PDA

View Full Version : B1 Passat upgrades

vanders87
20-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Hi peeps,
I've got my 76 B1 passat L with a nice adz motor in it at the moment. Runs pretty good and all but i'm looking to upgrade the suspension. I'm a mechanic and i was doing a repair on a b4 audi a few weeks a go and noticed the lower A arms are nearly identical as well as the subframe. I've been to a wrecker to try and have a look at some parts but they don't have what i'm after.
What I need to know:

1) Are the A arms interchangeable from B1 to B2,B3 or B4? I've noticed they are chunkyier and that they'll bolt in with some very minor tweaking but throw my camber out a bit, WIN!

2) What setup is the strut? is it a one piece hub and knuckle with the mcpherson strut? or do they bolt apart??? coil over options..... this will also give me bigger brakes

3) Whats the steering rack setup? maybe i can switch racks around and get power steering?? this is the least important option.

The project will eventually involve an AEB dropping in too..... :D

Hope you guys can help
Phil

huss
29-11-2010, 02:31 PM
I've heard that there are unfortunately no coil overs for the B1 Passats, for the fronts you can make them by welding coilover sleeves onto the front struts... rears, you will have to check your suspension, but if you have a separate coil & shock, you will not be able to convert it to coilover. if you ...have a strut in the rear, you can weld coilover sleeves on them too.
There are a few guys that have made coilovers for a B chassis car at DOG, http://www.dog.mp3equipped.com/
But in my opinion its all too much work, better off getting heavy duty springs and gas struts as that's the simplest option.

Peter Jones
04-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Yeah, the design of the steering arm on the B1 struts makes it almost impossible to modify.

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2010/05/P1070489-1.jpg

huss
23-02-2011, 10:12 PM
When you do that AEB drop I want to be around, so Don't forget to invite me :)