PDA

View Full Version : Reversing Sensor with Towbar fitted

PA.
10-11-2010, 12:47 PM
Picked up my new CC last week and was told that the rear parking sensors pick up the genuine tow bar and I have to turn off the system if I don't want it going off all the time. As I tow frequently I have no intention of taking the tow bar off each time but still want the sensors to work.

Does any one else have this problem and can it be fixed?

Caddyman
10-11-2010, 02:54 PM
What a load of codswallop!, I have a tow bar fitted, and if the trailer is connected(i.e. the wiring plugged in) then the reverse sensors are disabled, and a picture of a trailer appears in the Optical parking sensors at the rear of the car. without it plugged in and with no trailer attached they do not go off at all.(unless you are near something obviously) Mine is a wagon but that should make no difference.

Matthew

team_v
10-11-2010, 02:58 PM
What a load of codswallop!, I have a tow bar fitted, and if the trailer is connected(i.e. the wiring plugged in) then the reverse sensors are disabled, and a picture of a trailer appears in the Optical parking sensors at the rear of the car. without it plugged in and with no trailer attached they do not go off at all.(unless you are near something obviously) Mine is a wagon but that should make no difference.

Matthew

This is what i have heard as well.
It shouldn't sense the towbar and it also should deactivate the sensors if there is anything plugged into the towbar.

PhillipAudiDealer
10-11-2010, 03:13 PM
This is all true.. My Touareg the same. work when Hitch is still on but trailer not connected via Harness.

PA.
10-11-2010, 04:24 PM
I'll call the service department and get them on to it. Thanks everyone.

Umai Naa!!
10-11-2010, 06:04 PM
I've not seen it on a VW yet, but some types of reverse sensors will go off if they pick up the presence of a nice shiney tow ball (I.e. no trailer hooked up).

See how you go. I think you'll be fine.

PA.
10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Shiny Ball Update.

Put a sock over the chrome ball cover, no beeping. Took chrome ball cover off, no beeping.

So now the shiny chrome ball cover is in the boot.

Cheers

Umai Naa!!
10-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Good work. Sounds like you've reached an adequate compromise.

IN2VWS
14-11-2010, 09:44 PM
If the towbar is installed properly (and it is a genuine wiring kit), then it shouldn't beep. I assume it is similar with the passats, but for a while VW was selling Hayman Reece kits with local wiring looms for the T5's. These kits did not have the wiring that had to be run from the back of the car to behind the dash (for vehicles with parking sensors). The German wiring kits had all the required looms. It was a bastard of a job to fit, as the dash had to be dismantled to fit the wiring. Some dealers don't want to fit the wiring, so they tell the customer that the beeping is normal.

mjacko69
13-04-2016, 01:54 PM
If the towbar is installed properly (and it is a genuine wiring kit), then it shouldn't beep. I assume it is similar with the passats, but for a while VW was selling Hayman Reece kits with local wiring looms for the T5's. These kits did not have the wiring that had to be run from the back of the car to behind the dash (for vehicles with parking sensors). The German wiring kits had all the required looms. It was a bastard of a job to fit, as the dash had to be dismantled to fit the wiring. Some dealers don't want to fit the wiring, so they tell the customer that the beeping is normal.

Hi

I've just had a Hayman Reece kit fitted to my Golf AllTrack, and unfortunately the tow-ball (with nothing attached, eg trailer) is picked up by the sensors when reverse is engaged. Covering it with a sock didn't fool it.

Any other suggestions, other than removing the hitch? Ideally I'd like to leave the hitch attached so that I can quickly put on/off my bike rack.

I wonder if the genuine tow-bar system would also see the ball as an obstacle?

Thanks
PS Not sure if this is in the correct forum, but the issue looks to be generic.
Here's the more generic post - http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/f197/parking-sensor-issues-new-tow-bar-112522.html?highlight=#post1180694

rjt86
17-04-2016, 10:44 AM
I believe BestBars in NZ were supplying VW Aus with tow bars which were factory fitted. When this was optioned up depending on the car model of course, they should install the trailer electrics module in the boot which detects when a trailer is connected to disable the sensors or not, it also provides trailer stability control.