PDA

View Full Version : Debadging the Polo GTI

vvt172
07-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking of debadging it when I get my car, just to keep everyone guessing when I drive around. It'll be the ultimate sleeper car. Those Holdens won't know what hit em!

Is it easy to do? and is it easy to stick back on again?

noone
07-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Sure, I have. Fishing line to remove the badge, then something for the remaining glue.

Jasonpb
07-12-2010, 10:48 AM
Yup fishing line works well, you could always try asking if they could not install the badges if your car is being built.

Hooti3
07-12-2010, 11:46 AM
When do you actually get your car?

Might be worth thinking about it some more. Most people will look at in say "Ohh look a little hatchback"...then BAM!

I don't see the point really, but each to their own.

team_v
07-12-2010, 12:30 PM
Debadge it, it will look great, my car looks awesome with a clean rear now.

Best bet is fishing line in a sawing motion (left then right while pulling down from the top)
Then scraping the glue off with an old plastic card or very hot water and some dishwashing detergent.

Billecartz
07-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Don't use a plastic card if you like your paint unscratched!

I have debadged and rebadged my car and all you need to do with the residue is rub it gently with your thumb and then polish off the residual.

Debadge it, it will look great, my car looks awesome with a clean rear now.

Best bet is fishing line in a sawing motion (left then right while pulling down from the top)
Then scraping the glue off with an old plastic card or very hot water and some dishwashing detergent.

triode12
07-12-2010, 01:41 PM
The easiest and safest way to remove adhesive residue is to get a bottle of Goo Gone or Orange oil from your local Woolies/Bunnings/Autostore. I use it all the time to remove the residue left over from old rego stickers.

Goo Gone Cleaners | (http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.aspx)

dave_r
07-12-2010, 01:59 PM
The easiest and safest way to remove adhesive residue is to get a bottle of Goo Gone or Orange oil from your local Woolies/Bunnings/Autostore. I use it all the time to remove the residue left over from old rego stickers.
What he said! There was a big kev product called goo remover which worked nicely.

I was gonna debaged the Polo and my missus told me to fark off and "deface" my car isntead haha. Tried the excuse that its a bastard getting a sponge between the letters but she wouldn't hear it! Wimens!

Jasonpb
07-12-2010, 07:04 PM
Given the badges are new you can use a heat gun as well...

Frostee
07-12-2010, 07:28 PM
I never did and still don't understand debadging, I guess somewhere here is the answer

Debadging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debadging)

But wtf about rebadging?

Made In Australia (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/made-in-australia-rebadging-hides-more-than-it-shows-20100321-qo2r.html)

Billecartz
07-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I never did and still don't understand debadging, I guess somewhere here is the answer

Debadging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debadging)

But wtf about rebadging?

Made In Australia (http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/society-and-culture/made-in-australia-rebadging-hides-more-than-it-shows-20100321-qo2r.html)

I rebadged with Red R Line badges, one on each front guard and one on the passenger side rear on the hatch.

vvt172
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
I am thinking of buying one of the cars that are coming in within the next month or so. A number of dealers still have cars available. If not I will try and but one of the demos next year.

I am worried that debadging might affect the resale value later on but otherwise I like the idea of being a little unique. I see so many Golf GTIs on the road (with grannies and grandads driving them) that to me the badge doesn't really mean anything anymore. The R badge is a different story, but mainly because they are rare.

madsumberohat
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
i Wish they could water mark the paint to have a faint GTI across the back

Tigga1
08-06-2011, 01:03 PM
anyone know if front badge of GTI comes off?

Gambit
08-06-2011, 01:32 PM
why oh why would you debagde, the GTI badge looks perfect in that location and spot, sets off the rear, those that don't notice will never car anyway..

broxigar1983
08-06-2011, 02:17 PM
why oh why would you debagde, the GTI badge looks perfect in that location and spot, sets off the rear, those that don't notice will never car anyway..

+1, why debadge? You got the GTi for the performance and NAME did you not?

Might look clean, but your car turns into "another polo" on the road.

I would actually like a TSI badge on the grill.

ATYPIC
08-06-2011, 02:41 PM
My view is that a trained eye car enthusiast will probably recognise it as a GTI anyway whereas people who don't give a toss will not care either way...as mentioned above.

Not only this but the trained eye enthusiast may form an opinion of you and give a look of WTF did you do that for??? It is afterall a GTI so why not advertise it!

PoloDave
08-06-2011, 07:55 PM
Noticed a lot of comments are based around what other people might think when they see your car debadged, but its your car and as long as you like it debadged, go ahead! All my logo's are gone too and I personally like the clean look very much

vanDub
08-06-2011, 08:11 PM
The only debadge / rebadge job I liked was a GOLF that had letters re-arranged to read FLOG. Actually not as easy to spot as reading it here suggests.

Frostee
08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
I don't understand where this d
e-badge cr@p comes from, nor do I the re-badging (or in the case of Chevrolet badges counterfeiting).

I understand that people want to personalize their ride but can someone explain what this is all about. I love the gold badging some manufacturers offer - take your gold to show people you have gold :)

ralp2dam
08-06-2011, 08:24 PM
The only debadge / rebadge job I liked was a GOLF that had letters re-arranged to read FLOG. Actually not as easy to spot as reading it here suggests.

Wow I always thought the de-badge on Toyota utes to 'YO' was funny but 'flog' beats that hands down far more thought and effort.