PDA

View Full Version : Planning on buying a 1.9TDI DSG

Moonan
06-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Hi all Golfers,
I normally lurk around the Touareg and TDI sections, but SWMBO is about to trade her Honda Jazz for a new Golf.
We have decided on a 1.9TDI comfortline with the DSG, and are going through the the pre-purchase decision-making process. What is the wisdom of the forum on things to look out for, advice, comments, etc.
We are after comfort and economy, as well as the obvious quality and engineering of the VW product (I am up over 80k in the Touareg R5 in 20 months and very happy with it).

I am also planning to use a car broker (http://.www.carbroker.com.au) for the purchase and will post here how that progresses. It saved me around 10% of list price for the Egg and I have high hopes for it this time too!

Over to you folks.....

cheers

Goneincognito
07-05-2007, 01:11 PM
I have a 1.9 TDI Comfortline in a Manual and it is a great little car (if you can get past a few little warranty issues which are only a problem for me as there is no dealer here in Ballarat until next month).

I am getting around 1100km to a tank which is mostly around town with a 200km highway trip now and then. I'm not a small person and I find it to be quite comfortable (more so than my previous 2 BA/BF XR6's).

I rang every dealer in VIC and seriously dealt with 3 of them and I saved around 10%.

The wait is the hard part. I had to wait 4 months for mine to come as there were none speced how I wanted the the country. I'm glad I did though as it ment that got an 07 spec.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

adski
07-05-2007, 09:25 PM
Hello Moonan

Congratulation on your pending VW purchase

My only comment with the 1.9L golf is that its 25% less powerful than the 2.0L and you have to consider resale value. I ended up purchasing the 2.0L for that reason.
Although dont get me wrong, the 1.9L is still a beautiful car...

Thats my 2 cents worth.
Cheers

Regards
Adam

4potscreamer
07-05-2007, 09:45 PM
I agree with ADSKI with going with the 2.0 TDi. I bought one a few years back before i got the GTI. Common sense would have told me to go with 1.9 but after driving the 2.0 i couldn't go back. The extra performance and the ease in which it delivers its power left me with no doubt it would be the best extra couple of grand i'd spent. Its a cheap upgrade when you can almost spend a couple of grand on Bi-Xenons!

I'm not sure about resale at present but i'm sure the 2.0TDI will be the most sort after example in years to come

Goneincognito
09-05-2007, 01:03 PM
Not having driven either one before, the 1.9 drove like I thought the 2.0 would. I don't really care about the resale value, I buy if I'm happy with the car (remember the 2x XR Falcons).

At the end of the day, either are a great car but go with what you like. If you consider the 2.0 I would also consider the sportline over the comfortline..

Moonan
09-05-2007, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone...
My budget says polo, my strong preference says diesel, and my wife says "auto".
So that is how we arrive at Golf 1.9TDI. The comfortline spec looks like quite good value over the trendline, and I'm sure the sportline is better again and so is the 2 litre. But you have to draw the line somewhere.
I've driven the 1.9, and as Goneincognito says, it is powerful enough. Like with the Touareg, I have the smallest diesel (2.5) and that is no slouch either.
Now for the actual buying.
The on-road RRP I have been quoted for exactly the spec I want is around $38300. My local dealer has offered $1000 off.
The car broker has come back with a starting price of $36600 and and he uses this as a "reserve" and he is conducting a "reverse auction" by e-mail with the dealers that he contacts to see who will achieve the absolute best price. His prices include delivery to my house and a full tank of fuel.
This process is under way today, and I should have an answer tomorrow. I will post the result (be it good or mediocre).
Cheers,

briseos
10-05-2007, 10:31 AM
Not having driven either one before, the 1.9 drove like I thought the 2.0 would. I don't really care about the resale value, I buy if I'm happy with the car (remember the 2x XR Falcons).

At the end of the day, either are a great car but go with what you like. If you consider the 2.0 I would also consider the sportline over the comfortline..

agree ++ - have 45000km 2.0TDi Sportline - brilliant, loose, seriously fast and getting more and more torque as it grows up.... wonder when it will stop improving. Drove 1.9 recently (comfortline, 35000kms) and only then appreciated the amazingly big gap between the two combinations once they have properly run in...

Anyone wanna buy a 2.0TDi Sportline with leather?? Interested in interest level as selling in September/October (50,000kms)

Goneincognito
10-05-2007, 11:24 AM
The on-road RRP I have been quoted for exactly the spec I want is around $38300. My local dealer has offered $1000 off.
The car broker has come back with a starting price of $36600 and and he uses this as a "reserve" and he is conducting a "reverse auction" by e-mail with the dealers that he contacts to see who will achieve the absolute best price. His prices include delivery to my house and a full tank of fuel.
This process is under way today, and I should have an answer tomorrow. I will post the result (be it good or mediocre).
Cheers,

What specs are you after??

Sounds like you're getting a highly speced one for that money.

let us know...

Moonan
10-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Exact spec is:
Golf Comfortline 1.9 TDI with DSG, metallic paint, reversing sensors, mud flaps all round, floor mats, ipod adaptor, NSW regd with slimline (b/w) numberplates.

The car broker has come back with 35760, delivered to my place in Newcastle and full of fuel.

Goneincognito
10-05-2007, 12:46 PM
That's not bad..I reckon they could do a little better.

I paid slightly less than the cost on the VW website (as well as no orc or stamp duty).

I would now take that price to a couple of other dealers and see what they can do. It could pay off.

Moonan
10-05-2007, 01:35 PM
One of the joys of doing it this way is not having to spend my time going to and talking to dealers. A day away from home to talk to dealers in Sydney costs me > $1000 in lost business so I'm happy where I am with this.
In the end I am posting this experience so as to see it for what it is - good or bad - as far as pricing and delivery of a new car. My last experience (with the Touareg) put me $4k ahead of the best a dealer would do, so I was happy to do it again. There is obviously not as much margin in a Golf, but that is OK.

Goneincognito
11-05-2007, 12:10 AM
At the end of the day, you got the car you wanted at a price you are happy to pay so nobody can complain about that.

Is the car available in the country or does it have to be ordered?

Grats in the order :-)

gtiono
12-05-2007, 07:32 PM
If you buy a 1.9TDI and get it flashed/chipped you will bring it close the 2.0TDI power and torque output.

Moonan
12-05-2007, 09:54 PM
I know, in fact it is the same model chip (from DP / tunit / Berrima) as already lives in my Touareg ;) so it might get a try-out (but don't tell SWMBO)
Probably need a different adaptor to plug into the loom but that shouldn't be hard to sort out.
BTW, if anyone is looking for one of these chips at a good price, my mate Matthew - who has gone soft in the head and replaced his Touareg with a Pa-hero - has one for sale. Fits both 1.9 and 2.0 Golfs...
check out his thread on the Touareg board.click here (http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/newforum/upload/showthread.php?t=5145)

Is the car available in the country or does it have to be ordered?According to the successful tenderer (Barloworld) it is "in the system", I should know more on Monday

TDI DSG
13-05-2007, 08:13 AM
Exact spec is:
Golf Comfortline 1.9 TDI with DSG, metallic paint, reversing sensors, mud flaps all round, floor mats, ipod adaptor, NSW regd with slimline (b/w) numberplates.

The car broker has come back with 35760, delivered to my place in Newcastle and full of fuel.

If you are not already commited at that price I would try a little harder as I purchased a 07 2.0 TDI with everything you have listed minus the parking sensors for less than this quote

Moonan
15-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for all of the replies and support everyone - including the comments on price not being as sharp as it could have been. I have put the order on "hold" - may be going overseas for about a year for work, and it would be better to get a 2008 model when I get back than have a 2007 model sitting in the shed for a year.

cheers,

adski
17-05-2007, 10:22 AM
Just to give you an idea of pricing for the 2.0L TDI

I purchsed one 2 weeks ago with these specs

2.0L TDI 2005 model
23,000Kms
Silver with full handle and bumper silver colour coding
Leather interior
Sunroof
Manual

for $32,500