PDA

View Full Version : Superb Traction!

CanberravRS
28-11-2010, 10:12 AM
Well i've had a chance to drive the V6 Superb in the wet today.. and well i've owned a few AWD vehicles in my time and the Superb on those continentals has the most traction i've ever experienced.
Unlike the Octavia which was always twitchy in the wet and couldn't accelerate for squat in the wet :bangheadwall:, the Superb is a flawless.
Ive tried the launch control of the lights in the wet and it so nice to not have to worry about a single bit of wheel spin or have the traction control kicking in.. :nuts:

K1W1
28-11-2010, 10:20 AM
I thought launch control was removed about 12 months ago?

CanberravRS
28-11-2010, 10:41 AM
Obviously not!

dazag
28-11-2010, 08:39 PM
I so wanted the 4 motion system in the Octavia RS, I would have optioned mine up on the order if they did.

theduckster
14-03-2011, 05:47 PM
I can't wait to compare the Superb to the Subaru Impreza I have currently. Doesn't sound like there will be a problem traction wise in the wet, just that I will be in a way more comfortable car that is also a little larger!

I hope traction control is on my Superb! http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/Muahahapng-1.jpg

CanberravRS
14-03-2011, 06:19 PM
Oh there is traction control. but you have to push to amazing lengths to get it to activate. The V6 4x4 rarely gets on edge. Even with the firmer sports suspension I can easily push the wagon through bumpy off camber corners or hard under brakes heading downhill and its very very rare to see the TC light flash.

dru
14-03-2011, 06:23 PM
I so wanted the 4 motion system in the Octavia RS, I would have optioned mine up on the order if they did.

I have to agree 100%! I think thats the only thing I would have loved to have on the octavia!

theduckster
14-03-2011, 06:42 PM
lol

I meant to say I hope Launch Control is on my Superb. Hopefully the Traction Control is too as well. By the sounds of it, I won't hardly ever see the TC light come on which must mean that the Superb is one great car. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2011/03/digif-1.jpg

CanberravRS
14-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Honestly.. the difference is only noise. Launch control is a noisy and obnoxious take off when you can go just as quick under normal acceleration.

theduckster
14-03-2011, 07:24 PM
Honestly.. the difference is only noise. Launch control is a noisy and obnoxious take off when you can go just as quick under normal acceleration.

Watching a few clips on YouTube your observations seem pretty well spot on. But some noise here and there could be fun. Knowing me I will use it once and that will be it.

CanberravRS
14-03-2011, 07:38 PM
LOL... trust me.. it's no tractor.

And I have to say the sound of the narrow angle V6 is pretty unique. plus you get the blip on gear change where there is a sort of Boof or pop from the exhaust.. I'd love to open it up a bit and get a bit more R36like sound going on.. but then again the car is not an R36 and its not why i bought the car..

Might have to head up to Hi-Tech in a year or two for some nice hand made Stainless bi-mordial mufflers to enjoy both sides of the spectrum.

Greg Roles
15-03-2011, 07:58 AM
Yeah FWD is the one thing I'm not overly keen to own again......and even now the AWD demons are gnawing away in the back of my mind!

theduckster
18-03-2011, 08:14 PM
LOL... trust me.. it's no tractor.

And I have to say the sound of the narrow angle V6 is pretty unique. plus you get the blip on gear change where there is a sort of Boof or pop from the exhaust.. I'd love to open it up a bit and get a bit more R36like sound going on.. but then again the car is not an R36 and its not why i bought the car..

Might have to head up to Hi-Tech in a year or two for some nice hand made Stainless bi-mordial mufflers to enjoy both sides of the spectrum.

I can't wait to get mine and hit the open road with a few weekend trips and see what it's really like. I'm sure the performance will be pretty impressive and not tractor like at all lol. What made in choose the Superb is it it seems to be a great all round package. So i'm sure it will handle itself pretty well as well being one hell of a comfortable drive as well.

jbviajero
30-04-2011, 12:23 PM
It is true the FWD octavia is TC-tastic in the wet, it does struggle to put the power down. Though I find on the 118TSI it still has a higher threshold for grip in corners and behaves very predictably (if not neutrally) compared to other cars. I'm comparing to my wife's recent model corolla (which I've since sold) and other recent model small-medium FWD cars that I've driven.
That's not to say that I'd turn down the V6 superb if my wallet had enough notes in it.