PDA

View Full Version : Got my VCDS cable, what tricks can it do on a Polo?

dave_r
22-10-2010, 03:51 PM
I assume the same changes on the MK5/6 Golf's don't always flow over to the Polo? I really bought it for my car, but if there is things it can do on the Polo, why not.

Anyone played around with one yet?

FJ Steve
22-10-2010, 04:29 PM
No.....

we're all waiting for you to report back. :P

So..where did you get the cable? How much?

dave_r
22-10-2010, 06:25 PM
Hehe got it direct from Ross-Tech. Ended up being ~$417 shipped.

Just did the full autoscan, haven't tried modifying anything yet.

Came back with an error at the very start:

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010

But I suspect this means it cannot poll the item

Address 08: Auto HVAC Labels: None
Part No SW: 6R0 907 044 B HW: 6R0 907 044 B
Component: Climatronic H08 0305
VCID: x

No Faults Found
or DTCs not supported by controller
or a communication error occurred

I gotta do a bit more reading before playing with values. Hoping the auto dip side mirrors etc is possible.

FJ Steve
22-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Hehe got it direct from Ross-Tech. Ended up being ~$417 shipped.

Just did the full autoscan, haven't tried modifying anything yet.

Came back with an error at the very start:

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Malfunction 0010

But I suspect this means it cannot poll the item

VCID: x

No Faults Found

I gotta do a bit more reading before playing with values. Hoping the auto dip side mirrors etc is possible.cheers....
have you got factory fitted reverse parking sensors? I would have thought they were a necessity in order for the dipping LH mirror to operate (going on my experience with the Golf MKV)

Buller_Scott
22-10-2010, 06:41 PM
nice work, dave!

i've been toying with the idea of spending my tax refund on one of these (although i might go ahead and get all bushes / drop links + new tyres done)...

as far as polos go, im not sure how much it would differ between the 9n / 9n3 and the 6r, but you might want to shoot forum member "noone" (ben) a pm, as it appears that he has played around with his vag-com a fair bit, and knows whats going on.

i'd love one simply to be able to do stuff like diagnose error messages, see what IAT's look like, pressures etc.... as well as changing the "comfort indicate" thing from 3 blinks to 7...

Billecartz
22-10-2010, 08:31 PM
cheers....
have you got factory fitted reverse parking sensors? I would have thought they were a necessity in order for the dipping LH mirror to operate (going on my experience with the Golf MKV)

I have the factory reverse sensors! The dipping mirror would excellent.

Jasonpb
23-10-2010, 07:44 AM
At the moment nothing is labeled, I have provided Dana from Ross-tech the debug logs and they are in the process of working it all out so should see something soon.

This is entirely up to you and I would backup your settings first but one example from her after I sent in the logs...

"Based on the adaptation channels from the map, I am reasonably confident that the number of comfort blinks (lane change) are in Adaptation Ch.
43. Please change that channel to a new value of 4 and save it. If it doesn't activate the flashers 4 times, change it back to the original value of 3."

dave_r
23-10-2010, 09:31 AM
cheers....
have you got factory fitted reverse parking sensors?
Nah, missed out on the initial batch. Would have been nice but the missus has got used to the car and doesn't need them.

i'd love one simply to be able to do stuff like diagnose error messages, see what IAT's look like, pressures etc.... as well as changing the "comfort indicate" thing from 3 blinks to 7...
I'll try some live logging stuff later just for ****s and giggles but I'll wait for more info to come before doing any edits.

At the moment nothing is labeled, I have provided Dana from Ross-tech the debug logs and they are in the process of working it all out so should see something soon.
Ah I was about to post on their Yahoo groups or email them as I haven't found much info on the 6R anywhere. I gave up trying to use google translate on a German VCDS forum (http://translate.google.com.au/translate?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.vagcomforum.de/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D10152&ei=SBTCTI3YHIbqvQPlx7zfCA&sa=X&oi=translate&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CDUQ7gEwBQ&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpolo%2B6r%2Bvcds%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%2 6prmd%3Div) hehe. I'll sit tight and wait as well. Might fwd Ross-Tech my autoscan as well, more info can't hurt I guess.

armthehomeless
25-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I've been toying with getting one of these. Am I correct in thinking you can use it to make small edits to the computer? I.e. as said above, changing lane change assist number of flashes and I read elsewhere you can make the RCD310 and bluetooth work with A2DP streaming.

Jasonpb
25-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Well installed an RNS-510 today and got the coding 99.99% right, just one little issue which is purely an error message, well I can't find anything functionaly wrong and it will all be done. Unit was about $900 on ebay for a brand new (manufactured last month) unit and makes a big difference in the car.

dave_r
26-10-2010, 01:50 AM

Dana gave me a process to do some debugging on the HVAC result I got, will do that on the weekend and feed it back. Car isn't at my place during the week so haven't had much time to play around!

Jasonpb
26-10-2010, 08:04 AM
Dana gave me a process to do some debugging on the HVAC result I got, will do that on the weekend and feed it back. Car isn't at my place during the week so haven't had much time to play around!

What result did you get?

VCID: 3261ECE8D45D

No Faults Found

Jasonpb
26-10-2010, 08:08 AM
Ahh I see on page one, paste your long coding info for the HVAC

dave_r
26-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Ahh I see on page one, paste your long coding info for the HVAC
Have to wait till the weekend when the missus is over.

Dana said the following:

We haven't received any reports about this HVAC module. Please go directly to 08-Auto HVAC and see if you have a similar message when clicking on fault codes.
If you do, we can run a debug to help determine what's causing it. You would go to Program Options from the main screen of VCDS and enter the Debug level of 1024.
Click Save and proceed to 08-Auto HVAC module. Once you are connected to it, click on fault codes and let it display the communication error occurred message. Exit and close VCDS.
You will find a file named DEBUG08.DLM in this location on that PC: C:\Ross-Tech\VCDS\Debug

dave_r
21-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Figured I'd give you people an update. I've been feeding back control maps and debugs to Dana for the Polo. Looks like they'll have to do some updates as the HVAC module causes VCDS to crash or lockup.

Gotta say, the support from RossTech is fantastic. Really polishes off the product.

Unit was about $900 on ebay for a brand new (manufactured last month) unit and makes a big difference in the car.
Just on that, where do you fit the GPS antenna etc, did you take any pics?

Jasonpb
22-11-2010, 08:16 AM
Figured I'd give you people an update. I've been feeding back control maps and debugs to Dana for the Polo. Looks like they'll have to do some updates as the HVAC module causes VCDS to crash or lockup.

Gotta say, the support from RossTech is fantastic. Really polishes off the product.

Just on that, where do you fit the GPS antenna etc, did you take any pics?

I haven't had my VCDS crash or lock up as yet.

Didn't take pictures, I removed the A/C vents and put it up under the dash using 3M double sided foam tape. I have the bluetooth module here that needs installing so might grab a few pictures when I install that.

dave_r
22-11-2010, 10:14 AM
I haven't had my VCDS crash or lock up as yet.
We tried a few things with different debug levels.

I have the bluetooth module here that needs installing so might grab a few pictures when I install that.
That'd be great, if it doesn't look too hard, I'd think about fitting both to the missus car :)

Jasonpb
22-11-2010, 04:51 PM
We tried a few things with different debug levels.

That'd be great, if it doesn't look too hard, I'd think about fitting both to the missus car :)

Sat nav was 4 torx bolts to remove the unit and the plastic trims are easily enough to remove, you need to remove a few more torx bolts holding in some of the plastic panels but that's about the extent of it.

Bluetooth doesn't look as easy since the cable they give you isn't long enough to do the install under the drivers seat so it's going to have to go under the sat nav unit if it fits....

dave_r
22-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Sounds easy enough, will keep that one up my sleeve :D

Jasonpb
23-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Ok bit of an update, bluetooth install took around 40mins, got a slight error in the logs which I believe is purely because I don't have the touch buttons on the roof for the bluetooth unit so it's logging an open short.

Synched my galaxy S and made a call, all working plus the contacts are listing. I have contacted ross-tech to hopefull get an update on when they will be finished labeling everything in the ECU for the polo so I can enable the phone settings in the MFD.

So brand new RNS-510 and bluetooth 730c unit installed for under $1300AUD.

dave_r
23-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I had some email with Dana this morning. They are working on a beta of VCDS and he's got all the debug info he needs from the Polo for now. They've even bought the same HVAC module as the Polo to work out the comms issue.

He mentioned the Polo does things a bit different which I understand the next beta will cover:
Some of the modules installed in this vehicle use the UDS protocol,
so maps aren't possible. UDS control modules do not support
conventional Adaptation channels, Measuring Blocks or Basic
Settings.
He gave the example of resetting the service interval being a UDS protocol?

So brand new RNS-510 and bluetooth 730c unit installed for under $1300AUD.
Great value there!

Jasonpb
23-11-2010, 11:08 AM
I had some email with Dana this morning. They are working on a beta of VCDS and he's got all the debug info he needs from the Polo for now. They've even bought the same HVAC module as the Polo to work out the comms issue.

He mentioned the Polo does things a bit different which I understand the next beta will cover:
Some of the modules installed in this vehicle use the UDS protocol,
so maps aren't possible. UDS control modules do not support
conventional Adaptation channels, Measuring Blocks or Basic
Settings.
He gave the example of resetting the service interval being a UDS protocol?

Great value there!

Odd as that's something I can change, it's currently set to 30,000km from the dealership guessing they didn't bother to change it from the default setting.

There are a few modules that aren't communicating as expected but the ones you were having issues with worked on mine I just didn't have anything tagged which makes it hard to change things just based on the byte code.

Maybe there's different revisions of the ECU? Dana has all my debug logs so hopefully between mine and yours they have worked it out, I did give up sending them further logs as they were getting confused between me and you.

dave_r
23-11-2010, 11:12 AM
haha, yeh he said he had enough info now. I haven't tried changing anything though, just played with live data stuff while the missus was driving. I tried to tell her about all the data as we went but she just called me a nerd lol.

It is possible some of my earlier issues were due to A/V software. I'm gonna install a clean XP install just for using VCDS as I might have had a few things running in Win7 that posed issues.

Jasonpb
24-11-2010, 12:09 PM
Beta version is out that has some updated polo stuff in it, still not everything but it's a start

dave_r
24-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Beta version is out that has some updated polo stuff in it, still not everything but it's a start

No longer a beta, main ver was updated as of 23rd and everything incorporated. Can't find the release notes though, link shows mid year release? Will try it this weekend if I have time.

FJ Steve
26-04-2011, 05:12 PM
so...Ross-Tech now support the 6R Polo with the MicroCan interface? Ross-Tech Store: VCDS License with Micro-CAN Interface (http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCuCAN.html)

'cos when I plug the VIN into their website ..... it doesn't show which set is recommended (unlike when I plug the VIN for the .:R32 in there...it comes up with the above link).

Only want to buy one cable/license....

sVWatt
27-04-2011, 06:22 PM
So....what tricks can you do?

daljames
08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Any updats on how things are going with VCDS? I use it for my 1997 Audi A8 and love the software. Ill have to buy the HEX CAN cable for the Polo i am getting i think, however want to know how it is going with all the modules in the Polo... Any info?

PoloDave
08-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Just got a cheap cable for €40, all VCDS versions included. Installed version 11.10 (latest beta) and there's nothing extra you can do over 11.8, so it seems the available options are all found so far

Cheap cable works perfect though! :)

JonW
11-04-2012, 09:53 AM
Dave, can you PM me the cheap cable supplier info as Im keen to have a play when my car comes... thanks. :)

Banana2
12-04-2012, 06:59 AM
gavs has done some work on this, too. Posted it here:

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f153/vcds-6r-polo-primarily-gti-60641.html