PDA

View Full Version : If wait time is around 6 months and i want to trade in how does it work ?

nomodlowkmgti
14-11-2010, 12:55 PM
I was just thinking how the dealers do a order if there is a trade in and car is a 6 month wait .Does he give you a trade in price now in writing and balance and in 6 months you pay the balance .Has any one done this and has the dealer put up the price or said the trade is not worth enough now.This is the sort of thing that the extended wait times can effect.

William_Foster
14-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I didn't do a trade, but I think from memory my contract said something they value the car at the time of sale based upon the current state with the kilometres expected to be travelled at the time of trade-in; if the condition of the car or kilometres changes greatly they can then value the trade-in down and make you pay more money.

I can't be sure though; and other dealers may have different contracts.

jaedencook
14-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I tried the trade in option, basically they valued it the day I was there off of the Redbook value but couldn't pay it until the new vehicle arrived (so basically they give you a rough figure). When the Polo arrived they were going to have to re-value it based off the extra kilometers driven & red book value etc then ring their merchant to see what he would pay me for it.
I didn't end up doing trade in but if you absolutely do want to then its best to order the Polo and then value trade-in when it arrives.

From my experiance anyway

Franki
24-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Probably no longer relevant, however i waited 3 months for mine and am going to pick it up tomorrow morning - The dealer gave me an exact figure at the start of this process, factoring in the additional k's that would be driven, and three months later he has confirmed that the trade in price is still good.

As long as you find a dealer who'll look after you it should be sweet!

Greg Roles
24-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Get it in writing, shop around, and be CAREFUL, several members have been burnt by this over my three years here.

gavs
25-02-2011, 07:00 AM
You will get the figure now in writing, HOWEVER. It does say in your contract of sale, that even though you have a figure in writing, it is still subject to a re-evaluation at handover stage so you may get the same price or it will drop, it just depends on your dealer and if your car has suddenly dropped in alot of value, i.e suddenly is approaching timing belt service for example.

GTI JOE
25-02-2011, 12:42 PM
Exactly gavs, I tried it with my trade-in and they said they would not look at it until swapsees. Ended up selling it privately for around $3000 more:)

gavs
25-02-2011, 03:36 PM
I tried it with my trade-in and they said they would not look at it until swapsees. Ended up selling it privately for around $3000 more

My plan too :)

Grabman
25-02-2011, 05:18 PM
I did a pre-trade with my dealer based on the fact I was going to be away for most of January and didn't need a car for second half of December due to being on holiday and could use the wife's car if needed. I ordered my Polo in August and we set the trade figure then, when I handed it over that figure was still valid and all I had left to pay was balance on delivery of Polo in late Jan. When my Polo was delayed again the dealer arranged for a loan car for me from another franchise in their operation(loaner only had 290km on clock when i picked it up). So for last month I've been driving the loaner free of charge, finally pick my car up on Monday and get to give back the loaner....

GTI JOE
25-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Wow Grabman...pretty good dealership to do all that, I'm sure most wouldn't.