PDA

View Full Version : Eibach, coil slap?

mitch_gti
06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Good evening everyone,

Hope you all had a safe and enjoyable weekend.

I spent all day today fitting my eibach springs with my brother.

Now that i have gone for a little drive they have set down a fair bit and they ride very comfortably aswell (pro kit)

there are noises comming from the front end, crash bang crash bang....

we have checked all the nuts and bolts, sway bar attachments, bump stops etc etc.

Happens only over very uneven surfaces.

And how the hell do you remove the standard front swaybar? we tried to fit my new whiteline one day and we couldnt get the standard f*cker out. !!!!!!

gpk_gti
06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
sound like your drive shaft is hitting the standard swaybar??common prob for very low mk4 golfs..could be the same prob??

mitch_gti
06-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the response.

Only thing is that the lowering kit is supposed to be 15mm.

By very low im guessing you would be talking a 45-50mm drop

gpk_gti
06-05-2007, 08:03 PM
hmm,,I think ive dropped about 25mm on my golf with coilovers but I still had to change the sway bar.put some chalk or something like that on that curve and take a drive and see if it comes off to the other side...

ryan_GTI
06-05-2007, 08:10 PM
mind posting a pic aswell :cool:

i wanna see exactly how much lower the pro-kit look on the polo

mitch_gti
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Why did you have to change the sway bar?

I do have a whiteline adjustable sway bar ready to go in. but i couldnt get the freakin oem one out. undid all the bolts. but the shape of it pointed to maybe complete suspension subframe removal to change it.

If anything i thought this noise would be made worse by the whiteline bar, as it is visibly thicker than the standard one.

Pictures will come tommorow

gtimk5
07-05-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi Mitch. You must lower the rear of the subframe down to replace the swaybar. The motor must be supported from memory. Check for marks on the driveshafts as to whether they are hitting the swaybar as well
Good luck with it all, Andrew :)

mitch_gti
07-05-2007, 09:38 PM
Guys,

You were right.

After a good 30kms of driving we hopped under the car again and noticed a couple little marks where a tiny bit of paint has worn off the drive shafts from where the sway bar was hitting.

Now.. the whiteline adjustable swaybar that i have has two different holes... one where the standard placement is and one which if im correct would pull the sway bar up about 2cm which SHOULD mean it would clear the driveshafts over bumps.

Am i correct in assuming this???

Now the real question, who can fit this front sway bar for me? should i take it to my VW service dept? im guessing it would be difficult, as someone mentioned you need engine supports a hoist and removing alot of suspension components...and probably a good couple hours of a mechanics time. How much will this cost me?

gpk_gti
07-05-2007, 09:41 PM
haha! told you:D !!! what area you at???

mitch_gti
07-05-2007, 10:10 PM
hahaa shut up !!!

newcastle nsw..... where should i go?