PDA

View Full Version : Forge Motorsport - The Splitter

dodgeGTI
04-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Am thinking about purchasing one of these
http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/

Does anybody know anything about these? I'm new to turbo cars but wouldn't mind a bit of woosh noise (a little lame I know). The site says that it has a stealth setting if you get sick of the sound.

Will this effect the cars performance (+ or -)?

Kai
04-05-2007, 12:03 PM
You will only get noise if the car is chipped.
I have a turbosmart valve and when in stock mode. You cant hear it.
The noise you get isnt really that good anyway. Just a ccccht. Sounds like a compressor realeasing.
Best was ive found so far for a wanky noise is pod filter with stock bov.

Shade
04-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Just in case you didn't know they are very illegal as well.

SoVeReIgN
04-05-2007, 12:30 PM
You will only get noise if the car is chipped.

What? Rubbish.

There was almost no difference between my car stock and chipped with a Turbosmart Dual port BOV.

I quite like it, gives a nice PSHHH sound.. I think it sounded better when it was stock though - Less pressure meant it made a slightly different noise, with more boost it sounds more direct and quicker.

Just try it out - It takes all of about 10seconds to swap it over (no joke)

EDIT: Sorry I may have been slightly ambiguous - I mean no difference between stock car with Dual port BOV and chipped car with Dual port BOV! There is a slight noise without the BOV in either case though.

Kai
04-05-2007, 12:38 PM
What? Rubbish.

There was almost no difference between my car stock and chipped with a Turbosmart Dual port BOV.

I quite like it, gives a nice PSHHH sound.. I think it sounded better when it was stock though - Less pressure meant it made a slightly different noise, with more boost it sounds more direct and quicker.

:S no idea what mine was doing then... :D

beefa
04-05-2007, 12:53 PM
Hey mate,

I have the standard forge 007 DV on its way to me as we speak. I looked around and found more articles that recommend not going down this avenue (the venting to atmosphere or a splitter valve) with VW and Audi engines. Yes it will give you some noise, but you will lose some tune in doing so.

Shame cause I wouldnt mind a bit more noise myself. The standard DV can be heard when your driving it hard (lol with the windows down along a section of road that is as close to a Japanese Togue track as you will ever find in Syd )

Just a tip, I found more infor when including Audi in my google searches.

BL33SU
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
What? Rubbish.

:D mines stock and u can hear it

SoVeReIgN
04-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Hey mate,

I have the standard forge 007 DV on its way to me as we speak. I looked around and found more articles that recommend not going down this avenue (the venting to atmosphere or a splitter valve) with VW and Audi engines. Yes it will give you some noise, but you will lose some tune in doing so.

Shame cause I wouldnt mind a bit more noise myself. The standard DV can be heard when your driving it hard (lol with the windows down along a section of road that is as close to a Japanese Togue track as you will ever find in Syd )

Just a tip, I found more infor when including Audi in my google searches.

Most people dont recommend full atmospheric BOV but a splitter is fine.

I definently havent noticed 'losing some tune', my A/F ratios on the dyno are perfect and a new DV is less prone to leaking boost (only really an issue in chipped cars)
I have noticed boost doesn't drop off so dramatically between changes. With the stock DV, once I changed gears I would have to wait momentarily for boost to kick back in, with the aftermarket DV it is always ready and waiting (to pounce :D )

dodgeGTI
04-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey mate,

I have the standard forge 007 DV on its way to me as we speak.

Beefa is your DUB chipped.. apparently you'll get a good sound from the 007 then. Is that what you've found in your research?

dodgeGTI
04-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Most people dont recommend full atmospheric BOV but a splitter is fine.

I definently havent noticed 'losing some tune', my A/F ratios on the dyno are perfect and a new DV is less prone to leaking boost (only really an issue in chipped cars)
I have noticed boost doesn't drop off so dramatically between changes. With the stock DV, once I changed gears I would have to wait momentarily for boost to kick back in, with the aftermarket DV it is always ready and waiting (to pounce :D )

SoVeReIgN did your turbosmart fit straight out of the box?

SoVeReIgN
04-05-2007, 01:35 PM
SoVeReIgN did your turbosmart fit straight out of the box?

Most definently, as I said - It literally takes all of 10seconds to swap. :)

Unscrew 2 ring grips, pull out 3 pipes and remove stock dv - then do the opposite.

:D

beefa
04-05-2007, 02:09 PM
Beefa is your DUB chipped.. apparently you'll get a good sound from the 007 then. Is that what you've found in your research?

Not yet... another couple weeks :) and will make sure i have the new DV installed before I chip it.

fuzion
04-05-2007, 05:49 PM
doin forge orders this month if anyones interested in stuff lemme know (tips/dvs etc)

shaneth
05-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Just in case you didn't know they are very illegal as well.

Can i ask where you got this information from please????

Kai
05-05-2007, 09:03 AM
Can i ask where you got this information from please????

Any person who has owned an import will know of this :P

As it vents to the atmosphere its deemed illegal cause they want you to run the excess air through the cat.

You can get defected for that or undue noise. Which undue noise is 3 points and really harsh.

shaneth
05-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Well that is indeed news to me. As i have been in many imported cars with bovs and have never been pulled up by copsfor a BOV. I can understand a cop getting you for undue noise with a trumpet bov but a normal one that makes a slight noise i wouldnt have thought so. Have had cops scoure an ebay and picked other things but never said anything about the BOV which was right there in front of them and they new there stuff. I would like to read the law that states it.

MACCAA
05-05-2007, 06:32 PM
Any BOV that vents to the atmosphere is illegal-you're modifying the Emission control of the vehicle,and that's a big No-No.Sure there's plenty of people using them,but if they get pulled up they won't have a leg to stand on.