PDA

View Full Version : Mk5 Golf/Jetta Problem Registry

Pages : [1] 2

acdcfan
07-05-2007, 10:38 PM
I though to start this thread where we can post all our warranty issues that all VW owners may have had, may have and their fixes if under warranty or $$$ if out of pocket expense
I'll start first, maybe not much but still
1 rattle rear right hand door :mad:
2 rattle on top of centre console
and now something different
strange thing happened today. When I unlocked my car today, red LED light on drivers side door stayed alight for duration of my trip. :?:
When I got home locked my car and unlocked it back light when off. Another thing is that when I switch engine off I get noise that sounds like air coming out when empty
bottle submerged under water at certain speed and sound changes as it comes to an end ( that is as close as I can explain it). It does not affect speed, gear change, starting up or anything else.. :???:
Anyone has any ideas?

Senior mods, maybe we can have this thread pinned to the top so it can be easyly found:rolleyes:

brackie
08-05-2007, 07:16 AM
OK, I've stuck the thread.
It's probably a good idea to (before posting) do a search for the problem that you have. For example, the noises after switching off have been covered before (coolant pump?) as have the rattles and some possible remedies.

acdcfan
08-05-2007, 01:23 PM
OK, I've stuck the thread.
as have the rattles and some possible remedies.

thanks
I have but i didn't know it was water pump.:? or how to fix ?
It was worring me when I hear that sound., will look now for fix if posted

rabbitoh
08-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Yep, I have a pretty major problem with my R32.

The problem is, it is either in Germany or on a boat somewhere, rather than my garage ;)

acdcfan
08-05-2007, 10:39 PM

The problem is, it is either in Germany or on a boat somewhere, rather than my garage ;)

I may get my front spring checked. When I am reversing out of my driveway and turn I can feel that sound in my right foot sort of

edit

Booked my car for warranty inspection for 21st of May .
Will post results

angry shot
09-05-2007, 10:08 PM

i is got the same problem... ay ;-)

4potscreamer
10-05-2007, 10:28 PM
Its funny you mention that ACDCFAN. Just the other night my drivers door red light did exactly the same thing. Turned the car off and has never done the same thing since. I'm getting my car back from the dealer tommorrow from a minor service (6000km's) and a warrnanty repair list that is a mile long.

3 dash board rattles
1 blown drivers door speaker
1 centre console rattle
Rear tail gate rattle
A misterious noise when you hit any serious undulation in the road
Replace centre arm rest with leather one that never came from the factory new. (can you believe that a car with full leather never came with a leather arm rest)

All this in just 6000k's. I'm actually scared to lower it now in the chance i will be devoting all my spare time fixing rattles

acdcfan
10-05-2007, 11:25 PM
I want to add to my list of problems noises coming from the rear when going over speed humps, but as posted in this forum before it is a sway bar that needs tightening
Will get that looked at week after next

see Brackie I found an answer.......... (poke his tongue out) nah nah nah nah nah

acdcfan
10-05-2007, 11:29 PM
A mysterious noise when you hit any serious undulation in the road
All this in just 6000k's. I'm actually scared to lower it now in the chance i will be devoting all my spare time fixing rattles

If it's from the rear.... get a sway bar looked at
Mine has less than 6000km

Subie25L
11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
If it's from the rear.... get a sway bar looked at
Mine has less than 6000km

Mine was about 6000km too.

Also had the red light thing twice in 10,000km, so no biggy, just weird.

acdcfan
12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
Mine was about 6000km too.

Also had the red light thing twice in 10,000km, so no biggy, just weird.

mine has done it three times now. Actually this morning while car has been stationary whole night.

acdcfan
14-05-2007, 01:16 PM
another problem I got is that electric motor for drivers side window is noisy.
getting it checked today.
I am so annoyed with it. have had no problems if this kind until now

sTeeDi
20-05-2007, 09:58 AM
The red light thing also happened to me about a week and a half ago as well.

I initially thought it was because I locked the doors instead of having the car automatically lock after take-off. But it hasn't happened again.

I have however been having problems with my MK5 starting in the mornings, it's getting a bit colder where I live now so it's happening more frequently.

Dealership called me last week to ask how things were going with the car, I mentioned the cold start problem, and I have to admit they weren't very confident in their answer.

He wrote off the problem as "user error" thinking I was not waiting long enough before cranking (even though i told him i wait for the glow plug light to go off, and initially even waited another 15 seconds after the glow plug light to turn off before attempting to crank!). I basically had to lead him in the analysis that there could be a problem with the coolant sensor/glow plug system when I mentioned this he said give it another go and call us if the problem continues.

I know I am not very technical, but geez! you'd think this "technician" would be a little more helpful in his diagnosis.

Gonna call them again on Monday to book in a check up.

BTW thanks to this site and TDIClub, I've learned more in the last couple of months about my car and Diesels in general.

brackie
20-05-2007, 12:03 PM
You definitely shouldn't be having starting problems with a new car...especially a direct injection motor. Hell...the weather isn't even cold yet! Guys in Canada, Russia and Finland have them starting first pop in -40 degrees!

Unfortunately for we owners of hi-tech cars the training of the "technicians" hasn't caught up in many places. Insist that it's scanned and fixed. A car that won't start is no car at all.

acdcfan
20-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Drivers side window got checked. No fault found. I was told to monitor it and wait until it brakes down.
Tomorrow going to dealer to get other annoying things fixed

pinzvidz
20-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Drivers side window got checked. No fault found. I was told to monitor it and wait until it brakes down.

That's not acceptable... if you think it's noisy, ask them to compare it with another one, say a new one on the sales yard, WHILST you're there. Being asked to monitor it and wait for it to break down is a load of crap. If service advisors told customers that at my dealership, they would be roasted!

acdcfan
21-05-2007, 08:53 PM
That's not acceptable... if you think it's noisy, ask them to compare it with another one, say a new one on the sales yard, WHILST you're there. Being asked to monitor it and wait for it to break down is a load of crap. If service advisors told customers that at my dealership, they would be roasted!

They've done all that and couldn't find a fault. Funny thing is that noise is there only when you open it first time after a car has been sitting for period of time but not after that. Pity you are not in charge at my dealership

back to my original post.
rattle at rear right hand door was a speaker
tighten screws on center console.
noise from the rear is that plastic thing what should we call it
and red LED light- apparently module needs replacing ( of what kind I don't know) and it is getting ordered from east
Still monitoring drivers side window

flu!d
30-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Information just came through to dealerships regarding the red LED on the door staying on 'and' starting issues on BKD engined Golf's and Jetta's with certain PCM's.

So take your vehicle to your dealer and in the friendly and approachable manner that you always approach your dealer in (basically, the way you would expect to be treated in your line of work from day to day) 'ask' them about peforming the software updates to rectify your issue 'if' it meats the criteria (not all BKD engined Golf's or Jettas have the same PCM).

drb999
30-05-2007, 10:05 PM
Does anyone have an issue with their driver's door not closing properly and that it looks like it has been dropped? Basically the front door overlaps with the back door because it is slightly dropped and the only time it slides into place is when it is slammed hard. It catches the latch and as it's catching it, it lifts the door and closes properly.

I'm taking it to get checked out, but just wanted to know if it is common.

See attached photos.

acdcfan
31-05-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm taking it to get checked out, but just wanted to know if it is common.
See attached photos.

No problems here. My doors functioning properly.

acdcfan
31-05-2007, 07:45 PM
Information just came through to dealerships regarding the red LED on the door staying on 'and' starting issues on BKD engined Golf's and Jetta's with certain PCM's.

So take your vehicle to your dealer and in the friendly and approachable manner that you always approach your dealer in (basically, the way you would expect to be treated in your line of work from day to day) 'ask' them about peforming the software updates to rectify your issue 'if' it meats the criteria (not all BKD engined Golf's or Jettas have the same PCM).

thank you for that update. I will give them a ring next week to find out when they expect module to arrive and ask them about software update

denilu
01-06-2007, 03:34 PM
Just got a notice regarding having to bring GTi in for a software upgrade for Engine Control Unit. Anyone know what this is about?

mikinoz
01-06-2007, 09:39 PM
See other threads in the MKV forum denilu!

And g'day from me!

Bazzamon
06-06-2007, 10:23 AM
Talk about a mob whingers.... Try a new Omega Commodore then youll have something to whinge & complain about. My wifes company dunnydore has been back to Holden for 28 days now for a toilet roll long list of serious things. e.g. boot jumping open when cornering, Wont start when hot.on and on. Here you lot complain about a bit of a rattle. & the locking light checking itself.. Give me a break....... Bazz lol

datracer99
06-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Talk about a mob whingers.... Try a new Omega Commodore then youll have something to whinge & complain about. My wifes company dunnydore has been back to Holden for 28 days now for a toilet roll long list of serious things. e.g. boot jumping open when cornering, Wont start when hot.on and on. Here you lot complain about a bit of a rattle. & the locking light checking itself.. Give me a break....... Bazz lol

Thats why I don't take much notice of the reliability surveys, which put the golf way down the list for warranty claims.
Many people on the forum have had issues, and expect them to be fixed - we buy a premium product and expect it to be 100%. But the problems are mostly fairly minor.

Other makes (especially locally made) have a lot more major issues - engines getting pulled out of commodores due to leaking seals, replacing gearboxes, brake problems on the current falcon etc.

The good thing with this forum is knowing what those common problems are so we can address it with the dealer easily - knowledge is power:idea:

Keep up the posts, even on those niggling problems.

Goneincognito
14-06-2007, 11:10 AM

What exactly is the problem with the LED? I have the same thing and my dealer plays dumb whenever I tell them about it. If I went to the armed with a little more info, it may change their tune.

denilu
14-06-2007, 11:28 AM
The LED stayed on for me on a short trip the w/end. When I arrived I got out and locked car as per normal. It then worked fine. I had the ECU software upgrade done two days earlier and hadn't had LED prob before then. Haven't had it since w/end either. Hoping it was a once off thing!

sTeeDi
14-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Denilu,

Did you have any starting problems with your car? (just wondering why you had a ECU upgrade) I PM'd flu!d but haven't heard back yet.

Just wondering how long ago you were contacted about the ECU upgrade.

thanks....

denilu
14-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi Denilu,

Did you have any starting problems with your car? (just wondering why you had a ECU upgrade) I PM'd flu!d but haven't heard back yet.

Just wondering how long ago you were contacted about the ECU upgrade.

thanks....

Hi mate

I had the ECU upgrade done because I rec'd letter asking me to have it done. I had no probs starting car at all.

acdcfan
14-06-2007, 08:44 PM

I am taking mine tomorrow for replacement of a module in regards to LED light staying on

pinzvidz
14-06-2007, 11:38 PM

LOL!!! Holden's 1 Billion Dollar baby...

I've worked in dealerships for 20 years, and I can tell you some classic stories. Kia are probably the worst out of 'em all. Every Kia that came in for a first service had a 3 page long R/O of problems! And then they were back every week after that, either on a tow truck, or with a dipstick cheapskate Kia owner screaming and yelling abuse at anyone in the dealership! Hehehe...
Mercedes-Benz are not much better either, plenty always coming in on tow trucks. And good ol' Toyota. Camry and Aurion are having a great time at the moment with ****e build quality issues and electronics problems.

All I can say is, think yourselves lucky. I think VW are building a better product than ever, and it's showing in their "leaps and bounds" ever-increasing sales figures! Good ol' word of mouth is an awesome sales tool, and a lot of recent new VW purchasers I've spoken to can't praise their vehicles high enough!

acdcfan
16-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Well
I went there. After about 2 hours of waiting for my car, customer service guy comes back and says to me that they couldn't code my module properly ( apparently windows wouldn't work) and my remote control... they put old one back in and said IT HAS TO BE ORDERED FROM GERMANY. Another two weeks away waiting for replacement. It is a bit rude that they do not keep much of spear parts on the shelf. Is the company run by accountants?

At least got my self a bonnet protector for $90.00 and waiting for floor mats to come in because my have oval shape locking point while some new ones have round one.

Transporter
23-06-2007, 08:54 AM
You definitely shouldn't be having starting problems with a new car...especially a direct injection motor. Hell...the weather isn't even cold yet! Guys in Canada, Russia and Finland have them starting first pop in -40 degrees!

Unfortunately for we owners of hi-tech cars the training of the "technicians" hasn't caught up in many places. Insist that it's scanned and fixed. A car that won't start is no car at all.

It is hard to beleeve that anything starts first pop in -20 degr. not yours -40 degr. perhaps your refer to electric car. A lived in the country where in the winter was common temp. -20 degr. and I remember even -30 degr. to -40 degr. Go on Youtube see some videos late model VW starting @ below 0 degr and it is not the first pop.

acdcfan
01-07-2007, 12:39 PM
Yesterday, for the first time i decided to give my Golf a little bit of stick form stand still.
It was raining, front wheels did not have much traction in first and second gear and traction control light was coming on and off on my dash.
Area was flat but road had plenty of left and right turns. I have never had experience where read end of a FWD was drifting slightly but it has happened yesterday. Oh the adrenaline rush:D
I think I'll do it again today, because it is raining again :cool:

JP_Aircooled_TDi
11-07-2007, 10:48 PM
I've got the 2TDi going in to the dealer again for a slow oil leak. Currently has 53k on the clock with no other significant faults.

The first time, I was told a faulty rocker cover gasket was to blame. OK, no worries there.

But now my baby is leaking slowly again - new problem? or old one not fixed? :confused:

Hopefully I will know after the 24th...

acdcfan
14-07-2007, 11:14 AM
well
Module finally got replaced yesterday. Now time will tell. No further problems here apart form funny noisy drivers side power window.
Diesel consumption is improving. While I had to fill up every 11 days last two times it was 12 days. Engine is getting looser. Noticed it but higher revs in 1st and 2nd gear.

and133
15-07-2007, 10:16 AM
You try having an accident and waiting for parts. :)

Well
I went there. After about 2 hours of waiting for my car, customer service guy comes back and says to me that they couldn't code my module properly ( apparently windows wouldn't work) and my remote control... they put old one back in and said IT HAS TO BE ORDERED FROM GERMANY. Another two weeks away waiting for replacement. It is a bit rude that they do not keep much of spear parts on the shelf. Is the company run by accountants?

At least got my self a bonnet protector for $90.00 and waiting for floor mats to come in because my have oval shape locking point while some new ones have round one.

acdcfan
15-07-2007, 09:50 PM
You try having an accident and waiting for parts. :)

feeling your pain and agony mate

sTeeDi
30-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Yup....almost 3 months and still having starting issues in the morning.

Car fires up all the time, but occassionally the car will stall. Another 2 to 3 cranks will usually get the car started. Note this only happens when the car has been idle for an extended period.

The dealer said it could have been a bad batch of diesel, but I only put in BP Diesel and I am sure if it's dodgy diesel, it wouldn't span over three months of crappy fuel in my tank. (I usually run the car down to the last 40~90 kms left on the trip computer to make sure the crappy fuel has passed through).

As usual, I look to the guru's here to help, another helpful tip I saw (which I will mention when I bring the car for service is here...http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/archive/index.php/t-1367.html Although i don't like the part where the guy suggests "whacking" the solenoid....if it's faulty, i prefer they replace the part.

I've tried everything to find a workaround solution, but I don't think I need a workaround solution to start my new(ish) car....or is this too much to ask? :rolleyes:

Trapper
02-08-2007, 05:18 PM
Finally got my R32 about 2 weeks ago, have since done 5,000k's. 2 problems have shown up. 1. The brake light on my rear spoiler keeps falling off (the clips seem dodgy, just hangs on my the wires) and 2. The CD player seems to rattle. Other than that is no major problems.

pinzvidz
02-08-2007, 10:11 PM
Finally got my R32 about 2 weeks ago, have since done 5,000k's. 2 problems have shown up. 1. The brake light on my rear spoiler keeps falling off (the clips seem dodgy, just hangs on my the wires) and 2. The CD player seems to rattle. Other than that is no major problems.

2nd one is normal, unfortunately. Most in-dash DIN based CD stackers have internals rattling, particularly when you have either the top or bottom of the pack CD loaded... our Corolla (prior to GTI) did it, and I've noticed our GTI's stereo having a tiny bit of a rattle from time to time as well... :mad:

acdcfan
18-08-2007, 11:30 AM
Hey ppl
Are you able to turn down " ON VOLUME" factory fitted stereos?
I can't.

GermanwithaVdub
18-08-2007, 04:15 PM
yep on mine i can

acdcfan
18-08-2007, 11:57 PM
yep on mine i can

I can not do it on mine.
How do you do it ?

chylld
19-08-2007, 04:10 PM
this is the first thread i've read on these forums and i have to say i'm impressed. it's good that everyone can share their problems and increase awareness even for the smallest niggles.

i'm about to order a new gti, and after my current ownership experience with a 2006 honda civic i'm prepared for all the problems stated here so far. the civic has had 27 problems since i got it, including a faulty engine mount, faulty seats, loose airbags, etc. and not to mention about a dozen rattles! (literally)

should be ordering the gti this week though! so hopefully i'll only have to live with the civic until december-ish...

GermanwithaVdub
20-08-2007, 01:05 AM
this is the first thread i've read on these forums and i have to say i'm impressed. it's good that everyone can share their problems and increase awareness even for the smallest niggles.

i'm about to order a new gti, and after my current ownership experience with a 2006 honda civic i'm prepared for all the problems stated here so far. the civic has had 27 problems since i got it, including a faulty engine mount, faulty seats, loose airbags, etc. and not to mention about a dozen rattles! (literally)

should be ordering the gti this week though! so hopefully i'll only have to live with the civic until december-ish...

the dub will be an improvement... less than half the rattles for sure! :D

I can not do it on mine.
How do you do it ?

just in the menu, its called something strange though. raining so cant goto the handbook right now :P

my car is leaking... bad... i hope its not serious... but then again, how can it not be. (the back seat is drenched).

there might be a silver lining though, the dealer will have to give me a damn good deal on a gt sport otherwise ill go out and buy a mazda... not that id EVER buy a mazda over a dub anyway but he doesnt have to know that hehe.

Spoddy
24-08-2007, 05:14 PM
These are all "sometimes"

Drivers door red LED light stays on - a pain at night (the thread discuusing this one is great.
Drivers side front and rear parking lights stay on.
Warning chime when you open the door, get in and close the door before putting the key in the ignition.
Knocking noise from high up in the back when going over speed humps - like something is swinging in the roof space, weird given there wouldn't be much space in there... could be cableing for the aerial.
Rattle in the drivers door that goes away when the window is half way down

Any info on the above will be greatly appreciated before I go to the dealer.

Btw the ride is a Golf 2.0l TDi DSG Sportsline now with 6000km on the dial.

blur32
25-08-2007, 09:17 AM
[QUOTE=Spoddy;76638]These are all "sometimes"
[LIST]

Drivers side front and rear parking lights stay on.
Warning chime when you open the door, get in and close the door before putting the key in the ignition.
QUOTE]

Spoddy: these 2 may be related.....if you leave the indicator in the "on" position when parking the car, a chime will sound and, if you have your lights on "auto" (not sure if your model has this feature), then the front and rear parkers will stay on for which ever side your indicator stalk is set to.

So, if you are turning right into your drive-way and don't come far enough of lock when you park, that'd explain these 2 problems (as the chime will start once the door is opened again to remind you your indicator is on).

Hope this helps

acdcfan
25-08-2007, 02:18 PM
[LIST]
Drivers door red LED light stays on - a pain at night (the thread discuusing this one is great.

Module need replacing like me dealer did on mine

[LIST] Drivers side front and rear parking lights stay on.

You must be leaving you indicator switch in left or right hand position. This is safety feature that all German cars have had 15-20 yrs ago

[LIST] Knocking noise from high up in the back when going over speed humps - like something is swinging in the roof space, weird given there wouldn't be much space in there... could be cabling for the aerial.

I believe this is shelf behind back seats that moves thus creating knocking noise

[LIST] Rattle in the drivers door that goes away when the window is half way down

internal mechanics loose (like screws) needs tightening up

[LIST]Any info on the above will be greatly appreciated before I go to the dealer. Btw the ride is a Golf 2.0l TDi DSG Sportsline now with 6000km on the dial

I hope i was helpful enough.
mine has 13000km on a dial and enjoyed every single one of them.

Spoddy
25-08-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice. You can probably tell I am new at the VW thing (though I did own a '71 beetle 27 years ago...).

I just tried the indicator thing and you are 100% correct. A nifty feature :)
The parcel tray sounds logical so I won't worry about that now.
I checked the door with the rattle and found that the bottom hinge was not bolted down (it had about 2mm play in the mounting to the door) - got rid of a creeking noise but the rattle is still there.

One more thing, is there a dealer (or someone else with the means to do it) that will activate the various options without charging me to do them? Rather rude given I thought they were going to go through all that on delivery.... all they did was tell me to book it in to their service dept where I foolishly thought they would just do it... not likely they wanted a pretty steep fee.

I live in the lower Blue Mountains near Sydney.

Thanks again and I hope someone can help me on the options.

briseos
26-08-2007, 01:30 PM
Reply to above post:

Spoddy,
I have just sold my 2.0TDi Sportline at 50,000kms (2 yrs old) and had some of the options activated by the dealer early on - especially the auto door lock when you drive off - they should NOT charge you for that and it takes all of 2 minutes for them to do. When they do it, follow the car into the garage so you can see all the options on the screen and then choose the ones you like. ..... insist and you will get what you want, as long as you have done YOUR homework first and know what you want!

Briseos

Spoddy
26-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Briseos,

Thanks for the advice:) I will do my homework.

Is there a full list somewhere here?

GermanwithaVdub
27-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Briseos,

Thanks for the advice:) I will do my homework.

Is there a full list somewhere here?

no that i know of, but ill give you a few things to consider:

1 -definitely get this activated- the auto dip left mirror when you put it in reverse. not only does it make reverse parking easier, it'll also save your wheels if you're prone to scratching them (mine still scratch free at 10000km :D )

2 you can choose if you want the function which only opens the drivers door on the first click of unlock. i hated that feature.

3 if it bothers you you can get them to turn off the auto lock at 15km/h but thats a feature i think is good

theres probably more but i cant remember/ dont know them

Uomo
29-08-2007, 08:20 PM
Hi there,

Can i please ask: after the mirror auto dips in reverse - will it return to original position after you put in drive again?:?

Or, do you have to reconfig yourself?

Bazzamon
03-09-2007, 10:52 PM
I know its the last thing to look at when one buys something, but......I am sure there is a section in one of the booklets where you can set all of those options by following the intructions in the book. I turned off that stupid lh mirror dipping bizzo, it just confuses the issue of rev.parking. & I did that from the book. cheers Bazz,.............

Spoddy
04-09-2007, 10:16 PM
I know its the last thing to look at when one buys something, but......I am sure there is a section in one of the booklets where you can set all of those options by following the intructions in the book. I turned off that stupid lh mirror dipping bizzo, it just confuses the issue of rev.parking. & I did that from the book. cheers Bazz,.............

G'day Bazzamon,

You must have the full multi function display as the one that came standard with my 2.0l TDi Sportline is not the full MFD and therefore can only be set at the dealer. If I am wrong I would love to have some details as I have read the manual three times to try and sort these things out.

Spoddy
04-09-2007, 10:33 PM
G'day everyone,

The car - 2007 spec 2.0l TDi DSG - The problem - when caught in traffic after a very short while (like a minute) lots of smoke starts enveloping the car and everyone around me, and when accelerating away the cloud of smoke it makes is even more embarrassing.
I have reported this problem to the dealer twice now. The first time they got me to go in and they "tested" it by revving the hell out of it, guess what – no smoke… they then took it out of site for about 5 minutes, came back and said there was nothing wrong…
Anyway, a week later (less than 5k on the speedo) the low oil level light came on – I took it to the local VW dealer and they said it needed a lot of oil to top it up (free at least) and stated that oil usage is normal particularly in the first 35,000km– up to 4 litres an a service interval! but should get better. I have read a bit about this in the forum but I think there is a problem just from the amount of smoke I pump out generally.
Is anyone else experiencing this smoking phenomenon? (The particulate filter is clean)

OvaltoJetta
08-09-2007, 11:26 PM
Tomorrow going to dealer to get other annoying things fixed

Have a friend who had noisy electric window motor in a Polo TDi. That particular WA dealer has had a few in MKV's as well. Dealer ordered a new motor and replaced it under warranty at the next service ... problem fixed.

acdcfan
08-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Have a friend who had noisy electric window motor in a Polo TDi. That particular WA dealer has had a few in MKV's as well. Dealer ordered a new motor and replaced it under warranty at the next service ... problem fixed.

They wouldn't replace mine but got told to wait until brakes down.....:?
I bet my whole annual salary that is going to happened after warranty expires j::mad:

datracer99
09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
They wouldn't replace mine but got told to wait until brakes down.....:?
I bet my whole annual salary that is going to happened after warranty expires j::mad:

If you have a problem and the delaer won't replace under warranty then get an inspection from your state motoring association (NRMA, RACV etc) before the warranty expires.
highlight the things you know are a problem, and make sure they list them on the report.
That way, if the part breaks soon after warranty expires you can take the report in and show them that it had problems before the end of the warranty.
This is especially worthwhile if you have intermittent problems, as I did this with a 2nd hand car in the past and got the dash replaced after the warranty expired.
Depending on the issue it may not always work, but is worth a try.

acdcfan
11-09-2007, 08:51 PM
If you have a problem and the delaer won't replace under warranty then get an inspection from your state motoring association (NRMA, RACV etc) before the warranty expires.
highlight the things you know are a problem, and make sure they list them on the report.
That way, if the part breaks soon after warranty expires you can take the report in and show them that it had problems before the end of the warranty.
This is especially worthwhile if you have intermittent problems, as I did this with a 2nd hand car in the past and got the dash replaced after the warranty expired.
Depending on the issue it may not always work, but is worth a try.

Thank you for that info
I will find out if it is possible in WA

THE KOP
19-09-2007, 12:19 PM
I've had a blown right front speaker from new. Extremely annoying.
Noticed a wierd noise from the drivers side window when going down in the last say 10-15cm.

Thinking they might have just left a screw out of the speaker when the tint was done. Surely it can't be be a blown speaker from new when it's supposed to be a premium sound system.

Spoddy
19-09-2007, 07:29 PM
no that i know of, but ill give you a few things to consider:

1 -definitely get this activated- the auto dip left mirror when you put it in reverse. not only does it make reverse parking easier, it'll also save your wheels if you're prone to scratching them (mine still scratch free at 10000km :D )

I have had most of the convenience options I wanted set by the dealer free of charge and without argument. Thanks to everyone who said I shouldn't have to pay :)

My car doesn't have the option of the auto dip left mirror :( and :???:
How can this be given everyone else seems to have it? The car was manufactured in Nov 06 and is the 2007 spec. Any clues as to why they could not find the option?

blur32
20-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I have had most of the convenience options I wanted set by the dealer free of charge and without argument. Thanks to everyone who said I shouldn't have to pay :)

My car doesn't have the option of the auto dip left mirror :( and :???:
How can this be given everyone else seems to have it? The car was manufactured in Nov 06 and is the 2007 spec. Any clues as to why they could not find the option?

Don't worry about missing out on the mirror dip....I sat thru the VAG-COM thingy the other day with my dealer and my R doesn't have the option ('07 model, '06 complied)

THE KOP
20-09-2007, 11:39 AM
I can't work out how to activate the reverse mirror dip on my MY08 GTI. Looked through all the menu options......Anyone know how to do it ? Is it definitely possible ??

Sorry just seen this thread. Should have searched beforehand.

See Here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=6544&page=2)

Uomo
20-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I can't work out how to activate the reverse mirror dip on my MY08 GTI. Looked through all the menu options......Anyone know how to do it ? Is it definitely possible ??

Sorry just seen this thread. Should have searched beforehand.

See Here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=6544&page=2)

I beleive the dip mirror thingy only works if you have Parking Sensor.n:
On my GTI with parking sensor it works - my mates GT with no parking sensor don't work...

Hope that's cleared up.;)

blur32
20-09-2007, 02:57 PM
I beleive the dip mirror thingy only works if you have Parking Sensor.n:
On my GTI with parking sensor it works - my mates GT with no parking sensor don't work...

Hope that's cleared up.;)

That's the most logical answer we have had yet. Even the dealers cannot to us that!

JP_Aircooled_TDi
21-09-2007, 12:23 PM
Just thought that I'd give an update on my continuing oil leak problem.

The VW service department now have a new rocker cover on order from Singapore (:? go figure ). Apparently the current rocker cover is warped which is why the previous gasket replacements didn’t stop the oil leak.

Anyway, time will tell if this is the real culprit.

Cheers,

JP

THE KOP
27-09-2007, 03:12 PM
I've had a blown right front speaker from new. Extremely annoying.
Noticed a wierd noise from the drivers side window when going down in the last say 10-15cm.

Thinking they might have just left a screw out of the speaker when the tint was done. Surely it can't be be a blown speaker from new when it's supposed to be a premium sound system.

Had the problems sorted.
Both were related to and extra piece of trim left inside the door (Dealer said it was left in there from the factory, my feeling is that the piece was left in there when the tint was done).
All fixed so don't care either way I suppose.

John Deere
19-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I had a wierd thing happen the other day to my GTI.

I locked it up and went away, when I came back the windows were all down and the hazard lights were flashing.

I can put the windows down to the remote being depressed in my pocket and held down I guess, but the hazards flashing?????

It has not done it since and I can't seem to replicate the error. Any thoughts?

OvaltoJetta
20-10-2007, 01:14 AM
Yup....almost 3 months and still having starting issues in the morning.

Car fires up all the time, but occassionally the car will stall. Another 2 to 3 cranks will usually get the car started. Note this only happens when the car has been idle for an extended period.

I had a similar problem ..... now it has never done it since I keep my foot completedly off the 'go pedal" when starting.

acdcfan
04-11-2007, 09:08 PM
Just recently I developed a rattle around head light switch and this one is noise as. It is not there all the time, it appears only when i hit a pot hole or those fluorescent light in the middle of the road.....:mad:
When I start engine in the morning, press a clutch pedal and release it again(without engaging gears)I can hear something like a clonk sound :?.... I have had manuals before but they were all rear wheel drive so o didn't hear anything ....:? Should there be sound that can be heard?
I can only hear it when car is parked at my driveway and noise is bouncing off the wall
Do you or can you hear anything of this sort?

nav
05-11-2007, 10:16 AM
Just recently I developed a rattle around head light switch and this one is noise as. It is not there all the time, it appears only when i hit a pot hole or those fluorescent light in the middle of the road.....:mad:

Funny story but a mate of mine thought he had found a rattle inside the driver side door panel of his brand spankers GTI. It ended up being the VW key ring hitting the plastic dash when he hit one of the many thousands (millions?!) of pot holes in Sydney. It couldn't be something like that could it acdcfan? I know it sounds silly and your probably right but its worth checking I guess :)

GermanwithaVdub
05-11-2007, 11:26 AM
Just recently I developed a rattle around head light switch and this one is noise as.

takes 2 seconds to pull the switch out and half a quick look: turn switch to off position, push switch in, turn one click to the right and its out :)

Langers
07-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Well

This year VW has changed its part stocking policy. Unless the part is involved in a recall, used for general maintenance, or is an essential part to repair a car after a crash, it will have to be ordered in. No more stocking parts just for the sake of it.

VW Convert
07-11-2007, 01:28 PM
This year VW has changed its part stocking policy. Unless the part is involved in a recall, used for general maintenance, or is an essential part to repair a car after a crash, it will have to be ordered in. No more stocking parts just for the sake of it.

Nothing unusual about that, carrying slow moving parts costs a lot of money and creates a risk in obsolescence. The difficulty for any spare parts operation is giving shareholders a reasonable return on investment at the same time as providing a decent service to customers. It's mission impossible for them.

Cheers

George

jettatfsi
07-11-2007, 03:54 PM
HAHA George.
Somehow i think you know i agree with that.... :D

Nothing unusual about that, carrying slow moving parts costs a lot of money and creates a risk in obsolescence. The difficulty for any spare parts operation is giving shareholders a reasonable return on investment at the same time as providing a decent service to customers. It's mission impossible for them.

Cheers

George

VW Convert
08-11-2007, 07:49 AM

HAHA George.
Somehow i think you know i agree with that.... :D

Hi Tim,

Not surprised to hear you are in agreement! LOL :)

(For those not in the know, I'm in inventory management in the parts business and Tim is an auditor who used come and grill me often about our processes and performance or lack thereof!)

Cheers

George

acdcfan
22-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Funny thing happened today :o
My car was parked today outside my work, at the full sun....
Nice day at around 33C. When I was leaving work today, my automatic wipers were engaging like it was a light drizzle outside.... on and off then pause on and off...
I think that sensor was getting hot and that there was a bit of condensation on inside of it.... :???:
What do you ppl think? :???:

GermanwithaVdub
22-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Funny thing happened today :o
My car was parked today outside my work, at the full sun....
Nice day at around 33C. When I was leaving work today, my automatic wipers were engaging like it was a light drizzle outside.... on and off then pause on and off...
I think that sensor was getting hot and that there was a bit of condensation on inside of it.... :???:
What do you ppl think? :???:

happens sometimes to me... dirty windscreen perhaps

Tim
22-11-2007, 08:41 PM
yeah i think the rain sensor likes to have a clean windscreen. Im horrible at keeping my cars clean and i get a random swipe every now and then too.

One weird thing i have had a few times is a random wipe when i go under etag sensors on tollways. I dunno if its just co-incidence. but yeah good timing if it was.

acdcfan
24-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Well.
Next day I left windows slightly open on 37C heat and wipers were OK.... :D
I still think that it has something to do with a heat that day :cool:

Spoddy
03-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Has anyone found that over time the glass on the fog lights get some sort of film buildup on the inside? doesn't look like moisture as usually you see condensation droplets, this is just a opaque film.

One more thing for the first service....

Quote given is approx $360. Is this normal?

acdcfan
04-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Quote given is approx $360. Is this normal?

Mine was that much... It sounds OK

Edit
Guys, how is your climatic air con when set at 22?
cold, moderate or warmish?
I need to know because I have a feeling that mine could be slightly empty (leaking gas) in spite being used to heat in winter and colling in summer (got the car and Feb 07)?
Used it just about every day but when 38 outside it doesn't seem to cool the car when fan speed set at 1 or 2? when changing temperature down to 20 I don't notice much of a difference unless I set a fan speed at 3

datracer99
04-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Mine feels slow to cool down, but...
Do you have the centre windscreen vent turned on? If so, turn it off & see how cold the air is coming out of the dash vents.

The centre vent sucks a lot of the cool air, so it doen't seem to be doing much. I turn my centre vent off for 5 minutes to cool things down, and then turn it on and let the auto system take over.

acdcfan
04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=datracer99;104848]Mine feels slow to cool down, but...
Do you have the centre windscreen vent turned on? If so, turn it off & see how cold the air is coming out of the dash vents.
QUOTE]

No I don't.
It is set to blow straight to your face

Spoddy
04-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Ours has always been warmer than the set temp. We run ours mostly on 19.5C whereas in the Kluger we run 24 otherwise we freeze.

We have the centre diffuser (top of the dash replacing the shelf tray....) it is meant to cool the car quicker from start than the straight vents but I only notice it is quieter that way.

GermanwithaVdub
04-12-2007, 11:55 PM
lets not mix up climatic and climatronic... the climatic doesnt have the centre blower, it has a small tray for a wallet or phone, it also only has the twisty knob to adjust the temp, with no digital displays... the climatronic is the one with the centre air vent thing in place of the tray, plus the 2 zones plus the digital setup.

on my comfortline (with the climatic), when set at 22 (dial facing straight up) it seemed moderately cold

eestison
09-12-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi

today i noticed that my RCD 300 head unit has lost its ability to shuffle (mix) both CD tracks and Ipod tracks. VAG com shows no fault with the unit, and all other functions are ok... i will book it in for a check up. any one else experienced this?

thanks

(maybe the Golf knows it is being sold soonish, and this is a protest?? :rolleyes:)

docjames
11-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Our 2005 has had a couple of issues, all fixed FOC.

1. Remote mirror adjuster fell into door - fixed under warranty.

2. Rattle from boot - worked out it is the little rubber knobs on the end of the rope that holds the boot cover - anyone know a simple fix to stop this - we have millions of speed bumps in our area and it's pretty annoying. I think someone else mentioned this an earlier post but thought it was the actual shelf.

3. Sluggish gear changes - update to gearbox program at service. FOC.

4. "Rattle" in Cat converter (noted by dealer at 2yr service) - replaced under wannanty.

Oh, and we paid $330 for 1yr service (someone wanted to know if $350 odd reasonable), closer to $550 for 2yr (with brake fluid change).

Climate control works fine set to 22deg (comfortline spec).

Also, can anyone shed more light on what "options" (mirror dip etc) are possible to be enabled? Is it only on GTI or on any MkV?

GermanwithaVdub
11-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Also, can anyone shed more light on what "options" (mirror dip etc) are possible to be enabled? Is it only on GTI or on any MkV?

ey there welcome to the forum

what does FOC mean? :???:

as for the options, there seems to be a degree of confusion about what is possible and what is not. i cant enable it on my gt through the menus, but it could be possible for the dealer to activate it. see this thread about the mirror dipping http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=6544& even though it doesnt really help much j: best just ask the service place. enjoy your stay here!

docjames
11-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Cool, thanks for the welcome too.

FOC = Free of Charge. Sorry 'bout that.

acdcfan
23-12-2007, 09:55 PM
n:Well
Another thing happened the other day when paint of the tip of the power window switch got stuck to my finger.
Now drivers side power window switch is showing a little white line.:mad:

Is it covered by warranty?:?

GermanwithaVdub
23-12-2007, 10:57 PM
Another thing happened the other day when paint of the tip of the power window switch got stuck to my finger.

hell yeah!! :D

eestison
30-12-2007, 07:47 PM
yet another issue to report... that is two in two weeks, my airbag light came on yesterday, i plugged in with VAG-Com and...

1 Fault Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

it would seem that my car is starting to develop problems only now that i have ordered a replacement. strange.

*scratches head

Droog
31-12-2007, 02:44 AM
Does anyone have problems with the windscreen fogging up?It clears quickly when i put on the demister,but it then comes back again .I know there has been some humid days in Melbourne but i dont recollect this happening in my old car............oh yeah there were no women in the car at the time..;)

Mkv GTI 07

eestison
31-12-2007, 09:54 AM
yet another issue to report... that is two in two weeks, my airbag light came on yesterday, i plugged in with VAG-Com and...

1 Fault Found:
01217 - Side Airbag Igniter; Driver Side (N199)
001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent - MIL ON

it would seem that my car is starting to develop problems only now that i have ordered a replacement. strange.

*scratches head

solved :D

i took my car in this morning for VW to look at, and they replaced a connector under the driver's seat... this was done without an appointment, on nye day. that is service.

well done highway VW (bris)!

Mister_duck
22-01-2008, 06:40 PM
The starter motor on my 07, 2.0 Tdi stopped working 2 weeks ago, was replaced in one day all under warrenty.

docjames
23-01-2008, 09:13 AM
I just noticed the seatbelt mover for the passenger front seat not working so it'll be back to VW for warranty repair. i dont htink it's ever been moved, hence why it's taken me two and a half years to notice!

Mischa
23-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I just noticed the seatbelt mover for the passenger front seat not working so it'll be back to VW for warranty repair. i dont htink it's ever been moved, hence why it's taken me two and a half years to notice!

you make a good point. arent there places out there that will do an "almost out of warranty check to see what needs replacement" check?

JP_Aircooled_TDi
01-02-2008, 07:46 AM
...yes, on a MkV :?

A good mate of mine has the 2006 Comfortline 2TDi. His wife was driving the car when she noticed that 'steam' was comming from under the bonet. She called the VW road assist, and the guy found that it was not the cooling system, but a hose for the air-con had been worn and burst (resulting in the release of the white vapour). This was caused by 2 (yes, two) missing engine mount bolts :o

So now new bolts are in with the engine safely stowed (like it should be), but parts for the air-con unit will be 2 weeks away - bugger :(

Anyway, just thought you guys should know, and maybe have a look (for prevention sake).

gti mk5
01-02-2008, 06:40 PM
Car: golf gti

1 - i have had my tracing mould come loose and replaced underwarranty

2 - my rear parking sensors every time it rained or i washed the car the will go nuts and beep like no tomorrow and the 2 right rear sensors were replaced underwarranty and now fixed

andrewwong
04-02-2008, 08:49 AM
Hi all,

Just got my new DSG GTi (3 days old).. and was driving normally through a level car park yesterday with car in D.

Stopped the car, went to put it into reverse.. and there was no reverse. The R light on the dash was flashing and no gear.

Put it into drive and it went forward.. but no reverse.

It was about 38C but I wasn't driving hard at all.. so is this the DSG clutch overload protection cutting in ??

Car seemed to function normally after this incident.. but I had no Reverse when I wanted it.

Mischa
04-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi all,

Just got my new DSG GTi (3 days old).. and was driving normally through a level car park yesterday with car in D.

Stopped the car, went to put it into reverse.. and there was no reverse. The R light on the dash was flashing and no gear.

Put it into drive and it went forward.. but no reverse.

It was about 38C but I wasn't driving hard at all.. so is this the DSG clutch overload protection cutting in ??

Car seemed to function normally after this incident.. but I had no Reverse when I wanted it.

thats no good pal and it should have thrown a fault so take it to the dealer. could be a stuffed dsg control module?

Dooby
05-02-2008, 10:06 AM

same thing happened to me today.... how annoying, it's the last thing you'd expect from a German car. it's just a waste of time having to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed. :mad:

docjames
07-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Update: The seatbelt adjust had warped and hence wouldnt engage.

South Yarra VW (Abbottsford service) were great - tried to repair but no go so just replaced. Courtesy car great too (07 1.9TDI COnfortline)

I know Sth Yarra cop a caning here, but they've been nothing but good for me so far (2.5 yrs)

acdcfan
07-02-2008, 06:28 PM
same thing happened to me today.... how annoying, it's the last thing you'd expect from a German car. it's just a waste of time having to take it back to the dealer to get it fixed. :mad:

I am afraid that they will paint it instead of fixing it :?

GTI_racer
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM

For me they replaced the set of 4 switches

Dooby
08-02-2008, 01:22 PM

they said they needed to order a whole new set of switches as the drivers control console comes as one unit. Was yours painted or replaced?

booked in just over a weeks time to get it replaced. better not be just repainted :mad:

acdcfan
01-03-2008, 11:30 AM
they said they needed to order a whole new set of switches as the drivers control console comes as one unit. Was yours painted or replaced? :

I haven't taken it to the dealer as yet. I will for 30000km service.

Another thing I noticed recently is that front passinger door gets stuck on doorseals and more force required to open it. I know it is door seal because you can hear rubber squeek. Nothing similar with back passinger doors.

Gearman
03-04-2008, 10:20 PM
solved :D

i took my car in this morning for VW to look at, and they replaced a connector under the driver's seat... this was done without an appointment, on nye day. that is service.

well done highway VW (bris)!
I had a similar problem recently - air bag light on. Repaired under warranty "we cut the wires and replace the plugs under the seat with a joiner, as the plugs get faults" says dealers service staff - sounds a bit rough!

Warranty repairs to date - 2005 2.0 TDI.
about 40,000km Bottom engine mount - bolt fell out, other bolt loose. Dealer said "no fault found" when I complained of a clunk on power on/off. Finally found the fault myself after looking under motor just after they changed the oil. Surely they would see a missing bolt!
Wheel balance out when new - back twice to get it fixed
Minor rattles in front guards - more screws put in
Clutch shudders when cold, always has since new - dealer says cant find a fault
Otherwise drives great and heaps of grunt.

phaeton
19-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Problem Air vent won't fully close on passengers side centre console.
Vehicle MY05 1.9 TDI Comfortline.

Anyone had this problem ?

Any solutions ?

Thanks in Advance :D

ps I don't really want the dealership to play with the dash.

DAR32
14-05-2008, 06:02 AM
So far my car has done 11000Kms. I am a fussy owner and the smallest of rattles bothers me. I also hate taking the car to the dealer and have some amateur stuff around and cause more problems. I have the following problems.

I have a indicator stalk that vibrates and doesn't feel right. I reckon the switch requires replacement.

I have doors that vibrate when playing music even at low volumes. the dealer is going to put foam linings on the inside of the doors

I have a rattling ski port - I have stuffed a piece of foam under the latch at it seems to have fixed it.

Otherwise its perfect - Phew

Previous cars have been - BMW330I (new shape), Liberty 3.0R, Golf GTI Mk4 - The golf MK5 is the best of the lot in terms of quality.

johng
18-05-2008, 05:19 PM
I have just discovered a fairly steady leak around the driver's door of my 2007GTI. A trip to the dealer should take place tomorrow.
I would be glad to read anyone's thoughts on the source of similar leaks in a relatively new car. The rubber in the door seal looks in good condition, so it's a bit of a mystery.

acdcfan
19-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Was yours painted or replaced?

booked in just over a weeks time to get it replaced. better not be just repainted :mad:

It hasn't been replaced yet....
Once it has been I will let you know

ECR33
30-05-2008, 01:13 PM
So far my car has done 11000Kms. I am a fussy owner and the smallest of rattles bothers me. I also hate taking the car to the dealer and have some amateur stuff around and cause more problems. I have the following problems.

I have a indicator stalk that vibrates and doesn't feel right. I reckon the switch requires replacement.

I have doors that vibrate when playing music even at low volumes. the dealer is going to put foam linings on the inside of the doors

I have a rattling ski port - I have stuffed a piece of foam under the latch at it seems to have fixed it.

Otherwise its perfect - Phew

Previous cars have been - BMW330I (new shape), Liberty 3.0R, Golf GTI Mk4 - The golf MK5 is the best of the lot in terms of quality.How did you go with getting the dealer to fix the rattles in your doors?

I have the same problem with my GTI (along with the Ski hatch rattle and a small vibration when the sunroof is open), although didn't think the dealer would take me seriously if I asked them to fix it.

acdcfan
03-06-2008, 10:39 PM
Well
I took my car today for 30000km service and if you remember when I posted about a noise form drivers side window............. motor got replaced today. :D
Power window switch where paint came off, that got replaced too. Wiper sensor will need replacing, but VW will call to make a booking.... :D
Rattle appeared in front passenger door well that got fixed too.:D My front right hand rim is bent on one spot and I had hard time convincing them but they found it and will organize it to be fixed.... Aircon has been checked and everything seems to be in order :???:. My car got washed and vacuumed today:rolleyes:. I was surprised by this level of customer service considering that at 15000km service car was not touched. j::
All that for $505.50 :mad:

They even offered to replace my front wipers for $80.00. Whats up with that? Why so much?

Mods please allow more then 10 smiles per post.....

But driving my accadaccafan Golf ..........priceless:j:j:j:

les88
04-06-2008, 05:34 AM
The wiper blades are not the run of the mill blades. That is why they run so smooth. My grandson who works in an Holden dealership in spare parts when he saw my new Pacific said without prompting those blades are a dear item would cost at least $70.00, so fitted for $80 I would jump at the offer.
les

abb6027
04-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. Just finished reading the issues in case i experience any. Our 2008 R32 now has 1800 Klms and has no issues that I've noticed so far and is a much better car than I anticipated.

It is a major improvement in feedback and handling compared to my 2000 S3 when it was in standard form. My wife loves it as it was bought to replace her 1999 1.8 golf GLE on the premise she needed awd hmmm ...

Anyway it is very impressive and I'm surprised by the number of people that look at it in traffic (including wrx owners).

As for the mirror down on reverse feature our car doesn't have it and we don't have reverse sensors. Although the dealer claimed there must be something wrong, so I will have to go for a visit and find out. I am assuming that it will be because we don't have reverse sensors.

RIS00
04-06-2008, 08:40 PM
I have just discovered a fairly steady leak around the driver's door of my 2007GTI. A trip to the dealer should take place tomorrow.
I would be glad to read anyone's thoughts on the source of similar leaks in a relatively new car. The rubber in the door seal looks in good condition, so it's a bit of a mystery.

i have a problem with the passengers side door of my car when it rains water seems to pool above the seal and when someone opens the door water comes running out and into the car!! ggrrrrrr i cant find anything wrong so ill get VW to have a look at it

acdcfan
04-06-2008, 10:43 PM
i have a problem with the passengers side door of my car when it rains water seems to pool above the seal and when someone opens the door water comes running out and into the car!! ggrrrrrr i cant find anything wrong so ill get VW to have a look at it

I've had that problem with my rear right hand door one or twice but the problem has gone.....
Just take a good look at your door seals

Spoddy
06-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I went for a drive tonight (wife in town so I borrowed her car :D) but noticed a clicking noise like an electric switch/contact noise in quick succession and then would stop. I think it is coming from the drivers side foot well/wheel arch but hard to tell.
Also, not sure if it is associated, but there is a smell of diesel exhaust that comes into the car at about the same time as that noise.

Any ideas anyone?

harry6
10-06-2008, 02:26 PM
I have a 2007 GTi DSG-been very happy with it until recently at 9000k discovered a rattle from the hatch between 20-50km/hr
I took it to the dealer who after a test drive and inspection informed me it was a malaligned hatch and it would have to go to the panel beaters to have it removed and then refitted.
Is this a common problem with the Golf and would the repair be worse than the problem to the car.
Oh incidentally I also get the intermittent red led showing
Thanks-I would appreciate any replies

acdcfan
13-06-2008, 10:05 PM
I have a 2007 GTi DSG-been very happy with it until recently at 9000k discovered a rattle from the hatch between 20-50km/hr
I took it to the dealer who after a test drive and inspection informed me it was a malaligned hatch and it would have to go to the panel beaters to have it removed and then refitted.
Is this a common problem with the Golf and would the repair be worse than the problem to the car.
Oh incidentally I also get the intermittent red led showing
Thanks-I would appreciate any replies

As for rattle for the hatch I am not sure.... but if you look at the begging of this thread you will find an answer fro your LED light. I made a post.
Basically they needed to replace central locking module and took 2 go at it. Now it works fine

Droog
18-06-2008, 09:59 PM

2007 GTI both rear door seals leak at the bottom.The door alignment on both sides looks good as do both door seals.Had the door seals replaced,and yet still they both leak.Not very happy bout water getting into a new car,maybe GTI doors shrink in the rain:eek:

AJD
22-06-2008, 07:07 PM
My niece has found that if she tries to play a dvd on the new RNS 510 Sat Nav it comes up with an error saying the dvd is the wrong region.

Anyone having a similar problem or know if there is an easy fix rather than sitting around a dealer?

Logzy
22-06-2008, 07:45 PM
My niece has found that if she tries to play a dvd on the new RNS 510 Sat Nav it comes up with an error saying the dvd is the wrong region.

Anyone having a similar problem or know if there is an easy fix rather than sitting around a dealer?

This appears to be a problem with the 510's and apparrantly not even the dealers know how to change the region coding of the unit.
They are currently set to region 0 & 2 i believe.
Just make a backup of your dvd and remove the region coding in the process until the coding is figured out.

Maverick
22-06-2008, 07:55 PM
This appears to be a problem with the 510's and apparrantly not even the dealers know how to change the region coding of the unit.
They are currently set to region 0 & 2 i believe.
Just make a backup of your dvd and remove the region coding in the process until the coding is figured out.

Have you seen in the NAV or Radio controllers (VAGCOM/VCDS) that you can see the region setting if you look under the values tab (left hand side of the screen - can't think of exact name).

You can't change it but there must be some way to do this, why they didn't just have it all regions has got me stuffed.

turboveedubb
03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
For whatever reason all the leaves and debris that lands on the rear windscreen gets trapped behind the rear bumper next to the tail lights, I didn't think it was much of a problem initially but it's seriously corrected a lot of leaves in there and each time I push on it I can hear the leaves and small twigs in there crackling away, should I take it back to the dealer to get it fixed up and all the leaves taken out of it?

livingthedream
04-07-2008, 07:14 AM
Well after 3 weeks she is going in for her 1000km check and to have the following addressed

- Rattle from back right hand passenger door
- Sunroof blind rattles when its pushed back to open - does this happen to anyone else?
- Brakes are squeeky. Assume from wearing them in and accumulating brake dust, but they can clean them
- Drivers side electric window - as it is is about 3/4 down it makes a strange noise, like it might be rubbin on something.

Havent discovered anything else yet

PhilMart
04-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Well after 3 weeks she is going in for her 1000km check and to have the following addressed

- Rattle from back right hand passenger door
- Sunroof blind rattles when its pushed back to open - does this happen to anyone else?
- Brakes are squeeky. Assume from wearing them in and accumulating brake dust, but they can clean them
- Drivers side electric window - as it is is about 3/4 down it makes a strange noise, like it might be rubbin on something.

Havent discovered anything else yet

With the sunroof issue, are you talking about teh wind deflector that raises up when open? Mine vibrates like crazy. If you hold it still with your hand there is no vibration and all is sweet. Going to talk about it with by stealer in a few days. Also when I turn the sunroof knob the other way (so the rear of the sunrooif raises I get rattles coming from the arear near where the knob for the sunroof is .. annoying .. so its never in this position now!

livingthedream
04-07-2008, 01:17 PM
With the sunroof issue, are you talking about teh wind deflector that raises up when open? Mine vibrates like crazy. If you hold it still with your hand there is no vibration and all is sweet. Going to talk about it with by stealer in a few days. Also when I turn the sunroof knob the other way (so the rear of the sunrooif raises I get rattles coming from the arear near where the knob for the sunroof is .. annoying .. so its never in this position now!

I haven't played with all the sunroof settings yet to see 'when it does' and 'when it doesn't' rattle but what i have noticed so far is as follows

When the sunroof is tilted open eg. raised up (not sliding open) and i push the blind all the way back, then it sounds like the blind is rattling. When the blind is only half opened i don't hear the rattle.

As much as i love sunroofs, all 3 of my last cars with them seem to have rattles associated with the sunroof....quite possible never again

Will let you know after the stealers visit Tue

Cheers

WhiteRabbit
13-07-2008, 03:35 PM
Hi Guys,

One week into owning my new Golf GTI DSG. Love the Car, But.

After the first night drive, I noticed a 3 inch oil puddle underneath (engine)

Annoying cabin rattle on the driver side when I drive on Forshaw Drive by Sydney Airport (had that in my volvo too, tough road)

and, the other morning, I had to drive with the seat belt ding alarm all the way to work (damn, I am wearing the seat belt!!). Hasn't come back again.

Have informed the dealership, and the service dept will book WhiteRabbit in for a check up.

Otherwise what a great car, made my mate who drives a '08 325i scream like
a little girl in the passenger seat (and that was just launch control).

Will keep you up to date.

Mischa
13-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Hi Guys,

One week into owning my new Golf GTI DSG. Love the Car, But.

After the first night drive, I noticed a 3 inch oil puddle underneath (engine)

Annoying cabin rattle on the driver side when I drive on Forshaw Drive by Sydney Airport (had that in my volvo too, tough road)

and, the other morning, I had to drive with the seat belt ding alarm all the way to work (damn, I am wearing the seat belt!!). Hasn't come back again.

Have informed the dealership, and the service dept will book WhiteRabbit in for a check up.

Otherwise what a great car, made my mate who drives a '08 325i scream like
a little girl in the passenger seat (and that was just launch control).

Will keep you up to date.

check the oil drain plug on the sump is tightened properly.

and with the seatbelt ding... did you have anything sitting on the passenger seat? (groceries, books etc) this can fool the car into thinking that someone is sitting in the passenger seat and that they need their seatbelt done up.

shot
18-07-2008, 09:06 AM
just a query re sway bars on a GTi
I noticed prior posts referring to them maybe needing tightening-how does this show up as I am wondering if the rattle I get from the rear is due to this-dealer hasnt been able to fix it to date

WhiteRabbit
20-07-2008, 09:44 PM
check the oil drain plug on the sump is tightened properly.

and with the seatbelt ding... did you have anything sitting on the passenger seat? (groceries, books etc) this can fool the car into thinking that someone is sitting in the passenger seat and that they need their seatbelt done up.

Thanks for the Reply
Car is booked in next week for a check up will ask then to check the oil drain plug.

And good point about the passenger seat, I usually park my laptop there, must have been that (weighs about 7kgs with bag and stuff)

Thanks

BarneyBoy
20-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I've had an intermittent rattle from the hatch area that seems to happen for brief periods and then disappear for long periods (just when I decide to take it to the stealers for a look :frown:).

I discovered the other day that there's a piece of what appears to be spring wire lodged in the tail lamp assembly (in the hatch). It obviously bounces around until it gets stuck, before being moved again probably by me shutting the hatch.

It's hopefully being removed at my service next week. yay :duh:

Guest212
30-07-2008, 06:59 PM
I've got a serious problem with mine which I just picked up today.

I can't keep off the go fast pedal. :duh:

Mister_duck
30-07-2008, 08:22 PM
on sunday, my car broke down, turns out the propeller's on the turbo sheared off and went through the housing on the turbo, got a call today saying that they will replace the turbo under warranty and as well as they are going to fir a brand new engine, all covered under warranty.
My Tdi is only 16 months old and only done 48000k's

Mischa
30-07-2008, 08:45 PM
on sunday, my car broke down, turns out the propeller's on the turbo sheared off and went through the housing on the turbo, got a call today saying that they will replace the turbo under warranty and as well as they are going to fir a brand new engine, all covered under warranty.

WWHHAAATTT!?!?!?!

sixfootchoc
31-07-2008, 11:59 AM
May 08 GTI DSG.

Took the car back as the driver's door was knocking when rolling over small bumps. The door would flex and the window would make knocking sounds. Dealer adjusted the striker on the door lock which firmed it up.

Aluminium door trim rattles when playing music at low to medium volume. Dealer reseated and resealed the trim.

Also have a plastic rattle coming from the top of the centre console. Especially bad on less than perfect roads, but when the GTI is sprung as hard as it is, you have to forgive some of these things.

I drove a new Jetta TDI while my car was being looked at, that thing shook like a leaf at idle....will never own a diesel.

acdcfan
01-08-2008, 07:30 PM

Disaster...... You must have been crying :frown:

daft009
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
got a rattle/creak under/around the indirect vent on the dash of my GT sport...
some days its worse than others, some days not there at all and some days its there everytime i accelerate..

any easy DIY fixes?

Mischa
01-08-2008, 11:54 PM
got a rattle/creak under/around the indirect vent on the dash of my GT sport...
some days its worse than others, some days not there at all and some days its there everytime i accelerate..

any easy DIY fixes?

thats a known one to the dealers they can fix it in a jiffy, dont bother stuffing around with the dashboard clips.

Ricka
09-08-2008, 03:58 PM
An observation and a related question please.

Our GTI is just over 2 years old, and came with all the extras ie rattles all around.

One of the most annoying only shos up on the highway ie concrete road with sharp joins (eg the Hume). Each join sets up a quick sharp "frizzle" noise which appears to clearly be coming from the dash. Observation: it isn't. The dash is very efficient at reflecting noises back at the driver. In fact some of the sunroof noises also appear to come from the dash. As with most noises, you need to move you hand to the apparent source of the noise and try to stop it. I wonder if some of the noises others hear are also reflected off the dash.

This noise in fact comes from (both) vanity mirror lights. The dealer is 100% useless, and my intention is to fix it myself. Has anyone else experienced this, and is there a recommended approach to fixing it?

Thanks,

Rick

neil
09-08-2008, 05:49 PM
May 08 GTI DSG.

Took the car back as the driver's door was knocking when rolling over small bumps. The door would flex and the window would make knocking sounds. Dealer adjusted the striker on the door lock which firmed it up.

Aluminium door trim rattles when playing music at low to medium volume. Dealer reseated and resealed the trim.

Also have a plastic rattle coming from the top of the centre console. Especially bad on less than perfect roads, but when the GTI is sprung as hard as it is, you have to forgive some of these things.

I drove a new Jetta TDI while my car was being looked at, that thing shook like a leaf at idle....will never own a diesel.

Re your "will never own a diesel"
Looks like you will have to keep the one you have forever as soon all VW's will be Diesel/electric.

livingthedream
04-09-2008, 06:53 PM

I got a VW Bettle Turbo Diesel :duh: i shutter to think someone bought one of those.

The GT sport diesel i test drive was nice, with my only real complaint being the lag between first and second gear. This beetle was like a little panza tank both in terms of both the drive and the sound in the cabin.

zorro
05-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Guy's,
Hi There, I'm seriously considering a MY07 GTI DSG, currently I've doing my research and counting my $.
Are there any pit-falls with repairs and maintence?
I'm a Subaru AWD man, but the MY07/08 Liberty is just not doing it for me anymore and the WRX is just trouble. Plus my budget is tight! Any thoughts?

Guest212
12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Ignoring the problems, take it for a drive.

You'll soon know.

acdcfan
09-10-2008, 10:42 PM
hey guys
my accelerator pedal make clicking noises when pressing for acceleration and de-pressing for deceleration.
Anyone has experienced anything similar? :???:

bazzle
18-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Kick down button

Guest212
28-10-2008, 08:39 PM
anyone else get twang noises from under their car when coming to a stop?

and a knock under their feet?

theyre getting annoying would like to throw some suggestions to the dealer when i book it in for an inspection

acdcfan
30-10-2008, 08:45 PM
Kick down button

But I got manual.... or is it just standard across the range regardless of transmition type

Russ59
30-10-2008, 09:01 PM
Could just need a little bit of lube, have you tried spraying it with WD40 or the like ?

bazil
30-10-2008, 09:24 PM
yeah i get the red alarm door light staying on while driving all the time. Just seems to be a bug?

I also had to get the front springs replaced too.

Spoddy
30-10-2008, 09:49 PM
yeah i get the red alarm door light staying on while driving all the time. .

There is a software update for that. Amazed that 2 years down the track they still do it and have to update it????

Spoddy
01-11-2008, 02:33 PM
Has anyone figured out what it is that makes the black coating come off the power window buttons?

Ours are now white (being replaced at the 30k service) but concerned what ever it is it will happen again..

Its not just the diesel cars doing this either so its not diesel on the hands

phaeton
26-11-2008, 07:46 PM
As I was changing the brake globe on the RHS Light Assembly in the Mk5 I decided to investigate why the LHS was fogging up ???

How did the water get in ??? anyone had this problem before ?

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/Waterinlens001-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/Waterinlens002-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/Waterinlens003-1.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/Waterinlens004-2.jpg

http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/images/imported/2008/11/Waterinlens005-2.jpg

daft009
26-11-2008, 08:00 PM
I noticed this too on my RHS rear light assembly.
Dried up after a couple of days, haven't seen it again since.

Will bring it up during the next service.

Happy to say most of the annoying rattles are now fixed (both front doors and dash)

acdcfan
27-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Could just need a little bit of lube, have you tried spraying it with WD40 or the like ?

No I didn't... It comes and goes

Guest212
03-12-2008, 05:21 PM
Well mine has developed a rattle from the rear end which is loud enough to get people looking from all directions.

Its like I'm driving a ute with an alloy tray filled with metal objects bouncing and rattling around.

Russ59
03-12-2008, 07:22 PM
Well mine has developed a rattle from the rear end which is loud enough to get people looking from all directions.

Its like I'm driving a ute with an alloy tray filled with metal objects bouncing and rattling around.

I'd be checking some of the heat shields around the exhaust or maybe even the large metal guard that protects the fuel tank I think (fits up underneath the floor in line with the passengers side rear seat) its only held on by half dozen small bolts. :duh:

Russ

Guest212
03-12-2008, 09:34 PM
Cheers for the suggestion.

But according to others on this forum you shouldn't go playing with your Golf because its a very complex piece of technology and untrained hands might ruin it all. :nana:

acdcfan
15-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Well
Finally I got authorisation for my buckled rim to be replaced. It took nearly a year. An official VW representative/ manager has come for a visit to at John Hughes VW Osborne park and gave the nod. :biggrin:
John Hughes VW will order a new rim and advice when ready for replacement.

At first they didn't believe me:duh:, but me being persistent bastard, kept on nagging and nagging, because it is really hard to notice. Once I point it, it was dealt with professionally. :bowdown:
Reason for being so hard is that the lip of the rim is buckled and unless buckled part is at the top, you'll find it very hard to see it. It took me a quite a while to find it. Even the VW guy, Andrew was his name, took about 10 min to notice it

on another not is there anyone in Perth with Vagcom that is willing to look at my air-conditioning? VW says it works OK but I still have doubts.

Guest212
16-12-2008, 09:12 PM
here's a nice new one for me to add to the list.

My aircon isn't working very well.

I have to set it to LO and have the fan at full speed to keep the car cool in the heat at the moment.

Quite annoying because I know it was working extremily well a couple of weeks ago when we had some unusually hot spring days.

:duh:

SLUG36
29-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Beleive it or not most rattles in the rear of a golf are caused by the rear taillight assemblies. I would be checking them because in my experience the noise translates through the body work heighting the noise

BarneyBoy
31-12-2008, 08:26 PM
Beleive it or not most rattles in the rear of a golf are caused by the rear taillight assemblies. I would be checking them because in my experience the noise translates through the body work heighting the noise

True.
Mine had an intermittent rattle that ended up being the driver side inner tail light - there's a piece of spring wire inside that apparently comes adrift and bounces around until it gets caught - then gets dislodged and bounces around some more :duh:
The stealer replaced the whole tail light unit for me.
Now it's as quiet as a mouse wearing sneakers... :biggrin:

phaeton
01-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Thats amazing must be the over engineering at its finest :duh: :biggrin:

adrian112
28-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Well my baby had its first fault over the weekend.

Merging onto the motorway on acceleration

2nd gear – 3rd gear – 4th gear then cough cough cough (Ding engine fault… please bring to workshop!)

….. limp home mode. :duh:

Car is limited to below 3k RPMS. Dropped her at Denlo to get checked out this morning. Hope its nothing bad =[

Any GT-TDI owners out there experienced this kind of thing? I have read around that pipes around the turbo tend to get backed up due to the dirty diesel we have out here.

Big Yellow
10-02-2009, 07:47 AM
I think my fuel pump in the .:R is on the way out.

Its been making extra loud noises lately, almost unbearable whilst driving, and especially deafening when at stand still. Has only happened during the extreme hot days.

Now I'm paranoid about any noise it makes and can't remember what "normal" sounds like!

Russ59
10-02-2009, 08:04 AM
Well my baby had its first fault over the weekend.

Merging onto the motorway on acceleration

2nd gear – 3rd gear – 4th gear then cough cough cough (Ding engine fault… please bring to workshop!)

….. limp home mode. :duh:

Car is limited to below 3k RPMS. Dropped her at Denlo to get checked out this morning. Hope its nothing bad =[

Any GT-TDI owners out there experienced this kind of thing? I have read around that pipes around the turbo tend to get backed up due to the dirty diesel we have out here.

Just out of interest, what was the verdict - Fuel problem or what ??

Cheers
Russ

Guest212
10-02-2009, 06:59 PM
here's a nice new one for me to add to the list.

My aircon isn't working very well.

I have to set it to LO and have the fan at full speed to keep the car cool in the brisbane heat at the moment.

Quite annoying because I know it was working extremily well a couple of weeks ago when we had some unusually hot spring days.

:duh:

aircon has been working beautifully over the past few hot weeks.

Who knows...:duh:

update 3400km since last gearbox reset and while the problems haven't come back as aggressively they're definately getting more frequent still.

Brew
11-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Hi, have been reading these forums for quite some time prior to becoming the happy new owner of a Golf MKV - the info on this site was very much appreciated in the lead up to my purchace. :)

Just wondered if anyone else has had issues with the RCD 300 head unit. I may be a bit old fashioned but I listen to AM most of the time. I have noticed that the reception on AM with the RCD 300 is very poor compared to my previous and most other cars I have been in. In particular, it appears to be very "scratchy" and seems to have some interference.

Anyone else had similar experience? FM seems OK.

Also it seems that there is a "vibration-rattle" from the headunit when I play a CD.

As a newbe I have tried doing a search on the forums - without success - so please be kind if I have missed something. :)

BarneyBoy
11-02-2009, 09:28 PM
Just wondered if anyone else has had issues with the RCD 300 head unit. I may be a bit old fashioned but I listen to AM most of the time. I have noticed that the reception on AM with the RCD 300 is very poor compared to my previous and most other cars I have been in. In particular, it appears to be very "scratchy" and seems to have some interference.

Anyone else had similar experience? FM seems OK.

European head unit = crap AM reception.

Just the way it is, unhappily...

Edit: Sorry, I meant AM not FM. Typo...
Euro head units have legendarily poor AM reception.

Guest212
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
European head unit = crap FM reception.

Just the way it is, unhappily...

No thats the crap a dealership service centre has fed you.

Golfs just have crap antennas. Form over function.

My dealer claimed they were able to adjust the signal boost. Result is sound quality which isnt quite as clean as before but much better reception all round.

Guest212
24-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Anyone else enjoy a Golf which makes loud clunking noises under braking?

Maverick
24-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Anyone else enjoy a Golf which makes loud clunking noises under braking?

Nope.

We should create another thread for problems, one just for you :biggrin:

docjames
24-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, a known issue - the 2.0FSI Cruise stalk - ours is now intermittantly on the fritz.

(Didnt stop me ordering a new gti though!)

Maverick
24-02-2009, 09:00 PM
{deleted text}

I thought that it was all sorted? How much damage was there? It was a rear ender wasn't it?

I've yet to have damage repaired properly from any accident and I'm hoping I never got to find out on the GTI but that's why I ran away from AAMI and went to CGU so I can choose the repairer. Not interested in going to below par body shops and waste my time getting things done over and over again.

Guest212
01-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Another good question as I assume it could be a sign of a problem as I have seen others complain of bulb life before.

Is it normal for the H7 main headlight globes to go all smokey and black? The drivers side is fine, the passenger side was the blackened one. Visually it looks as if the passenger side may be getting more volts than the drivers side, as it is a brighter headlamp (this is with the new bulbs).

Strange anyway...I guess i'll know if its an issue again in another 6 months time (i hope i dont find out TBH).

BTW - the golfs headlights are now much better with narva blue vision (osram) bulbs. They're still on the average side but I'm pretty pleased now. :biggrin:

benno
02-03-2009, 09:49 AM
So a few times now I've gone to start the car(GT TDI), and it starts fine (after the glow plug light has gone out) but then the MFD says 'Engine Fault - Workshop!' or something along those lines and the glow plug light continues to blink whilst the engine is running... turning the engine off and restarting usually fixes it.

Any ideas what's up?

daft009
02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
my right rear brake light enclosure has a hole in it somewhere.
fogs up when it rains.

whplash
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
GTI 2006 DSG

Drivers side door rattle - ? loose door speaker , and upper door trim loose.

Spoddy
03-03-2009, 07:40 PM
GTI 2006 DSG

Drivers side door rattle - ? loose door speaker , and upper door trim loose.

I had similar but ended up being the air bag harness in the pillar. Repacked with foam by the dealer, all sweet.

benough
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM
So a few times now I've gone to start the car(GT TDI), and it starts fine (after the glow plug light has gone out) but then the MFD says 'Engine Fault - Workshop!' or something along those lines and the glow plug light continues to blink whilst the engine is running... turning the engine off and restarting usually fixes it.

Any ideas what's up?

Dude. Your DPF (Diesel Particluate Filter) is clogged.

Mine did it once. Take it to the dealer and they can do a manual regeneration for you to burn all the crap out.

Will be fine after that.

So didn't you do what the MFD said? :)

adrian112
05-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Hey Mate,

yeah take it to the dealer to clean out the DPF it happened to me as well!

anthony
05-03-2009, 09:08 PM
SPODDY
I had the identical thing that you mention with the airbag in my Jetta...it almost drove me crazy.
Took 19 months to sort out.Very challenging.
Has come back twice,but lasts for 3 days,and then corrects itself...

CJ_DT
10-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Hello, I have just got a second hand Golf 2.0 TDI and it sighs for want of a better description when I turn it off, is this normal?

benno
10-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Uh guys I thought there was a particular light for the DPF?

And doesn't 'burning all the crap out' = thrashing the car anyway? I'd rather do that myself thanks!

mtj007
10-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Hello, I have just got a second hand Golf 2.0 TDI and it sighs for want of a better description when I turn it off, is this normal?

There is a valve that closes when the engine is switched off and then after a few seconds it opens again and the pressure build up escapes which makes the "sigh".

Is this the sound?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dho232_tCg

phaeton
13-03-2009, 05:53 PM
Just a heads up VW replaced the rear taillight assembly (the one with water inside) under warranty.

Apparently these things have vents and one was not working :eek:

twotribez
02-04-2009, 02:34 PM
jeez guys,

reading all this stuff makes me a little worried about buying a golf. I would have thought only a select few would have had problems. But it seems to be really common. Like an Alfa? I don't mean insult of course..... But it is scary

VW Convert
02-04-2009, 03:33 PM
jeez guys,

reading all this stuff makes me a little worried about buying a golf. I would have thought only a select few would have had problems. But it seems to be really common. Like an Alfa? I don't mean insult of course..... But it is scary

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW and I would not take this thread as being representative of the true situation.

There are problems (as there are with all cars) for which there are solutions. What you see here is a group of owners who (rightly) want their car to be perfect and notice and highlight the slightest problem. My VW has not been perfect although the problems have been minor, it has no rattles and squeaks and it drives beautifully. My previous four cars were Falcons, one had the diff replaced at 5,000KM, these sorts of issues happen regardless of make.

Most car forums are like this because they attract people who are passionate about their cars and to whom a car is more than just a means of transport.

Cheers

George

Russ59
02-04-2009, 03:52 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another VW and I would not take this thread as being representative of the true situation.

There are problems (as there are with all cars) for which there are solutions. What you see here is a group of owners who (rightly) want their car to be perfect and notice and highlight the slightest problem. My VW has not been perfect although the problems have been minor, it has no rattles and squeaks and it drives beautifully. My previous four cars were Falcons, one had the diff replaced at 5,000KM, these sorts of issues happen regardless of make.

Most car forums are like this because they attract people who are passionate about their cars and to whom a car is more than just a means of transport.

Cheers

George

Yeah, we're mostly just a bunch of whingers, so don't take too much notice :biggrin: :wasntme:

HiTorque
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Make sure that any uneven gaps between panels sorted out with your dealer in the first 1,000km. They don't tell you that but all panel related issues are covered only in the first 1,000km. I discovered my driver door was a bit off, but car was 1 year old, the answer - too late to claim!

gtimk5
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Your choice I say, I love my GTI.
True, some like to carry on about problems, spose its their nature??
The only thing wrong with my Golf is the doors automatically dont open up for me!!!:biggrin:
Andrew :)

twotribez
02-04-2009, 05:54 PM
haha. Yeah, I think most people will complain about problems but not many will publish the good things.

I am really thinking about getting a run out GTi now as I do need a set of wheels and I don't think I could settle for the 118TSi at the same price.

So who's going to encourage me more ahaha. I am going down on Saturday and if the price is right, I may just sign up. Then maybe in a couple of years, trade it for the R20? haha wishful thinking.

When the GTi MKV GTi came out, I always wanted one, but ended up buying an Evo instead as I felt it was better value. But now the price could be just right again.

I have a feeling, the new GTi will not be out till very late in the year and even if it does, I doubt there will be any discounts.

Guest212
04-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Ignoring the issues I have with mine, I would not hesitate to purchase another VW.

They are good cars.

I don't think i'd want to keep it in its old age though hehe.

acdcfan
13-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Ignoring the issues I have with mine, I would not hesitate to purchase another VW.

They are good cars.

I don't think i'd want to keep it in its old age though hehe.

that makes 2 of us.

datracer99
14-04-2009, 05:58 PM
2 years old, mine is faultless.
Has not had a single issue. :biggrin:
Love it.
Wouldn't trade it for anything at present except maybe a Scirocco if they bring it to Aus....

Treza360
24-04-2009, 07:40 PM
Dad had his driver's side window motor replaced under warranty the other day.
Also had the plastic covering over his auto wiper sensor deteriorate, crack and fall of in bits and pieces. Also replaced under warranty.
The lumbar adjustment on the seat stopped working and eventually the cable or whatever adjusts this broke and was replaced under warranty a month or so ago.
Cheers,
Trent

maca
24-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Warranty!
Warranty!
Warranty!

I love that word!

Treza360
25-04-2009, 10:46 AM
Warranty!
Warranty!
Warranty!
I love that word!
It's good isn't it. :)
My favourite was that Dad could tell the window motor was going and when he took it to VW they said that they couldn't really tell and that it was just a little slow and making lots of excuses. Dad then said that he had owned an EF Fairmont which went through 7 motors in 4 years so he was pretty sure he knew what a dodgy motor sounded like. So as above warranty. :)
Cheers,
Trent

Nathan_B
25-04-2009, 06:10 PM
the wind deflector on my sunroof rattles non stop if only one window is down.. is this normal for anyone else?

ChrisR32
25-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Don't have any rattles in my car. What is rattling, the deflector itself? May want to check it out with the dealer.

jb747
25-04-2009, 09:22 PM
the wind deflector on my sunroof rattles non stop if only one window is down.. is this normal for anyone else?

The 'drumming' sound with the sunroof open? That's the air pressure doing weird things. I just open the rears up an inch or so.

Vdubya
30-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Not a big concern, but had one occasion when the sunglasses holder magically popped open. Think other members displayed this issue as well.

ibbero
18-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Is the R32 made in Germany? My GTI comes from South Africa and I'm sure the build quality isn't as good as German built (talking from experience)

Big Yellow
18-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Is the R32 made in Germany? My GTI comes from South Africa and I'm sure the build quality isn't as good as German built (talking from experience)
R32 = made in Germany

Maverick
18-05-2009, 02:38 PM

There's no difference between them, nearly all the components are sent to South Africa pre assembled and only a few items are made locally (part of the seatbelts are assembled locally for example). Most of the car comes out of Germany and surrounding countries, all they did is South Africa was have robots assemble it and paint it.

xvr6
19-05-2009, 01:12 AM
There's no difference between them, nearly all the components are sent to South Africa pre assembled and only a few items are made locally (part of the seatbelts are assembled locally for example). Most of the car comes out of Germany and surrounding countries, all they did is South Africa was have robots assemble it and paint it.

Robots in South Africa are traffic lights.........

j89
29-05-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not very car-savvy so I'm not too certain if this would fall under a wear and tear issue or if this is a renown problem..the brakes on my FSI Sportline are creaky and groan when coming to a halt or taking off at traffic.
Often when I creep foward at the lights, a loud groan and vibration is felt throughout, almost like the Titanic sinking.
Anyone willing to offer their prognosis?

phaeton
29-05-2009, 07:34 PM
How old and how many kms j89 ?

Guest212
30-05-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not very car-savvy so I'm not too certain if this would fall under a wear and tear issue or if this is a renown problem..the brakes on my FSI Sportline are creaky and groan when coming to a halt or taking off at traffic.
Often when I creep foward at the lights, a loud groan and vibration is felt throughout, almost like the Titanic sinking.
Anyone willing to offer their prognosis?

08 GTI done it from new. Wouldn't worry about it - its pretty normal noise.

as long as its not a shuddering feeling it should be OK but there is the possibility yours are worse as the pads could be stuffed.

Guest212
31-05-2009, 08:34 PM
LOL here i am again...about to whinge...

Anyone else get really heavy steering quite randomly and at really bad times like trying to make a tight u turn?

Over the past month I've noticed this little 'feature' appearing and although its manageable (i'm not a complete fairy) it certainly doesn't feel right. Its like the steering is binding but i know its not, its just losing its power assistance for whatever reason.

Very weird and another bloody issue to bring up when i take it to the dealer later this month.

j89
02-06-2009, 10:51 AM
An 05' model with about 80,000k's. It's been doing it for a while now, I initially brushed it off and tried to ignore it, but as time goes on, it's been irritating me.

Phaeton, Yom, I'm just going to have to suck it up I think.

peterwabbit
04-06-2009, 02:32 PM
I have a weird problem with the rear wiper and tailgate lights none of these work though the washer still works.
Also the tailgate will not always open and makes a strange reset like noise from near the lock mechanism when it does open.
all the fuses seem to be sound though isolating the correct fuse is difficult as the manual shows a fuse array that is back to front and upside down (maybe because it shows the european vehicle?)
any help would be greatly appreciated

btw if anybody is interested I was in the Nth of France last week and dropped into a country VW dealership which was bigger and better and friendlier than any I have visited in Australia.
there website is http://www.garage-dittel.com/
I got a price for a cambelt & waterpump replacement kit it was 380 odd euros about $750 i said thanks but no thanks.
they were still very happy to talk to me even though they preffered german or french - try doing that at your local dealership!!

Mister_duck
10-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Another problem with my Tdi, though not as major as the problems that I have had in the past, the cruise control only works half the time now, some days it works fine and other days you flick the cruise control switch and nothing happens, no light on the dash.

acdcfan
21-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Exactly an 1-1/2 ago at 19.00 WST my turbo has packed it:mad:. I needed to go to ATM to get some money, car started normally, drove it to first STOP sign ( 500m) and there were 5 clunk noises. I stood there until noises were gone and when I started to drive and noticed that the car is not snappy any more between 1200-2500rpm, not jumpy if you know what I mean,which brought above conclusion. :mad:
No warning light on the dash at all, all electric are OK but not sure if there could be other mechanical problems. Engine idles OK and clunk noises are not there any more. We will see in the morning when turbo cools down.
I still think there is a bit of it left but not much., because there is a little bit of oomph above 2000rpm My opinion is that turbine inside has had it. :duh:

Has anyone experienced same problem and how long it took to be repaired?

Maverick
21-06-2009, 10:48 PM
I've found some more info on the AC compressor failures and the changeover date when VW swapped from Zelex/Valeo to the Sanden.

All the info is posted here (http://www.my-gti.com/1038/volkswagen-golf-gti-passat-jetta-and-eos-air-conditioner-compressor-failure).

http://www.my-gti.com/1038

phaeton
22-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Exactly an 1-1/2 ago at 19.00 WST my turbo has packed it:mad:. I needed to go to ATM to get some money, car started normally, drove it to first STOP sign ( 500m) and there were 5 clunk noises. I stood there until noises were gone and when I started to drive and noticed that the car is not snappy any more between 1200-2500rpm, not jumpy if you know what I mean,which brought above conclusion. :mad:
No warning light on the dash at all, all electric are OK but not sure if there could be other mechanical problems. Engine idles OK and clunk noises are not there any more. We will see in the morning when turbo cools down.
I still think there is a bit of it left but not much., because there is a little bit of oomph above 2000rpm My opinion is that turbine inside has had it. :duh:

Has anyone experienced same problem and how long it took to be repaired?

Doesn't sound good :(

Keep us updated ;)

acdcfan
22-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Doesn't sound good :(

Keep us updated ;)

Tomorrow 07.30 going to a dealer for repair. I will let you know. Is it just me or my impression is that turbos should last longer than 50000 km. Currently I have 52000km on the clock.

phaeton
23-06-2009, 06:34 AM
Tomorrow 07.30 going to a dealer for repair. I will let you know. Is it just me or my impression is that turbos should last longer than 50000 km. Currently I have 52000km on the clock.

Yep agreed; should last at least a couple of 100,000kms.

acdcfan
23-06-2009, 08:54 PM
As it turned out it was ECU unit with loose connection that was working on and off.... giving turbo wrong indication of what to do. That was one of the reasons why my car wanted to do a wheelie when launching from the first gear
Got that fixed and got the ECU software upgrade as well. In the process of find out the fault for the turbo, VW dealership has diagnosed that I have an indication of possible fly wheel failure. Upon further inspection, new fly wheel is getting ordered to be replace.
Funny thing is that I didn't know that VW have dual mass fly wheel and they they do come out of alignment which was why I was hearing funny noises after clod start, when pressing on the clutch noises disappear.
Turbo is good now....

Transporter
25-06-2009, 09:09 AM
At just 20,000km I foud oil drop at the bottom of the steering rack.
I wonder if anybody else noticed it on theirs.
It is sealed unit and I don't think it can be topped up.

Vdubya
09-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Had abit of a strange oddity occur last night on the trek home from work. The Passenger side window had a mind of its own and, continued in closing and opening, and engaging the window switch had no effect. Seems to have disappeared this morning though, must be a gremlin at work

:nana:

phaeton
09-07-2009, 07:58 PM
As it turned out it was ECU unit with loose connection that was working on and off.... giving turbo wrong indication of what to do. That was one of the reasons why my car wanted to do a wheelie when launching from the first gear
Got that fixed and got the ECU software upgrade as well. In the process of find out the fault for the turbo, VW dealership has diagnosed that I have an indication of possible fly wheel failure. Upon further inspection, new fly wheel is getting ordered to be replace.
Funny thing is that I didn't know that VW have dual mass fly wheel and they they do come out of alignment which was why I was hearing funny noises after clod start, when pressing on the clutch noises disappear.
Turbo is good now....

Good to hear.

At just 20,000km I foud oil drop at the bottom of the steering rack.
I wonder if anybody else noticed it on theirs.
It is sealed unit and I don't think it can be topped up.

Yeah last service at Solitaire they found an oil leak near the gearbox/sump region.

Car has done approximately 28-29K.

benno
09-07-2009, 08:46 PM
Heya guys,
so my second GT TDI has a bit of an oddity about it. Occasionally there is a real flatspot up to about 2200 rpm, like the turbo is not making boost. Once above that rev range, it's fine - pulls very hard from 2500 up, every time.

It's only intermittent.

Boost leak maybe?

docjames
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
My new GTI (3000kms) has a persistent rattle that sounds like it's coming from the rear left corner of the car. Noticable over road imperfections and also at other times. No vibration etc, nothing loose in cabin / boot.

Is this the tail light clunk, and if so (or if not), will the dealer investigate this FOC or will they sting me a fortune? I'd like it fixed as the car is awesome otherwise but this is driving me nuts.

VW Central
05-08-2009, 08:09 AM
I too have a rattle, which is starting to bug me! It appears to be somewhere in or under the drivers seat. When I break, I can hear it rattle/clunk. Almost as if a coin has been dropped down there. Pretty annoying!

adrian112
05-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Coil pack light came up a couple times last night!!!! uh oh

benough
05-08-2009, 12:07 PM
Coil pack light came up a couple times last night!!!! uh oh

You're not driving it hard enough! :)

When my PDF got a bit clogged, they regenerated it and essentially told me to drive it harder.

Has it been idling at 1000rpm at all recently?

adrian112
05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
didnt think the coil packs had anything to do with the DPF? maybe im just noob hehe....

bazzle
06-08-2009, 08:57 AM
My new GTI (3000kms) has a persistent rattle that sounds like it's coming from the rear left corner of the car. Noticable over road imperfections and also at other times. No vibration etc, nothing loose in cabin / boot.

Is this the tail light clunk, and if so (or if not), will the dealer investigate this FOC or will they sting me a fortune? I'd like it fixed as the car is awesome otherwise but this is driving me nuts.

My R32 as well. Dealer check all mounts, bolts etc. Ive also checked all I can see:frown:
Only heard occaisonally when going over small road imperfections etc.

Bazzle

Spoddy
06-08-2009, 08:59 PM
Check back through this thread.... it is most likely the cord and bob that holds the parcel tray/cover in the back. When the hatch is closed the cord runs through the cover and the weight bob is what bounces around as it just hangs down and swings.

docjames
07-08-2009, 09:55 PM
It's not that - ive had that weight bob noise in the 2.0FSI and its a completely different sound. This is more prominent when it's a jiggly rough road, rather than over say speed humps etc.

bazzle
08-08-2009, 05:37 AM
Check back through this thread.... it is most likely the cord and bob that holds the parcel tray/cover in the back. When the hatch is closed the cord runs through the cover and the weight bob is what bounces around as it just hangs down and swings.

Already removed.

tdi guy
13-08-2009, 08:57 AM
... I've found the engine is almost backfiring first thing when I head up a hill from my home unless I really 'feather' the throttle (and don't exceed about 30 km/h). Twice I've had the engine warning light flicker about 5 times and then stay off (I understand - from RTM - that this is an 'exhaust system' warning light; I'll be taking the car in this week to see if it is merely cold weather running, though I don't recall this happening last winter, which was about the same temperature)...

Just been informed by the dealer that the problem was not DSG or dodgy fuel etc but some pins sheared off the manifold! I'll post further details when I get a fuller explanation. Likely caused by engine movement, apparently, so a warranty job (luckily for me).

Perhaps worryingly, he said he identified the exact cause of the problem within seconds of driving the car (which suggests it may be a common problem).

I've been told it related to the supercharger pressure control thingee, hence the wide swings in boost pressure betwen 1600 and 1900 RPM. The electrical harness wasn't long enough to allow for normal engine movement, so the harness was torn off. Not a problem for TDI's, clearly...

All fixed now, with a longer electrical harness which should avoid the problem re-occuring. Looking forward to driving it again tonight (and a return to that smooth power delivery...).

Thought I'd add this to the register, for future reference.

Spoddy
15-08-2009, 05:07 PM
It's not that - ive had that weight bob noise in the 2.0FSI and its a completely different sound. This is more prominent when it's a jiggly rough road, rather than over say speed humps etc.

Maybe something fallen into the spare wheel well?

SUN56TI
17-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Weird thing happened to me on friday.
i was sitting in my new gti only done 1900km on it, had the radio on as i was waiting for my gf, the car decided to switch itself off while the key was still in it. and everything went blank so i took the key out and restarted the car, and the data in MFD had all gone, it was like the processing unit has restarted itself is that normal? anyone else had that problem??

apart from that i love the car and i have to say best car drive around.

adrian112
17-08-2009, 11:30 AM
got the car back last week.

Nick the service manager told me it was dramas with the boost sensor and wiring harness which was repaired and fixed under warranty. Car was sorted within a day.

any one else have dramas with these components?

didnt think the coil packs had anything to do with the DPF? maybe im just noob hehe....

benough
17-08-2009, 12:19 PM
Nick isn't the service manager. Jason the bald guy in the glass office is :)

Ah well at least it happened under warranty.
How do you find your weitecs? They are made by KW no?

adrian112
17-08-2009, 01:25 PM
Nick isn't the service manager. Jason the bald guy in the glass office is :)

Ah well at least it happened under warranty.
How do you find your weitecs? They are made by KW no?

Oh true he is the "service advisor". yeah to vw/dealers credit most of the dramas i have had with the car get sorted out straight away through warranty so thats good.

Yeah the Weitecs arent bad and they are indeed made by KW, they are pretty much KW V1's using cheaper galvanised steel materials as opposed to stainless steel. Sourced and installed by Dragan @ Inmotive :cool:

benough
17-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah Nick's a good guy. Mark's a bit keen but good nonetheless.

Well I would be keen to see the ride height on your car sometime. Don't see you round the traps (the hills)

pangy
17-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Brand new air-conditioner is blowing hot air. I wonder what the record is for the life of a VW air-conditioner, mines only been in the car 1 month.

tdi guy
17-08-2009, 09:56 PM
got the car back last week.

Nick the service manager told me it was dramas with the boost sensor and wiring harness which was repaired and fixed under warranty. Car was sorted within a day.

any one else have dramas with these components?

I did (see my post 3 before yours) but mine is a TSI. VW must have got a batch of short harnesses...

airofu
27-08-2009, 08:41 PM
I had a really annoying squeak in my 08 R32 towards the rear when ever going over any small bumps on the road....found it was the rear seats making the noise where it locks in from folding down....open and slammed them shut quite hard, nothing since :)

maca
27-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Well nothing serious (apart from the original crackly radio issue which i'm over now that i've got my Aux input ;)..

I've got auto locking activated. But when I go over the speed to lock, it'll lock then unlock straight away.. Then when I pull up at say an intersection or something and drive away, it'll lock as per usual. This can keep happening over and over until I open and close the door where it'll usually sort out the issue.

Another problem is when I turn the car off but leave the key in the ignition, my radio will turn off (the opposite of what it's supposed to do). Then about 15 mins later it'll come on!! Scared the crap outta me the first time as I was home alone and didn't remember inviting Lily Allen over.. :P

Guest212
28-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyone walked down to their car and found all the windows open but the car locked?

Key hasn't been anywhere near it to activate the keyfob window roll down thingy it can do (as in, through multiple layers of concrete).

Very odd indeed.

maca
28-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Anyone walked down to their car and found all the windows open but the car locked?

Key hasn't been anywhere near it to activate the keyfob window roll down thingy it can do (as in, through multiple layers of concrete).

Very odd indeed.
Could be a short in the key that sets the roll down on, but then the doors relock themselves once no one opens them?