PDA

View Full Version : Passat CC 1st birthday

Leagle
26-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Can't believe it but it is almost a year since I have taken delivery of my Passat CC. For anyone out there considering buying one I thought I would share my experience thus far with the main highs and lows

Highs
- Design. I still can't help but look at it every time I park it. I still get many admiring glances and its amusing to see how many people simply stop and stare at it each time I park it (ok, I admit it I am the first to join the queue).
- Quality. My car is rattle free and still looks and feels like it did on day 1. That dashboard/interior rivals that of any BMW, Merc and Audi costing up to $100K more!
- Performance. The 3.6L V6 (same as the R36) is seductive. Unlike my previous car (WRX) it can be silky smooth for when you want to settle back and cruise. But when you poke it in the guts - as anyone with the CC V6 or R36 will know - it turns into a real sports car. Its a lot more responsive than the turbo 4 in the WRX which means that it the power is actually more useable and quicker too in every day application.
- Handling and ride. The real surprise for me is how great the handling/ride balance is. It definitely does comforting ride (especially with the Adaptive chassis setting set to "comfort"), but a recent blast through Kangaroo Valley in "sports" chassis mode (which the WRX always loved) highlighted how impressive handling is as well. In fact, whilst the CC does not seem as "agile" as the WRX, dare I say I think it actually handled better!
- Noise. This is a real jekyl and hyde car. Cruise and there simply is a lack of noise. It does a very good impression of an S class Mercedes Benz. But put the boot in and it emits a nice sporty V6 growl too.
- Reliability. So far I have not had to take it back to the dealer to fix anything (apart from a loose connection to my Kufatec blu tooth mike). There is a minor oil leak that I will need to look into at the next service though.
- Gadgetry. For a gadget geek like me, the CC is proving ridiculously amusing. The fact that my iphone4 works seamlessly (most of the times) with the Kufatec blu tooth/RNS510, the great GPS, all those sensors, cooling seats, a car that parks itself! It never ceases to amuse and amaze.
- Storage. The boot is so huge and there are so many storage binnacles that I simply cannot see why anyone would need a wagon.

Lows
- It doesn't really bother me but I have to admit its not the most fuel efficient car I have owned. In city driving, I typically use between 12.5 to 14L per 100kms. In freeway conditions, I get down into the 9s which is more reasonable.
- The self sealing continentals don't get you out of all trouble and are expensive to replace. Ok, I have not had a flat tyre yet so I cannot argue that the tyres do their job of keeping small punctures at bay. However I did have a recent experience at a car park where the rear tyre was damaged by a jutting kerb. It slashed the sidewall and although the tyre still retained pressure, it was deemed "unroadworthy" and hence I had to replace the tyre. There is a full size spare in the boot but I bit the bullet and bought a new one. Tyre cost me $350 to replace. Ouch.
- Lack of 5 seats. The fact that there are 4 sculptured seats including handy storage for the kids in the back is actually more of a positive than negative. However even I concede that there have been 1 or 2 times this year when having a fifth seat would have been a little more convenient in carrying an extra passenger.
- Rear seat height space. Yes a few passengers have had to lower their heads when entering into the rear of the car. Not a problem for my kids though. But again a very minor limitation and definitely a lot more convenient than your typical "coupe" which the CC is meant to be compared with (though it does have 4 doors). Overall though the CC is very spacious inside for both front and rear alike.

Anyone else with CCs are invited to share their high and lows here. Overall I am very happy with the CC. It really does represent outstanding value for money compared to all those overpriced "premium" germans and surprisingly (for the relatively minimal extra outlay) even seems better value than some of the cheaper quasi luxo Japanese cars out there.

OilBurna
26-11-2010, 10:21 AM
great review leagle thanks for sharing saw three parked at bayford vw epping this morning...

eggywawa
27-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I recently bought my CC 125TDI new....very impressed with its styling and fuel economy (Driven only 500km so far, fuel tank is almost half full still)

I wasn't that lucky since my CC's AC doesn't really work from day 1.
Sent the car back to dealer on 2010-Nov-19, and nothing was done.
Waiting for VWA's response.......errrr......

The other concern is excessive noise from tyre? or chassis?
What sort of tyre pressure everyone is running at? Me running F/R: 260kPa/280kPa

ctan
30-11-2010, 09:31 PM
I have the same complaint about tyre noise on my Golf TSI Comfortline which I purchased in July this year. The car is awfully quiet on good roads, no wind noise even at high speed. But on rougher roads the tyre noise is mars an otherwise quiet car. I keep tyre pressure to 280 kpa front and back. I have a 17 inch wheel. Don't know replacing the tyres will help. I have come across similar complaints in the Golf VI forum.

Caddyman
30-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I drove a Mk6 golf (118TSI) as a loan car and was amazed the difference in tyre noise from my Passat Wagon, the passat is very quiet - running on 18 inch Continental CSC3's whereas the golf was very noisy. My mates Mk6 GTI is the same, a lot more tyre noise than the passat.

Matthew

Leagle
01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
I recently bought my CC 125TDI new....very impressed with its styling and fuel economy (Driven only 500km so far, fuel tank is almost half full still)

I wasn't that lucky since my CC's AC doesn't really work from day 1.
Sent the car back to dealer on 2010-Nov-19, and nothing was done.
Waiting for VWA's response.......errrr......

The other concern is excessive noise from tyre? or chassis?
What sort of tyre pressure everyone is running at? Me running F/R: 260kPa/280kPa

Sorry to hear about your air con. Many years ago I was driving around in an airconditionless Charade (with a suit on!) so I know how uncomfortable it is not to have air con.

My air con has been faultless from day 1. One of the reasons I did not pick the panoramic roof (aside from the fact that it did not slide, only tilted) was to ensure my car remained cool and rattle free. I am not sure if you have the pana roof, but I have heard that this could be a factor in reducing the effectiveness of air con. Of course I also have installed the cooling seat option too which keeps the derriere cool.

I don't find tyre/chassis noise to be an issue although I agree that on some particularly coarse/rough roads (eg Parramatta Road), it is noticeable. Overall though I have found the car to be very quiet, comparable to a friend's new E250CGi Mercedes Benz - although the V6 in my CC sounds way better than the turbo 4 in the Merc ;) BTW, I drive with 40psi in all four tyres which I find rides well.

BTW, congrats to the Passat CC for again taking out top spot for best luxury car under $60,000 in the 2010 Drive.com.au awards. Obviously this is more a win for the fuel efficient diesel CC as the V6 CC costs over $60,000. However, despite the additional thirst (and cost) of the V6, I think the V6 still represents fantastic value for money for what you get.

eggywawa
02-12-2010, 01:57 PM
I, too have GOLF 118TSI which was purchased with CC.
I love the cabin and admire its engine and DSG.

Again, the tyre noise is #@$@%#$%.
Tried different tyre pressure, can't feel much difference.

JustSayCC
05-12-2010, 08:40 AM
Great review above. I had promised the same at 3 months but well.. at least now I can provide my two cents worth...

Still feels like a new car to me !

Plus points:
1. Still looks good, contemporary styling and stands out from crowd. Nice wheels.
2. 4 seats have been fine for me. Headroom no problem if your passengers are less than 6'1".
3. Good creature comforts that a lot of rivals don't have at that price (park assist, brake assist, rearview cam, adaptive cruise control, RNS 510). Should have got lane assist and more importantly panoramic sunroof, but didn't have a lot of choice when car was bought (it was in the first batch and specs were predetermined).
4. Fleet discount applies (10% off)
5. Performance from the v6 can't really be faulted (tried and tested in the r36)
6. Interior finish (especially two-tone leather, which doesn't cost more) still looks good.

Bad points:
1. Brakes are excessively sensitive (you get used to it). Also means it can stop on a dime (especially with the radar assist feature).
2. Mine had a leak in the door seal - fixed at VW 2 weeks after purchase. Carpet got wet and had to be replaced (by VW). No probs since.
3. Premium bluetooth seems an excessively expensive option (>$2K installed). Most competitors have a good enough version of bluetooth built in (better than the parrot version). Has stopped me buying this yet.
4. Because of the response and braking, is a little more difficult to get used to for new drivers (eg wife). She got a Merc C250CGI recently and found that much easier to drive (although completely different car and far less performance, of course).

eggywawa
05-12-2010, 12:00 PM
after over 2 weeks of waiting waiting waiting....

STILL NO RESPOSE!!! AC STILL DEAD~

tried to contact the dealer and VWA.... NO RESPONSE!

Does anyone know a direct phone number for VWA?
They only have email on their website!!!

tessie
05-12-2010, 01:53 PM
...had my CCTDI for 10 months now. Due to unforseen business reasons I did'nt think I would have to drive it so much. I've racked up 23000k in that time. However its been faultless, not an issue.(touching wood as I type) What they are is a unique good-looking
(inside and out) economical comfy cruiser. I reckon the equivalent BMW is a better drive and is even more powerful & economical with the same size engine, but it looks boring compared to a CC. I don't think its particuarly sporty (to drive) even in sport mode, which is too hard except for billiard-table roads, but it does'nt matter, its just such a nice thing to be in. Don't care its a 4 seater, hardly ever need that extra seat anyway. Besides, for 2 people in the back its very cosy for them. All-in-all, glad I've got it, for my stage in life & the things I wanted in a car, I could barely have chosen better.

genkifd
07-12-2010, 09:00 PM
congrats mate

wondering what is you average L/100km consumption

and how many km have your done?

I just picked up my white CC 3.6 - love it only thing is that i should have pushed some options especially sat nav

Statesman
09-12-2010, 04:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

First post here.

I was googling for information on tyre pressure for my 2010 Passat CC V6 after changing recently to winter tyres and using an automated tyre pressure checker which only took settings in BAR rather than KPA or PSI and stumbled across this excellent review, so I thought I'd add what I could to this excellent review - thought you'd appreciate additional perspectives.

Highs
- Design - Like Leagle said, design is really very nice, and I too get people checking out my car - and I still glance back at it after I park. It's really very nice! The interior is also stunning - I got the full leather with air conditioned seats which really reduce driver fatigue on long trips. Heated seats in winter are very nice in Europe, especially in the cold snap.
- Quality - No rattles. I had one rear light get condensation inside, which was replaced under warranty.
- Performance - I have to go in to some details on this, because I've probably done more high speed driving in this car than some. In a word - amazing. Simply amazing. I love this engine + gearbox combination. It really is astounding. 0-100 is astounding at 5.6 seconds, and the climb up to 180kph is absolutely effortless. 180 - 220kph or so takes some more oomph but it's still a great deal of fun and blitzes many, maybe even most on the autobahn. 220kph+ is distinctly slower but still quite good - definitely better than anything else I've driven but I get the feeling some more torque wouldn't go astray here. I once tried to keep up with an RS6 accelerating from 160kph+ and ... couldn't. That car absolutely walked on me, and was a symphony of noise. Even over the noise of my engine, and the stereo, I could still hear the beautiful noise of that twin-turbo V10. Back to the Passat CC though ... as far as top speed goes, they say the car is limited to 250kph but don't believe it. Without modifying, I've had the car listing itself as doing 265kph. Did this about 10 days ago on an unlimited autobahn section running north from Dresden / Leipzig / Magdeburg. Naturally, I wasn't reaching for the GPS at that time to verify, but at slower speeds I have calculated speedo error to be around 8kph at that speed - it seems the speedo error in the Passat CC increases with speed - I suspect it's a safety feature. Bare in mind, this was with Alpine tyres - not summer tyres - so I'd suspect I could get the car to go even faster. And yes, my tyres are rated "V" so I shouldn't have gone faster than 240kph but ... how can you say no to an open stretch of autobahn and a chance to beat my previous record of 264kph?
- Handling - Also amazing. I've had some amazing fun driving down the autostrada along the cliffs from Milan to Portofino, really giving the 4Motion a run for its money. Not a squeal from the wheels, it hugged the road like the car was glued to it. Really really good fun. Check out that road on Google Maps to see what I am talking about in terms of opportunities for fun.
- Ride - Also fantastic, especially at high speeds. Set the cruise control to 190kph or 200kph and my girlfriend didn't even know I was going that fast until she noticed we were quite overtaking people.
- Brakes - I rate these as an absolute positive despite their sensitivity. They probably saved my life once - I was doing > 200kph on an unlimited 2-lane autobahn section approaching the Dutch border in the overtaking lane, and a Dutch truck pulled out right in front of me. Premonitions of doom before applying the brakes, wondering if braking too hard would cause me to slide and/or flip. No problems. The car handled it perfectly. Amazing. Ask me what I wanted to say to that truck driver ...
- 4Motion - Works really well especially in combination with Alpine tyres - not really a problem in Australia, but over here it really can help, and nice to know you've got that extra security if needed. The only bummer is others in the road in some countries don't have Alpine tyres ... but hey.
- Fuel economy - For city driving and traffic in some cities it's not fantastic, but considering the speeds I am doing on autobahns and if I get a good run, I can average 10.3 litres per 100km, combined, for a 900km or so trip. I think that's pretty amazing. If I push it and try and set new records I get around 13-14l/100km, but what do you expect. I once cruised a 55km stretch at 240kph right after refuelling and burned through I think an eighth of the tank - can't remember. But again, what do you expect?

Lows
- I've had some problems with the Premium Bluetooth package not connecting properly to either an iPhone 3GS or an HTC Desire, and despite a few trips to the dealer I haven't been able to get this fixed. I've heard of similar problems in Audis though, and someone I know eventually managed to get this fixed at a different dealer so I am going to look that dealer up.
- Lack of 5 seats - this has only once been an issue in that I couldn't go on a holiday with another couple and their baby as well. Considering I've owned the car for 16 months or so now though, clearly its not really an issue.
- Rear headroom in the back nearly had me not purchase this car as I am 6'4" - 6'5". But then I figured ... how often will I be in the back? Never. The nice thing about the back though is the large amount of leg room - very large amount - so taller people can just slide down a bit, at least for shorter journeys.

Got to run for a flight, but if people are interested I can post more stories of adventures in this car throughout Europe. It's the car I am absolutely overjoyed to have bought when I moved here from Australia. Now I am that black car zooming past on the autobahn! :banana:

Cheers,

Statesman

Can't believe it but it is almost a year since I have taken delivery of my Passat CC. For anyone out there considering buying one I thought I would share my experience thus far with the main highs and lows

Leagle
09-12-2010, 08:34 AM
Great to hear from some more CC owners!

Justsaycc, great review too - I know what you mean about missing out on the panoramic roof. I was in a bit of a dilemma about that - the roof looks sensational. But perversely I am glad I didnt - you cannot open the roof (tilt only) and the car is tight and cool without it. the CC also looks fantastic sans roof too - as a great coupe should look! Agree with your comments about blu tooth, should be factory standard. But don't wait too long - I have the kufatec unit installed (circa $1k) and it works well with my iPhone 4.

Statesman, I love your review. Unfortunately the maximum limit in Australia is 110kms an hour so we will never appreciate how great the car is at the higher speeds. Keep those stories coming! I can say though that the responsiveness of the engine mean that accelerating to our legal limit is effortless and overtaking is rarely an issue (unless the other car is an RS6 :eek:

Leagle
09-12-2010, 08:40 AM
after over 2 weeks of waiting waiting waiting....

STILL NO RESPOSE!!! AC STILL DEAD~

tried to contact the dealer and VWA.... NO RESPONSE!

Does anyone know a direct phone number for VWA?
They only have email on their website!!!

Try ringing the 1800 VW road service number on your windscreen. They should Know!

Statesman
10-12-2010, 07:09 AM
Statesman, I love your review. Unfortunately the maximum limit in Australia is 110kms an hour so we will never appreciate how great the car is at the higher speeds. Keep those stories coming! I can say though that the responsiveness of the engine mean that accelerating to our legal limit is effortless and overtaking is rarely an issue (unless the other car is an RS6 :eek:

Glad you liked the review!

I thought there were some roads in the Northern Territory where limits were higher or not enforced or not existent?

tentacles1
11-12-2010, 10:21 AM
20,000kms on ours so far and still going strong. Average consumption hovering around 8.6l/100km.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/12/5250352182_7eecb8b8fd-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55131287@N05/5250352182/)
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/12/5250351688_2a4b430882-1.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/55131287@N05/5250351688/)

eggywawa
20-12-2010, 08:19 PM
AC problem update:
2010-NOV-19: sent the car in, diagnosed as FAN failure (which I think it has nothing to do with fan, as fan is fully working)
2010-DEC-10: sent the car in, diagnosed as Compressor failure

I just hit 700km mark....

Booked the car for compressor replacement on 2010-DEC-21

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
update 2010-DEC-22
Aircon fixed under warranty after 3rd dealer visit, now the car is as cool as fridge!! yay!!

the fault is compressor short circuit.

Remedy: replaced compressor (unit: $609 labour: $586)

Silver CC
05-01-2011, 09:33 PM
I bought my CC (seems to be a twin of Leagle's) Oct '09 from Denlo.

I saw it in a pic 6 months before and thought it was the best looking VAG car (VW Audi Group) I'd ever seen but was convinced they'd just furnish it with a tiddler of a TDi - hence my interest ended right there and then.

Looking for a spare car to my Merc SLK55AMG up to 80 grand the R36 popped onto my radar - a bit hardcore to be companion to my already harder-core sportscar. A friend said 'what about the CC?' - when he said it had the R36's engine I had the nearest dealer on the line in under 5 seconds booking their demo for a drive 15 mins later!

Build quality and materials are second to none. Equipment almost without peer in the automotive world - at any price.*

World's best transmission. World's best 4wd system for a roadcar. Active damping. It parks itself. It drives itself (Active Cruise). Touch screen satnav. BT phone kit. Heated and cooled seats. Rear camera. Optical Parking System. Etc etc etc - you go mad just listing them all.

It looks beautiful. Hauntingly beautiful in an almost subtly masculine way. I'd say the design is probably ahead of it's time even today - likely to look fresh 5 years from now (unlike other VAG products which tend to date terribly - I reckon that's by design). It has frameless doors - OMG I LOVE THEM!!! I love the weird teardrop-shaped door mirrors (how cool are they?) and the funky molten shape to the rear light clusters and the amazing duck-tail-almost-hatchback rear-end. It's swoopy, sexy, stunning, and surprising all at once. And yet still looks like a VW to anyone from any angle. Can anyone tell me how you do that?*

I've yet to hear anyone say anything other than 'How long has this been around? I've never heard of it - but it's the most beautiful car I've ever seen!'.*

It sold itself to me in a way no other car has.

I took another demo V6 CC up to Akuna Bay at 6am one Sunday morning - and thrashed it. OMG. I laughed so hard (a kind of muhahahahahahaha on*98 Octane) my throat was hoarse for days it was SO MUCH FUN to drive!! The sheer ability on that crappy but challenging 2-lane country D-road would easily outpace my tiny 400hp (modified) AMG convertible - the CC's DSG/DCC/4Motion all conspired against the forces of nature to deliver an incredible average speed - and so easily I could have done it with one hand!!

It's not just what it does - it's HOW it does it. Last year I drove 3000km across France in 6 super cars including an Audi R8 V8, Gallardo, F430, Porsche Turbo, etc, on the best roads in the Alps and even a stint in a real Formula 1 car, then headed round the Nurburgring in race-prepped M3's, and zapped the new SLS AMG Gullwing around a track in London.

Suffice to say - even if that was the only experience I've had driving fast wheels it would have been a good trip - but it's not.

The CC is - in effect - an R8 - with 120 less horsepower and 2 extra doors. Same tech - different spot in my garage.

I imagine the owners that speak of the CC's smoothness & it's almost cloud like ability to waft over potholes and expansion joints without jarring (on Comfort) have never punted the car to it's limits on Sport. Well neither have I. Because I can't find them. Not because I haven't tried - they're just so high you need a racetrack.

Like all 4Motions the CC understeers going hard but predictably and this can be tamed by alignment setup - or if you're so minded - by an aftermarket Haldex 4wd Controller. Body control on Sport is breathtaking as is the response-time of it's dampers. There was nothing I could do to make it lose composure or lateral grip. The brakes are Supercar territory in response, feel, and ability (I assure you).

The electrically powered steering lacks true feel and some would say is overly light - but as I personally bought this as a luxo-sporty thing its great to not have to manhandle the steering around like in the AMG - and it holds the turn radius on freeways and gentle sweepers without needing minor corrections - taking a massive chunk of hassle out of long-distance driving.

The CC's radar cruise control has got to be the best invention since the automobile! I'd say it saves my Licence daily (it just holds speeds SO well I don't even bother to unless punting hard - I don't curse School Zones anymore cos I'm not the one driving!), and takes about 90% of the effort of driving on freeways away from you. OMG.*

Even after a year - every time I use it my jaw drops. What an awesome option! (it costs $9,000 on a Benz - VW gives it to you for $2,000).

Park Assist not only stuns people - it spooks them out!! Several have checked the boot to see if there was someone hiding in there with a second steering wheel! Optical Parking System with audible alerts front/rear, Rear View Camera with predictive lines, wing mirrors that turn down on selecting reverse - it makes this 4.7m long car ridiculously easy to park. If you can remember what button to press to make it all happen that is...

It's almost disturbingly quiet at speed, but a beautiful turbine-like V6 note when punted - and an unusual pop-off-valve-like sound when changing up under full throttle. No idea why but it sure is cool!

Under 'Sport' on the DSG the throttle response and travel, steering, damping, and tranny all tighten up - when used with Sport on the chassis control the car sits up and listens. It can handle ANYTHING you ask of it. It's as comfortable as any Bentley I've driven (also a VAG...coincidence?), and yet as alive and surefooted as an R8 when asked - just chose your settings and there you have it.

And despite all the tech - it has real character. It's big, way bigger than a 4-seater has any right to be. It's even bigger than the 5-seat Passat it gets most of it's stuff from. It lopes along lazily most of the time like a labrador, the comfort sublime - but poke it and it salutes and you have the whole German Army at your disposal - taut and honed. A 4-door usually trades ability and sex appeal for practicality - the CC trades a bit of practicality to deliver more ability and sex appeal than most sportscars! It's not really a sedan - it's a sports car with extra doors - I'd say it's in a niche all it's own. Have you ever thought what it would look like as a 2-door? Almost the same I'd imagine. That says it all!

The interior is just a about the nicest I have seen, in every way carrying through with the promise of the exterior.

In summary it's the most amazing car I've ever owned (and there have been quite a few!) - I actually miss it when in another city or country - I really do. I'd say it's*the best all-in-one motoring package that money can buy - AT ANY PRICE. The equivalent Benz would be the CLS500 - at over 3 times the price and it's NOT even available with 4wd as an OPTION!!!*

There are downsides - it drinks fuel like a small-block V8 (but performs like one - buy the diesel if you care), and there isn't a VW Serviceperson in the Southern Hemisphere who could find his ass if you handed it to them. More a VW than a CC issue - but I've resolved to never take it to a VW dealer for anything ever again - even warranty. They are SO useless I wonder why they are paid. It's easier just to enjoy the car and pay a mechanic I can trust to keep the party rolling. The car is so cheap (relative to what it offers) - I see it as a trivial price to pay (needless to say cost is not a big problem for me - for others I just hope your car works the way the Germans designed it to!) for motoring nirvana.!*

Enjoy your CC's - and if your thinking of buying one - look a little closer - you'll be amazed what you find. I still can't believe how lucky I was to discover it..

JD*
Sydney Australia

gead
05-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Nice write up....I think they missed a trick with the rear end....light clusters just don't work with the rest of the finely chiseled lines....wish I could graft the cc nose and wing mirrors onto my r36 wagon...

Are you sure the sport setting firms up all those things you mentioned?

Pook
11-01-2011, 06:34 PM
I've had mine since August '09. I've got a Black on black, V6, Adaptive Cruise, Climate Seats, Park Assist, RNS510 Nav with Cam.

The best feature for me is the Adaptive Cruise Control, best money I've spent. On a recent run from Sydney to Byron it made the drive so easy.

The climate seats are great in summer, although hopefully some new tint today will negate the oven effect I get in the car (black on black is the issue here, not the car).

It isn't at its best in city driving (although lights to lights it is hard to beat), I'll take my MKVI GTI over it when traveling around the city or anything seriously twisty, but for a longer or flowing drive it is the best car I've owned. It does understeer badly when cornering at pace, but you can drive around it.

The boot is deep, but quite shallow, which can be an issue with all the families gear needed for holidays, the only time I think I should have got the R36 wagon..

I get 14ltr - 15ltrs/100km on average. I can get 8ltr/100kms on long country drives, but most of my kms are city.

Overall I love the car.

ScottyP
11-01-2011, 08:55 PM
I bought my CC (seems to be a twin of Leagle's) Oct '09 from Denlo.

I saw it in a pic 6 months before and thought it was the best looking VAG car (VW Audi Group) I'd ever seen but was convinced they'd just furnish it with a tiddler of a TDi - hence my interest ended right there and then.

Looking for a spare car to my Merc SLK55AMG up to 80 grand the R36 popped onto my radar - a bit hardcore to be companion to my already harder-core sportscar. A friend said 'what about the CC?' - when he said it had the R36's engine I had the nearest dealer on the line in under 5 seconds booking their demo for a drive 15 mins later!

Build quality and materials are second to none. Equipment almost without peer in the automotive world - at any price.*

World's best transmission. World's best 4wd system for a roadcar. Active damping. It parks itself. It drives itself (Active Cruise). Touch screen satnav. BT phone kit. Heated and cooled seats. Rear camera. Optical Parking System. Etc etc etc - you go mad just listing them all.

It looks beautiful. Hauntingly beautiful in an almost subtly masculine way. I'd say the design is probably ahead of it's time even today - likely to look fresh 5 years from now (unlike other VAG products which tend to date terribly - I reckon that's by design). It has frameless doors - OMG I LOVE THEM!!! I love the weird teardrop-shaped door mirrors (how cool are they?) and the funky molten shape to the rear light clusters and the amazing duck-tail-almost-hatchback rear-end. It's swoopy, sexy, stunning, and surprising all at once. And yet still looks like a VW to anyone from any angle. Can anyone tell me how you do that?*

I've yet to hear anyone say anything other than 'How long has this been around? I've never heard of it - but it's the most beautiful car I've ever seen!'.*

It sold itself to me in a way no other car has.

I took another demo V6 CC up to Akuna Bay at 6am one Sunday morning - and thrashed it. OMG. I laughed so hard (a kind of muhahahahahahaha on*98 Octane) my throat was hoarse for days it was SO MUCH FUN to drive!! The sheer ability on that crappy but challenging 2-lane country D-road would easily outpace my tiny 400hp (modified) AMG convertible - the CC's DSG/DCC/4Motion all conspired against the forces of nature to deliver an incredible average speed - and so easily I could have done it with one hand!!

It's not just what it does - it's HOW it does it. Last year I drove 3000km across France in 6 super cars including an Audi R8 V8, Gallardo, F430, Porsche Turbo, etc, on the best roads in the Alps and even a stint in a real Formula 1 car, then headed round the Nurburgring in race-prepped M3's, and zapped the new SLS AMG Gullwing around a track in London.

Suffice to say - even if that was the only experience I've had driving fast wheels it would have been a good trip - but it's not.

The CC is - in effect - an R8 - with 120 less horsepower and 2 extra doors. Same tech - different spot in my garage.

I imagine the owners that speak of the CC's smoothness & it's almost cloud like ability to waft over potholes and expansion joints without jarring (on Comfort) have never punted the car to it's limits on Sport. Well neither have I. Because I can't find them. Not because I haven't tried - they're just so high you need a racetrack.

Like all 4Motions the CC understeers going hard but predictably and this can be tamed by alignment setup - or if you're so minded - by an aftermarket Haldex 4wd Controller. Body control on Sport is breathtaking as is the response-time of it's dampers. There was nothing I could do to make it lose composure or lateral grip. The brakes are Supercar territory in response, feel, and ability (I assure you).

The electrically powered steering lacks true feel and some would say is overly light - but as I personally bought this as a luxo-sporty thing its great to not have to manhandle the steering around like in the AMG - and it holds the turn radius on freeways and gentle sweepers without needing minor corrections - taking a massive chunk of hassle out of long-distance driving.

The CC's radar cruise control has got to be the best invention since the automobile! I'd say it saves my Licence daily (it just holds speeds SO well I don't even bother to unless punting hard - I don't curse School Zones anymore cos I'm not the one driving!), and takes about 90% of the effort of driving on freeways away from you. OMG.*

Even after a year - every time I use it my jaw drops. What an awesome option! (it costs $9,000 on a Benz - VW gives it to you for $2,000).

Park Assist not only stuns people - it spooks them out!! Several have checked the boot to see if there was someone hiding in there with a second steering wheel! Optical Parking System with audible alerts front/rear, Rear View Camera with predictive lines, wing mirrors that turn down on selecting reverse - it makes this 4.7m long car ridiculously easy to park. If you can remember what button to press to make it all happen that is...

It's almost disturbingly quiet at speed, but a beautiful turbine-like V6 note when punted - and an unusual pop-off-valve-like sound when changing up under full throttle. No idea why but it sure is cool!

Under 'Sport' on the DSG the throttle response and travel, steering, damping, and tranny all tighten up - when used with Sport on the chassis control the car sits up and listens. It can handle ANYTHING you ask of it. It's as comfortable as any Bentley I've driven (also a VAG...coincidence?), and yet as alive and surefooted as an R8 when asked - just chose your settings and there you have it.

And despite all the tech - it has real character. It's big, way bigger than a 4-seater has any right to be. It's even bigger than the 5-seat Passat it gets most of it's stuff from. It lopes along lazily most of the time like a labrador, the comfort sublime - but poke it and it salutes and you have the whole German Army at your disposal - taut and honed. A 4-door usually trades ability and sex appeal for practicality - the CC trades a bit of practicality to deliver more ability and sex appeal than most sportscars! It's not really a sedan - it's a sports car with extra doors - I'd say it's in a niche all it's own. Have you ever thought what it would look like as a 2-door? Almost the same I'd imagine. That says it all!

The interior is just a about the nicest I have seen, in every way carrying through with the promise of the exterior.

In summary it's the most amazing car I've ever owned (and there have been quite a few!) - I actually miss it when in another city or country - I really do. I'd say it's*the best all-in-one motoring package that money can buy - AT ANY PRICE. The equivalent Benz would be the CLS500 - at over 3 times the price and it's NOT even available with 4wd as an OPTION!!!*

There are downsides - it drinks fuel like a small-block V8 (but performs like one - buy the diesel if you care), and there isn't a VW Serviceperson in the Southern Hemisphere who could find his ass if you handed it to them. More a VW than a CC issue - but I've resolved to never take it to a VW dealer for anything ever again - even warranty. They are SO useless I wonder why they are paid. It's easier just to enjoy the car and pay a mechanic I can trust to keep the party rolling. The car is so cheap (relative to what it offers) - I see it as a trivial price to pay (needless to say cost is not a big problem for me - for others I just hope your car works the way the Germans designed it to!) for motoring nirvana.!*

Enjoy your CC's - and if your thinking of buying one - look a little closer - you'll be amazed what you find. I still can't believe how lucky I was to discover it..

JD*
Sydney Australia

Hi Silver CC (JD)

Do you happen to live in the East? I think I may have bailed you up for a chat about your CC around a month ago in Hopewell St Paddington (just down from the Fringe Bar). The bloke I spoke to raved about it and said it was a better car than his AMG! Was it you?

Cheers,
Scott

PS - still consdiering a CC!

weiero
13-01-2011, 03:55 PM
(02) 9695 6000 Ask for Customer Complaints

R36 Dreamer
14-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Silver,

Great write up, I agree with you 100% about how good the cars are. I have loved every minute of owning my R36.

Leagle
19-01-2011, 11:10 AM
Silver, caught up with your post, an excellent review!

Incidentally, I have just come back from a trip to Tassie. I should have taken the CC but I decided against it and hired a new Commodore SV6 instead (equipped with the new IQ display).

Interestingly this provided for a very flattering comparison for BOTh my CC as well as the Commodore.

I may make this the subject of a new thread in the future, but in the meantime I wanted to share a few observations:

1. The Commodore is purpose built to suit our Aussie roads. Driving it on varying and challenging Tasmanian roads revealed to me how well GMH has got the handling/ride compromise. Certainly a lot better than a lot of Euro cars that I have previously owned or driven (which could either handle or ride but not do both). However upon coming back to the CC, it also revealed to me something about the CC that I did not think about before. The CC is possibly the first Euro car that I have owned that actually rides as well (if not better) to an Aussie car! And that is in the standard "Adaptive Chassis" setting!

2. The Commodore actually surprised me how far it has come ahead in technology. Traction technology, ABS, 6 air bags etc all standard. The new IQ touch screen was (almost) as impressive as the RNS510 in my CC! However, suffice to say, it cannot touch the CC for gadgetry or sheer quality and refinement. But of course this does reflect the different price points and markets of both cars.

3. However, in short, I concluded this: at BOTH of their respective price points, BOTH the CC and Commodore arguably represent superior value for money. Now thats not really a surprise for a mainstream Aussie sedan. But how many Euro cars can you honestly say represent fantastic value for money in Australia?

kleung
19-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Incidentally, I have just come back from a trip to Tassie. I should have taken the CC but I decided against it and hired a new Commodore SV6 instead (equipped with the new IQ display).

Hah. me too, except I had an SV6 Sportwagon, without the IQ. I just took a trip with a bunch of friends around Tassie between Christmas and New Years.

I may make this the subject of a new thread in the future

I mentioned posting an R36 Wagon vs SV6 Sportwagon comparo in another thread, but didn't get any bites. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts, and I have some detailed contributions of my own, if you want to go ahead and post a new thread.

3. However, in short, I concluded this: at BOTH of their respective price points, BOTH the CC and Commodore arguably represent superior value for money. Now thats not really a surprise for a mainstream Aussie sedan. But how many Euro cars can you honestly say represent fantastic value for money in Australia?

No question about that - regardless of whether you are a Ford or Holden fan, there is no doubt that the Falcadore represents good value for money. The rivalry between the two makes certainly contributes to their constant improvement, but I was pleasantly surprised at the huge (positive) difference between the SV6 I had this time around, and the VZ sedan (another rental) that I drove up to Sydney from Melbourne 4-5 years ago.

As for value-for-money Euro cars, it doesn't really get any better than VW, IMHO.

Leagle
19-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Kleung I just posted another thread on the SV6 (sedan) vs CC/R36 comparison. Agree that the latest Commodore is a VAST improvement over the VZ model (I actually drove one in Cairns in 2007 and was less than impressed with it).