PDA

View Full Version : overheating

Sam O'Neill
03-01-2006, 09:58 PM
hi

my mk1 runs hot... really hot. ive been told they all run warm, but after 10 minutes driving the temp gauge is in the orange. ive replaced the thermostat with an aftermarket neuspeed one. what could be the problem? let me know

Golf Loon
03-01-2006, 10:19 PM
Back flush the radiator and throw the thermostat away. that means your car will underheat, which is not a problem in the heat.

imported_brackie
04-01-2006, 04:21 AM
Back flush the radiator and throw the thermostat away. that means your car will underheat, which is not a problem in the heat.
Yeah...But put the theremostat back in after the summer heat or fuel consumption and engine wear will increase dramatically.....especially on shory runs. Backflushing the rad sometimes works, but really it needs to be cleaned out properly. A lot of rad repairers won't touch Al/plastic rads but you can carefully uncrimp a tank and clean it yourself. A new seal is good to have, but I've got away with using the old one in the past.

silva1
09-01-2006, 10:35 PM
that could also be the sender unit as well, either not working properly or not the corresponding unit for your instrument cluster, sometimes the printed circut can even break down & they are near impossible to get for a mk1
best to check your radiator water temp with a thermometer to see what the temp actually is & then take it from there
regards ian

Ryan
18-02-2006, 07:01 PM
don't forget to check the water pump aswel!

aussieg60
18-02-2006, 11:23 PM
Does your fan not turn on ?

Volksee77
19-02-2006, 04:13 AM
with the printed circuit, if it has failed I have found a semi retired auto electrician who usually works on triumph, fiat, lancia & alfa's who can actually rebuild the fuse box circuitry good as new so if you discover that is the problem give me a bell and i'll give you his number. I've had 3 rebuild so far and it is amazing the results, no more voltage drop or hot wires required!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Luke