PDA

View Full Version : HELP i think i F***ked the run in~!

kinezo
03-05-2007, 11:30 PM
hey guys, i dunno but i read the manual agian inregarding to running it and i think i fu**ked it!
ive been driving it hard, like i took on a skyline gtst at about 60KM:S and yeh i won though:) but the thing is ive been driving it pretty hard fromt he start and braking is fine no hard braking but thumping it aswell as using paddle shift revvin it up to 5-5500RPM and stuff. currently is on 850km. so ive been driving like this since from the floor and im worried about my perforamnce in the end and the GTI's potential!
have i abused it 2 hard from the beginning? or what
have i ruined the running in period or what?
im so worried

nassdeutsch
04-05-2007, 12:02 AM
I wouldnt worry too much. The motors are run in anyway before it lands in your hands. If your really stressed, maybe change the oil at 1500 just to make sure that any little bits and pieces in the motor are out. Just drive it noe conservativly for the next couple of thousand. I have just gone past 1000 kms and too be honest i have noticed no difference in the motor at all. I reckon your biggest problem your facing is that plastic stone guard. take that off, i think my mum has one of those on her car!!!

ibeezer
04-05-2007, 12:50 AM
Glad ta hear ya spanked a Skyline, keep up the good work. This might help. I read an article in "Evo" or Topgear" that said that the majority of modern engines are designed and built to tolerate stresses and forces well in excess of anything the public might put them through. Warrantys provided by manufacturers usualy cover only the early stages of the cars life. To reduce warranty claims on new vehicles, car companies recommend "run in" periods. In the article they interview an ex engineer from Jaguar or Ford who says something along the lines of, a new engine is more likely to fail due to constant heavy load and low revolutions, rather than prolonged high revolutions. Not sure about your gearbox etc, but i reckon it means you can safely rev the nuts out of em, just dont tow caravans

kinezo
04-05-2007, 01:01 AM
Glad ta hear ya spanked a Skyline, keep up the good work. This might help. I read an article in "Evo" or Topgear" that said that the majority of modern engines are designed and built to tolerate stresses and forces well in excess of anything the public might put them through. Warrantys provided by manufacturers usualy cover only the early stages of the cars life. To reduce warranty claims on new vehicles, car companies recommend "run in" periods. In the article they interview an ex engineer from Jaguar or Ford who says something along the lines of, a new engine is more likely to fail due to constant heavy load and low revolutions, rather than prolonged high revolutions. Not sure about your gearbox etc, but i reckon it means you can safely rev the nuts out of em, just dont tow caravans

THANKS IBEEZER! i feel kinda more comfatable but yeh calling dealer to double check things, he races them so its all cool:)! but yeh towing wise, hrmmm i got a territory for that:) but yeh should i do an early oil change then? about 3000km?

gpk_gti
04-05-2007, 07:50 AM
change the oil at 1500...any small bits will come out then.one day you will be happy with yourself for driving it hard from new!! your car will be a rocket and will eat other gti's for breakfast.
anyway before you have thrashed it,2 truckies have had a go,2 wharfies also,and some pre delivery monkey has also given it a hit!!!:D

drb999
04-05-2007, 10:06 AM
anyway before you have thrashed it,2 truckies have had a go,2 wharfies also,and some pre delivery monkey has also given it a hit!!!:D

That's so funny... and so true! :)

Bing56
04-05-2007, 07:08 PM
Ah man don't worry drive it like ya stole the thing. Just keep away from the market and shopping trolleys. I had mine parked in what I thought was a safe area of a shopping centre car park, while I went to have a hair cut, When I returned this dear lady was using the front bumper of my GTI to rest her shopping trolley on while loading the goodies into the boot of her crap box fordj: . After some nice words about ferral behaviour and no apology forth comming from the women, I lost it, and sent her trolley to a distant gutter where it ended up on its side with the balance of her corn flakes and cat food in the gutter. The moral of the story is : dont f--- with the GTI. End of winge and I now feel much better.

kinezo
04-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Ah man don't worry drive it like ya stole the thing. Just keep away from the market and shopping trolleys. I had mine parked in what I thought was a safe area of a shopping centre car park, while I went to have a hair cut, When I returned this dear lady was using the front bumper of my GTI to rest her shopping trolley on while loading the goodies into the boot of her crap box fordj: . After some nice words about ferral behaviour and no apology forth comming from the women, I lost it, and sent her trolley to a distant gutter where it ended up on its side with the balance of her corn flakes and cat food in the gutter. The moral of the story is : dont f--- with the GTI. End of winge and I now feel much better.

LOL!!!!!! thats the most utter truth there is in this world! dont fu** with a GTI! MY fast will eat you! lol
man i hate parking my gti i get so worried and ****! im at uni and im like f*** i better not get keyed cause i left the Ps on, i better not get a ticket cause im parkin in a permit zone*as usaul*(im nto payin 550$ for a parkin spot) i rather contribute it to buy my upgrade, AND getting hit by a ****ty P platers 2001 hyundei GETZ! *sigh*

SoVeReIgN
04-05-2007, 11:53 PM
Ah I wouldnt worry about it at all.

Most people that know engines will tell you to drive the car very hard for the first ~1000kms to help bed the rings in, gives the car more power later on in life and the rings don't wear out as quickly.

But just make sure you get the oil changed at 1000/1500km to get rid of all the crap that the engine has in from the manufacturing process.

gpk_gti
05-05-2007, 07:25 AM
good advise sovereign!! my cousin got the r32 yesterday and I showed him this thread...

BING56---- I have been there too,but mine was,dONT MESS WITH THE VR6!!!! I absolutely hate the shopping center car park...most dangerous place in the universe(full of ------- add your type of idiot/bogan) fpmsl!!:D :D :D

REDMKVGTI
11-05-2007, 06:39 PM
So you guys generally recommend changing the oil at 1000-1500k's. The stealer and service manager that I spoke to assured me it was not necessary.

I've done it with every other car I've had in the past, so was thinking it cant hurt to do it again...

blur32
11-05-2007, 08:38 PM
So you guys generally recommend changing the oil at 1000-1500k's. The stealer and service manager that I spoke to assured me it was not necessary.

I've done it with every other car I've had in the past, so was thinking it cant hurt to do it again...

Well now you've finally got it....look after it! Still do the change. Even if they charge a token amount, it's worth getting done.

Glad you got the little red wagen today, congrat's!!!:) :) :) I feel like I have gone thru the whole waiting process all over again with you daily countdown...i can sleep well tonight! lol

Pic's then please