PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Semi-Slick Tyres

jettafsi
29-11-2010, 07:34 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at get some tyres for track days, mainly supersprint type events, 3 or 4 laps at a time. I need 225/45/R17's.

Any recommendations? I think I've been looking at the cheaper end of the scale, Kumho's and Toyo's. I would probably change these over at the track and not drive on them to get to the track to preserve tyre life.

I've used yoko A032R's on a previous car, and altough good only got about 2000km's out of them.

Cheers,
Ian

Peter Jones
29-11-2010, 08:30 AM
I race on Toyo R888

Proxes R888 (http://www.toyo.com.au/Proxes%20R888.htm)

They work well for me, Getting about 2 seasons out of them. Awesome grip.

Pete

jamesatfish
29-11-2010, 10:19 AM
My absolute faves are the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup - brilliant grip levels in the dry, decent life and great grip retention once they're up to temp. On the con side, they are a bit dearer than other brands, they take a little time to warm up (usually a couple of 8/10ths laps - meaning the first timed lap of your sprint sessions mightn't be full pace) and they're very average in the wet.

Am currently running the R888s on the Polo as I can't get the Michelins in the right size - they're a pretty good tyre as well and give great grip, but I've found they tend to go off pretty quickly (after 2-3 track days they get quite hard and lose their grip).

I've also run with the Kumho V70A (medium compound) which had similar grip to the Toyos but lasted a fair bit longer. I've had trouble getting these in 17" sizes for the Polo lately hence my switch to the Toyos.

Stay well away from Falkens - tried those once on the recommendation of the local tyre place when the Kumhos were on back order, and the only thing they were good for was motorkhana events where a combination of handbrake turns and first gear corners without ESP converted them into smoke as quickly as possible.

jettafsi
29-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks guys. I made a few phone calls today. In 225/45/R17 :-
Falken RT615 - $190
Toyo Proxes R888 - $400
Kumho V70A - $460

It's probably incorrect to compare the RT615 to the other two but price wise it's 2 for the price of 1.

jamesatfish
29-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys. I made a few phone calls today. In 225/45/R17 :-
Falken RT615 - $190
Toyo Proxes R888 - $400
Kumho V70A - $460

It's probably incorrect to compare the RT615 to the other two but price wise it's 2 for the price of 1.

Honestly, if you're spending money on R-Specs to get a tyre better suited for track driving, please don't be tempted by the cheap price of the Falkens. The ones I tried (can't remember the exact tyre model but that number sounds familiar) were worse on the track than road tyres - I actually put my standard wheels and tyres back on the car for the rest of that track day.

jettafsi
29-11-2010, 01:58 PM
yep, agree. need to not get sucked in by cheap price. i'm always looking for bank for buck!

robby_jai
21-12-2010, 06:56 PM
i wouldnt bother with falken RT-615. I've used them they're ok.. but it will be difference a sec or two difference.

I'm surprised to see the dunlops DS03g is not being mentioned.

They are a great semi slick.. highly rated and used amongst a lot of the pro races for a very good reason. excellent wet weather performance and dry and they have pretty good wear. significantly better than i expected surprisingly.

I found the Dunlops to be easily half a second quicker than the R888, they heat up a lot quicker and the grip even after several punishing laps and are pretty amazing. these things dont go off as easily as quickly as R888's do I feel. I rate the Kumho V70A better than the R888 from my experiences

but if budget is the absolute buying criteria.. the R888 is the best buy... if you shop around carefully you can get em for about 350 a corner. Another good semi slick for supersprints are the Advan A050. used by a lot of competitors at this year's world time attack challenge.

The two most popular choices of semi slicks for the WTAC was Yokos and Dunlops. that's about as good as endorsement you need for a semi slick if any :)

the scotsman
05-01-2011, 06:21 PM
I run the Khumo v70a in supersprints, they work well and are the most popular choice with the clubbie drivers. My only grumble would be that they don't have a long life, by the end of the 8th supersprint I think they were about a second off their new pace. But they are quicker than my previous tyre Yokohama a048's
Oh, don't get the soft compound, They lasted less than half a day at Philip Island!

Evaded Motorsport
30-01-2011, 10:06 AM
Avoid the R888, they are too pressure sensitive, side walls are crap and generally feel like AIDS.

Choices:
New Advan AO50
Kumho V70A
RE55S
Dunlop DJO3 (or whatever the model designation is)

Sammy125TDi
04-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Avoid the R888, they are too pressure sensitive, side walls are crap and generally feel like AIDS.

Choices:
New Advan AO50
Kumho V70A
RE55S
Dunlop DJO3 (or whatever the model designation is)

RE55s are very good. Dunlop DZ03G are the best hands down.

Peter Jones
04-02-2011, 11:30 AM

Must be dependant on the weight and characteristics of the vehicle they're fitted to, I've never experienced any of these issues with mine.

I run 23 PSI which is the manufacturer recommended pressure for the weight of the cars and the length of the events I run. I initially tried a range of pressures and didn't notice any great difference a few psi either side of that.

Mine have big sidewalls being 185/60/14 and they are very stiff compared to road tyres in the same size. No signs of sidewall damage after many off road excursions and jumps off ripple strips.

I'm unsure about your last comment though - What does AIDS feel like?

the scotsman
05-02-2011, 05:19 PM
apparently these guys are the cheapest place for toyo's

Taleb Tyres : Semi Slicks - Toyo R888 (http://www.talebtyres.com.au/pages.asp?ID=Semi+Slicks+-+Toyo+R888)

maybe give them a call?
no connection, never used them, but was talking to a guy at Eastern Creek yesterday who mentioned them.
Peter, im with you never had an issue with running toyo's but all semislicks will go squishy if not at the correct pressure...

FLAUNTT
20-02-2011, 06:38 PM
RE 55's are what I run , very good option. Dunlop Z03 are also very good. A cheaper alternative in dunlop may be the Supersport race, pretty grippy and seam to hold up ok.

Evaded Motorsport
25-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Must be dependant on the weight and characteristics of the vehicle they're fitted to, I've never experienced any of these issues with mine.

I run 23 PSI which is the manufacturer recommended pressure for the weight of the cars and the length of the events I run. I initially tried a range of pressures and didn't notice any great difference a few psi either side of that.

Mine have big sidewalls being 185/60/14 and they are very stiff compared to road tyres in the same size. No signs of sidewall damage after many off road excursions and jumps off ripple strips.

I'm unsure about your last comment though - What does AIDS feel like?

AIDS feels like R888's :P.

You would have to be the first person I have come across that hasn't noticed a difference. Even guys I know who are sponsored by Toyo mention their pressure sensitivity. I do agree it is a case of person and vehicle but they are the one tyre I would never go for again unless i needed a cheap set for a weekend sprint or hill climb in a hurry.

seangti
14-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Anyone had 1st hand experience with the Federal 595 RS-r? (http://www.federaltyres.com.au/tyres/motorsport/595rs-r)

Opinions for street and track driving if I were to only run one set for everything?

vwsport
25-03-2011, 08:28 PM
If you are looking for one set for everything I've had Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 'Star Spec' running on my car for about 6 months they've been awesome, I paid around $1400 for set of 4 225/40/18, good ride even though very stiff sidewall so no rolling and fantastic grip

Stuckey Tyre Service - Racing with Dunlop Motorsport since 1972 (http://www.stuckey.com.au/news_201009-01.aspx)

also check out

Testing the New Extremes of Extreme Performance Summer Tires (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=118)

Water Boy
25-03-2011, 08:56 PM
AIDS feels like R888's :P.

You would have to be the first person I have come across that hasn't noticed a difference. Even guys I know who are sponsored by Toyo mention their pressure sensitivity. I do agree it is a case of person and vehicle but they are the one tyre I would never go for again unless i needed a cheap set for a weekend sprint or hill climb in a hurry.

So what tyre would you run mate. And also if your mates are sponsored by Toyo and not happy wouldnt they move on???

Evaded Motorsport
28-03-2011, 10:16 PM
So what tyre would you run mate. And also if your mates are sponsored by Toyo and not happy wouldnt they move on???

They like them, they just mention they are pressure sensitive. I put my choices up before.

Dunlop DJ03
RE55s
Advan A050
Kumho V70A

kaanage
16-06-2011, 07:59 PM
What do people think of the Toyo Proxes R1R?

Tommie went pretty well with them at Winton (while his car was running properly) and they look like they wouldn't be totally useless in the wet.

Water Boy
16-06-2011, 08:04 PM
What do people think of the Toyo Proxes R1R?

Tommie went pretty well with them at Winton (while his car was running properly) and they look like they wouldn't be totally useless in the wet.

Good price fro Trackside race n rally in Kilsyth.

Remember there is a world wide tyre shortage atm.

kaanage
16-06-2011, 08:11 PM
They only seem to have larger sizes for the R1R. Any idea how they rate vs the other tyres mentioned here?

Diesel_vert
16-06-2011, 08:37 PM
They only seem to have larger sizes for the R1R. Any idea how they rate vs the other tyres mentioned here?

If it helps, I'd say the Proxes R1R is a tyre that fits into the 2nd category on my list (see here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/f112/mk6-tyre-thread-28107-21.html#post673894)) in terms of performance level.

kaanage
16-06-2011, 08:50 PM
That's great - it looks like the R1R might be a decent "learner" tyre that could be used on cruises.

Blitzen
17-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Anyone had 1st hand experience with the Federal 595 RS-r? (http://www.federaltyres.com.au/tyres/motorsport/595rs-r)Opinions for street and track driving if I were to only run one set for everything?I have had these, and they are really good. I have never had them on the track, but for street use they are a very good tyre. They are very good in the wet (way better than the RT615's I have run in the past).

kaanage
21-06-2011, 09:09 PM
I can get the following tyres for almost the same money
Toyo RE888
Dunlop DZ03G
Bridgestone RE55What do people think is the pick of these 3 as track tyres (maybe the very occasional cruise)?

Diesel_vert
21-06-2011, 10:12 PM
After doing a quick Google search, it would appear to depend on:

Compound type - soft, medium, hard, etc.
Tyre characteristics - durability, temperature sensitivity/operating range, etc.
Category of racing - hill climb, sprint, endurance, etc.
Type of vehicle - weight, drivetrain (?)
... and so on.

All in all, a lot of homework.

I recall Motor magazine did a track tyre comparison in 2009, and the DZ03G was ranked 1st.

Some say the R888 is more versatile (i.e. usable on the road) compared to the DZ03G and RE55S, which are more happy on the track.

kaanage
21-06-2011, 10:47 PM
Yes, I was hoping for the points of feedback that you've listed - all 3 come in various compounds so I assume that they will have versions similar outright grip. I won't be endurance racing (yet) and prefer track days to hill climbs so instant performance from cold isn't necessary.

Evaded M/S has posted that the sidewall of the R888 are too soft for his Polo but others with cars of similar weight and power seem to disagree.

Looking back through this thread, the DZ03G seem to get the biggest nods.

Diesel_vert
21-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Evaded M/S has posted that the sidewall of the R888 are too soft for his Polo but others with cars of similar weight and power seem to disagree.

What I've found is that because there are so many different opinions on track tyres, and given the amount of variables which can affect its performance (tyre compound/characteristics, type of racing/vehicle, etc.), it can be difficult to say which tyre is best for a particular vehicle or driver.

Looking back through this thread, the DZ03G seem to get the biggest nods.

Simplifying this a bit, but if cost is the same between the three tyres you mentioned, I'd eliminate the R888 (praised for its value, which is rendered irrelevant here) and chose between the DZ03G and RE55S, and leaning towards the former (simply because I've seen more positive reviews than the latter, lol).

mk1turbo79
10-07-2011, 11:33 AM
I was using DZ03G at Winton, great tyre with tremendous grip. With more confidence I feel I could carry more speed through the open corners. Ive used this set for 2 portland drag meets and a track day at winton and they are not even half worn.

Easily recommend to anyone.

Evaded Motorsport
23-07-2011, 05:03 AM
I never used the R888 on the Polo but from someone who has used other semi slicks, slicks and street tyres, the R888 was a reasonable budget tyre, A set of half used 4 year old V70A's seem to put in similar lap times as a set of R888's.

To break it down you have the following things you need to take into account things that Diesel Vert mentioned:

Tyre Compounds:

Dunlop
S1 - Soft: Designed for wet use in very light cars
M1- Wet use and light cars
R1- Light Cars Sprints
H1- Heavy cars and Endurance

Bridgestone:

Circuit:
Type WT2 - Wet conditions
Type TT - Time Attack
Type SR2 - Longer Sprints etc

They have a gymkhana compound as well but I wouldn't worrya bout them.

SR2 is the choice for Bridgestone and they are available in all of the RE55S sizes.

The Dunlops the R1 or H1 would be the option. H1 would probably do if you want to drive around on them but they will struggle to get upto temp on the track.

I'm not sure what rim size/tyre size you will need.

If you let me know what type of racing your intended use and tyre size I can give you some recommendations.

The issues I had with the R888 extended further than the soft sidewalls. They were very pressure sensitive, they lack feel. They do heat cycle very well though and they last quite some time. But they are a slow tyre, they don't have the same lap times of the other semi slicks.

Honestly most people won't get the most out of even the R888 so anyone who tells you they are a good tyre is probably just your average punter. The R1R and the T1R are much better tyres in their category than the R888 though.

bfeboi
22-08-2011, 06:31 PM
How do you race-breed gentlemen go about setting up tyre pressures?

Ive used the RT-615 and they were great on the first outing then turned to rubbish from then onwards. i have now moved onto a nice set of RE55s. BRING ON WAKIE!

kaanage
27-08-2011, 12:13 AM
I ended up with a set of Yokohama Advan A048R semi-slicks for my Polo due to a ridiculously good deal they had on some older tyres.

A lot of posts I'd read (trawling the general web when deciding on semi-slicks) said that the A048R go hard after not too many heat cycles but this may be due to them not being broken in properly. I was advised to drive to the track with them to put a gentle 1st heat cycle into them which should make them stay soft longer and be more predictable. They certainly stuck far beyond what my nerve would allow me to push the car at the faster corners. Only time will tell if they go hard after limited heat cycling.

Yokohama recommend 33 to 36 psi as the operating pressure you should be aiming for. All other manufacturers would have an advised operating pressure range for their tyres so you just need to monitor the pressure after coming in from the track and adjust accordingly. You may have to adjust each corner differently depending on the track/car/driver...

russ83
08-09-2011, 09:17 PM
apparently these guys are the cheapest place for toyo's

Taleb Tyres : Semi Slicks - Toyo R888 (http://www.talebtyres.com.au/pages.asp?ID=Semi+Slicks+-+Toyo+R888)

maybe give them a call?
no connection, never used them, but was talking to a guy at Eastern Creek yesterday who mentioned them.
Peter, im with you never had an issue with running toyo's but all semislicks will go squishy if not at the correct pressure...

Rang these guys after a recommendation from a friend.

Quoted for Toyo R888 205/50/15 $225 each

russ83
22-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Rang these guys after a recommendation from a friend.

Quoted for Toyo R888 205/50/15 $225 each

evidence:
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2012/01/7596c1ae-1.jpg

kaanage
25-01-2012, 10:05 AM
Was that fitted and balanced?
Else there are a couple of eBay tyre dealers (in Sydney :mad:) that sell them a bit cheaper

russ83
31-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Was that fitted and balanced?
Else there are a couple of eBay tyre dealers (in Sydney :mad:) that sell them a bit cheaper

no and no.

Just check the manufacture date of the ebay ones first... mine were brand new. may be worth the extra.

Sultan
22-02-2012, 04:49 PM
I can get the following tyres for almost the same money
Toyo RE888
Dunlop DZ03G
Bridgestone RE55What do people think is the pick of these 3 as track tyres (maybe the very occasional cruise)?

Whilst I haven't tried the Bridgestones, I've raced on the Toyos, the Dunlops (in various compounds) & the Khumos.

The Dunlops by far have the most grip, the hard compound is actually comparable with the 888's. I haven't tried the 's' compound but the 'm' compound is bloody soft - I've used them in the wet & found them incredible, but in the dry they were pretty much toast after a solid weekend's racing. For grip vs longevity/bang for buck the 'r' compound is the way to go.

The 888's are a great all round tyre, not quite the grip of the Dunlops but good bang for buck.

The Khumos are very impessive, somewhere in between the the other two. Just be careful to get the correct load rating as we've experienced the sidewalls bubbling.
We also recently tried some Hankooks - massive traction so expect heavy wear - oh and a big price tag!

FOr reference, we've been trying these on 3 cars, most recently at Lakeside last weekend - A standard tune Golf R with a/market swaybars, a Bob Romano Performance tuned stage 2 Golf R with swaybar bushes & brakes, and a Bob Romano Performance tuned stage 1 tuned Golf GTI, otherwise completely stock..

Hope this helps..

Sammy125TDi
24-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm selling two sets of Dunlop DZ03G if anyone is looking for a set.

Both mounted on 17" Oem Denver's sprayed black.

One set of H1 compound with 70% tread $800 with wheels

One set of M1 compound with 45% tread left $350 with wheels. (one tyre is 20% left)