PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T conversion information

h100vw
04-01-2006, 03:56 AM
http://www.qpeng.com/

The site of a fairly well known modifier from the UK. Ben Leach, he built a MK1 1.8T syncro the other year.

Gavin

rallye driver
18-03-2006, 05:19 AM
i bought one of his plug and play kits, it was so simple to wire up it took about 30 mins.http://cars.vage.ie/syncro/albums/userpics/10002/Dsc00674.jpg

rallye driver
18-03-2006, 05:21 AM
http://www.cars.vage.ie/syncro/albums/userpics/10002/Dsc00707.jpg

Golfwise
19-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Looks great.Where are you and what sort of gearbox are you using.
Is your mk2 a 4 or 2 door.
Have spoken to Ben about using his system too and with our k03s should get about 240 hp.
:D

rallye driver
20-03-2006, 08:43 AM
its a 2 door but im in Ireland, i lived in sydney for a year last year though!, i met a few of the guys from here at the vw nationals.

im using a mk4 golf gti o2j gearbox, the engine is from a seat leon but its the early non vvt version without the ko3s so its only 205 bhp on the QPE ecu

TassieGTi
20-03-2006, 12:10 PM
AWESOME conversion :) Ben's plug and play kits seem like the best way to go! Great value really and how simple if it only took you 30 mins! As Golfwise said, our 20V is an ARX from a 2001 Bora, so has a KO3S Turbo, good for 230hp with this plug and play kit! Keep us updated on your conversion :)

45set
20-03-2006, 06:08 PM
so does that mean it'll fit in a Mk2 Ibiza??? this could save me from selling it and buying something more expensive.

TassieGTi
20-03-2006, 06:46 PM
so does that mean it'll fit in a Mk2 Ibiza??? this could save me from selling it and buying something more expensive.

Sure will :) If it fits snug in a MK1 it will get in your Ibiza :wink:

rallye driver
01-04-2006, 11:58 AM
http://cars.vage.ie/syncro/albums/userpics/10002/Dsc00712.jpg

its nearly finished, a bit of tidying to do

TassieGTi
01-04-2006, 04:18 PM
Nice Work :wink: Let us know how it goes when you get it running! Have to send off my harness to Ben to be modified and sent back with the rest of the kit! Pointless paying for a new harness!

golf3
01-04-2006, 05:54 PM
So where is a good spot to source one of these motors and boxes???

I'm thinking a wrecked car, or a half cut, or even from a spare parts dealer....????

And the most important thing, how much for the motor and the rest...

(for a mk3)

Golf Loon
01-04-2006, 09:43 PM
Best source in Australia would be a damaged car auction. Go a week or so after a rainy spell.

roccodingo
01-04-2006, 09:52 PM
So where is a good spot to source one of these motors and boxes???

I'm thinking a wrecked car, or a half cut, or even from a spare parts dealer....????

And the most important thing, how much for the motor and the rest...

(for a mk3)

There was a dude ( kennya ??) on the tex selling off his damaged Mk 4 GTi engine a while back, dunno if he ever sold it ?? IIRC he was asking about 5K for the mechanicals..

I paid 2500 US $ for a set of 2003 Jetta mechanicals..( all the stuff for the swap sans mounts..), but you can buy em in UK lots cheaper than that...then you have to get the bitz here.. :wink:

golf3
04-04-2006, 12:28 PM
I just got back from pickles auctions in tullamarine melbourne...

There was side damaged 2003 Audi A3 that had a 1.8t and 5speed manual gearbox...

It ended up being sold for $6250...

Maybe next time i could get that, and strip the jesus out of the car!!

Golf Loon
04-04-2006, 02:16 PM
That seems a lot for a damaged car. Better to buy one that cant be reregistered as you get it cheaper.

evorobin
04-04-2006, 10:40 PM
S3 was sold in Canberra after a mate rolled it. He thought it would go for $10K+ but I made him promise to tell me when it was going under. He didn't and it didn't fetch anywhere near that!

The new owner is very lucky :wink:

golf3
04-04-2006, 11:05 PM
mallie???

yeah, that was rooted and would've been ok, if you wanted quatrro...

Golfwise
05-04-2006, 09:44 AM
That seems a lot for a damaged car. Better to buy one that cant be reregistered as you get it cheaper.

Everything has a value and late 1.8 ts are valuable so pay the going price.
Most of these engines are going back into the same models where the owner has stuffed his A3 or his mk4 GTI mechanically and they can justify spending more getting their $25k ride back on the road whereas we want to put them into cars with a lot less value.
I thought $6K was cheap for a complete car with no damage around the motor.A unregisterable wreck is usually so bad that your mechanical bits are stuffed and thats why its cheaper.

There's no other way bar stealing one than paying going values.

MK2 GTI
29-04-2006, 02:52 PM
Is there any site on getting the 1.8T motor going without the plug and play kit. Because i've been told it's now illegal to get a car registered with an aftermarket ecu. Im talking about the ECU that comes with the 1.8T and not the ECU in my car at the moment.

Golf Loon
29-04-2006, 07:50 PM
Is there any site on getting the 1.8T motor going without the plug and play kit. Because i've been told it's now illegal to get a car registered with an aftermarket ecu. Im talking about the ECU that comes with the 1.8T and not the ECU in my car at the moment.

It just means you have to get the car engineered to run aftermarket ecu. But you need to do that anyway when putting in the 1.8T.

roccodingo
29-04-2006, 08:39 PM

Go have a look at Kirsten's web site, this will give you an idea of what is really involved to do a conversion correctly. Take particular note to the wiring sections...:roll:

http://www.funksoulkitty.org/

h100vw
01-05-2006, 09:17 PM

I think you may need to read below.

Up in the UK custom-code.co.uk can deafeat the immobiliser just this kind of install. You can run a complete factory set up without having to use the clocks and keyreader etc.

The cost in the UK is £200 on top of what ever remap you require. All plus VAT here. It is not available on it's own unfortunately, but why would you fit the engine and not turn it up to 11 :lol:

Obviously you have started thinking thats loads. However once you go stand alone and spend a packet on mapping and rolling road time it makes sense.

The other point you have is the distance to the UK. This should not be a issue from next month.

I am moving to Adelaide and have already signed up as a Custom-Code agent. There will be some ECUs that I don't have the ability to flash, early 110 TDi for example. These require replacement chips installing in most cases.

Anything more modern than this can generally be flashed through the OBD port while in the car or by powering up the ECU on the bench, this applies to DBW and non-BDW as well as the PDs. This gives me the ability to do the remaps by post if required.

Clearly any existing faults would have to be cleared up prior to the flash taking place. Even in the short time I have been doing this, most cars unless brand new, require some attention on top of the remap to work 100%. Usual suspects being MAFs, DVs and boost leaks etc. Thankfully, VAG-COM is a great tool for hunting these snags out.

If any of the above information is of interest to you guys downunder don't hesitate to contact me through the forum. I will be setting up a website etc when I land.

Thanks

Gavin