PDA

View Full Version : Best diesel?

Dirty R50
24-11-2010, 03:21 PM
Has anyone compared the different oil company diesel products in their cars? I'm using United, after using Shell since I got the car, because it is $0.03/l cheaper than the Shell near me. I can't say I can feel a difference in performance and consumption. If there are products that is going to cause damage to the engine, I'd also like to know.

Thanks.

Transporter
24-11-2010, 04:51 PM
I use only BP, their premium diesel has the highest CN in SA. Every now and then I use WURTH CRD additive. The Treg is running as a swiss clock. :)

Greg Roles
24-11-2010, 07:26 PM
You'd be mad to use general diesels in a nice new oiler, as one bad tank can cause absolute havoc to the fuel system, let alone the risk of an algae infection. I use BP exclusively, and Caltex if I'm stuck. Not even Shell is on my radar, and I'd actually drain the tank when I got home if I had no option but to use anything else. Sure it often comes from the same wholesaler, but I've yet to read of a BP or Caltex induced problem, whereas there's several past tales of woe with Shell and the cheapies. Hey just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.

Your car, your choice. Fuel system comonents are expensive, especially if it's a current common rail. It's not VW's fault if the fuel you fill it with is bad, so there goes the warranty. Using a premium fuel is cheap in comaprison in my humble opinion, but yeah I agree the permium vs normal diesel means zero to the bumometer. Bummer, literally!