PDA

View Full Version : The Official I regret getting my 77TSI thanks to the GTI

Allegiance
03-12-2010, 07:09 PM
I sat in one of the new GTI's today, wow what a car. Especially given the price difference, I do now regret getting the 77TSI.

Ralfi
03-12-2010, 07:12 PM
This was always going to happen.

But, yours is the official coty & you've got yours already, whereas many of the GTI buyers won't be getting theirs for a long while it seems.

(hope that helps).
;)

FJ Steve
03-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I tried to convince my wife to agree to rescind the contract on our 77TSI, but she was adamant that it (77TSI) was going to suit her daily needs. If she needed a "rush" of adrenalin...she'd just take the keys to the .:R32 and hammer that (like she has for the past 2 1/5 years)

Buller_Scott
03-12-2010, 10:04 PM
wait till that supercharger flap starts ****ing up, especially after a tune....

then, you're gonna wish you'd held onto the 77tsi.

listen, they're not the fastest cars in the world (unless you go the way of one member in the mk6 section, who has moderator approval to take 0-100 times in built up traffic- a first for vw watercooled)...

but the 77 tsi is a damn fine car.

i thrash my car. i am not shy about posting p00fter-f4g ass battles on here, but one thing ive found recently, in heavy driving conditions over black spur, 3 times in the last 10 days...

power is awesome. straight line, especially.

but if you really want to be fast get the following sorted.... then, you wont even want a bigger turbo:

-tune
-uprate your springs
-uprate your dampers
-get engine mount to reduce engine pitch under hard acceleration
-front control arm rear bushes (****...... most people wont do this, because it's a lot of $$$ to get done, for a little rubber thing half the size of your palm... seriously, the bushes were the next best mod i ever did, apart from my tune.... you can actually feel the road surface through the steering wheel- WIN).
-rear axle beam lock bushes.

by the time you get that stuff done, you wont even worry about more power or torque... given the ridiculously beautiful weight distribution of the 77tsi, with the above mods, you'll be one gnarly mother****er in the hills..... which is where it counts.

straight line is for f4gs... they can go cruise up chapel street. mod your car for corners.

cheers,

scotty

Hail22
03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
I had the choice to get the Polo GTI and so far i have heard a lot of people say my TSI is a lot more practical, i am a diver...i need a practical car, if i got the GTI i would be very pissed off with the sand etc and having to be all cotton handed with the interior which wouldn't allow me to enjoy the ride.

To be honest i love my 77TSI, enjoy the overheating however...twincharge in such a small compartment....yeahhhh,

dave_r
03-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Especially given the price difference, I do now regret getting the 77TSI.
The missus would love flappy paddles and more noise and power etc etc but she loves her 77TSI and there is also the extra cost required. There is always something better/newer/etc

If she needed a "rush" of adrenalin...she'd just take the keys to the .:R32 and hammer that (like she has for the past 2 1/5 years)
Haha smart woman! I made my insurance named only so she can't touch it until she's over 30 anyway :D

Kane-St-Kane
04-12-2010, 06:42 AM
To be honest i love my 77TSI, enjoy the overheating however...twincharge in such a small compartment....yeahhhh,

I smell sour grapes.... No wait, that reeks of it. :P

If the engine overheats I will hardly care - Warranties exist for a reason and I'm sure that VW would not release a car with issues big enough to taint the brand.

I just googled 'POLO GTI OVERHEATING' and nothing came up except for something about a Prius (which happened to be linked from a review of the New Polo GTI).

Theories are great, especially when they make us feel better about such a large purchase.... but some proof would be nice. :rolleyes:

Allegiance
04-12-2010, 06:43 AM
Don't get me wrong guys, I do love my TSI, especially over the Impreza I used to have. It's just the GTI really did seem like a little beast of a car.

-tune
-uprate your springs
-uprate your dampers
-front control arm rear bushes (****...... most people wont do this, because it's a lot of $$$ to get done, for a little rubber thing half the size of your palm... seriously, the bushes were the next best mod i ever did, apart from my tune.... you can actually feel the road surface through the steering wheel- WIN).

Thanks for the suggestions, I will look into these, I am still waiting for APR to release the tune though!

BR @ ON
04-12-2010, 08:30 AM
what is under the hood for the GTI?

My Polo felt so empty in there last time I checked...

FJ Steve
04-12-2010, 08:33 AM
what is under the hood for the GTI?

My Polo felt so empty in there last time I checked...
1.4 Twin Charge (Supercharged/Turbo Charged)

Hail22
04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
I smell sour grapes.... No wait, that reeks of it. :P

Difference is i need a practical car for my diving equipment, (if you notice its quite tight in the Polo engine bay already...difference between being sour and being realistic when physically looking under the hood raises my fears, at no time did i say will it will definitely happen, however i did raise a few eyebrows over the long term life of how the car manages heat distribution.

Also im not foolish enough to buy a car to which in most states of Australia you can't go over 120+ but if anyone cares to reply saying the purchase of any high powered car is for the "value" or for the "joy of the car" is being naive that deep down you just want to go over the speed limit and be a "Weekend racer" as i know i certainly like to apply my foot down on the pedal, thats why i own a Shifter Kart for that thirst.

Allegiance
04-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Difference is i need a practical car for my diving equipment, (if you notice its quite tight in the Polo engine bay already...difference between being sour and being realistic when physically looking under the hood raises my fears, at no time did i say will it will definitely happen, however i did raise a few eyebrows over the long term life of how the car manages heat distribution.

Also im not foolish enough to buy a car to which in most states of Australia you can't go over 120+ but if anyone cares to reply saying the purchase of any high powered car is for the "value" or for the "joy of the car" is being naive that deep down you just want to go over the speed limit and be a "Weekend racer" as i know i certainly like to apply my foot down on the pedal, thats why i own a Shifter Kart for that thirst.

Why is the GTI not as practical as the TSI?

Also, I could go out and buy a Yaris that would go 120+....

Hail22
04-12-2010, 06:31 PM
If you take a look at my diving gear and where i dive around sydney, there is no option to water down/clean my gear thus a lot of sand does go in my boot, my TSI is for practical use in part of my diving hobby and also after doing weekend karting, you come to realise it gets filthy, sure the power is sexy as, just i couldn't be bothered with the heart ache when i see the GTI look like complete mess after all the fun i have under water.

Yeah, but the Polo GTI has fast pick up...thus by the time you hit the throttle your either at 60km/h or 20km/h above the limit to which our dear state governments begin to rub their hands with delight.

cm10
04-12-2010, 09:09 PM
I smell sour grapes.... No wait, that reeks of it. ...

Theories are great, especially when they make us feel better about such a large purchase.... but some proof would be nice. :rolleyes:

I think we’re all winners on this forum for choosing the POG (in any variant) in the first place! For the record, I hedged my bets and put down a deposit on a GTI a couple of months ago when I heard my 77TSI delivery was blown out to Jan 2011. So, I had the luxury of choice this week of several GTI’s against my 77TSI booking (all with build dates of 2010). It finally came down to ‘fit for purpose’ and value for money. Choosing a car (if you do it right) is about personal preference, and I chose to stick with the 77TSI.

Why? For me, while the GTI is a better than expected price (thank you exchange rate!) the opportunity for me to really enjoy those benefits are outweighed by the options I gain every day driving by a (nearly) fully optioned 77TSI and the lower price. For a city runabout, the 77TSI will do just great, and with comfort, audio and sports packs you can be sure I’ll be smiling behind my tinted windows while idling in traffic, choosing playlists from my ipod on the RCD 510 touch screen and thinking about where I’ll travel to with my $7K savings from not choosing the GTI. The space saver tyre on the GTI versus the full spare on the 77TSI was also a decider for me as was the firmer suspension. Will I regret my decision? Probably every time I notice that lag. Am I happy with my choice? You bet!!

dave_r
04-12-2010, 09:54 PM
I've tried the kart thing (had an arrow ax8 with rotax) and it didn't quench the thirst. I'd update the 77TSI in a hearbeat but fact is it costs a bit more and wasn't available 3mths ago when we needed the car. Such is life.

Surely you'd understand that going over 100km/h isn't what its all about, there is more to it than that. Acceleration, features, handling etc etc. There is always something better if you wait or spend the money but it doesn't mean it's crap because you don't have it!

My R is pointless under your theory but I couldn't disagree more. I drove the polo today and still enjoyed it. I think you need to relax and enjoy what you have without the sour grapes

Hail22
04-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Nah no sour grapes here...despite the crappy weather here in Sydney

Thinking this will be the best ride ever to be built

http://picture.funnycorner.net/funny-pictures/5844/The-Pope-Mobile.jpg

kaanage
06-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I've tried the kart thing (had an arrow ax8 with rotax) and it didn't quench the thirst.

I'm rather surprised by that but I guess it depends on how often you could get out to the Go-Kart track. From my karting memories (Techo with KT100SE), ANY car I drove was very flaccid and docile in comparison.

Allegiance, you should have added a "Yes if I was in the market to buy a new Polo" option - for that I'd choose "yes"

dave_r
06-12-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm rather surprised by that but I guess it depends on how often you could get out to the Go-Kart track. From my karting memories (Techo with KT100SE), ANY car I drove was very flaccid and docile in comparison.
Got out there almost weekly and it was great but didn't give me the speed fix I needed. Must be a chemical imbalance ;)

Guess I should add to the poll... "no"

kaanage
06-12-2010, 10:25 AM
You need to get a motorcycle - NOTHING compares to outbraking someone after pulling out of their slipstream.

Allegiance
06-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I was on the Gold Coast last month, the Superman roller coaster at Movie World was a nice thrill. It's rated at 0-100kmh in 2 seconds :P

Hail22
06-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I was on the Gold Coast last month, the Superman roller coaster at Movie World was a nice thrill. It's rated at 0-100kmh in 2 seconds :P

Meh i will go to Ferrari land in Abu Dhabi same G-force and speed as an F1 car...muhahahahahaha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijuQwnfBBZw

Jasonpb
06-12-2010, 10:59 AM
You need to get a motorcycle - NOTHING compares to outbraking someone after pulling out of their slipstream.

What motorcycle will out brake a car? that's the one thing that sucks about bikes, is the brakes!

I wouldn't mind the polo GTI over the 77tsi, the trade in value though even after three months of ownership equates to more than just being butt raped!

Allegiance
06-12-2010, 03:26 PM
I am tempted to get my TSI valuated...

kaanage
06-12-2010, 03:53 PM
What motorcycle will out brake a car? that's the one thing that sucks about bikes, is the brakes!

Eh?? Cars and bikes don't mix at high speeds. Ever.

But I was referring to dave_r's addiction to adrenal stimulation, re the previous 2 posts about go-karts. Your eyes don't get much bigger than the scenario that I mentioned between 2 (or more) bikes.

But I dispute your assertion about the braking capability of bikes - the brakes on sports bikes can easily perform front wheel stands, given super sports tyres and decent road conditions. The big limitation of bikes vs cars is cornering, not so much because of grip but what happens when grip is exceeded (unless the car has large, effective downforce generators which can then give the car a MASSIVE grip advantage).

Do it Allegiance, but prepare for disappointment.

Hail22
06-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Meh i don't why some people feel regret, i like my car i don't see anything wrong with it apart from a badge and a different power plant under the bonnet, overall the car is comfortable and is suited to the new Policing state Australia has become.

From my point of view im glad my hard cold cash paid off for something within my means, for my age. Will i buy another VW in the coming years? you bet your ass i have my eyes set on a Scirocco R, but for now living within ones means, and looking at purchasing a property is better than forking another 12k for a polo GTI that would be ideal for me.

I'm done with this thread, but to finish my view no regrets what so ever :)

Allegiance
06-12-2010, 06:02 PM
Meh i don't why some people feel regret, i like my car i don't see anything wrong with it apart from a badge and a different power plant under the bonnet, overall the car is comfortable and is suited to the new Policing state Australia has become.

From my point of view im glad my hard cold cash paid off for something within my means, for my age. Will i buy another VW in the coming years? you bet your ass i have my eyes set on a Scirocco R, but for now living within ones means, and looking at purchasing a property is better than forking another 12k for a polo GTI that would be ideal for me.

I'm done with this thread, but to finish my view no regrets what so ever :)

This thread wasn't intended to piss people off or directly targeted at you. And sorry dude, bit more of a difference than just a badge and engine :P

Jasonpb
06-12-2010, 06:48 PM
Eh?? Cars and bikes don't mix at high speeds. Ever.

But I was referring to dave_r's addiction to adrenal stimulation, re the previous 2 posts about go-karts. Your eyes don't get much bigger than the scenario that I mentioned between 2 (or more) bikes.

But I dispute your assertion about the braking capability of bikes - the brakes on sports bikes can easily perform front wheel stands, given super sports tyres and decent road conditions. The big limitation of bikes vs cars is cornering, not so much because of grip but what happens when grip is exceeded (unless the car has large, effective downforce generators which can then give the car a MASSIVE grip advantage).

Do it Allegiance, but prepare for disappointment.

Yeah you can easily go over the handlebars of a bike that doesn't mean it can out brake a car, I have owned several bikes, just got rid of my K8 GSX-R a month ago but I will leave it there.

Transporter
06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Yes, unfortunately there will always be newer cars or something better. I usually try to focus on what is better on my car and why I bought it. :)

dave_r
06-12-2010, 07:49 PM
I didn't want to o/t the the thread too much but no bikes for me, ever.

I'm done here too, this smells of the GTI vs R thing all over again. Always gonna be people on both sides of the fence. We'd probably have still bought the 77TSI because that was the budget and I had the R for fun. Another $4-5k in the budget and no R and it would be GTI hands down.

madsumberohat
07-12-2010, 11:13 PM
wait till that supercharger flap starts ****ing up, especially after a tune....

then, you're gonna wish you'd held onto the 77tsi.

listen, they're not the fastest cars in the world (unless you go the way of one member in the mk6 section, who has moderator approval to take 0-100 times in built up traffic- a first for vw watercooled)...

but the 77 tsi is a damn fine car.

i thrash my car. i am not shy about posting p00fter-f4g ass battles on here, but one thing ive found recently, in heavy driving conditions over black spur, 3 times in the last 10 days...

power is awesome. straight line, especially.

but if you really want to be fast get the following sorted.... then, you wont even want a bigger turbo:

-tune
-uprate your springs
-uprate your dampers

by the time you get that stuff done, you wont even worry about more power or torque... given the ridiculously beautiful weight distribution of the 77tsi, with the above mods, you'll be one gnarly mother****er in the hills..... which is where it counts.

straight line is for f4gs... they can go cruise up chapel street. mod your car for corners.

cheers,

scotty

Out of interest would these mods for the 77 tsi work with GTI since I haven't decided on which to get yet

cause if get the gti's power, but get the extra WOO HOO inthe twisties that this mod promises for the 77 TSI ild do these mods and cough up the extra 6 gs for the gti for sure :D