Front mount is a 10 minute job if you have a trolley jack.

Gavin

Tulyar
13-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Have come across a number of sets of CV joints doing this but not displaying the usual full lock symptoms that Gavin is referring to. The one thing they all had in common is that they had done around the 110,000 miles mark when it started. Generally it started at 80mph and as it became worse the vibration would cut in at lower and lower speeds. The only evidence I found was to look at the bearings under a magnifying glass and you could see the pitting in the surface. Only other related symptom with this Ive come across is very slight play in taking drive up from stationary.

Have come across a few friends that swore blind the noise was coming from the front and it turned out to be either a rear wheel bearing or square rear tyres! Swapping wheels front to rear is a quick test to confim the latter!!

:-)

Square front tyres are normally noticeable at much lower speeds than 40mph in my experience.

static1800
13-05-2007, 11:47 AM
im having a similar problem atm also, i get a steering vibration at around 100kays, comes up through into the steering wheel feels as though its the right front wheel. I need new front tyres anyway, but i thing my wheel balance is really bad also.

When i turn say into a parking spot at low speeds i get a knock sound from the front end, is that cv's?

86gti
13-05-2007, 12:35 PM
sounds like a wheel balance problem....switch you fronts to the rear and see what it does.
if it fixes it get the others balanced....also look for fractures in the tyre sidewall..that will also make em vibrate,

h100vw
13-05-2007, 05:18 PM
The normal test for a CV joint would be to put it under the most pressure. This would be whilst at an extreme angle ie under full lock.

I had one fall apart on my MK1 whilst on full lock. A new one did clear a slight wobble whilst going straight ahead but under any lock it was sounding awful.

Gavin

zjm
14-05-2007, 07:20 PM
you forgot to mention if the sound goes away when airborne

cynanbrace
14-05-2007, 08:35 PM
Have come across a number of sets of CV joints doing this but not displaying the usual full lock symptoms that Gavin is referring to. The one thing they all had in common is that they had done around the 110,000 miles mark when it started. Generally it started at 80mph and as it became worse the vibration would cut in at lower and lower speeds. The only evidence I found was to look at the bearings under a magnifying glass and you could see the pitting in the surface. Only other related symptom with this Ive come across is very slight play in taking drive up from stationary.

Have come across a few friends that swore blind the noise was coming from the front and it turned out to be either a rear wheel bearing or square rear tyres! Swapping wheels front to rear is a quick test to confim the latter!!

:-)

Square front tyres are normally noticeable at much lower speeds than 40mph in my experience.

Hello All,
Thank you for your various suggestions.....we have a winner.....cv joint
got the car with 110000 miles on the clock now (112500) very loud vibration at lower and lower speeds and crunching/clunking at full lock......
Latest in a continuing saga....shocks, clutch, ecu because of clutch (fuel poured out the air intake and filled up sump; exhaust full of oil-smoked like a b*tch>>got pulled over by the cops!!!) still.....lovely little car :)

Cheers Cy

p.s. The ecu code for my 91' was 037 906 022 DB all i could get was 037 906 022 N....it seems to work fine...is that gonna be a problem?