PDA

View Full Version : $20k Polo Hatchback beats $400k Porsche - Car of the Year 2010

pog
25-11-2010, 09:57 AM
"The Volkswagen Polo has won Drive's annual Car of the Year award for 2010, outclassing a field of 47 contenders that included one of the fastest, most desirable supercars on the market."

Volkswagen Polo 77 TSI wins Drive car of the Year (http://smh.drive.com.au/car-of-the-year/20k-hatchback-beats-400k-porsche-20101125-187tp.html)

Hail22
25-11-2010, 11:38 AM
Just read it YEAH!!! BABY!!! YEAH!!!!!!

Buller_Scott
25-11-2010, 11:48 AM
lol, i think lumping the polo in with a GT3 is a little misguided- it's like comparing apples and... well, it's like comparing apples and pork crackling.

the only thing that the two design teams would have had in common, is setting out to ensure that a human can sit in the things...

that's not to say that i dont rate the car VERY VERY highly...

lol- i can tell you that the guys in the states are fuming that they dont get this car over there. they want it BAD!

team_v
25-11-2010, 11:58 AM
lol, i think lumping the polo in with a GT3 is a little misguided- it's like comparing apples and... well, it's like comparing apples and pork crackling.

the only thing that the two design teams would have had in common, is setting out to ensure that a human can sit in the things...

that's not to say that i dont rate the car VERY VERY highly...

lol- i can tell you that the guys in the states are fuming that they dont get this car over there. they want it BAD!

They'll get the A1 when it comes out there next year, same car.

It is a bit odd putting a whole bunch of cars in together when they have no apparent connection apart from a form of transport.

This is why i prefer the WCTOY method (grouping based on green, sports, design and general)

vvt172
25-11-2010, 12:54 PM
How about the PCOTY for the Polo GTI next year?

mikinoz
25-11-2010, 02:33 PM
So do VW pay for that result?

Hail22
25-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Unfortunately for most people VW doesn't pay anyone out...lol Porsche is owned by VW/Audi. Audi is owned by VW, Daimler owns Mercedes to which there is talks VW is buying Daimler, BMW is currently thinking of floating some shares to which VW/Fiat want.

Latest news it that Mabu Dhala (company that owned 5% of Ferrari) has had their shares revoked and taken back by Ferrari for which will soon to be a 20% share float which VW is interested in.

If they can't win a war...why not buy out the motor industry?

Hence why Lambos etc are going down the gurgler...as much as they're frigging hot and off the chain...they all look similar to a form of Audi...i really miss the days of the old Lamborghini Diablo and Lamborghini Countach :(

Hooti3
25-11-2010, 03:18 PM
=Porsche is owned by VW/Audi

It's the other way around.

Porsche takes over Volkswagen | Car Advice | Reviews (http://www.caradvice.com.au/11106/porsche-takes-over-volkswagen/)

But in August 2009, Porsche SE and Volkswagen AG reached an agreement that the two companies would merge in 2011, to form an "Integrated Automotive Group

Hail22
25-11-2010, 03:20 PM
March 7th, 2008 Remember the GFC mate?

Hiiii Volkswagen Buys Porsche After Porsche Bought Volkswagen | The Truth About Cars (http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/04/volkswagen-buys-porsche-after-porsche-bought-volkswagen/)

Also http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jul2009/gb20090720_048461.htm

Sorry to burst ya bubble...but i;m quite the car freak ;)

Ferrari eyeing out http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor-news/vw-eyeing-off-ferrari-20101116-17uu6.html

Hooti3
25-11-2010, 03:28 PM
There is no hard evidence there that it was bought back.

Just speculation and alleged "reports".

As far as I can tell Volkswagen is still a subsidiary of Porsche.

Hail22
25-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Volkswagen to buy 49.9% of Porsche in first stage of merger — Autoblog (http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/22/volkswagen-to-buy-49-9-of-porsche-in-first-stage-of-merger/)

It's Official :)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703567304575628602671192406.html?m od=googlenews_wsj lol i guess the Germans are quite hungry to rule the world...damn the GFC destroys American Giants...but boosts the Germans xD

Hooti3
25-11-2010, 03:34 PM
But Porsche still own 50.76% of Volkswagen.

They are merging which would explain it all.

Hail22
25-11-2010, 04:26 PM
In the best interest for Germany;s economy it would suit them best its like what VW/Audi going on...i guess the executives love sharing the same bed...cough cough...anyways back on the subject sorry for the off topic crud.

Ralfi
25-11-2010, 07:03 PM
All these accolades are getting me more hyped for the 5dr GTI. That's 3 COTR awards for the new Polo....

Work is adding the VW Caddy Maxi to the fleet, which I think shares a similar engine to the Polo (77TSI DSG)? So might get to experience a more sluggish vehicle with the same power plant.
;)

Buller_Scott
26-11-2010, 12:13 AM
All these accolades are getting me more hyped for the 5dr GTI. That's 3 COTR awards for the new Polo....

Work is adding the VW Caddy Maxi to the fleet, which I think shares a similar engine to the Polo (77TSI DSG)? So might get to experience a more sluggish vehicle with the same power plant.
;)

the new gti still has me feeling dubious....

i'd still want to see what's going on with the supercharger flap and the wet 7speed dsg, because anyone on here who buys one is hardly going to keep it stock (if we go by what we saw with the 9n3, it'll be balls to the wall, trying to get the most out of that 1.4 twincharger).

i'd have really, really considered trading in my current polo 9n3 diesel for the new model TDI in pepper grey, IF IF IF they had brought out the 77kw model. luckily, they didnt, which is good for me, because as much as i adore the idea of a 1.6TDI pumping out 320+nm with a simple tune, apparently the boys in the states (tdiclub.com) are seeing lots of high pressure fuel pump issues in VW's first bash at common-rails....

even then, the polo is still a very nice car (excluding all talk re engines). with the tsi, i'd have no problem telling my cousins jap-import friends that it's just a 1.2. especially after a tune.

p.s. the new caddy looks siiiiick. if only they had it in 4motion. i'd have one for the snow (so i dont have to put chains on all the time).

BR @ ON
26-11-2010, 08:03 PM
POLO winning the car of the year is OLD news right?

Why are we talking about it now? It is indeed the reason I went for it couple of months ago. And evident in the brochure that I have read way before that...

Anyways, nothing to fault it for what it costed me. It sure has my votes!

Casper
27-11-2010, 08:39 AM
The award in the brochure is for "World Car of the Year". That award originates from some European organisation I think... This thread is about the Polo winning "Car of the Year" as determined by Drive - part of an Australian news organisation... There are lots of different Car of the Year awards every year, given out by different motoring groups and reviewers...

Hail22
27-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm feeling a bit cautious over the Polo GTI see how so far the TSI looks...well congested already with a single charge (Turbo) but with twin charge (Turbo and Supercharged Engine) i have a weird feeling about the small space creating either high amounts of heat due to double friction (Yes it has been in Europe...however our Aussie conditions are one of the toughest).

If any of you have factual evidence not to worry about such issues post them up :)

BR @ ON
30-11-2010, 08:32 AM
The award in the brochure is for "World Car of the Year". That award originates from some European organisation I think... This thread is about the Polo winning "Car of the Year" as determined by Drive - part of an Australian news organisation... There are lots of different Car of the Year awards every year, given out by different motoring groups and reviewers...

but seriously, who cares what Drive thinks? Carsales.com.au is a much better source in Australia anyway in my opinion.

And if all else fails, I am quite happy with my POLO been the WCOTY just the way it is.