PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T Cost price??

huss
19-10-2010, 10:50 PM
Hi guys, Im sorta new to this :rolleyes: but im in the planning stage of adding up all the financial costs involved in putting a 1.8T into my 75' TS Passat. Was planning on using a 1.8T AEB engine.

My question is any idea's how much these engines cost?? I've been told ranges from $1500AU - $2500AU. Any idea what a good price for a good condition engine is??

P.S. Any rough ideas on the full cost of a conversion like this would be appreciated.

h100vw
20-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Those numbers for the engine are about right. Fitting it in the car is another thing all together. There are a heap of other things to consider too. Like brakes and suspension.

TBH I'd think about fitting something that isn't Turbo, like a 2 litre Golf motor. I won't go as fast obviously but it would be far easier to accomplish.

Gavin

black bob
26-10-2010, 06:24 PM
yeah brakes and suspension is important to maybe upgrade

Golf Loon
08-11-2010, 07:01 AM
1.8T AEB into my Scirocco cost me about $10k with lots of free labour!

Jarred
08-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I'd be more concerned about what gearbox you are planning on using?!

Peter Jones
08-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I'd be more concerned about what gearbox you are planning on using?!

I think Jarred's onto something here. Early Passat clutches are a bit different to most other things and on most motors the clutch lever will foul the oil filter mount.

Best box would be an Audi 5 speed but they're getting pretty hard to find.

There should be plenty of room in the engine bay for the motor.

Passat engine mounts are very soft, might need some custom urethane ones. Even a 1600 rocks around in the bay like a thing possessed.

The stock radiator isn't going to cut it either, gonna need much improvement in that respect.

Brakes are much the same as MK1 Golf GTI fronts will bolt up, plenty of brake options.

One issue you'll have to overcome is that the sump will most likely foul the crossmember, you'll need to swap the passat sump over or make a custom one.