PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic Roof

spaz74
23-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Heard that the panoramic roof is causing delays so Skoda have/will remove it as an option for the Superb Wagon in Australia (as well as the UK). Depending on what you read then I would doubt we will see it back. I believe there are about 10 spots left for Australian purchases. Have others heard the same?

dodgey
23-10-2010, 06:05 PM
Yep, talked to the dealer at the motorshow and he said that they can't take any orders with panoramic roof as an option until further notice...

CanberravRS
24-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Heard that the panoramic roof is causing delays so Skoda have/will remove it as an option for the Superb Wagon in Australia (as well as the UK). Depending on what you read then I would doubt we will see it back. I believe there are about 10 spots left for Australian purchases. Have others heard the same?

I removed it from my order back in May, as not only is it really not suited to Aus ( due to our more extreme sunlight conditions to EU), but that it would have meant a possible Dec/Jan delivery

Damo105
25-10-2010, 07:14 PM
I have a panoramic roof in my Peugeot. Admittedly it's a fixed roof, so differs from the Superb option, but let me tell you a glass roof adds a serious amount of heat to the car in summer. On a 40C day in Melbourne, you can almost feel your ears burning when you get in the car due to the heat being radiated off the roof.

spaz74
25-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Wouldn't tinting it help?

CanberravRS
26-10-2010, 09:14 AM
The panoramic roof and blind are a nice to have idea, but unless the car is ventilated well whilst sitting out in the sun its going to get stinking hot.. have a mate with a golf wagon with a panorama roof, and it gets so hot inside the car. Other thing is the glare is continual when the sun is over head and you are continually catching glimpses of the sun in the corner of your eyes as you drive around.. really not a good idea safety wise.

BlackSuperb
26-10-2010, 09:36 AM
My previous Outback had a huge sunroof in it, almost as big as the panoramic roof in the Superb wagon (well almost as big) and I didn't notice it being any hotter than it would have been in a full roof car. Parked in the sun with the blind over it and it was as if the roof was solid anyway from a "glimpsing the sun" perspective. The most annoying thing on it was the squeaking of the sunshade.

Has the Superb Wagon roof got a sunshade? My Superb sedan has one for its sunroof and it's quite a soild affair.

Anyway, open the sunroof and drive a couple of k's and the car cools quickly.

BlackSuperb
26-10-2010, 09:38 AM
Wouldn't tinting it help?

I got my Outback tinted (in 2004 when I bought it) at Solace and they recommend not tinting the sunroof because it may cause overheating and cracking of the sunroof glass? I don't know if that's true or not. My Superb has the sunroof tinted and it hasn't cracked yet.

K1W1
26-10-2010, 09:48 AM
I have never been a sunroof fan and have never owned a car with one but SWMBO always has them. IMO the two best roofs she has had were a late 70's Porsche and a mid 80's 3 series BMW. Both had metal roofs. You could tip the back up for ventilation or open the hole up on a nice overcast day when the sun wasn't too hot but the rest of the time it was just like having a normal roof.
I'm not sure what the issues with the Panorama roof would be after all plenty of other manufacturers have used them for 10 years or so now at least but I guess it's good that they have at least identified an issue and stopped selling vehicles that are a potential problem.

spellbound
26-10-2010, 05:02 PM
Great in europe where the ozone layer is still intact ,never noticed the heat during last trip , but here iam finding it is already burny in oct with glass shut , not game to open it unless its evening , actually best time for roof open .

Had bm's in the 90,s with that loverly metal roof was very good , had the outback panorama 04 to 08 was nice but looked ugly when front poppped up in open position .

I have been wondering if you can increase the tint on the RS roof , do they get hotter than the side windows .

spaz74
26-10-2010, 09:02 PM
hmmm squeaky sun shade. I hate noise in cars it drives me batty. That is why we are getting rid of our Lexus (one small intermittent squeak) I hope the panoramic roof is ............silent, ssshhhhhh!

SkodaK
26-10-2010, 09:53 PM
My delivery date from order is now somewhere between 8 and 9 months and still counting. Reason given is the panoramic sunroof but the salesman couldn't tell me if it was a supply or quality problem, has anyone heard anything specific? Am looking forward to it, the wife has one on her X3 and it's a good thing. From the speculation it seems that in years to come, this will become one of those rare factory options.

CanberravRS
26-10-2010, 09:57 PM
From the reports of existing owners and people considering ordering a car with panoramic roof im glad that thought process only lasted a short time!

spaz74
27-10-2010, 05:23 AM
SkodaK
It is a supply issue. They just can't keep up with demand.

K1W1
27-10-2010, 06:15 AM
SkodaK
It is a supply issue. They just can't keep up with demand.

I find that interesting. Sunroofs are not made by the car manufacturers. Probably 90% of European cars have sunroofs made by Webasto so if there is a supply problem surely it would be affecting many makes and models.

spaz74
27-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Supply to VAG has been slow therefore slowing down production and therefore removed from Aust and UK orders until they can catch up. At least that is what they are saying.