PDA

View Full Version : Have you Dyno'd your car? KW?

fuzion
04-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Wondering what everyone has put out on the dyno;-

1: Dyno used (MDX, Dyno Dynamics, etc)
2: Car, MK4 Golf 1.8t, Mk5 2.0 FSi-Turbo
3: Modifications
4: Prior to modifications

Just curious

fuzion
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
everyone scared of puttin dyno results? lol

h100vw
06-05-2007, 10:05 AM
90kw at the wheels. std A3 turbo

Oneofthegreats
06-05-2007, 10:40 AM
I dyno'd my old beater roughly 10 years ago.

Standard GTI running gear in a Mk1 GLD.

It made a whopping 66kw atw:o Which worked out to be approx 115hp.

Then dyno'd about 6 years later on the same dyno & still made 66kw atw.
Can't remember what brand dyno it was. Too long ago.

Bora Sport
06-05-2007, 11:04 AM
1. Dyno Dynamics
2. 1999 Seat Ibiza Cupra
3. Bog standard including dirty paper element air cleaner

92kW atw at 6,900.

Less 6hp with the air conditioning on.

EndlessMKI
06-05-2007, 11:40 AM
1. Dyno Dynamics
2. 1999 Seat Ibiza Cupra
3. Bog standard including dirty paper element air cleaner

92kW atw at 6,900.

Less 6hp with the air conditioning on.

Vey interesting.

I got 87KW, have no idea what dyno. MKIII GtI 2L 16V motor with intake, standard exhaust but stand alone wolf ecu.

Admittedly I've got an old version of the ABF (1995 stamped on block) but motor itself seems healthy. Proper exhaust system I think will help with the numbers.

DOHCDAVE
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Dyno Dynamics

mk1

16v 1.8 pl

100.9 hp atw
75 kw "
12 months ago

Bora Sport
06-05-2007, 03:36 PM
It depends on the temperature of the day, the humidity, the gear used. My Cupra above was done in 4th gear, Chip Torque on the Gold Coast did my Mk2 16V and my VR6 in third gear??

You can never really compare results from different dynos (even if they are the same make).

However it is interesting that my results show the stock setup must be pretty good which is exactly what the guy who did the dyno run said.

SoVeReIgN
06-05-2007, 05:18 PM
It depends on the temperature of the day, the humidity, the gear used. My Cupra above was done in 4th gear, Chip Torque on the Gold Coast did my Mk2 16V and my VR6 in third gear??

You can never really compare results from different dynos (even if they are the same make).

However it is interesting that my results show the stock setup must be pretty good which is exactly what the guy who did the dyno run said.

True you cant compare different dyno results done on different days/dynos.

But - The dyno will be done in either 3rd or 4th gear depending on which gear is the 1:1 ratio.

You'll find most 6 speed boxes will be done in 4th and most 5 done in 3rd.

G60JAY
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM
184HP at the wheels at the moment.

DIDZ
07-05-2007, 07:27 PM
True you cant compare different dyno results done on different days/dynos.

But - The dyno will be done in either 3rd or 4th gear depending on which gear is the 1:1 ratio.

You'll find most 6 speed boxes will be done in 4th and most 5 done in 3rd.

I know the MKIV's 1:1 ratio is 4th gear.

fuzion
07-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I know the MKIV's 1:1 ratio is 4th gear.

have you dynod yours yet?

DIDZ
08-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Sure have.

have you dynod yours yet?

BL33SU
08-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Sure have.

so... gonna tell us how much power or we gonna guess:D j:

shaneth
08-05-2007, 06:59 PM
But - The dyno will be done in either 3rd or 4th gear depending on which gear is the 1:1 ratio.[
QUOTE]

Not always correct anymore. Here is what a dyno operator i know had to say. [QUOTE]It doesn't really matter if a dyno run is done in 3rd or 4th or any gear for that matter, there's usually little difference in power - it just changes the rate at which the car ramps up or revs (quicker in lower gears) and the speed the tyres are turning at the end of the run - eg at the top of 4th the car could be doing close to 200kph! Hence we almost always use 3rd gear.

From what i have read its got to do with rev range now days

finemk1
08-05-2007, 08:28 PM
i had 86.5kw from a low comp 2lt 16v, will have specs on my kr in a few days for ya, current engine build aim is 250bhp +, fingers crossed

fuzion
08-05-2007, 09:08 PM
nice! .. keep us updated!

aprr32
08-05-2007, 09:33 PM
unless its air forced-good luck.

WABIT
12-05-2007, 02:12 PM
dyno dynamics
mk1 golf gti 1.8 k-jet with mild cam
66.7kw in 3rd gear

wabit

Oneofthegreats
12-05-2007, 02:17 PM
You've got an animal on your hands there just like mine.
Mine was in fourth. 1:1.

I don't know how they can manage to stay on the road j:

WABIT
13-05-2007, 04:41 PM
hahahaha yea... myne was in 3rd gear

wabit

WABIT
13-05-2007, 04:42 PM
ohh steve from MSC told me that they only do this:

5 gears - top run 3rd
6 gears - top run 4th

wabit

fuzion
20-05-2007, 09:43 PM
I just find it strange that especially the newer cars (mk4/mk5/pogos) dont want to jump onto a Dyno to see what they are currently getting or more so after they have spent x amount of money on something that should give them a considerable gain and not interested in seeing if the money was worthwhile spent or not really..

just in consideration why bother modding it then if you dont know what itll achieve?

shaneth
20-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Fuzion come on mate, there is no need to accuse people of being scared or anything like this. Maybe they dont want to spend the money, maybe they dont care and the seat of there pants is enough of a guage. Maybe they dont think that dyno's are reliable (which i dont blame them). Maybe they want to wait till all there mods are finalised before spending the money. Who knows but the reason is there own and shouldnt be put down because of it.

And btw i will be dynoing mine asap just before and just after my chip.

fuzion
20-05-2007, 10:19 PM
Fuzion come on mate, there is no need to accuse people of being scared or anything like this. Maybe they dont want to spend the money, maybe they dont care and the seat of there pants is enough of a guage. Maybe they dont think that dyno's are reliable (which i dont blame them). Maybe they want to wait till all there mods are finalised before spending the money. Who knows but the reason is there own and shouldnt be put down because of it.

And btw i will be dynoing mine asap just before and just after my chip.

lol.. fair call dude yeah understandable. not having an attack at anybody for not making it to days or not wanting to as such. it seems that everyone is all for the mods and power but no one shows how much of an improvement or what the car is at etc etc but no body hops on one for some reason!?

if your unsure about an unreliable dyno best to jump on prior to mods, then again after you finished to give you an estimate on WHAT you car has improved on if anything. then if your still unhappy seek another place or advice from others who have used different dynos etc.

PoloGTi
20-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Ok so good old tassie has few dynos prob about 3 that i know of in the state lol and theres no club dyno day type events. But if i ever get a chance ill post up my reasults for sure.

fuzion
21-05-2007, 05:51 AM
get onto that ferry and go to melb! lol

fasti06
21-05-2007, 09:53 AM
Interesting that know one on here uses dyno for measuring the mods and tune they got on their cars! Over on the dark side we all have tuners who are re-flashing the ecu to take into account the modifications done to the car.

For me it meant going from stock of 160 kw at the wheels to 187 kw (250 hp) and torque of 310 Nm to 350 Nm now. This with just a k&n filter and 3"catback zorst. dyno run was in 4th gear on dyno dynamics hub dyno.

SoVeReIgN
21-05-2007, 10:01 AM
Meh - Its just a figure, i'd much rather worry about how it feels on the road etc.

But with that said,
Stock : 93.9kw @ fronts (DD Dyno)
Modded : 125kw @ fronts (Mainline Dyno)

Mods - Giac tune, 3" dump pipe + highflow cat (otherwise standard exhaust), N75J valve, Turbosmart BOV, ****ty air-intake that was accidently blocked off for the dyno :S

I'm sure if I took it back to the first place I got it dyno'd now, i'd get 130+ :)

fuzion
21-05-2007, 10:35 AM
sov, your car went well :P the a3s with chips always pull a few more kws then the Golfs ive been told!

abreut
21-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hey Fuzion, you haven't mentioned what your dyno results are in this thread?

fuzion
21-05-2007, 11:45 AM
check the club meet thread of the dyno day. :rolleyes:
121.8 running still lean on the oettinger chip lol.. so time for a upgrade!

DIDZ
21-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Here's my air/fuel ratio, after much interest and conjecture.

Fuzion, I've PM'd you about your ratio - I've posted mine, post yours.

Maybe we could possibly see where the issue is, and as I've said before it may not necessarily be the chip, but a mod that is holding it back.

DIDZ
04-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Still no response.

Good luck to your issues.

My Golf will be re-dyno'd without correction in July... no bull**** figures here.

gpk_gti
04-06-2007, 04:23 PM
interesting.

fuzion
04-06-2007, 08:04 PM
mm i keep forgetting to read all these stupid threads lately arggh! lol

you should come to the dyno days or gtg afterwards and u could of seen it .. lol

i keep forgetting and now i cant find it, from another thread i wrote in another forum it was over the 14 mark with 4bar and way over the 15 with the 3bar..

gpk_gti
04-06-2007, 08:27 PM

hahahahhahahahha,,very funny fuzion!! you started this thread!!! hahahahhahaha ,,good one!!!!!j:

DIDZ
04-06-2007, 08:29 PM

you should come to the dyno days or gtg afterwards and u could of seen it .. lol

i keep forgetting and now i cant find it, from another thread i wrote in another forum it was over the 14 mark with 4bar and way over the 15 with the 3bar..

1) You're the "smart" person who created this stupid thread.

2) Wouldn't the air:fuel be 15 mark with 4bar and 14 mark with 3bar ?

Someone obviously is talking rubbish - or they obviously don't think before they post...

DubSteve
04-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Come on you lot enough antagonising everyone.

This thread is starting to boil, enough we all know that there is debate about dyno's, chips, performance parts and what nots.

So no need to go over the top. If this thread is not going to stop problems, this thread will be locked!

Everyone has been warned!!!

fuzion
04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
1) You're the "smart" person who created this stupid thread.

2) Wouldn't the air:fuel be 15 mark with 4bar and 14 mark with 3bar ?

Someone obviously is talking rubbish - or they obviously don't think before they post...

read what i said.

3bar .. with me? .. 15+
4bar .. 14

if im the "smart" person who started this, your the smarter person who missed on what i said obviously dude. .. sorry but really come on! i said it pretty straight out.

soon as i find the sheet amongst all the other stuff everywhere i will post it up but havent gotten around to it. just like your dyno results :) so much of a muchness there

DIDZ
04-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Come on you lot enough antagonising everyone.

This thread is starting to boil, enough we all know that there is debate about dyno's, chips, performance parts and what nots.

So no need to go over the top. If this thread is not going to stop problems, this thread will be locked!

Everyone has been warned!!!

Thread is starting to boil ? It's not even lukewarm.

I've got no problems about chips, dynos, certain model cars or people in general Steve.

I do have a problem however when someone will moan about something, but when you would like to help said person they become silent after making a lot of noise, and dissapears.

There are questions I'd like to ask a lot of different people, but it seems as a community everyone doesn't want to say anything. And when they do, they expect to be pillorised in the form of "well it's this chip, this car".

If I've gone over the top, please kindly point it out.

Kind Regards,

Didier.

fuzion
04-06-2007, 08:49 PM
same with me, i aint fussed. im simply sayin what it was .. 15 with 3, and 14 with the 4 .. (121.8 i think it 122.8?) one of those two figures.

ill try redo it shortly again when i get a chance and see then what it pulls which im sure a bit higher due to the winter weather possibly.. if im lucky lol

-
however i will try this time to properly hook up all the hoses/lines and give a full read out over rpm as well as you know most places wont do that/dont do that as your just doing a power run as well

Golf Loon
04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
I wont be locking the thread I will be deleting.

Fuzion pull your head in and grow up.

Who cares? Its a stupid discussion and is a continuation of "My Dads harder than your Dad" game the school kids prattle on about.

So what if person A`s car gives 2kws more than person B? Its all down to driver ability, cohesiveness of mods and road conditions anyway. All the drivers, best and worst are restricted to the speed limit anyway so who gives........

Friendly warning to you all, keep it civil and constructive.

fuzion
04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
golf, not to be rude but the whole point is the a/f ratio's we're talkin about here not about HIGH numbers at all.

so no offense dude but really read through it a bit because im not saying anyones car is more or less powerful on either or just queryin mods and whts been done for the outcome of their result, and wherefor didz is askin and showing a/f ratios as he and myself obviously getting very mixed figures on dynos :P

fuzion
04-06-2007, 09:01 PM
didz

15.2 3.0b - 3.59 SAE J607
14.1 4.0b - 3.00 SAE J607

Thats from what ive written down in notes. its all in graph as far as i remember so that was a rough guestimate of where it was sitting on the graph.

Its running quite lean, have a look at the thread on vortex for more info. Big in depth there, cant find it to post it for you .. ill keep search (stupid **** gets archived)

brackie
05-06-2007, 06:24 AM
Friendly warning to you all, keep it civil and constructive.
Reading back through the Dyno Day thread it seems that everybody had a great day, enjoyed each other's company and got a lot out of it. That's how we would like it to continue, thanks.

I totally agree with Loon. One of the reasons that we started this forum was so that people could get away from the one-upmanship that prevails elsewhere so that VW watercooled owners could have reasoned, unemotional discussions about their cars and what they have done to them, not arguments over a couple of points on a dyno readout.

I've been very disappointed with the attitude and comments of some of our users over the last couple of days and I want to see this sort of thing cease. It shouldn't be necessary for members of the admin team to have to threaten deletions and/or locking of threads as we're all adults and should be supporting the ethos of this forum which is friendly cooperation....not argumentative rivalry. I'm certain that you've witnessed other forums degenerate into unmoderated chaos and like me wouldn't want to see that happen here. I would rather shut the forum down altogether than have it suffer the same fate.

fuzion
05-06-2007, 07:20 AM
Reading back through the Dyno Day thread it seems that everybody had a great day, enjoyed each other's company and got a lot out of it. That's how we would like it to continue, thanks.

I totally agree with Loon. One of the reasons that we started this forum was so that people could get away from the one-upmanship that prevails elsewhere so that VW watercooled owners could have reasoned, unemotional discussions about their cars and what they have done to them, not arguments over a couple of points on a dyno readout.

I've been very disappointed with the attitude and comments of some of our users over the last couple of days and I want to see this sort of thing cease. It shouldn't be necessary for members of the admin team to have to threaten deletions and/or locking of threads as we're all adults and should be supporting the ethos of this forum which is friendly cooperation....not argumentative rivalry. I'm certain that you've witnessed other forums degenerate into unmoderated chaos and like me wouldn't want to see that happen here. I would rather shut the forum down altogether than have it suffer the same fate.

true true.. but as i said we're talkin about a/f ratios at present not actual figures! :) i have no problems what so ever and im sure the rest of the guys dont either tho so its all good Brackie :P

gpk_gti
05-06-2007, 08:06 AM
no probs here,,,just a friendly debate!! :)

gldgti
20-07-2007, 11:02 AM
I just find it strange that especially the newer cars (mk4/mk5/pogos) dont want to jump onto a Dyno to see what they are currently getting or more so after they have spent x amount of money on something that should give them a considerable gain and not interested in seeing if the money was worthwhile spent or not really..

just in consideration why bother modding it then if you dont know what itll achieve?

if we all drove around on dyno's all day maybe that would be a priority.

as it happens, we get in our cars and drive on roads.... hence if it feels better, who cares what the dyno numbers are?

gpk_gti
20-07-2007, 04:12 PM
seat of your pants is the best indicator!:D

DubSteve
20-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Dyno butt for the win :D

KI11Z
21-07-2007, 09:59 AM
OBD1 12v VR6 with iridium plugs and a press-bent 2.25 cat back . . .

fuzion
21-07-2007, 10:31 AM
nice kiiz! 111kw roughly that is it accordin to the calc!

cant beat the exhaust tone on the vr!

DubSteve
21-07-2007, 12:02 PM
nice kiiz! 111kw roughly that is it accordin to the calc!

cant beat the exhaust tone on the vr!

:D:D:D:D Damn Straight, I got something similar to yours Alex 112.5 at wheels.

quozl
22-07-2007, 09:16 AM
146.3 KW or 196.19 HP at the wheels
Dyno Dynamics Dyno 20/4/04
ECU Upgrade running BP 98
No other mods back then and didn't re dyno it after the exhaust or intake upgrades.

Cheers Al

GOLFRACER
24-07-2007, 12:09 AM
My 1980 MK1 (4door) GLD running a 1987cc basically 2l 8v Peter Shelley (Canberra VW Centre Motor) NA Twin valve Webber, modified cam, modified fuel system got 77KW first on the dyno, i later had the carby re-built and hand drilled jets put in to it getting me to another 92KW, later adding New BOSH coil, Leads, custom air pipe and box, 2"5inch hod dog exchasut, shortened manifold + return made me get 117kw tuned by Crossley Racing and Engineering in Woollongabba back about a year ago... Now i'm doing it all over again this time with a turbo, American Pistons, the works - Mike Vine From Mike Vine Turbo Brisbane builds ridcoulous race cars of all kinds for various teams has agreed to take to the challenge with me and push for 260-310hp - hope i sell some more homes to pay him lol :)

Water Boy
24-07-2007, 08:10 PM
92KW, later adding New BOSH coil, Leads, custom air pipe and box, 2"5inch hod dog exchasut, shortened manifold + return made me get 117kw

Mate they are some decent Kw figures in a Mk1 Golf are you sure they are not HP figures... Because i know a guy with a 1.6 8v with ITB's on MoTeC that is fully race spec revving to 8500rpm and he produces 100hp at the wheels... I know its a 2ltr but they are some decent figures...

Cheers James :)

PS not trying to have a stab n:

Fizz
28-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Last time it was dyno'ed i made 107KW at the wheels peaking at 9psi. Car was stock apart from CAT removed from OEM setup and a K&N Panel filter in the airbox. Haven't had a chance to see what's she pushing since.

Valver.
29-12-2007, 07:21 AM
Mate they are some decent Kw figures in a Mk1 Golf are you sure they are not HP figures... Because i know a guy with a 1.6 8v with ITB's on MoTeC that is fully race spec revving to 8500rpm and he produces 100hp at the wheels... I know its a 2ltr but they are some decent figures...

Cheers James :)

PS not trying to have a stab n:

That sounds about right :)

It is literally impossible to have made 117kW at the wheels without major headwork and larger valves in the 8v head (and a cam in the 300deg region, along with 12:1+ pistons!!) as it cannot mechanically flow well enough to make that sort of power.

117BHP is more likely and still a very good achievement from an 8v :)

Water Boy
29-12-2007, 11:37 AM
That sounds about right :)

It is literally impossible to have made 117kW at the wheels without major headwork and larger valves in the 8v head (and a cam in the 300deg region, along with 12:1+ pistons!!) as it cannot mechanically flow well enough to make that sort of power.

117BHP is more likely and still a very good achievement from an 8v :)

Yeah u know what ya talkin' about Stu...

Golf Houso
29-12-2007, 06:55 PM
690 hp at the front wheels whilst running on dual flux capicitors j:

Jesus its all just numbers... anyways...

Never done one, but to put things in perspective here, 8v GL's pull around 92hp at the front wheels so I'm guessing mine is about the same.